Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,940 members, 7,824,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

A Letter To All Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Letter To All Job Seekers (13189 Views)

An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn / This Elephant Manages To Escape A 14 Lion Attack(motivation For All Job Seekers) / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by kunletade(m): 8:06am On Oct 05, 2012
I am a 200l student in U.I and I actually ventured into a lot of job(Artist, Painter, Barbing, Graphic design and so on ) as an apprentice before I gain admission, now I wanted to kick start my career as a Painter but eventually don't even know where to start from because I don't want add to the country unemployment rate... Pls I need advice...
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by mkoabiola: 10:27am On Oct 05, 2012
tm2tm: I had a job opportunity that I lost, after building a cold room of 30 tonnes in a market area, for my dad who is 73 years of age and I am the first son. I was to be the manager on an initial salary of 10,000 naira. But things fell apart when my father started disregarding me through insults and other means so I got frustrated and left the whole thing. Now I am back to the labour market I am 37 and no job with a lady of 34 with me stiLl looking for a job too. I am a sham to return to my dad. I am confused...
My bro, I feel ur pains @dat ur age,
It a challenge in life,if d vacancy is stil available,it not easy going back to ur dad considering d condition,bt if u can stil cover d shame, go bak to hm ,u will av story to tell ur children.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 11:41am On Oct 05, 2012
mko abiola:
My bro, I feel ur pains @dat ur age,
It a challenge in life,if d vacancy is stil available,it not easy going back to ur dad considering d condition,bt if u can stil cover d shame, go bak to hm ,u will av story to tell ur children.
\

My brother no shame in life.
i tell people yes sir/ma even when they are 10years or more younger tham me. it is that pay check the matters.
Once you arent begging for food but rather working for it, ignore what anyone else say about you.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2012
Where's your money for advert?
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by EmmyDe25(m): 8:24pm On Oct 05, 2012
Jarus: Good one.

I have always been an advocate of 'at all, at all na hin bad' - that is, taking a job, irrespective of how meagre the pay is, in as much as your honour is intact and it is a legitimate job. This was why I fully endorsed Dangote's graduate driver scheme on the pages of newspapers.

I have a brother with MBA earning 30k per month in a small tax consultancy outfit. He was humble enough to take it. He is gaining experience at least.

Truth, like the poster said, is that you can never be satisfied. Dangote, with all his billions, is still looking for more money and complaining. When I was earning less than 200k per annum few years ago, I was complaining, it kept increasing and the complaint never stopped. Even with almost 3 times that figure now, one is still complaining. That is life.

My advice for graduates looking for job is:
1, Package yourself well. Packaging has always made great difference for me
2, Load yourself - read, read and read; be versatile, know something about everything; you will impress in tests and interviews
3, The journey starts from school - struggle for good results. There is a lot of competition in the marketplace; equip yourself with extra materials
4, Information is key. Access information. Information makes great difference in job hunting
9ce piece.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by livewire1: 8:57am On Oct 06, 2012
acidtalk: With your experience and multitasking abilities it would be very easy for you to get another job. Just keep pushing.

But on a second thought, why do most people just jump at resigning from a job when they haven't even talked things through management?

Things like salary increase, cutting down your work load, unsatisfied management decisions and others are things you can easily bring to the attention of management to correct instead of just walking out on the job.

Also, never ever resign from a job if you haven't gotten another one to replace it with.

U r right. In addition, a rule of thumb,"DON'T LEAVE YOUR CURRENT JOB ESPECIALLY WHEN NO ONE OR SITUATION IS CHASING YOU. HAVE A BACK UP JOB BEFORE TURNING IN YOUR RESIGNATION LETTER".
Your experience will speak for you later in your career.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by livewire1: 9:25am On Oct 06, 2012
iykeboyy: From what i can see in the above comments this thread is made for people who are guru in coining words. To be frank i love the way u guys contruct with words.ask 4 Me nah! i still be undergraduate nah.

More reason you should start planning ahead now. Don't forget to take your studies serious at least if you would be your own boss have a good grade.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by steroid: 10:58am On Oct 06, 2012
I am working in a multinational but I am contemplating quitting the job because it is not giving me enough time to manage my personal business and also the pay is so little compared to how much money my business gives me. my fear is what if something happens tomorrow and the business doesn't work out well, I am really confused and don't know what to do.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Strongbest(m): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2012
while sum seek 2 solve oda's problem, sum create more 4dem. 4gudness sake, watz d usefulnezz of dat link 2 sum1 who truely nids a hlp? Jxt luk at d junkz dey make u download b4 dey 'll finally ask u 2pay ya hard earned 15k 4mo junks! Imagne Sum1 dat has bin makin millnz of naira stil nidz ya 15k ...Pls b smart guys. Makeitsoon ,wadeva d name is, plz stp promotin scamz...
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by 2ndeRodriguez(m): 12:36pm On Oct 07, 2012
acidtalk: A Letter To All Job Seekers.

Dear Mr /Mrs / Miss Job seeker,
If I say I don't understand the frustration and humiliation you have been going through every single day in hope of getting a job is an understatement.

Loss of jobs, unemployment and mass retirement is a global trend the world over. From Greece, Italy, Spain, UK, and the United States there is a massive downsizing in every single organization, even fortune 500 companies are not left out. Big names like Yahoo, Google, Apple, Ericksson and others are all downsizing thereby sending more job seekers into the already over populated unemployment market.

Coming back home, the downsizing made in the banking sector which as affected several banks such as the former Intercontinental, Oceanic and others like Fin bank, Zenith, Wema, Afribank, Union bank and several others has nothing to do with the CBN governors bad policies but only a reasonable step each bank had to take to maximize profits and have a clear balance sheet.

The problem why you are still jobless is either you are too pompous and arrogant to start small by taking little jobs like sales representative or customer service agent jobs even though might not pay well or give you that job satisfaction, but will enable you clear some of your bills or you are too arrogant to apply for certain type of jobs like the opening made by Dangote for trailer drivers.

What ever decision you have been taken why have made you remain jobless, remember that for each job openings, there are over a thousand people fighting for that single position.

Also, may I inform you that most job openings you see in the dailies and on the internet are facade? As the top executives of those organizations already have their personal people to fill up those advertized positions.

Nigeria like anywhere else around the world runs on Networking, meaning those who know the right people in the right places are the ones that get fixed in job positions easily. While the menial positions are advertised for the masses to crumble over.

My advice is, as time waits for no one and you realize you aren't getting younger by each passing day, remove you coat made of Pride and Shoes made of Arrogance and take up some jobs you didn't find attractive or appealing enough before you read this letter.

I have seen people get employed as cleaners and office assistance but due to their humility, intelligence and hardwork, they rose to senior management positions within the shortest possible time. To the amazement of other staff of such organization.

A lot to be said but I will continue later. For now reflect on your life and realize there is no job irrespective of the pay package and job scope that will ever satisfy you. So why don't you get a job today while you look for a better on that eating and sleeping in your pride while other forge ahead and live you behind.

Yours Truly

Acidtalk and Family.
so so on point
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2012
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by captalex(m): 4:53pm On Oct 11, 2012
As a recent graduate entering the job market i knew it wasn't going to be a piece of cake getting a job.
I served with a small telecoms outfit in lagos and kept an open mind about whether i'll be retained or not.
I naturally HATE staying at home doing nothing ,my mates usually ask why i say that, because i believe the home is for resting/sleeping and not for dwelling during the day.
After i official stopped going to work because of the end of the NYSC term. i was forced to stay at home.I learnt that i needed rest and also spent more time with myself assessing all that i did during my time as a corper.
I analyzed all the things i would have done differently if given the chance of a permanent position.
It also allowed me the opportunity to go through numerous Cv's and Skills of some Technological professionals that i emulate and that gave me an overview of the path i would want my career to follow.
I have started reading up on application development for smartphones and also reading enterpreneural articles on how to start small businesses using existing online technological concepts to make a substantial living.I'm not actively waiting for any special 'call' for a 9-5 job. I am investing my little 'allowee' saved during the service year to train and nurture myself to be that well-rounded technology professional i always envisioned.
Hope my story helps others and myself to forge ahead in whatever area they choose to work in.

2 Likes

Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 9:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
steroid: I am working in a multinational but I am contemplating quitting the job because it is not giving me enough time to manage my personal business and also the pay is so little compared to how much money my business gives me. my fear is what if something happens tomorrow and the business doesn't work out well, I am really confused and don't know what to do.

Don't forget that it was someone or group of people that grew that company you are working with before it became a Multinational company.

You will one day need to hold the bull by the horn and concentrate of your business fully.

It might not seem to you like the best decision on some days, you will get dissapointed, tired, wick at some point in time but don't give up. There's always a tough moment in every business no matter how big or small, but ones ability to keep pushing is what makes one get to the light of the tunnel.

You either choose between Security and Freedom. All the best.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by coalcoal1(m): 7:00pm On Oct 14, 2012
This thread has been insightful and is of immense benefit for the one who will take advantage of its hidden truth
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by acidtalk: 9:41pm On Oct 14, 2012
That's the aim and objective.
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by brotherlyn(m): 10:17am On Oct 16, 2012
seunshow00: Hmmmmmm.

As if you heard my heart murmuring.

I left school in 2008 and server in 2009 in a bank. I qualified as a Chartered Accountant in May, 2010 with no job. I eventually got fixed with a firm in lekki in July, 2011 and later resigned 5months down the line due to delay of salary and other bad treatment.

After prayers and fasting at Shilo 2011, I got another job same month(December,2011). I got x2 benefits(compared to last job) though more work. I tried to keep this one not until June this year. I had to resign due to bad management,late working hours(I close 9pm,even on saturdays), work demands(I signed up as an Accountant but the role of a business manager,secretary to the CEO and Auditor was added to it lately).

I resigned June and I have been to different interviews but a new job is not fortcoming. I think I can say I am frustrated at this point and I have learnt how to stick with my job most importantly when things are't fine.

I am seriuosly confused on what should be the next chapter now. I stay with my brother who is now married and I need I place of my own as fast as possible because of the signals I'm getting from the wife.

I pray I just get a job now!!!!!!!!

This is what you should do.

Don't wait for job employment letters to come viz applications you've sent out to companies.

Begin to go from one office to another and tell them what you can do and the skills you possess and you'll be surprised
that you might just be the person they've been waiting for.

A young boy did that in my office and currently he has been considered for employment.

Please, do not permit frustration whatsoever to creep in. You'll get there!
Re: A Letter To All Job Seekers by stephano100(m): 7:00pm On Feb 19, 2016

My advice for graduates looking for job is:
1, Package yourself well. Packaging has always made great difference for me
2, Load yourself - read, read and read; be versatile, know something about everything; you will impress in tests and interviews
3, The journey starts from school - struggle for good results. There is a lot of competition in the marketplace; equip yourself with extra materials
4, Information is key. Access information. Information makes great difference in job hunting

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market / 150, 000 Nigerians To Benefit From Interswitch Empowerment Initiative / 3 Steps To Get A High Paying Job In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.