Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,605 members, 7,827,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects (14443 Views)

Jonathan Visits Mubi, Heads To Baga / Pictures Of Murdered Students Of Mubi Polytechnic / Over 20 Students Murdered In Mubi Adamawa State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by PaulJohn1: 12:03pm On Oct 04, 2012
Security agents have begun a manhunt for the gunmen who invaded Mubi, Adamawa State, on Monday night, killing about 46 students from three higher institutions in the state.

Their search for the killers Wednesday led to a house-to-house search in Mubi during which an unspecified number of suspects were arrested.

The state Police Commissioner, Mohammed Ibrahim, who confirmed the arrest to Reuters, declined to give further details.

The search began just as President Goodluck Jonathan ordered the security forces to intensify efforts to fish out the killers, widely believed to be Boko Haram insurgents, while Senate President David Mark called for capital punishment for the attackers.

The gunmen who had attacked students of the Federal Polytechnic, Adamawa State University and the School of Health Technology, all in Mubi, were said to have gone from room to room in a building in the town on Monday and killed the people they found there with guns and machetes.

However, the police were also said to be investigating whether the killings were as a result of a feud inside the college.

Ibrahim said the police were still keeping an open mind on whether the killing spree was carried out by militants or rival students, but there were signs of an "inside job".

"Relatives of the slain students said the assailants called their names out before killing them. The majority were killed with gun shots or slaughtered like goats," he added.

One possibility was that the killings were related to a dispute between rival groups at the Federal Polytechnic, Mubi, following a student union election on Sunday, Ibrahim said.

"The second day after the election winners were declared, you have the killings ... Really we cannot rule out the possibility that the attack may have been carried out by either the Boko Haram or a ... gang," he added.

Jonathan, who was briefed about the incident, along with other cabinet members, by the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Ahmed Rufa'i, at a meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) Wednesday in Abuja, condemned the attack.

According to the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the president, Dr. Reuben Abati, Jonathan described the killings as tragic, sad, barbaric and shocking.

"The president has directed security agencies to investigate the matter and get to the root because this kind of incident, where people are called out and shot, is really shocking," he said in a statement.

Mark, while reacting to the attack, advocated capital punishment for the killers to serve as a deterrent to others.

Mark, in his remarks while the Senate was considering a motion by Senator Bindowo Jibrilla, from Adamawa North Senatorial District, said the time has come for the country to test the capital punishment clause as enshrined in the statute books.

Before observing a one-minute silence for the victims of the attack, the Senate urged the Federal Government to swiftly bring the perpetrators to book.

Mark added that the need to provide security in the area had become expedient because of the swelling insecurity in the region.

He said: "The security challenges before us in this country are grievous and we have to tackle them headlong. On the specific issue of this are the Mubi killings.

"I think it is a pity that people will go from one room to the other calling names and slaughtering the people. It is totally unacceptable. Even if it is just attacking the symptoms now, those involved must be arrested and brought to book.

"I know that this is a democracy and with due respect to all of us, but capital punishment is still in our statutes."

He said the time and opportunity had come for the country to apply the death clause in the statute books and use it as a deterrent to others.

While blaming government for its slow response to security emergencies, he said: "It is not that crimes don't take place in other places; they do. But it is the reaction of government; the speed with which those involved in crimes in other countries are arrested, tried and punished accordingly that differs.

"However, when they happen in this country, after a week, we tend to forget it and wait for the next one to happen.

"I think we have gone beyond the point of singing these songs of lamentations over and over again. We should not be lamenting, we should be able to act. And government needs to act as swiftly as possible."

Mark urged both the Federal Government and states to live up to their responsibilities of providing security to the citizenry.

"I think this is a very serious issue and if we don't tackle the real issues and begin to go on diversionary expeditions, we will be missing the point.

"Terrorists will succeed once they can stop you from doing what you want to do and once they can stop government from doing what they want to do, they want all Nigerians to be very scared of sending their children to polytechnics and universities. I think there are very serious challenges and we must address them," he added.

In her contribution, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, representing Lagos Central Senatorial District, attributed the insecurity facing the country to lack of good governance and leadership failure.

She said: "The expectations of the people are that government should provide power and security for the citizenry. The attack in Mubi is evidently a sign of a failed state."

In his contribution, Senator Barnabas Gemade said the killings, especially in some Northern parts of the country, could have been orchestrated to disrupt the economies of the area. He suggested that security around the borders and the cities in this region be strengthened.

The National Coordinator of Human Rights Writers' Association of Nigeria (HURIWA), Emmanuel Onwubiko, also condemned the massacre in Mubi.

Speaking at an event to mark the fifth anniversary of HURIWA, Onwubiko said: "This bestial, cruel, crude and inhuman action of the armed attackers was reprehensible, despicable and absolutely condemnable."

According to him, the presidency's reaction to the massacre was unfortunate, sad, disappointing and shocking.

He accused the Federal Government and the state governments in the North of failing to restore and institutionalise the rule of law and respect for the sanctity of life as provided in Section 33(1) of the 1999 Constitution.

Also speaking at the event, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh, called for the inclusion of the right to good governance as a constitutional provision in the ongoing amendment to the constitution.

He said this would enable Nigerians to use the courts to remove from office any leader that errs.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201210040347.html
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
Someone should please hand over this case to Jack Bauer..

4 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by achi4u(m): 1:31pm On Oct 04, 2012
kill them all!
stupid boko haram
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Goldieluks: 2:51pm On Oct 04, 2012
Hang them!
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by BeraBera(f): 2:55pm On Oct 04, 2012
It is soooooo unfair. Whichever one it is, whether BH or SUG, it is so it fair. I urge the police to please do a clean job here, they should not mess up the investigation, the perpetrators must reap the fruits of their evil seed
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Ndata(m): 2:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
Misleading caption.I didn't see anywhere it is reported in the story that they arrested anyone rather they have begun a manhunt.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by SamAfrik(m): 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2012
Very misleading topic. So where are d SUSPECTS?
These are just investigations & reactions to d killing.
Wonder when Nigerians will upgrade their intelligence. Too bad.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by inspirenet: 3:04pm On Oct 04, 2012
It's just hilarious! 42 students? And no one could come to their aid? No, ... This is poor!
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by OjujuCalabar(m): 3:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
My brothers, I hope the people arrested are actually the people involved in the killing. Sometime our police could be funny.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:08pm On Oct 04, 2012
[size=32pt]THIS NEWS SPOILED MY ENTIRE DAY! I WEPT! OO WHY THIS UNNECESASARY KILLINGS OF STUDENTS ? WHY NIGERIA?[/size] sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by CaptVonTrapp: 3:12pm On Oct 04, 2012
I was hoping to see suspects and names etc...mstcheeew
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Obinoscopy(m): 3:13pm On Oct 04, 2012
The speed at which the Police force came out to address the public that they've arrested the suspects is quite suspicious. How are we sure that the people arrested are the true perpetrator of that heinous act?
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by browncool(m): 3:19pm On Oct 04, 2012
I can't find a single person been arrested while reading through however, I expect the topic to be, POLICE IS YET TO ARREST THE CULPRITS

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Ranoscky(m): 3:19pm On Oct 04, 2012
*Speechless*
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by babseg(m): 3:20pm On Oct 04, 2012
MOD, please change the topic its misleading or wrong which ever angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by mrperfect(m): 3:21pm On Oct 04, 2012
Good job by Nigeria police.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Intrepid1(m): 3:30pm On Oct 04, 2012
Probably rounded up some innocent fellows to stave off the pressure from the Presidency.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Okijajuju1(m): 3:33pm On Oct 04, 2012
Intrepid!:
Probably rounded up some innocent fellows to stave off the pressure from the Presidency.

I would have agreed with you !!! BUT! The Nigerian police are very efficient when they are put under pressure.. Their method may not be refined, but it does yeild results most times.. Howbeit with some innocent casualties!
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by easyfem(m): 3:39pm On Oct 04, 2012
People kill people.... I can't predict nigeria future anymore.... Y pple enjoy in hurting odas.. Tink abt dere parent , relative... May GOD punish those who did these.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Intrepid1(m): 3:47pm On Oct 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

I would have agreed with you !!! BUT! The Nigerian police are very efficient when they are put under pressure.. Their method may not be refined, but it does yeild results most times.. Howbeit with some innocent casualties!

They were under pressure to solve the murder of Bola Ige and we are still whistling for them to turn up the killers. Shall I mention other high-profile cases that have gone cold?
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by graluxxy054(f): 3:51pm On Oct 04, 2012
[b][/b]na today? I know these guyz. They wud arrest innocent people and wud make huge amount of money outta it. I no follow wud propbably go for #1,000 - #20,000.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Okijajuju1(m): 3:51pm On Oct 04, 2012
Intrepid!:

They were under pressure to solve the murder of Bola Ige and we are still whistling for them to turn up the killers. Shall I mention other high-profile cases that have gone cold?

BOLA IGE?! Dude that was a political killing.. Same as Marshall Harry and many others.. Political Murders can never be solved..But this one has to do with ordinary Nigerians.. Nobodys career or reputation is at stake.. it gets solved.. E.g Cynthia Okosogu case
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Intrepid1(m): 3:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

BOLA IGE?! Dude that was a political killing.. Same as Marshall Harry and many others.. Political Murders can never be solved..But this one has to do with ordinary Nigerians.. Nobodys career or reputation is at stake.. it gets solved.. E.g Cynthia Okosogu case

I yield to your point, sir. Let's see what happens with this, and the investigation of the Gbagada killing. I don't trust the Nigerian Police though.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by ganye1: 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2012
DSP Mohammed Ibrahim is the Adamawa PPRO not commissioner of Police as reported in this story. The police admitted making arrests, which some sources put at more than 100 suspects, in connection with the case. However, the cheerful news making round is that some of those who directly carried out the were arrested at Mubi overhead water tank with their weapons and unwashed military camouflage by the security after a tip off from one of the victims who recognised one of the attacke.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by getukudo(m): 4:46pm On Oct 04, 2012
I expect a clean job to be done by the police with every individual in Mubi aiding the arrest of the people involved in this killings. If the people don't give out relevant information, then the investigations would just be a waste. Everybody is in this. Nigerians were killed please for christ sakes! Let's not leave this only for the police!
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by jude33084(m): 4:52pm On Oct 04, 2012
babseg: MOD, please change the topic its misleading or wrong which ever angry angry angry angry angry

Thank Ɣ☺Ʊ very much, Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† I read was ♍☺re about Senate; Mark said τhis, oluwumi said Ŧħåϯ undecided τhe toipic is missleading jare angry
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by olaakeem2: 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2012
Thd problem of dis con3 is our govt. A lot killin has been done by unknown gunmen & govt always promise 2 get 2 d root. As long as our govt atitude remain d same toward crime, we may likely continue 2 withnes such. May dere soul rest in peace & may God protect us all.
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by codeline(m): 4:56pm On Oct 04, 2012

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by codeline(m): 5:04pm On Oct 04, 2012
Grs
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by Justiyke4u: 5:18pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ndata: Misleading caption.I didn't see anywhere it is reported in the story that they arrested anyone rather they have begun a manhunt.
read again but this time use magnifier
Re: Police Arrest Mubi Murder Suspects by hardbody: 5:22pm On Oct 04, 2012
SamAfrik: Very misleading topic. So where are d SUSPECTS?
These are just investigations & reactions to d killing.
Wonder when Nigerians will upgrade their intelligence. Too bad.

And you are from...?

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari has Cancelled His Visit To Benin, edo state, To Visit Maiduguri / Amotekun Seizes Another 300 Cows In Ondo / Obasanjo Resigns As Chairman Of PDP's Board Of Trustees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.