Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight (9163 Views)

Anti-corruption Fight: Only Corrupt People Afraid of PMB - Kashamu / Dasuki: Buhari On A Revenge Mission With Corruption Fight – Fayose / African Union Taps Buhari To Lead Anti-corruption Fight In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by LocalChamp: 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2012
'Apologize for Misleading Nigerians on Anti-Corruption Fight,’ ACN Tells President Jonathan

Posted: October 3, 2012 - 04:11

By SaharaReporters, New York
The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to apologize unreservedly to Nigerians for misleading them on the blunder concerning the alleged positive rating given to the country by the global anti-corruption body, Transparency International.

In a statement issued in Lagos today by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, ACN expressed shock and sadness that the President of Africa's most populous nation and the continent's second largest economy can make such a frivolous claim on an issue of global concern as corruption.

''Transparency International has denied claims by President Jonathan, in his 52nd independence anniversary speech on Monday, that the global body has rated Nigeria as the second most improved country in the fight against corruption,'' the statement said, noting that the ACN’s demand for an apology came after it saw a copy of Transparency International's response to inquiries on the President's claim.

“Transparency International does not have a recent rating or report that places Nigeria as the second most improved country in the fight against corruption,” the body said in response to enquiry by Premium Times.

''In the 2011 Corruption Perceptions Index, which measures perceived levels of public sector corruption, Nigeria scored 2.4 on a scale where 0 means highly corrupt and 10 means very clean. It was ranked 143 out of 183 countries.”

ACN said that in addition to apologizing to all Nigerians for the embarrassment, the President must immediately kick-start an investigation into the source of a claim that has exposed his Administration and the entire country to global ridicule.

Furthermore, the President, who was apparently trying to showcase the 'achievements' of his administration in the fight against corruption, has now raised doubts about the authenticity of other claims he made in the anniversary speech, the party noted.

It said: ''Among other claims, the President had said that real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) grew by 7.1 per cent on average; that his Administration's Investment Climate Reform Programme has helped to attract over N6.8 trillion local and foreign direct investment commitments, and that Nigeria is ranked first in the top 5 host economies for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inAfrica, accounting for over 20 per cent of total FDI flows into the continent.”

It stated that in view of the fact that the President's claim of positive rating for Nigeria in the anti-corruption fight has been debunked, it is logical for Nigerians to doubt the truth in the other claims, and indeed in the entire speech.

“This is very sad for the Jonathan Administration, because if the bond of trust between the government and its citizens is broken, the government's credibility suffers and, without credibility, any government is not worth its name,'' ACN said.

The party said if the President fails to act quickly to unearth the source of such a spurious claim and ensure it does not recur, he risks a bigger embarrassment from officials who may want to tweak facts and figures to justify their positions.

''In the end, the responsibility for any inaccuracy in any speech by the President rests squarely on his shoulders,'' it said.

It would be recalled that during a worship service at the National Christian Centre in Abuja on Sunday, President Jonathan attracted widespread mockery and laughter when he said that he is almost second to none in combatting corruption.

“Our commitment to the fight against corruption is second to that of America’s commitment,” he told the shocked congregation. “We are very commitment to it and everybody knows.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/%E2%80%98apologize-misleading-nigerians-anti-corruption-fight%E2%80%99-acn-tells-president-jonathan

4 Likes

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by k2039: 3:54pm On Oct 03, 2012
As much as I hate ACN with passion,I feel the president should apologise.

Less I forget,Tinubu has not apologised for lying to us that Obama invited him SPECIALLY to the democratic convection.
Tinubu is not any different from goodluck,infact he is worse.

4 Likes

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by decrox199(m): 3:56pm On Oct 03, 2012
Wat is ACN?
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by bunchyproject(m): 3:57pm On Oct 03, 2012
Na Wa o
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Afam4eva(m): 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
ACN really knows how to play this game called politics. Always releasing missiles at the right time and always targeting the right spot.

5 Likes

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
The fo.ol's pride won't let him. The man is really deluded into thinking he is working.

6 Likes

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by OjujuCalabar(m): 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
Those ACN clowns go and keep quiet. Give them the mantle of leadership in this country, they will messup. Rubbish!
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by superior1: 3:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
It was not Jonathan's fault, the opposition misled him with NOTORIOUS FACT grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Obinoscopy(m): 3:59pm On Oct 03, 2012
If Transparency International really debunked the claims by GEJ as regards Nigeria being the second most improved country in its anticorruption crusade, then he really needs to apologise to Nigerians OR ELSE...
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Seamah: 4:00pm On Oct 03, 2012
AT the rate ACN is going, soon they will start demamnding apology for rain, sun shine, if their wife dont give them food at home, if they have a flat tyre etc. honestly, these guys are becoming pathetic.

3 Likes

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by LordBabs(m): 4:00pm On Oct 03, 2012
for where? abi e don apologise ni!
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Afam4eva(m): 4:01pm On Oct 03, 2012
Seamah: AT the rate ACN is going, soon they will start demamnding apology for rain, sun shine, if their wife dont give them food at home, if they have a flat tyre etc. honestly, these guys are becoming pathetic.
No, they're not. They're just playing the game.

1 Like

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by tevinsolt: 4:01pm On Oct 03, 2012
Yes, and every other party in power including ACN, it's not like they are doing much better anyways except for lagos.
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Abujafood: 4:01pm On Oct 03, 2012
So GEJ should apologise to Nigerians that way making him admit his folly! ACN is this a political point you want to score or do you love Nigerians so much that you believe they deserve this apology?

Let's not forget that your strong Man - Tinubu who criticised Jonathan's Power Reforms Program is among those justling to acquire a major power plant in the south west!
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by inspirenet: 4:02pm On Oct 03, 2012
superior1: It was not Jonathan's fault, the opposition misled him with the NOTORIOUS FACT grin grin grin grin

What difference would it make if he apologizes?

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by ballabriggs: 4:03pm On Oct 03, 2012
This is to show you how fraudulent Nigerian leaders are. A President's speech is meant to give the citizens hope. Our own President's speech is designed to mislead and deceive the people by feeding them with lies.

Heads should roll in that Jonadunce media team. What value do they add to Jonadunces image rather than drink his Sapele water and eat his cassava loaf. This is unforgivable, it is a crime against the Nigerian people. It is tantamount to arm robbery.

1 Like

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by superior1: 4:03pm On Oct 03, 2012
inspirenet:

What difference would it make if he apologizes?

Cheap political score for ACN
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by earthgreeners(m): 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2012
k2039: As much as I hate ACN with passion,I feel the president should apologise.

Less I forget,Tinubu has not apologised for lying to us that Obama invited him SPECIALLY to the democratic convection.

Tinubu did not at anytime stated that Obama invited him...therefore, STFU

1 Like

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by gabriel212: 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2012
Very bad that some group of people paid to perform their civic responsibility had misled the whole nation n had subjected the country to rididule among other nation i felt sowry.
D president should sack all of them in the media room section. shikena.
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by tjskii(f): 4:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
So will his apology put food on my table or fuel in my car,mmsscheeww bunch of miscreants angry

1 Like

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by SisiKill1: 4:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
I don't get it. . .I honestly don't get it. How clueless can one be not to know what they did or didn't do? I mean this is like someone telling me I won a gold medal for a race I never ran and me throwing a party to celebrate.

Is it that the GEJ thinks his mere presence as the president and not any action from him is supposed to curb corruption? Is that why he was so quick to embrace the so called "Notorious fact"? I am seriously, seriously confused!! embarassed

Now his defenders are going to blame "His Enemies". . .they will be right of course but they are looking in the wrong direction. The President's enemies are the people he has surrounded himself with. I don't think anyone can do as much damage has they have done even if they paid them. undecided

4 Likes

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by superior1: 4:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
ballabriggs: This is to show you how fraudulent Nigerian leaders are. A President's speech is meant to give the citizens hope. Our own President's speech is designed to mislead and deceive the people by feeding them with lies.

Heads should roll in that Jonadunce media team put together. This is unforgivable. This is a crime against the Nigerian people. It is tantamount to arm robbery.

It was just a Notorious fact, haba forgive oga Jona noww
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Demdem(m): 4:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
The Retardeen goofed and he has accepted he did not once but twice (on live TV and inside the house of GOD). An Apology should come next if truly he is an Honorable man

1 Like

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Alonga: 4:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
Dis ACN people i dont no what is wrong with dem self,talkg talking,u people shld bring idea dat can make d country move fward.
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by earthgreeners(m): 4:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
decrox199: Wat is ACN?

Action Congress of Nigeria,
The best political party in Nigeria. atleast for now
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by ijigbamigb(m): 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
Good message, Bad messenger.
GEJ should apologize for lying. We will understand its was not his fault but that of his aides.
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by nicky4lif(f): 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
Who begged u ACN?because u want nigeirans to vote for u guys in 2015 that why u guys are sounding like God sent u to deliver nigeria.
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by earthgreeners(m): 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
Alonga: Dis ACN people i dont no what is wrong with dem self,talkg talking,u people shld bring idea dat can make d country move fward.

like the republicans are giving ideas to the Democrats..... go sleep abeg
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by psmile(m): 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
;Dppolitics na wa oo.well,gej try sha
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by Demdem(m): 4:07pm On Oct 03, 2012
k2039: [color=#FF0099] As much as I hate ACN with passion,I feel the president should apologise.

What my business with Tinubu? Is he the President?

1 Like

Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by oradee: 4:07pm On Oct 03, 2012
...and if he doesnt apologize? these people keep roaring like paper tigers.

they shld just get a life... undecided undecided
Re: ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight by earthgreeners(m): 4:07pm On Oct 03, 2012
Ojuju Calabar: Those ACN clowns go and keep quiet. Give them the mantle of leadership in this country, they will messup. Rubbish!

give them first and lets see how it goes...we are just tired of d taboo called PDP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ogun State Generates N15B In 10 Months For The Year 2014 / Millitary Please Come And Take Over Before Its Messed Up Completely / Saraki Promises To Intervene In Aviation Sector Facility Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.