Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,922 members, 7,817,703 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million (7502 Views)

Nigeria’s Active Mobile Subscription Hits 110.3m Amidst Poor Services / Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M / Mobile Telephone Industry Organizational Structure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by semid4lyfe(m): 1:47am On Oct 05, 2012
The country’s mobile telephone subscriber base has continued to record strong growth with the number of active mobile telephone lines hitting 105.2 million in August, the latest subscriber data released by the Nigerian Communications Commission has revealed.

The data, which was released on Thursday, revealed that mobile network operators in the country added over 1.8 million new lines in August alone thereby, increasing the subscriber base from 103.4 million active telephone lines in July to over 105.2 million at the end of August 2012.

Industry analysts said the promotions currently being run by Global System of Mobile telecommunications operators in the country might have been responsible for the huge subscriber growth in August.

While the total connected lines increase to 141.2 million in the month, the NCC data showed that GSM companies such as MTN, Globacom, Airtel and Etisalat attracted most of the new subscriptions between January and August, while the Code Division Multiple Access operators such as Visafone, Multi-Links, Starcomms and ZoomMobile continued to witness month-on-month decline in combined subscriber base.

[b]According to the NCC data, while active mobile subscriptions on the GSM networks increased from 91 million in January to 101.4 million at the end of August; the CDMA operators’ subscriber base shrank from 4.4 million to 3.3 million during the eight-month period.

The GSM active subscriptions, which stood at 91 million in January, 2012, increased to 92 million in February and 94.5 million at the end of March. The subscriptions continued the upward growth trend, reaching 96.6 million in April and 97.5 million in May.

In June, July and August, the combined active GSM subscriber base increased to 98.3 million; 99.4 million and 101.4 million respectively.

However, the active subscriber base on CDMA networks continued to decline from 4,031,820 lines in February to 3,904,846 in April. It further plunged to 3,718,153 in May; 3,541,355 in June; and fell in July to 3,452,368 and finally to 3,347,716 at the end of August 2012.

The number of fixed lines, which stood at 688,333 as at January, declined to 488,088 at the end of August 2012.[/b]

While the Nigerian telecoms industry continues to experience huge growth year-in-year, it has once again defied industry forecast, with the giant leap it recorded in growth in August.

The former Executive Vice-Chairman, Nigerian Communications Commission, Mr. Ernest Ndukwe, had recently predicted that the country’s mobile subscriber base would hit 105 million in December 2012.

However, the latest NCC data revealed that the target was achieved much earlier, as active subscriptions had crossed the 105 million projections, reaching over 105.2 million at end of August, 2012.

Experts said though it was good that the country’s mobile subscriber base had crossed the 105 million mark, the implication was that it would put pressure on the mobile networks if the operators did not increase their network capacities.

It will be recalled that the NCC had recently fined the four GSM companies in the country to the tune of N1.17bn for poor quality of service on their networks.

With increased subscriber base, analysts, urged the operators to match this with more investments in network expansion.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/active-mobile-telephone-lines-now-105-2-million/
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by puskin: 2:20am On Oct 05, 2012
Naija.....just like to dey break record......good or bad. Someone would think dat these stats should translate to much cheaper call rates, but dat ain't it.
What is it with naija and GSM.........CDMA networks are cheaper to make call with, and instead of their subscriber base to be expanding, its shrinking with every passing minute. Maybe they aren't being aggressive enough with their roll out, marketing and expansion plans.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by semid4lyfe(m): 3:19am On Oct 05, 2012
I don't see the CDMA networks as being viable and I think they'll experience more decline in the next few years and will eventually pack up.

Also, it doesn't help that their reach is limited to some major cities and they don't cover the length and breadth of the country. . . .and don't forget the GSM Networks dey roll out special call-tariff promos like sey tomorrow no dey.

CDMAs don dey for comma tey tey, na just make dem die remain
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by puskin: 4:32am On Oct 05, 2012
This is just a typical example that what works in other countries just doesn't work in naija. In US and most European countries......CDMA is more popular than GSM, but here, the reverse is the case or could it be that the Interconnect tariffs still doesn't favor them.

Anyways.......like you said........let's wait and see if they will die.............afterall, they are hugging transformer now. grin
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by semid4lyfe(m): 5:31am On Oct 05, 2012
puskin: This is just a typical example that what works in other countries just doesn't work in naija. In US and most European countries......CDMA is more popular than GSM, but here, the reverse is the case or could it be that the Interconnect tariffs still doesn't favor them.

Anyways.......like you said........let's wait and see if they will die.............afterall, they are hugging transformer now. grin

True but me dey look the figures

101.4 million active GSM lines? That's about 70% of our population. Still, I can't help but wonder how many of these active lines are owned by people with more than one phone. If number portability was in effect, the figures wouldn't be that high.

I now know why the GSM Networks can afford to give away $1m, brand new Airplanes and such gifts in their promos grin

Vodacom go everly dey regret sey dem pull out of that Econet deal.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 05, 2012
So in essence, The Telcos are ripping us off, cos despite high subscription there is no tariff reduction.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by semid4lyfe(m): 5:49am On Oct 05, 2012
Billyonaire: So in essence, The Telcos are ripping us off, cos despite high subscription there is no tariff reduction.

Guy, e easy to give away $1m and Brand New Aeroplane? tongue cheesy
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 05, 2012
semid4lyfe:

That's one of the most foolish scam every ran by a corporate organization. And you know how much they say the Plane is worth in case you dont want the plane but cash ? 25m Naira! MTN is sick!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by puskin: 6:08am On Oct 05, 2012
Billyonaire: That's one of the most foolish scam every ran by a corporate organization. And you know how much they say the Plane is worth in case you dont want the plane but cash ? 25m Naira! MTN is sick!

"MTN dey make that money in like 12hours"......make nobody quote me ooh.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by KINGwax(m): 6:14am On Oct 05, 2012
Relax peeps, i biliv things will take shape. It's a gradual process yo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by mkmyers45(m): 6:16am On Oct 05, 2012
puskin:

"MTN dey make that money in like 12hours"......make nobody quote me ooh.
Much more than..they make like 5bn a weekend...FACT
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by mkmyers45(m): 6:18am On Oct 05, 2012
KINGwax: Relax peeps, i biliv things will take shape. It's a gradual process yo
This fleecing is not stopping just yet..
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by mkmyers45(m): 6:24am On Oct 05, 2012
The last time i checked..Average expenditure a day per subscriber is around #340 naira then multiply that by the number of Active Subscriber and at the last count MTN had 45,000,000.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by luluosas(m): 6:38am On Oct 05, 2012
With this GSM growth as published by NCC, which is not commensurate with the quality of service being offered by these GSM providers, it shows we the subscribers have a long way to go.
But come oh, is NCC taking these new connected lines to mean one line per one new GSM subscriber? I laugh in Edo language!
Nigerians, don't be deceived. These new connected lines are just recycling among the existing users, who are buying more network Sim cards, to avoid being trapped in a tight corner, by reason of the POOR services these rapers of our 'collective wealth' are providing.
Number portability will address these nonsense by the time it will come into effect.
Although I have not traveled out of Nigeria before but, I just want to ask: Does the American people uses more than one network at a time? Do they do have SPRINT, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verison and other network providers Sim cards as we Nigerians do?
Imagine me having 4 Glo, 1 MTN, 1 Etisalat and 1 Airtel lines at the same time. Reasons - BAD POOR SERVICE.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by nass07(m): 7:09am On Oct 05, 2012
luluosas: With this GSM growth as published by NCC, which is not commensurate with the quality of service being offered by these GSM providers, it shows we the subscribers have a long way to go.
But come oh, is NCC taking these new connected lines to mean one line per one new GSM subscriber? I laugh in Edo language!
Nigerians, don't be deceived. These new connected lines are just recycling among the existing users, who are buying more network Sim cards, to avoid being trapped in a tight corner, by reason of the POOR services these rapers of our 'collective wealth' are providing.
Number portability will address these nonsense by the time it will come into effect.
Although I have not traveled out of Nigeria before but, I just want to ask: Does the American people uses more than one network at a time? Do they do have SPRINT, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verison and other network providers Sim cards as we Nigerians do?
Imagine me having 4 Glo, 1 MTN, 1 Etisalat and 1 Airtel lines at the same time. Reasons - BAD POOR SERVICE.
seconded. True talk!
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by kenostika(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2012
mkmyers45: Much more than..they make like 5bn a weekend...FACT
Na wao.See cash and they find it hard to pay graduates good salary.They are absolutely greedy.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by nass07(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2012
Seems to me those CDMA operators have given up fight in the market. Only hoping for divine period ahead. Or could it be that they are jst managing the condition of their current position in the market!
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by chucky234(m): 7:52am On Oct 05, 2012
semid4lyfe:

Who cares about the airplane or their damn promos
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by bknight: 8:08am On Oct 05, 2012
But what peculiar factors make it impossible for fixed telephones to work in nigeria? It'd be nice for almost every home in d country to have d fixed telephones. Globacom shld attempt to get license for this or has it been banned? undecided
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by purpinkx(m): 8:23am On Oct 05, 2012
I went to register 5 of my SIMs and they said 1 at a time grin
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by dejiswaggs(m): 8:30am On Oct 05, 2012
SMS Busness Go Boom!
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by OmoTier1(m): 8:45am On Oct 05, 2012
luluosas: With this GSM growth as published by NCC, which is not commensurate with the quality of service being offered by these GSM providers, it shows we the subscribers have a long way to go.
Not so correct. I used to think it was mainly Nigerians that do carry four phones in a go, but since recession started to bite hard here, coupled with austerity promos ran by some of the major telecoms company, I see any working class having Vodafone and Tesco mobile cheesy ..two different numbers... Simple as meerkat would say..
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by alajor(m): 9:08am On Oct 05, 2012
Not really, I live here in south africa and there r people that's use two lines but most of them r nigerians,me included. Most households in south africa have land lines and there r very cheap call centres almost in every street here in the cities. I must say that the promotions here by mtn,vodacom,cellc r always good,they give u discounts always, they r trying to beat competition with cheaper rates. And the only reason why I have a second line is because its very cheap when u use it to call 9ja not because I dey form big boy as is the case wit most nigerians at home.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by solbil: 9:43am On Oct 05, 2012
you are wrong! The network is good. We have more lines becos of call rates from one provider to the other.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 05, 2012
solbil: you are wrong! The network is good. We have more lines becos of call rates from one provider to the other.
haha you correct! Was about to tell him that myself

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by thelastPope(m): 10:11am On Oct 05, 2012
Nigeria's problem is cultural. We have our brains all messed up and our priorities all mixed up. It isn't the fault of the networks. We just have a messed up mind set that allows anyone with little effort to take advantage of us. And the irony is that we think we are actually being smart!

Half of all calls we make in Naija are unnecessary ego trips. With BB, my calls have reduced by over 80%. Except for occassional business stuff that requires clarification via voice calls and some families chats, every other communication is through the Internet and BBM. The sad part is that it is the so called poor and middle class that waste these monies on calls because they want to prove they have money.
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by Cyberknight: 10:22am On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope: Nigeria's problem is cultural. We have our brains all messed up and our priorities all mixed up. It isn't the fault of the networks. We just have a messed up mind set that allows anyone with little effort to take advantage of us. And the irony is that we think we are actually being smart!

Half of all calls we make in Naija are unnecessary ego trips. With BB, my calls have reduced by over 80%. Except for occassional business stuff that requires clarification via voice calls and some families chats, every other communication is through the Internet and BBM. The sad part is that it is the so called poor and middle class that waste these monies on calls because they want to prove they have money.

"Waste money on calls to prove they have money?". How does that make sense logically? If someone rings you up to say hello or talk for a few minutes to keep in touch and maintain a relationship with someone else, is that now dismissed and yabbed as "proving they have money"? By analogy, if one were to get into his car and drive over to visit a friend, then obviously this is not a necessary social and bonding exercise, it is a waste of money, abi?

In addition, how many people have interent access or can afford BBs? As opposed to 5k techno phones or something secondhand for 2 or 3k, and a sim card for 100 naira, and recharge cards that are as low as 100 naira too? Making telephone calls CANNOT be a way of proving some sort of status, because it is really no longer an issue, as it was when accessible moblie phone technology first came here in 2001.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by kunlejazz(m): 10:35am On Oct 05, 2012
Almost every Nigerian has at least 2 lines and I doubt if the primary reason is show off...
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by thelastPope(m): 10:38am On Oct 05, 2012
Cyberknight:

"Waste money on calls to prove they have money?". How does that make sense logically? If someone rings you up to say hello or talk for a few minutes to keep in touch and maintain a relationship with someone else, is that now dismissed and yabbed as "proving they have money"? By analogy, if one were to get into his car and drive over to visit a friend, then obviously this is not a necessary social and bonding exercise, it is a waste of money, abi?

In addition, how many people have interent access or can afford BBs? As opposed to 5k techno phones or something secondhand for 2 or 3k, and a sim card for 100 naira, and recharge cards that are as low as 100 naira too? Making telephone calls CANNOT be a way of proving some sort of status, because it is really no longer an issue, as it was when accessible moblie phone technology first came here in 2001.

From your comment, I don't think you live in Nigeria. First, BB is not expensive. It is very cheap like pure water and the only reason some people don't have it is illiteracy. They can't really do the typing thing. And subscribing for bb is also cheap at 1400 or 1500 per month. Most people use that on calls per week.

Like I said before, Nigerians waste money on calls as a status thing, just like we do in every other aspect of our lives; like marrying the same person 4 times! Introduction, second introduction, court, traditional, church! Actually, that's 5 five times and add to that engagement and wedding after parties and church thankgiving!!! Now that's madness!

People carry as much as 7 phones around in Lagos. And some of these guys don't even have accomodation! What flimsy excuse is bonding? Bonding for what? Is that the reason you tell yourself? A man should live by budget not bonding! Why do you think these network are encouraged to keep doing these promos and refuse to reduce their calls rates? Because they know people like you will keep making those unnecessary "bonding" calls and they will keep smiling to the bank!
Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by kunlejazz(m): 10:44am On Oct 05, 2012
alajor: Not really, I live here in south africa and there r people that's use two lines but most of them r nigerians,me included. Most households in south africa have land lines and there r very cheap call centres almost in every street here in the cities. I must say that the promotions here by mtn,vodacom,cellc r always good,they give u discounts always, they r trying to beat competition with cheaper rates. And the only reason why I have a second line is because its very cheap when u use it to call 9ja not because[b]I dey form big boy as is the case wit most nigerians at home[/b].

Nigerians don't use many lines to 'form big boy', you can say 'some' use many phones for that reason. But the major reason Nigerians have many lines is becos of tariff difference. The average Nigerian uses mtn majorly to receive calls(becos he/she has been known with d line and can't just throw it away) and calls FAF nos only ( and probably browse), uses airtel or etisalat to make calls becos their call rates are cheaper than mtn and uses glo for BIS cos glo BIS is abt d best in terms of tariff, data bundle size and quality.
Summarily, I think Nigerians are only being economical and not showing off in any way. They're just harnessing the variety in service quality and charges.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million by wandeay: 11:11am On Oct 05, 2012
i hate nigerian network providers, worst internet speed on earth, am disappointed

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Lock Your Apps With Password Or Fingerprint On Infinix XUI 2.0 / How To Get Free 920MB Or 750mb / Chinese TV Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.