Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,121 members, 7,821,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP (809 Views)

Apc Presidential Candidate With Apc National Chairman Watching The Announcement / Oyegun, APC National Chairman Loses Ward To PDP In Edo - Punch / Jonathan Can Afford To Ignore Boko Haram - Cynical Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Idokojimmy: 10:31am On Oct 05, 2012
Dr. Yunusa Tanko is the national chairman of the National Conscience Party, NCP, the party founded by the late legal luminary and human rights crusader, Chief Gani Fawehinmi. He is also the immediate past secretary the party as well as its vice presidential candidate in the 2011 general election. He equally served as secretary of the Save Nigeria Group, SNG, that campaigned for the enthronement of Dr Goodluck Jonathan as substantive president of the country after the death of President Umar Musa Yar’adua. In this exclusive interview with our Osun State correspondent, Richard Akintade in Osogbo,  Dr Tanko bares his mind on the just concluded 7th NCP national convention, corruption in the country, 2015 general elections and other national  issues. Excerpts

As an active participant in the political struggle and development of the country, I want you to look at democracy since 1999 till date, are there any developments?
As an activist who joined hands with others to fight for enthronement of democracy in 1994, before we dabbled into politics, actually we believed that democracy was the best form of government that could only triumph in this part of the world. We were able to succeed; unfortunately, we were not registered by that time until 2003 when we registered as political party.
You said that the dividends of democracy to the people are not properly channeled; are we on the right path with the current democratic dispensation?
As regard leadership in a democratic setting, whether the institution that fought for democracy is being respected or not, it is another palaver entirely but when separation of power is the order of the day, where executive, legislature and judiciary arms are working independently, then we would have said democracy is allowed to triumph. We believe that democracy is the best form of government. Government must deliver on certain things to the people and de-emphasise oil. If government can diversify to agriculture and other forms of revenue generation through raw materials that come from natural resources such as gold, diamond and all other resources that could be used, our economy will be sustainable. I want to say that Nigerians should ask anybody that wants to contest a question, and that is, if we don’t have oil again, how does he intend to generate funds for the treasury. This is the salient question Nigerians should ask their leaders.
I want you to assess the tenure of President Good luck Jonathan as elected president of Nigeria.
President Jonathan was the benefactor of our struggle; we stood firm that the constitution should be defended when President Yaradua was sick and incapacitated. We said the constitution provides that the next person should take over; and that was what actually happened. We want the president to listen to the voice of the people; what we are doing and saying is in the interest of the people; the interest of the people should be paramount in the agenda of the president and we are only giving constructive criticism to the president in the area that affects the interest of Nigerian people. When the president decided to increase pump price of petroleum products, we said it was a fraud and we are vindicated because Mr. President has shown interest that the government will prosecute those responsible. I want Mr. President to draw a battle line to show Nigerians that yes he has a particular knife and can cut in the interest of the Nigerian people. This is what Nigerian people are asking for - good roads, jobs, electricity, schools, health as enshrined in the Section 2 of the 1999 Constitution. Nigerian people still want to see if their votes can translate into good governance with democratic dividends.
Still on President Jonathan, is he likely to contest the presidency come 2015 because some sections of the country are in support while others are against; what is your own side on this?
It is simple, even though President Goodluck Jonathan told the people of this country that he is going to rule for only one term, that particular one term has not ended, but as far as I am  concerned, his performance, track record and ability in office will be the propelling factor that will make people demand from him to rule them again because he has done so well, wonderfully well.
As regards the issue of 2015 presidential election, you said he told the people of the country that he would contest for only a term in office, but if he eventually contests, what will happen?
Yes, he has the right to contest if he intends to contest. Of course now it is left for Nigerians to decide. You see, as a person, I don’t have a problem with leadership, but I have my problem with
people; if people feel that they are convinced enough that he has every reason to contest election, so be it; of course we in the opposition are working to form a formidable force, whether he contests or not, we are going to present our own candidate as alternative for the people of Nigeria. We are working hard to ensure that we present the best and strong alternative to Nigerian people to look at because it is time for them to taste another side of good leadership.
You noted that if Jonathan contests in 2015 presidential election, the opposition is going to present their credible, best and good alternative candidate. And you are just elected national chairman of NCP; I want to ask if your party is going to join the ongoing merger talks among the opposition political parties?
Let me even remind you that the NCP has been championing the cause of the opposition parties since 2003 and 2011; and I want to tell you that I am the pioneer secretary of Coalition of New Nigeria, CNN. It is that CNN that gave General Muhammed Buhari the backing and first ticket
to contest presidential election in 2003 as vice presidential candidate of my party. We stepped down for Buhari to contest election through the coalition so as to form a viable coalition that will contest election in that year and in 2011. We tried as much as possible; the NCP has been championing coalition and at the same time alliances but not merger; we never supported merger of individual political parties but we supported alliance to bring out the best candidate; as you all know, we have our own ideology and identity and that particular identity is the pro-masses organisation that believe in the core cause of the people. So far as NCP is concerned, we are pro-masses organisation; we will of course align with any progressive party that is ready to align with us but not merger.

http://nigerianpilot.com/index.php/politics/6332-2015-jonathan-can-run-again-tanko
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by IjeomaObasi: 11:01am On Oct 05, 2012
Goodluck Jonathan told the people of this country that he is going to rule for only one term, that particular one term has not ended, but as far as I am  concerned, his performance, track record and ability in office will be the propelling factor that will make people demand from him to rule them again because he has done so well, wonderfully well.
As regards the issue of 2015 presidential election, you said he told the people of the country that he would contest for only a term in office, but if he eventually contests, what will happen?
Yes, he has the right to contest if he intends to contest. Of course now it is left for Nigerians to decide. You see, as a person, I don’t have a problem with leadership, but I have my problem with
people; if people feel that they are convinced enough that he has every reason to contest election, so be it; of course we in the opposition are working to form a formidable force, whether he contests or not, we are going to present our own candidate as alternative for the people of Nigeria. We are working hard to ensure that we present the best and strong alternative to Nigerian people to look at because it is time for them to taste another side of good leadership.
You noted that if Jonathan contests in 2015 presidential election, the opposition is going to present their credible, best and good alternative candidate. And you are just elected national chairman of NCP; I want to ask if your party is going to join the ongoing merger talks among the opposition political parties?
Let me even remind you that the NCP has been championing the cause of the opposition parties since 2003 and 2011; and I want to tell you that I am the pioneer secretary of Coalition of New Nigeria, CNN. It is that CNN that gave General Muhammed Buhari the backing and first ticket

this is matured politicking worth emulating.like he said,its the presidents achievements that will determine if he will be elected again.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Joeadamu86: 11:39am On Oct 05, 2012
Ah,this one na open secret now,only the constitution can stop him,I believe in a short while people will beg him to contest again cos I see a glimmer of hope in GEJ's administration.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Idokojimmy: 11:39am On Oct 05, 2012
One good term deserves another.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by BeraBera(f): 12:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
If he continues to do well in this present administration, why won't I vote for him again.
Let him just solve this BH problem, I bet people will love him again
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by divatosin(f): 12:55pm On Oct 05, 2012
Let him just sustain this remarkable improvement on power nationwide. Complete the construction of the 4 new airports and 11 terminals. Complete ongoing Benin-Ore road, Abuja-Lokija, East-west, I will give him my humble vote
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Dollarman101: 1:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
For now i think he is my only choice for 2015 presidentail election.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Olanlere11: 1:05pm On Oct 05, 2012
He is on point. Though he remains the best candidate for 2015, let's support him to consolidate the transformational Structure he is putting on ground for now, then vote him again later.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Mallamabdul: 1:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
i didn't vote GEJ in that last election, but he has proven himself as a good and matured leader, despite all the issues and the oppositions by his fellow politicians. i would vote for him,if he comes out for 2015 presidential elecetions. GEJ, you have my vote.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by HammedSodiqq: 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2012
Me too oooooo. The man don do well
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by NUAIT: 4:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
Advocating A culture of debate, superior reason and civility in Nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/1066526/advocating-culture-debate-superior-reason
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by HammedSodiqq: 12:13am On Oct 06, 2012
Mallamabdul: i didn't vote GEJ in that last election, but he has proven himself as a good and matured leader, despite all the issues and the oppositions by his fellow politicians. i would vote for him,if he comes out for 2015 presidential elecetions. GEJ, you have my vote.
me too
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by uzomagic(m): 6:04am On Oct 06, 2012
GEJ is well positioned to get my overwhelming support as President should he decide to run in 2015
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Vogue50: 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2012
He is eligible to vote and be voted for. I think he has performed tremendously ; brought significant changes especially in the transport , oil and gas and the power sector.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 06, 2012
Good Job Guys.40 Laptops in 4D. grin
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Zutchy: 11:47pm On Oct 06, 2012
Listen up,2015 is still a long way to go and so therefore you never can say what will happen tomorrow,but If God decides to continue to smile down on Nigeria as a country,as we all pray he will and Jonathan continues in the direction that he and his people are towing,because believe me,when you look at the different policies and initiatives beign put in place in different sectors from power to agriculture you will realize that by the time they start bearing fruit come 2015 everybody will tow along behind Jonathan.
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by Elueme: 12:21am On Oct 07, 2012
Fucking too early for 2015 talk... The president needs deliver on his first term mandate.... the events between now and then shall decide.. I remain his loyalist till people stop being wicked and unconstructive in lcriticisms but he must be the master of his game... Mafia rule is the inn of this game and only the strong survives
Re: Jonathan Can Run Again- Tanko, National Chairman NCP by SOHKAHTOA: 12:29am On Oct 07, 2012
.....and we will call on him to contest when it's time.

(1) (Reply)

Chinese TV Report On Nigerian Railway Revamping / The Many Evils Of An Ex-governor / 2015: Bad News For Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.