Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,121 members, 7,811,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M (3277 Views)

Nigeria’s Active Telephonelines Hit 131.1m / Nigeria’s Active Mobile Subscription Hits 110.3m Amidst Poor Services / Nigeria's Active Mobile Telephone Lines Now 105.2 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by semid4lyfe(m): 2:42am On Mar 08, 2011
Glo overtakes Airtel as MTN retains telecoms market lead * Nigeria's active lines hit 88.3m
(March 7, 2011 04:31 PM, )

SOURCE

Lagos (WorldStage Newsonline)-- Nigeria second national operator, Globacom, has emerged the number two operator by subscriber number and grossed over 3.7 million lines more than rival Airtel Nigeria, in one of the major telecoms market upsets emerging out of the 2010 telephone subscriber information released weekend by the industry regulator, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

The market information, which usually offers insight into the state of things in the telecoms market as regard market performance of operators using key indicator of subscriber numbers, provides a barometer for measuring the state of health of the telecoms industry.

According to the figure pasted on the website of the regulator, Glo ended 2010 with 19,627,415 lines as against Airtel Nigeria’s 15,834,243 representing a difference of 3,793,172 lines between them. Both operators were neck-deep in the last few years and had employed a series of marketing strategies to corner substantial market share.

The result showed that no competitor has been able to match the clear market leadership of MTN that ended the year with 38,683,520 lines out of the nation’s active phone lines that totaled 88,348,026 lines and recorded a year end growth rate of 6.37 over the preceding quarter, during the period.

MTN Nigeria continues to lead the telecoms market by subscriber number and has a big margin of 19,056,105 lines separating it from Globacom, the number two player.

During its entry into the market last year, Bharti Airtel, the new owners of Airtel, had promised to match competitors strength for strength and emerge market leader in the country. The telco had also unveiled plans to commit a $600million to upgrade its network, improve service quality and drive an aggressive entry into rural and under-served areas to achieve the Nigerian market conquest.

However, the state of market performance reveals that Airtel may have ignored an equally bullish competitor in Glo which last year light up its international undersea cable, Glo 1, which it reckons will offer adequate market edge to support the introduction of new data services that will lock in existing subscribers and win new ones as the telecoms market players look beyond the traditional revenue stream from voice for survival.

Another major market upset was recorded by Etisalat, the market’s last entrant that had 6,791,986 lines at year end but showed up from this seemingly disadvantaged position with an impressive growth rate of 25.37 per cent in the last quarter of 2010.

Among the family of five GSM operators, who among them account for 91.9 per cent of Nigeria’s 88.3million active phone lines, Etisalat recorded the most bullish growth in the last quarter with 25.37 per cent followed only by Glo with 11.48 per cent. On the other hand, MTN Nigeria recorded a growth rate of 5.89 per cent while Airtel’s growth appreciated by 1.81 per cent within the period.

But the latter position is mitigated by MTN Nigeria’s decision last year to aggressively drive a rural telephony strategy that may win it new connections in rural and under-served markets in Nigeria’s geographically dispersed terrain when it signed a $400million deal with Chinese equipment supplier, Huawei Technologies.

Under the pact, MTN, known to be a traditional prospect for the high networth creme of the market says it is reviewing its strategy alongside Huawei Technologies to cover no fewer than 500 villages by the end of 2011.

The MTN-Huawei deal is generally regarded to be a response to Airtel, known to be adept at creaming off gold from the bottom of the pyramid based on its experience from not only from experience in its home country, India but its pedigree.

Airtel is currently the world’s fifth largest telecoms operator with over 207.8 million subscribers across 19 countries at the end of 2010. It is also the largest mobile phone company in India counting over 152.5 million subscribers at the end of 2010.

Another key outcome of the 2010 telecoms market duel among operators is that the Nigerian telecoms industry remains a terrain controlled by the deep pocket GSM players who at year end control 91.9 per cent market share leaving just 6.91 per cent and 1.19 per cent to mobile CDMA and fixed/fixed wireless operators respectively.

That is not likely to change soon as the CDMA market groans from rising competition from GSM operators who are equally poised to step up the game in the new year.

MTN Nigeria, realising the seeming edge offered the SNO by its wholly-owned submarine cable of Glo 1, has teamed up with in-country competitor, Vodacom of South Africa, one of the key investors in WACS, a competing cable due to land in Nigeria by mid-year.

Within the CDMA market, the smaller mobile operator are led by Visafone which accounts for 2,558,867 active lines followed by Multilinks Telkom, owned by South Africa’s Tekom with 1,454,704 lines. Starcoms trails them with 1,149,380 active lines against Reltel’s 939,145 lines during the same period.

Meanwhile, within the sector, Multilinks Telkom, which has indicated its intention to exit the Nigeria CDMA market on account of losses, accounted for the most bullish year end growth of 15.36 per cent followed by Starcomms with 9.82 per cent and Visafone with 1.52 per cent.

In the fixed/fixed wireless market, Starcomms leads with 575,417 lines followed by Multilinks Telkom with 121,834 lines and Reltel with 104,367.

The sector which accounts for 16 operators accounting for 1,050,237 active lines recorded a year end growth rate of 9.17 per cent.

At the threshold of the 10th anniversary of commercial roll out of digital mobile networks running on the GSM standard, which comes up this August, operators are shifting from aggressive ramping up of subscribers to the roll out of new data services to quench the market’s thirst for Internet and a host of other services that guarantees they keep churn at bay.

In a related development, NCC reports that total active phone lines have grown to 89,840,343 by January, this year with the GSM sector accounting for 82,618,510 lines; mobile CDMA, 6,186,442 and Fixed Wired/Wireless, 1,035,391.

During the same period, total connected lines in the telecoms market peaked at 114,628,533 with mobile GSM, 96,547,864; mobile CDMA, 12,338,686 and Fixed Wired/Wireless, 2,741,983.

The nation’s overall installed telecoms network capacity at January, this year stands at 158,256,859 with mobile GSM sector providing 131,720,867 lines; mobile CDMA, 17,187,721 lines and Fixed Wired/Wireless, 9,348,271 lines.
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by naijatoday: 4:28pm On Mar 08, 2011
with the 2 Good offer Airtel only gained 1.81 percent compared to others?
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by semid4lyfe(m): 5:26pm On Mar 08, 2011
MTN - 38,683,520 subscribers
GLO - 19,627,415 subscribers
Airtel - 15,834,243 subscribers
Etisalat - 6,791,986 subscribers

Kai! MTN is wicked o grin. . . .see as them dust GLO, Airtel, Etisalat + all them CDMA operators, lol tongue grin grin

I'm not surprised by this news. . .the only thing surprising to me is the difference in subscriber base between MTN and the rest cos some 2-3 years ago it was reported that the difference in subscriber base between MTN and GLO was like 2million. Going by this present revelation, that report was obviously false. . . .

Now I know why number portability has not been implemented till date sad
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by semid4lyfe(m): 6:10pm On Mar 08, 2011
Shameless GLO grin. . . .

So upon all the Celebrities (Rita Dominic, P-Square, Dbanj, Mike Ezunroye, Monalisa Chinda etc) wey dem use advertise and do promo, and the Manchester United endorsement deal, dem still nor catch MTN? shocked tongue

Kai! owo jono (money burn). . . .I don talk am before se celebrity endorsement nor dey sell market for Naija and na Father Christmas Pa Adenuga just dey do tongue

If Pa Adenuga like make hin go carry money dash Real Madrid or Barca next grin grin

Meanwhile, Etisalat try nor be small. . .dem go still gain more when dem roll out dem 3G and cover more cities, towns and villages in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by OmichaelO: 6:14pm On Mar 08, 2011
@semid4lyfe i know that your "oya i don hug transformer n i still never die" from somewhere!!!
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by semid4lyfe(m): 6:47pm On Mar 08, 2011
O.michael.O:

@semid4lyfe i know that your "oya i don hug transformer n i still never die" from somewhere!!!

From where? I am the originator of that ''siggy'' and I didn't copy it from anywhere. It was actually inspired by someone who dissed me and told me to go hug a transformer and I did lol grin

It's a registered trademark and protected by copyright although some guys e.g jason123 (a regular poster in politics section) have attempted to plagiarise and bite off it with their signature - ''after I hug transformer nko''? angry

If you're referring to the thread below, I've been using the ''siggy'' since last year. . .long before the thread was posted wink

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-606529.0.html
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by luluosas(m): 7:11pm On Mar 08, 2011
ERROR! ERROR!! ERROR!!! NCC you lied. Even if it is only MTN in operation in Nigeria, it can never be possible.
We want a situation whereby NCC will have the capacity to display each operator's active lines for external investigations.
No wonder they are not considering number portability.
False report. Bulshit.
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by AndroBlaze: 1:26am On Jul 29, 2012
Interesting
Re: Nigeria Active Lines Hit 88.3M**MTN-38.6M, GLO-19.6M, Airtel-15.8M by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:04am On Jul 30, 2012
somehow i doubt this report and those numbers. is it inclusive if all lines ever sold, or just the active ones?

if its just d active ones, its a lie.

and how come its only nigeria economies of scale dont apply? if truly they have those figures then they are serious thieves.

(1) (Reply)

How To Listen To Nigerian Radio Stations Online On Blackberry With My BIS / Glo Airtime Transfer aka Glo Easy Share / How To Use Your 6000 Minutes Bonus........?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.