Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,920 members, 7,835,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! (9449 Views)

How Beautiful Does Your Phone Keyboard Looks (pics) / 7 Features An Average Nigerian Looks Out For In A Smartphone / BBM Introduces First Premium Features As Blackberry Looks To Monetize Platform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Clemzy16(m): 11:30am On Oct 04, 2012
No doubt chinko phones has put them out of business.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by chucky234(m): 12:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
O.michael.O:
WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!! Read the facts provided for you above...tongue
You call that blog chicken facts? Ignorance is truly a disease,I provided the official number of patents granted to each of those companies in the US but instead of confirming that from the US patent board you are blabbing about copy and paste garbage from a blog site.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by chucky234(m): 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
jmaine:

For your reading pleasure Sir, cos i don't know where your break dancing to cheesy . . .Please download the research report below and clear all your seeming doubt about the mobile ecosphere patent port folios grin . . .

http://www.chetansharma.com/Mobile_Patents_Landscape_Chetan_Sharma_Consulting.pdf

What I gave you is the official number of patents granted to each company by the US patent board,is chetansharman another name for US patent board?
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by chucky234(m): 12:32pm On Oct 04, 2012
jmaine:

HTC is currently struggling in sales, with Samsumg annexing majority of the profits from all android platforms . .. . . . . . .Even worrisome when HTC is forced to pay royalties to Microsoft for patents utilized by android . . .Guess you don't know HTC pays $5 to Microsoft as licensing fees on each andriod device . . . .

HTC recently pulled out of the competitive Brazilian market, it also closed a research facility in North Carolina and her office in Seoul, South Korea in an effort to cut costs .. . . .Is that not a struggling company ?

htc-brazilian-smartphone-sales-halted

htc_closes_office_south_korea_where_its_smartphones_struggled

Bro we dey talk of 2012 you dey talk about 2010 . . .A few years ago precisely 6 years, Nokia was the clear leader but where are they now in the scheme of things . . . .

In present times, Samsung GS devices has left HTC struggling, moreso when Microsoft are busy collecting easy fat pay checks for their patents on android devices . . . Microsoft raked in $ 800 million in royalties from andriod devices in a quarter

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows/20792/microsofts-haul-mobile-800-million-android-royalties-one-quarter-still-only-relative-trickle-windows-phone
In few years back Nokia was the clear leader not because of quality or innovative designs but by number of phones they pushed into the market monthly,RIM was the real leader before the emergence of Apple as Samsung and LG followed HTC step after the success story of the G1 or Era G1.
Have you ever ask why Google and Microsoft chose HTC as the flagship company for the first android and WP devices? The sophisticated designs of the Samsung galaxy series which revived the dwindling fortune of Samsung where borrowed from HTC because HTC stands for designs and that's why they were able to win everyone's love before the arrival of the Galaxy series.
Brazilian market competitive? In the first quarter of 2012 alone HTC recorded sales of $2.2bn with the introduction of the One X which is still going head to head with GS3 and Apple iPhone5,many experts around the world still nurse the believe that HTC's One X is a better phone than the GS3.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by cutepresh(f): 12:32pm On Oct 04, 2012
kerzhim: I won't blame dem for wanting to sell dea HQ in order to raise money. Technology is rapidly growing and dey find it so difficult to match wit the likes of SAMSUNG, GOOGLE, BLACKBERRY and APPLE wen it cums to productivity. They are far behind.

I didn't just hear Blackberry did I? Lol, RIM is even more broke.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jmaine: 12:49pm On Oct 04, 2012
chucky234: What I gave you is the official number of patents granted to each company by the US patent board,is chetansharman the name of US patent board?

That is a consultancy group who carried out an holistic research on mobile patents across the globe . .Chucky, note the word global in the context which dwarfs your miniscule U.S reference

Please download the attached PDF and digest the raw published research facts . . .cos it's obvious you never bothered to even check it up

chucky234: In few years back Nokia was the clear leader not because of quality or innovative designs but by number of phones they pushed into the market monthly,RIM was the real leader before the emergence of Apple as Samsung and LG followed HTC step after the success story of the G1 or Era G1.

Am sure you were Joking with the bolded part cos Samsung was no 2 before Nokia fell from grace . . . .

Market Leadership here implies the smartphone market share and sales volume,so i don't really understand where your going with your logic

chucky234:
Have you ever ask why Google and Microsoft chose HTC as the flagship company for the first android and WP devices? The sophisticated designs of the Samsung galaxy series which revived the dwindling fortune of Samsung where borrowed from HTC because HTC stands for designs and that's why they were able to win everyone's love before the arrival of the Galaxy series.
Brazilian market competitive?

What are you trying to say undecided . . . . Cos your not passing any point across . . . . .

chucky234:
Brazilian market competitive?

Is this suppose to be another joke of yours, considering the strength of the Brazilian economy in Modern history ( belonging to the top six on global scale) . . . .

strong economy = More purchasing power = Potential market = More Sales . . . .

chucky234: The One X which is still going head to head with GS3 and Apple iPhone5,many experts around the world still nurse the believe that HTC's One X is a better phone than the GS3.

In terms of profitability and units sold which is the main crux of our debate, the HTC is no where near the GS3 and even the latest fancy kid on the block which is the Iphone 5 . . .So i wonder what your point is . . . . .

chucky234: In the first quarter of 2012 alone HTC recorded sales of $2.2bn [/b]

The $ 2.3 billion you quoted represented a whooping 35% drop from revenues a year ago. And this was even before the introduction of the SG 3 in the market which nailed HTC death for the current year

HTC on Friday released unaudited first-quarter sales figures that show the company continues to struggle amid competition from Samsung, Apple and others.

The Taiwanese cellphone maker said that first-quarter revenues were NT$67.8 billion (U.S. $2.3 billion), a nearly 35 percent drop from a year ago. HTC had predicted it would be a rough quarter when it last reported earnings in February, and the revenue figure was in the range of what the company had said to expect.

htcs-bumpy-road-continues-as-first-quarter-sales-drop-35-percent
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by OmichaelO: 2:06pm On Oct 04, 2012
chucky234: You call that blog chicken facts? Ignorance is truly a disease,I provided the official number of patents granted to each of those companies in the US but instead of confirming that from the US patent board you are blabbing about copy and paste garbage from a blog site.
Are you serious? *now looking for what you posted* mstchewww.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 4:22pm On Oct 04, 2012
Lord_Reed:

2nd paragraph in my op:

Hmm...
Just saw it though I'm quite skeptical.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 4:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
chucky234: Hahaha I laugh your empty brain,HTC has the highest LTE patents with Samsung coming closest,in 2010 HTC manufactured the first LTE device with the release of the Evo 4G.
HTC operates a software design office in Seattle in the United State where it
designs its own interface for its phones and other manufacturer.
In the Q3 2011 HTC Corporation became the largest smartphone vendor in the U.S. by 24 percent, ahead of Samsung's 21 percent, Apple Inc.'s 20 percent and
BlackBerry's 9 percent and Nokia was never on that list.
HTC Corporation also made different models for each operator in the US in 2011.
2011 HTC bought VIA Technologies' stake in S3 Graphics, thus becoming the majority owner of S3, On August 6 2011, HTC acquired Dashwire for $18.5M. In August 2011, HTC
confirmed that they will be entering a
strategic partnership with Beats
Electronics by acquiring 51 percent of
Beat's shares.
HTC was named the "Device
Manufacturer of the Year" for 2011 by
the GSMA at the Mobile World Congress on the 16th of February 2011,
Also in April 2011, the company's market value surpassed that of Nokia to become the third largest smartphone maker in the world, only behind Apple and Samsung.
Its also good for you to put into your empty brain that HTC is pioneer of the android and windows mobile you see everywhere today and not Nokia, HTC created the first Microsoft-powered smartphone (2002) and the first Microsoft 3G phone (2005)
Their first major product was made in
2000 and was one of the world's first
touch screen smartphones. The Palm
Treo 650 and thesad iPAQ were created by HTC.
Before you open your rotten mouth to yarn dust you should fu;cking ask questions,besotted goon typing garbage from his debris.

I don't want to start throwing insults, but you're clearly blank. Copy and paste ain't gonna help you as this discussion is way way above your capacity.

Did you just say HTC has the highest LTE patents? You must be hallucinating.
Now FYI, Nokia has the largest amount of LTE patents with almost 20% followed by Qualcomm then Samsung. HTC is almost non-existent here ( http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/2012/08/31/371-Samsung-threatens-to-sue-Apple-if-next-iPhone-has-4G-LTE-network.html )

- The US is not the world. Nokia led the smartphone race for over a decade while being almost non-existent in the US.

- HTC making the first LTE device has nothing to do with its patent. Google maps first introduced indoor viewing into their maps but Nokia had already patented it several years before. There are alot of Nokia patents that first appeared on other phones and not on Nokia phones.

- I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ARGUING PATENTS BETWEEN NOKIA AND HTC. BEFORE HTC CAME INTO EXISTENCE, NOKIA ALREADY HAD MORE PATENTS (BOTH IN QUANTITY AND QUALITY) THAN HTC HAS TODAY.

- Go and ask yourself when HTC came into existence. Then ask yourself when Nokia started making phones. So yes HTC created the first windows phone but that was when Nokia was ruling the world with symbian.

- Nokia was central in developing GSM, GPRS, EDGE, W-CDMA, HSPA, LTE and Wi-Fi technologies, and holds massive patents in these areas.

- HTC won the WMC device of the year for 2011, who do you think won it not just in 2012 but many times before?

- Nokia currently has by far the most mobile patents. Not just that, even in 2012, they still have the highest application so far this year.

- Nokia recently sued your darling HTC cos of patents. Perhaps you should take a look of how they came to their knees. http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/07/frand-hallucination-htc-raises-frand.html?m=1
http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/07/in-response-to-nokias-itc-complaint-htc.html?m=1

- HTC has the least of patents among major mobile OEMs. Get that into your skull.

- HTC and patents are two words that don't go together. How many times have you heard of HTC receiving licensing fees for their patents? Now compare that to Nokia which receives massive licensing fees yearly with the number still growing.

Go and look at this and you would see why Nokia holds the ace as far as mobile patents are concerned. No one comes near. Your HTC is not even on the list.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/820881-nokia-patent-portfolio-an-untapped-goldmine

I'M STILL WAITING FOR YOU TO COME BACK AND DISPLAY HOW MUCH OF A FOOL YOU ARE.

Below are images showing the patent lords both in general and under LTE. Can you please show yourself where your HTC falls?
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 4:32pm On Oct 04, 2012
^^^
Here they are.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 4:51pm On Oct 04, 2012
chucky234: In few years back Nokia was the clear leader not because of quality or innovative designs but by number of phones they pushed into the market monthly,RIM was the real leader before the emergence of Apple as Samsung and LG followed HTC step after the success story of the G1 or Era G1.
Brazilian market competitive? In the first quarter of 2012 alone HTC recorded sales of $2.2bn with the introduction of the One X which is still going head to head with GS3 and Apple iPhone5,many experts around the world still nurse the believe that HTC's One X is a better phone than the GS3.

Oh my! You are really worse than I thought.

Did you just say Nokia didn't offer quality or innovative products?
MAN WHEN DID YOU START USING A SMARTPHONE?
Even the most rabid of Nokia haters all agree on one point that Nokia makes quality and innovative hardware.

The last time I checked, Google is still free. You really should take a look at the range of Nokia devices over the last decade before talking empty.

Galaxy series borrowed from HTC?? Now you really need to see a doctor.
Even a child born this year knows that the success of the galaxy line is heavily dependent on galaxy s which was a hopeless and shameless copy of the iPhone both in design and interface. No where does HTC come close.

You should check this and see the real situation of HTC in terms of profit.
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_took_77_of_the_smartphone_industry_profits_last_quarter-news-4619.php

1 Like

Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jmaine: 5:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
^^

. . . . . . . Please pardon Chucky234, cos he doesn't know what he is saying . . . .
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by skynaija(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2012
Why are you all taking panadol for Nokia's headache?. In this life why everybody in moving, move with them. In Nokia's case, Conservatism killed them. I believe they will bounce back.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 7:01pm On Oct 04, 2012
jmaine: ^^

. . . . . . . Please pardon Chucky234, cos he doesn't know what he is saying . . . .

Man some people are just too dense. How can someone decide to argue on such a non-issue

BTW, it looks like I can't attach pics. They don't just show up after uploading.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jmaine: 7:07pm On Oct 04, 2012
jedisco:

Man some people are just too dense. How can someone decide to argue on such a non-issue

BTW, it looks like I can't attach pics. They don't just show up after uploading.

That's quite strange . . . Are you sure the size is not above nairaland specified limit . . .
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by jedisco(m): 12:33am On Oct 05, 2012
jmaine:

That's quite strange . . . Are you sure the size is not above nairaland specified limit . . .

No I haven't. The pics are just a few kbs. Well it may get rectified later.
Re: Nokia Looks To Sell Headquarters To Raise Cash!!! by Chuksgeo: 12:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
Any 'nokia c7' london used for sale @ about $100? Just email me at Chuksgeo@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HOT! Tecno Y5 – Discussion Thread / Beware! - I Just Discovered Why Your Data Doesn't Last. Always Check / 5800 Games Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.