Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30316 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sigh. Nigerians and their penchant to "respond" to issues with a boatload of irrelevant nonsense.

adconline: davidlan@
We don't have to skew facts because we are debating. Only less than 15% of Americans do not have coverage.

and this was in response to? undecided
At no point here have i discussed the issue of the "uninsured", rather this was what i said - Close to 50% of the American population would have to go into debt just to pay the $4000 medical bill that Godogwu's mother had to pay for a 3 day hospital say. You also know that most times some dont pay and the rest of us end up with higher premiums to cover that expense.

The above has nothing to do with the percentage of uninsured. Let us even assume it is, your response is simplistic in that it automatically assumes that everyone else that is insured is guaranteed affordable healthcare. We both know that is a lie in the US. What your 15% fails to take into consideration are the vast millions who are underinsured (i.e. carry insurance cards that essentially do not provide the healthcare they need), those who will reach their lifetime insurance cap as a result of chronic illness (see cancer patients), those who will be dropped from medicaid rolls, dropped from their insurance coverage the minute they actually need to assess it most often due to long time chronic illness. You also do not take into account those whose "health insurance" is merely a health savings account and will be slammed with huge debts the moment they fall sick (i have a friend who just had to payout $5000 for a surgery on a broken nose - he carried "health insurance" by the way).

adconline:
Even in the US, people are not refused service; you are not asked to make deposit before being treated like in Naija. The man in Isolo does not have any option, while a crackhead in skid row in LA gets treated any time.

It is true that in the US you are not refused service but that is only in the case of an EMERGENCY. Try going into the hospital with a fever and asking for service.

adconline:
My sister was hit by a hit and run driver, she was rushed to the hospital, they demanded for a deposit, because none of my family was there, they let her die. We were called after she had died. This cannot happen in EU/US.

Not true. Millions die every year in the US because many do not have access to healthcare until their condition becomes impossible to save. Your sister would not have died in the US because her case was a medical emergency, unfortunately the bill for her care would end up costing the rest of us in higher premiums every year. It aint free.

adconline:
It's disingenuous to say that someone who dies as a result of no care is at par with someone who goes broke after paying his/her medical bill after they have been treated.

They are not much different. Let us avoid the bias of looking at issues through rose-colored lenses. If you're broke as a result of not paying a medical bill you may as well be dead here - merely existing is not the same as living. Look at the below scenario...

1. You go broke because you are unable to pay a medical bill = bankruptcy.
2. Bankruptcy = no credit report
3. No credit report = unable to obtain a loan to buy a car, get a house or in some cases land a good job (yes many companies check credit reports as part of the pre-hiring process - i know because i had to consent to one only 3 months ago).
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by debosky(m): 1:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
^^ This whole discussion of insurance is a bit of a diversion - yes it would cost someone $4000 to get treatment for 3 days and many people would go into debt/can't afford that. In many parts of Nigeria, even if you had $40,000, you wouldn't be able to get the medical attention to save your life. That's the real point.

I would argue you are better than the Nigerian living in Isolo - $4,000 debt can be paid off, credit can be repaired, but can life be replaced? If you suffer brain damage due to lack of prompt medical attention that may not be recoverable.

As for Godogwu, clearly he is speaking from his (limited) experience. Life is very rosy when you can choose to study abroad at the expense of your folks, and pay for a legion of house helps and security guards at three houses in Nigeria. Such an experience doesn't lend itself to appreciating grinding poverty.

This comment shows it all:

Please point out the wealthiest diaspora nigerian and I will tell you someone who isn't loud that Is way wealthier than that person. I have never lacked anything in my 19 years in this life.

It's about who is 'richer' - where the 'richest' person is located, and the individual's own privileged existence.

Further supported by this:

Don't you believe that ther are meant to be poor and rich people in the world??, everybody cannot be comfortable.....never!!

In his own head - the ones that are poor are meant to be poor - some are meant to be gatemen, others are meant to be the rich kids going to college in the US. Nuff said really.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Skywalker5(m): 4:37pm On Oct 08, 2012
Godogwu: To adcoline and invertedhammer

Please point out the wealthiest diaspora nigerian and I will tell you someone who isn't loud that Is way wealthier than that person.

Typical mindset of a a black man. Does having wealth guarantee good quality of Life?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by adconline(m): 5:13pm On Oct 08, 2012
At no point here have i discussed the issue of the "uninsured", rather this was what i said - Close to 50% of the American population would have to go into debt just to pay the $4000 medical bill that Godogwu's mother had to pay for a 3 day hospital say. You also know that most times some dont pay and the rest of us end up with higher premiums to cover that expenses.

OP’s mother paid $4000.00 because she didn’t have any coverage. My relative had a medical problem as a foreign student, the bill was about $4000, his insurance picked almost 85% of the bill. He got the medical care and the insurance paid most of it. In Naija, no insurance, money and good hospital to take care of simplest cases.

The above has nothing to do with the percentage of uninsured. Let us even assume it is, your response is simplistic in that it automatically assumes that everyone else that is insured is guaranteed affordable healthcare. We both know that is a lie in the US. What your 15% fails to take into consideration are the vast millions who are underinsured (i.e. carry insurance cards that essentially do not provide the healthcare they need), those who will reach their lifetime insurance cap as a result of chronic illness (see cancer patients), those who will be dropped from medicaid rolls, dropped from their insurance coverage the minute they actually need to assess it most often due to long time chronic illness. You also do not take into account those whose "health insurance" is merely a health savings account and will be slammed with huge debts the moment they fall sick (i have a friend who just had to payout $5000 for a surgery on a broken nose - he carried "health insurance" by the way).

There you go again. You are talking about folks in the US who have some sort of insurance and will be attended to by physicians and hospital Vs Nigerians who don’t have any insurance, money and hospital to take care of them. There are county and government hospitals in the US that provide services without strict adherence to having health insurance coverage. In Naija , there are no services like that. Basis of my argument: emergency medical problem. Got it?

]It is true that in the US you are not refused service but that is only in the case of an EMERGENCY. Try going into the hospital with a fever and asking for service.

County and government hospitals provide such services. What are your options in Naija? ZILCH

Not true. Millions die every year in the US because many do not have access to healthcare until their condition becomes impossible to save. Your sister would not have died in the US because her case was a medical emergency, unfortunately the bill for her care would end up costing the rest of us in higher premiums every year. It aint free

Skewing facts again. Million don’t die for lack of coverage unless you are taking about Naija. The last figure I saw was less than 30K. Does Naija have figures and stats? Someone getting saved is now equated to bilking the government. Any price tag on human life? Saving life vs Death. In Naija, it's not free and avaialable, in US, it's available and must be paid for.

They are not much different. Let us avoid the bias of looking at issues through rose-colored lenses. If you're broke as a result of not paying a medical bill you may as well be dead here - merely existing is not the same as living. Look at the below scenario...

1. You go broke because you are unable to pay a medical bill = bankruptcy.
2. Bankruptcy = no credit report
3. No credit report = unable to obtain a loan to buy a car, get a house or in some cases land a good job (yes many companies check credit reports as part of the pre-hiring process - i know because i had to consent to one only 3 months ago)

[b]People with bad credit still get medical attention in US, but people with severe medical attention die every day in Nigeria, go through Lagos highways and streets and see the number of patients begging for medical help. How many have you seen in the US?
Yes, cost of care could drive one to bankruptcy, but only the living gets a chance to file for bankruptcy not the dead, in Niaja, you don’t have a chance to live.
How many Nigerians can afford to pay $4000=N600,000 for a medical treatment overseas? Very few, so many Americans whose finances are similar to Odogwu’s mom can afford to get the same medical attention.
Comparing the best Naija has to offer – Odogwu’s mom – with the least insured in America is disingenuous. Let’s compare a pregnant woman in Oshodi market with a pregnant woman in the project in NYC,LA,Chicago in terms of care they each receive.
The type of care Odogwu got is the same type of care a hospital cleaner in that same hospital would get. Could their house servants in Naija enjoy the same treatment if it were to be in Naija?
Tell me how Mrs Odogwu’s servants are doing in Naija.
A Nigeria in Naija who makes about $100K a year does not have it better than a Naija in US/EU who makes $50K/yr in terms of standard of living.

[/b]
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Vogue50: 6:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
thelastPope: I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!
you have spoken well and I commend your patriotism. It's obvious that some people are crying more than the bereaved !
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 8:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
debosky: ^^ This whole discussion of insurance is a bit of a diversion - yes it would cost someone $4000 to get treatment for 3 days and many people would go into debt/can't afford that. In many parts of Nigeria, even if you had $40,000, you wouldn't be able to get the medical attention to save your life. That's the real point.

I would argue you are better than the Nigerian living in Isolo - $4,000 debt can be paid off, credit can be repaired, but can life be replaced? If you suffer brain damage due to lack of prompt medical attention that may not be recoverable.

As for Godogwu, clearly he is speaking from his (limited) experience. Life is very rosy when you can choose to study abroad at the expense of your folks, and pay for a legion of house helps and security guards at three houses in Nigeria. Such an experience doesn't lend itself to appreciating grinding poverty.

This comment shows it all:

It's about who is 'richer' - where the 'richest' person is located, and the individual's own privileged existence.

Further supported by this:

In his own head - the ones that are poor are meant to be poor - some are meant to be gatemen, others are meant to be the rich kids going to college in the US. Nuff said really.

Trust me you have spoken very well, nevertheless you miss interpreted some of my statements. I made that "richer" comment with respect to a person who was talking about the standard of living. He mentioned that a poor Nigerian in the diaspora is able to afford the luxury of the richest of people in Nigeria (Paraphrasing). That and also an individual whose comments made it seem like diaspora Nigerians are the ones supporting everyone in Nigeria.

I have learnt from my parents not to worship money...I would always tell people "I am not rich", "My family isn't rich", Mike Adenuga is rich, Dangote is rich....not my dad.

Finally, i believe in social balance. Even in SOC 101 you would learn that from a functionalist's perspective there are meant to be rich and poor people in the society for the presence of social balance. Point out a country where every individual is comfortable (not rich... not poor)then I would rest my case but I can assure you that there is none. TO further support my statement I would like you to picture a scenerio where everyone is a "CEO",MD etc... and tell me how that society would work. I believe there is dignity in labor, I respect whichever maid, gate man, driver, gardener or whoever that has worked for my parents.... not everyone that is fortunate is rotten, wicked or heartless.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 8:48pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sky-walker:

Typical mindset of a a black man. Does having wealth guarantee good quality of Life?

NO!! having wealth doesn't guarantee good quality of life. I have an uncle and aunt who are pretty well off and still don't have a kid, they adopted but its still not thesame. Sometimes the lady cries to my mum that shes been to different pastors and churches....that sorta stuff so yea. I'm also sure there are people out there who have great ideas but have no funds to accomplish them, so there you have it... no one lives a perfect life and I myself is not an exception
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by debosky(m): 9:47pm On Oct 08, 2012
Godogwu:
Trust me you have spoken very well, nevertheless you miss interpreted some of my statements. I made that "richer" comment with respect to a person who was talking about the standard of living. He mentioned that a poor Nigerian in the diaspora is able to afford the luxury of the richest of people in Nigeria (Paraphrasing). That and also an individual whose comments made it seem like diaspora Nigerians are the ones supporting everyone in Nigeria.

Your fixation on 'defending' the 'rich' of Nigeria is my issue with you - you simply don't get it. Civilised societies are interested in raising the general standard of living to a decent level, not obsessed with (a rich kid) 'proving' some rich people somewhere are better off.

Finally, i believe in social balance. Even in SOC 101 you would learn that from a functionalist's perspective there are meant to be rich and poor people in the society for the presence of social balance. Point out a country where every individual is comfortable (not rich... not poor)then I would rest my case

Again you miss the point - social balance is not a case of some being (forcibly) poor while others are rich. The issue is with the quality of life of the majority of individuals. That you simply think it is all about naira and kobo again reveals your mindset. I did not say everyone has to be rich, but your previous claim was that some are 'meant' to be poor while others are 'meant' to be rich - such thinking is utterly backward and is responsible for many of the ills in Nigeria.

TO further support my statement I would like you to picture a scenerio where everyone is a "CEO",MD etc... and tell me how that society would work.

I don't see anyone here advocating for making everyone CEOs. The issue is with everyone having a chance to make the best of themselves, not just the rich kid (of no effort/fault of his own) whose father can send him abroad and pay his school fees.

I believe there is dignity in labor, I respect whichever maid, gate man, driver, gardener or whoever that has worked for my parents.... not everyone that is fortunate is rotten, wicked or heartless.

I never said you were 'rotten', 'wicked' or 'heartless' - you simply do not understand the import of your words. To say that it is the 'place' of others to serve you (because everyone can't be rich) is a wrong mentality.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 10:38pm On Oct 08, 2012
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godogwu: 10:46pm On Oct 08, 2012
@Debosky
"Your fixation on 'defending' the 'rich' of Nigeria is my issue with you - you simply don't get it. Civilised societies are interested in raising the general standard of living to a decent level, not obsessed with "

First off, i am not "defending" the "rich" as you say. I am simply saying that everyone cannot be rich, I am also saying that even if everyone where giving equal opportunity some would fail..,its that simple. lets face facts, most american students go to school with loans and still some of them don't make it half way through. Yes, the playing field isn't that equal in Nigeria at the moment but there are situations where people rose from nothing to greatness even in that circumstance. Nigeria is also interested in improving the general standard of living, that's why we presently have a middle class...20 years ago there was nothing of a sort. frankly i don't know where my discussion has been about " (a rich kid) 'proving' some rich people somewhere are better off."

"Again you miss the point - social balance is not a case of some being (forcibly) poor while others are rich. The issue is with the quality of life of the majority of individuals. That you simply think it is all about naira and kobo again reveals your mindset. I did not say everyone has to be rich, but your previous claim was that some are 'meant' to be poor while others are 'meant' to be rich - such thinking is utterly backward and is responsible for many of the ills in Nigeria."

Quality of life for the majority of individuals?....point noted. Would you argue that a greater amount of US/EU residents and citizens live the "comfortable life" ?. Again its not all about money for me....this post was titled "why are Nigerians in diaspora bitter" and I made a few points before some angry people who always resort to saying all the bad about Nigeria sprung up. Generally these bitter people say all these bad things about Nigeria to make people like me who live in Nigeria feel bad but frankly I can't be bothered because I know its not all rosy in these US/EU countries. you can go on and on talking about the standard of living and all, but comparing Nigeria to the US is like comparing a 6 year old boy to a 20 year old man with respect to maturity, fitness and physical strength; of course the 20 year old man is better off.

"I don't see anyone here advocating for making everyone CEOs. The issue is with everyone having a chance to make the best of themselves, not just the rich kid (of no effort/fault of his own) whose father can send him abroad and pay his school fees."

Exactly!!!, let them even the playing field. Not everyone can afford to send their kids to college, this is a problem everywhere in the world.

"I never said you were 'rotten', 'wicked' or 'heartless' - you simply do not understand the import of your words. To say that it is the 'place' of others to serve you (because everyone can't be rich) is a wrong mentality."

I never said its the place of others to serve me, NO... I just made it clear that their would always be rich people who can afford all and everything and there are also going to be the poor ones who don't have such a luxury at their disposal. (and the population of the latter always out weighs that of the former).
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Deyinka007: 6:49pm On Oct 09, 2012
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Deyinka007: 7:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by odumorun1: 9:19pm On Oct 09, 2012
I feel this post is a trifle foolish.

If you have lived in a country where everybody is treated fairly,wherebasic rights are respecvted,where you can get job on merit not rely on an uncles letter,or Godfather's message where women can hope to be promoted without opening their legs to their managers. where theives are in prison not in power then its hard nottolookback at wasted youth its hard nottolook back in anger

If diasporean Nigerians werea hated nigeria why would they bother with coming to sites like naira land. They come because having seen the way advanced societies are organised, they feel angry that socieites without half the resources we have are doing so much better.

In reality those in the Diaspora represent the cream of Nigerian society.There are thousands of Nigerians in the west working in variety of professional felids, finance, engineering, teaching, engineering IT,Project Management etc. Many performing briliiantly in asociety where african migrants are at the bottom of the food chain. I can assureyou that unlike in Nigeria EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM GOT THEIR JOB ON MERIT. You know why becos no whiteman is going to act as a Godfather to a black african in the west. Lets be honest togood jobs in Nigeria go tothe best candidate.

If you see any Nigerian holding down a good job in the west one thing is clear he gotthe job and is keeoping it because he orshe deserves it..Can you say the same thing of all professionals in Nigeria

Many diasporeans are bitter because a lot of them were denied opportunities they deserved in Nigeria to the advantage ofthe well onnected, but not necessarily more deserving people abroad and securing even better opportunities on merit makes you look back in anger.

I know of a chemical engineer who went foran interview in Chevron Nigeria - he had a good first degree from a reputable iversity in Nigeria.He did notget the job and he found a out that a lot of less deserving people wereemployed including humanities gradutaes in a technical ield.

He challenged this with the American recruiter who told him he simply wasn'tgood enough for them.

He finally madeit abroa,got ajob in Chevron's head office - did very well and was quickly promoted. One day he went for aseminar in Toronto and metthe samelady whoinsulted himin Nigeria. He was handling a class in the seminar - she was one ofhis students .Its hard nottolook back in anger at that kind of society

If you feel all nigerians abroad arewashing plates then you are living in the past.In London which Iam familiar with there is no local government no hospital, bank, insurance company IT company where Nigerians are not holding their own in responsible and professionall positions against the best brains in the world.London is the business centre of the world.

And if you are an immigrant working abroad you will WORK -there is no big brother to gocry to if you don't perform

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by OilSubsidy: 1:31pm On Oct 10, 2012
^^^^ Thanks a lot my brother for this wonderful write-up of yours. Let them keep deceiving themselves with the millions and billions they are stealing and claim to be making genuinely.

My own brother was refused employment as a graduate engineer by one of the oil companies in Nigeria after going through their rigourous interview abroad. On what basis you may ask me. I guess it was on tribal line. Thanks GOD the head office saw the potential in him and employed him. Today after less than 5 years on the Job he has climbed more than a nigeria in nigeria with over 15 years in service in the same company. One day GOD's willing he will be sent back to Nigeria to manage them cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 10, 2012
Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter?! Another ostrich party thread. Mtchew!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 2:57pm On Oct 10, 2012
Deyinka007:
If that's your reason, America had JFK and Lincoln, too..

of course, and it happened 5 yrs ago....isn't it?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Deyinka007: 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2012
coogar:

of course, and it happened 5 yrs ago....isn't it?
Yeah, their democracy started 5 years ago, no?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by defbond1: 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2012
MoD
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by jumobi1(m): 7:45pm On Oct 10, 2012
The OP is bitter.
Like Fela said, Nigerians are suffering and smiling. When you come overseas you will vex because it would dawn on you that Nigeria is mismanaged. I lived in freaking Eritrea and they have 24hr electricity for the most part.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2012
Deyinka007:
Yeah, their democracy started 5 years ago, no?

stop clowning mate! jfk was murdered in the 60s...some of the people i mentioned were assassinated in the last 5 yrs...there's a universe of difference!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 10, 2012
jumobi1: The OP is bitter.
Like Fela said, Nigerians are suffering and smiling. When you come overseas you will vex because it would dawn on you that Nigeria is mismanaged. I lived in freaking Eritrea and they have 24hr electricity for the most part.

Serious face palm. Nigerian leaders are shameless.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 12:48am On Oct 11, 2012
jumobi1: The OP is bitter.

shocked shocked shocked angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Deyinka007: 4:16am On Oct 11, 2012
coogar:

stop clowning mate! jfk was murdered in the 60s...some of the people i mentioned were assassinated in the last 5 yrs...there's a universe of difference!
Okay, okay, I'll stop now lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by deblikings: 5:30am On Oct 11, 2012
The so called diaporans cap sheet on internt over a white man's roof.My guyz we don't need them to move naija to the next level neither are they more innovative or creative than homebase.ignoring them is the best deal.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Ifychiny: 1:21pm On Oct 11, 2012
There is no Nigerian who watched the grotesque video of those 4 Uniport boys who is not bitter and angry with the state of things in Nigeria. I laugh when people say Nigerians in Diaspora are washing plates e.t.c There is no doubts some actually do but not all. It's just so pathetic that our homeland is deteriorating. Nothing seems to be working, what is our health system like as its not everyone that can afford to patronise St Nicholas, Reddington, EKO e.t.c. As a work migrant in UK, I am entitled to the services of the NHS National Health Service. I know how I was treated during my pregnancy, consistent checkups to keep my blood pressure down. Free drugs until my child turned one year. Even after, it would only cost me £7 to get my prescription. This is accessible to all classes of citizens and (Work/Student migrants). I currently work in the IT department of a financial company in UK and it is clear my recruitment was based on merits.
Do you know why a lot of people scramble to leave Nigeria legally and illegally, it is because of the state of things. We have thieves here but on no account will they be subjected to this grotesque treatment. Why have they not lynched the looters of the Nigerian treasury if Nigerians are hell bent on getting rid of the undesirable elements?
My travelling abroad has really broadened my horizon and made me more humane. Nigerians in Diaspora are only bitter at the decay of most things in Nigeria. Buying fuel to run the generator is not a problem for me whenever I visit Nigeria, but I keep asking myself, when will this end. Since I was 5 years, I have been hearing that Nigeria will be good, now 33,I still see kerosene lantern. I only wish for the basic amenities to be made available in my homeland and for life to stop being cheap in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by defbond1: 9:53pm On Oct 11, 2012
Lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nateevs(m): 7:36pm On Oct 13, 2012
A really sad experience. Consequences of a failed system. It's hard not to laugh at the topic if you spend a minute outside Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 12:21pm On Oct 15, 2012
defbond1: @ the last pope.
I am tempted to get angry and lash out at you but I won't!

Am I angry at nigeria? Read my short story and tell me how I should feel. Ok?

I lost my only younger brother to nigeria.
I held his hand while he was dying.
He had gone to lokoja to do Christmas with a family friend with the intention of comig home to lagos for new year.
He got sick and used strong anti biotics and ruptured his intestine.
My parents were away in America for holiday. So I travelled to lokoja and got there4pm.
I met my brother for the last time and I had to wait about 3 hrs to see a night doctor. Apparently no proper handover. Doctor said he just confirmed he had ruptured intestine and would require a surgery. Ok doc do the surgery. He told me point blank he wouldn't without me paying N30k. Told him N30k was the least of my worries but can only get to bank the next day. He refused. Even my late younger had over 100k in his Zenith bank account. (Which he opened with N50k deposit)
Long story short. The boy died on the 30th Dec 2005. Aged 21. While people all over the world were counting down to new year. I and my family were reduced to tears.
Cos of N30k. I'm ashamed to say it! N30k. Not. Because we couldn't afford it but I didn't know he would need a surgery as I wasn't warned before I left lagos. And it was late I couldn't get to bank.
I had to break the news to my dad abroad. But I was ashamed to tell him my brother died cos of N30k. I have carried this burden in my heart for 7 years.
I left Nigeria and everyday I cry when I see how things work here. Had he been here. He would have lived.

Tell me @thelastpope, if u were me, would you be angry at nigeria?

I suggest to you thelastpope. That you think it through before you start writing stuffs you have no idea about. What goes around comes around. And pray you don't have this experience in nigeria.

In a nutshell, that you have a decent house and can afford a balanced diet in nigeria doesn't even make you half as better as a Nigerian cleaning the streets here.

If you think you are enjoying life in Nigeria. Goodluck to you. I hope it doesn't take u so long before the penny drops.

Actually, I can go online right now and give you a hundred stories from Americans about America, similar to your story. That is even the point of the whole health care reform dabate. I feel your pain but you miss the whole point. I have been abroad more than once and am not holed up in Nigeria. I have 3 visas on my passport

The point is simple:

Nigeria has her many issues but it is our country

Your story should inspire you to do things to change Nigeria so others would not suffer your fate, not make you bitter. Unfortunately, that is the difference between many oyibos and black men. How did Americans react to the great depression or germans to post 1st and 2nd world war crisis?

Let your story motivate you to be a change agent. That is why we have the Mandelas, Ghandis of this world.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nateevs(m): 8:30pm On Oct 15, 2012
thelastPope:

Actually, I can go online right now and give you a hundred stories from Americans about America, similar to your story. That is even the point of the whole health care reform dabate. I feel your pain but you miss the whole point. I have been abroad more than once and am not holed up in Nigeria. I have 3 visas on my passport

The point is simple:

Nigeria has her many issues but it is our country

Your story should inspire you to do things to change Nigeria so others would not suffer your fate, not make you bitter. Unfortunately, that is the difference between many oyibos and black men. How did Americans react to the great depression or germans to post 1st and 2nd world war crisis?

Let your story motivate you to be a change agent. That is why we have the Mandelas, Ghandis of this world.

What have you done yet?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by debosky(m): 10:46pm On Oct 15, 2012
^^ You dey mind on the boy?

Typical Nigerian who likes to talk till the cows come home and point fingers at everybody else - Ajanlekoko calls it scapegoating. grin

In this case the 'so bitter' folk are the target. cheesy

All the hot air he's been blowing on nairaland is sufficient to drive wind turbines to generate Lagos' electricity for an entire week. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 15, 2012
debosky: ^^ You dey mind on the boy?

Typical Nigerian who likes to talk till the cows come home and point fingers at everybody else - Ajanlekoko calls it scapegoating. grin

In this case the 'so bitter' folk are the target. cheesy

All the hot air he's been blowing on nairaland is sufficient to drive wind turbines to generate Lagos' electricity for an entire week. grin

grin grin grin grin Agbaya Debo
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by OilSubsidy: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2012
^^^^^ The truth is that the Nigeria elites are bitter that the average joe bloggs can find his/her way to oyibo land by whatever means and succeed in making a serious change to his/her life. The rich Nigerian is bitter when they come abroad and see us surviving and helping our folks back home to beat poverty. They are bitter when they see us here fresher and looking better than them and their entire lineage upon all the money they steal. Look at all our presidents both past and present and see how dem 'wohwoh' upon all the looting!

So they turn round and label us as been bitter. They will rather all of us stay in Naija while only them come abroad to live it up and still oppress us back home.

During the great depression in Ireland, a lot of them left their country to other climes. Today you have more irish outside the country. Has that stopped their leaders and the country making progress? No of course.

Let them keep deceiving themselves. As long as they refuse to do what Nigerians elected them to do. Nigerians will continue to leave by any means possible in order to better their lives. Life is too short not to try and be the best you can be!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Sex Scandal In The Us:3 Reps May Step Aside / Buhari Signs Amendment To Executive Order 008 On VOARS / Buhari, Jonathan, Others Congratulate Tinubu At 68

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.