Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30346 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 11:52am On Oct 05, 2012
I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!

82 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arsenate(m): 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2012
I agree with u. Those diasporans are quite bitter. They come here on NL to put us home based Nigerians down with all their negative crap. Naaaaa; they won't achieve that with me. They are on a long thing, lol.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nduchucks: 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2012
There is always something frustrating about being stuck abroad while your mates are making millions back home. They blame Nigerian leaders for their failure while ignoring the fact that they themselves have personally contributed zilch towards the betterment of Nigeria. These people are in effect worse than the leaders they are quick to attack

Let me also add that a few of them return to run for various offices and start businesses, but these are exceptions.

20 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 05, 2012
i call it transfered aggression, they actually thought it was all rosy in diaspora, but i'm too certain they met a brick wall, hence, they choose τ̅o locate anything nigerian both online & offline for attack! i ℓoℓ wen i watch them bn humilated on UK border force & †ЂΞ likes. They so pathetic! Wetin una find go anoda man backyard? ℓoℓ some of my cousins on facebook r guilty of dis trash. Unu sorry o

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by chatterly: 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
THERE WAS AN ARTICLE ABOUT A NIGERIAN WOMAN WHO WAS DENIED A US VISA DUE TO SOME ISSUES ABOUT HAVING HER BABY IN THE US,SUPRISINGLY A LOT OF THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS CAME FROM DIASPORIANS!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
ndu_chucks: There is always something frustrating about being stuck abroad while your mates are making millions back home. They blame Nigerian leaders for their failure while ignoring the fact that they themselves have personally contributed zilch towards the betterment of Nigeria. These people are in effect worse than the leaders they are quick to attack

Let me also add that a few of them return to run for various offices and start businesses, but these are exceptions.

Exactly spot on! I really don't understand them sometimes. If it isn't working well abroad, why not come back home. I was with someone recently who lives in Europe and the tales of Nigerians there is woeful.

There is a difference between critisizing Nigerian leaders and hating Nigeria. We can criticize leaders when they don't perform but we cannot afford to hate Nigeria. How many of them have come together in groups to initiate projects for improving Nigeria? They don't even attend occupy Nigeria protests abroad, yet they make noise on NL. The occupy Nigeria protests in the UK and US were scanty! I am not even sure they have the skillsets required to do anything meaningful. Shame!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
chatterly: THERE WAS AN ARTICLE ABOUT A NIGERIAN WOMAN WHO WAS DENIED A US VISA DUE TO SOME ISSUES ABOUT HAVING HER BABY IN THE US,SUPRISINGLY A LOT OF THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS CAME FROM DIASPORIANS!!!!!

Huh! Frustration unlimited. I am going to make a challenge to them soon. Some even think we don't know as much as them just because they live abroad. They forget that this is Internet age where the world is now a global village.

One f00l was telling me off during an argument because he lives in US and I live in Nigeria but I let him know someone living in Iraq can know more about the USA than someone living in California in this new world we live in. They probably think we live on trees!

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:
They don't even attend occupy Nigeria protests abroad, yet they make noise on NL. The occupy Nigeria protests in the UK and US were scanty! I am not even sure they have the skillsets required to do anything meaningful. Shame!
haba mallam! Do u want UK border force & †ЂΞ likes τ̅o swoop on them? Or u not aware they illegally occupy their respective countries of residence already? º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Demdem(m): 2:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
@Op

Me think u are wrong. what gives u the impression that its only "diasporans" that are dissatisfied with the happenings in our country?

14 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by bokohalal(m): 2:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
The topic should read"why are some Nigerians in diaspora and at home so bitter?"

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Geomac: 2:11pm On Oct 05, 2012
bokohalal: The topic should read"why are some Nigerians in diaspora and at home so bitter?"

You are very correct.

OP, I don't think they hate Nigeria as a country but they are not just happy with the entire system compare with what they have up there.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nduchucks: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2012
Demdem: @Op

Me think u are wrong. what gives u the impression that its only "diasporans" that are dissatisfied with the happenings in our country?

True Nigerian at home and in diaspora alike, are bitter,but the OP asks a question about those in diaspora
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 2:15pm On Oct 05, 2012

My friend, read my post again. Even the title is clear enough. I said "why are they so bitter". There is no Nigerian that is satisfied with the happenings in Nigeria. I am not satisfied but I am not bitter either. What we see on NL all the time is bitterness and negativity. Read some of my posts and you will see where I have criticized Nigeria too. But I do not disrespect or ridicule my country. Foreigners read this stuff sometimes and its really sad what they see.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2012
Geomac:

You are very correct.

OP, I don't think they hate Nigeria as a country but they are not just happy with the entire system compare with what they have up there.

So let me ask you a question. If you are not happy with your family, will you go around talking them down and refering to them in degrading and despicable ways?

Imagine words like "that poo country". "That dung of a country". "That hell hole". "Do people still live in that useless place?" And so on. Please don't defend their bitterness

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ballabriggs: 2:20pm On Oct 05, 2012
It is simple. You live in a country that does not have a quarter of the resources Nigeria has but they are able to organise themselves and use the little they have to uplift humanity. We cannot simply provide basic healthcare for our people in spite of the resources we have, how pathetic. You call it corruption, I call it cannibalism. It is people eating their own.

Secondly it is absolutely false to say these guys do not contribute anything to Nigeria. Part of their earnings are capital flows to Nigeria in the form of remittances. That is a source of foreign exchange earnings to Nigeria. Also most of them spend their time studying abroad. That is contributing to the stock of human capital for Nigeria. In addition, some of them have foundations and societies that contribute to development in Nigeria. For example, some of my relatives and I in the US and the UK have a foundation and we know how much that foundation has contributed to humanity in Abonema our immediate constituency.

It is myopic to think most of them make no contribution to uplift Nigeria. They are not under any obligation to make known what they have done. The mere fact that they contribute in debates on Nairaland brings a diverse perspective to issues and the least that should be done is to appreciate them as Nigerians interested in Nigeria and not vilify them.

33 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 05, 2012
ballabriggs: It is simple. You live in a country that does not have a quarter of the resources Nigeria has but they are able to organise themselves and use the little they have to uplift humanity. We cannot simply provide basic healthcare for our people in spite of the resources we have, how pathetic. You call it corruption, I call it cannibalism. It is people eating their own.

Secondly it is absolutely false to say these guys do not contribute anything to Nigeria. Part of their earnings are capital flows to Nigeria in the form of remittances. That is a source of foreign exchange earnings to Nigeria. Also most of them spend their time studying abroad. That is contributing to the stock of human capital for Nigeria. Also some of them have foundations societies which contributes to development in Nigeria. For example, I and some of my relatives in the US and UK have a foundation and we know how much that foundation has contributed to humanity in Abonema our immediate constitution.

It is myopic to think most of them make no contribution to uplift Nigeria. They are not under any obligation to make known what they have done. The mere fact that they contribute on debates in Nairaland brings a diverse perspective to issues and the least that should be done is to appreciate them as Nigerians interested in Nigeria and not vilify them.

Thanks for breaking it down to @OP in simple terms.

Since when did having a greater sense of urgency (due to much travel and a broader perspective) equate with bitterness?

We can't all roll over and pass ourselves off as the world's happiest people, when doing so is akin to suspending reality, you know.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 2:30pm On Oct 05, 2012
ballabriggs: It is simple. You live in a country that does not have a quarter of the resources Nigeria has but they are able to organise themselves and use the little they have to uplift humanity. We cannot simply provide basic healthcare for our people in spite of the resources we have, how pathetic. You call it corruption, I call it cannibalism. It is people eating their own.

Secondly it is absolutely false to say these guys do not contribute anything to Nigeria. Part of their earnings are capital flows to Nigeria in the form of remittances. That is a source of foreign exchange earnings to Nigeria. Also most of them spend their time studying abroad. That is contributing to the stock of human capital for Nigeria. Also some of them have foundations societies which contributes to development in Nigeria. For example, I and some of my relatives in the US and UK have a foundation and we know how much that foundation has contributed to humanity in Abonema our immediate constitution.

It is myopic to think most of them make no contribution to uplift Nigeria. They are not under any obligation to make known what they have done. The mere fact that they contribute on debates in Nairaland brings a diverse perspective to issues and the least that should be done is to appreciate them as Nigerians interested in Nigeria and not vilify them.

Like I indicated in my post, not all diasporans are bad. But most of them are. I repeat, they contribute nothing. There are over 1 million Nigerians in the UK. If a tenth of them contribute meaningfully to Nigeria, believe me, you will feel the impact. These Nigerians even collect monies from many foreign donors in the name of coming to Nigeria to develope the place but end up spending the money on expensive cars. I have first hand experience so I know what I am saying. Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora and 90% of these NGOs are fraud! They are a nuisance here on NL.

You might not know the value of building hope in people but I know what it is to inspire hope. If we are to go by the NL contributions of many diaspora Nigerians, we will all give up.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Demdem(m): 2:31pm On Oct 05, 2012
ndu_chucks:

True Nigerian at home and in diaspora alike, are bitter,but the OP asks a question about those in diaspora

i expect him to know that the same reasons why those at home are bitter should be the same with little or no difference with those in diaspora. We all are humans and we all want to live good and well secured lives. looking for any other reason IMO is dumb.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tpia5: 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2012
its the frustration of living abroad.

many nigerians arent familiar with the concept of being judged by your skin colour, ethnicity, or country of origin, until they travel overseas and mingle with other races.

the status quo over there nows turns into transferred aggression and hatred of nigeria/ns.

they also see it as a chance to settle old scores and grudges which, had they not left nigeria, wouldnt have been a priority.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Demdem(m): 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:

My friend, read my post again. Even the title is clear enough. I said "why are they so bitter". There is no Nigerian that is satisfied with the happenings in Nigeria. I am not satisfied but I am not bitter either. What we see on NL all the time is bitterness and negativity. Read some of my posts and you will see where I have criticized Nigeria too. But I do not disrespect or ridicule my country. Foreigners read this stuff sometimes and its really sad what they see.

Ok, av also modified my post to suit ur taste tongue why should i care about what foreigners think about me when my own leaders that ought to care dont give a damn.

Me think u are wrong. what gives u the impression that its only "diasporans" that are bitter with the happenings in our country?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 2:37pm On Oct 05, 2012
Demdem:

i expect him to know that the same reasons why those at home are bitter should be the same with little or no difference with those in diaspora. We all are humans and we all want to live good and well secured lives. looking for any other reason IMO is dumb.

I know a few Nigerians, who live in Nigeria like you, are bitter. But you are a small minority. Most Nigerians are not happy with the state of affairs but will not ridicule or insult their country.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Afam4eva(m): 2:37pm On Oct 05, 2012
I don't think the Nigerians in the diaspora are doing anything that the ones at home are not doing. I will even say it's those at home that whine more because unlike the Naija based ones, the ones abroad probably left when thing were relatively better. So, they've not experienced the current frustration that those at home are experiencing on a daily basis.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:

Like I indicated in my post, not all diasporans are bad. But most of them are. I repeat, they contribute nothing. There are over 1 million Nigerians in the UK. If a tenth of them contribute meaningfully to Nigeria, believe me, you will feel the impact. These Nigerians even collect monies from many foreign donors in the name of coming to Nigeria to develope the place but end up spending the money on expensive cars. I have first hand experience so I know what I am saying. Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora and 90% of these NGOs are fraud! They are a nuisance here on NL.

You might not know the value of building hope in people but I know what it is to inspire hope. If we are to go by the NL contributions of many diaspora Nigerians, we will all give up.

I dare you to substantiate the following statements with facts (Note: in Romneyesque speak, you are not entitled to your own facts)

(1)Most Nigerians in the Diaspora are bad
(2)Less than one tenth of those in the UK contribute meaningfully to Nigeria
(3)Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora
(4)Nigerians based abroad are more of a nuisance on NL than those at home.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Demdem(m): 2:44pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:

I know a few Nigerians, who live in Nigeria like you, are bitter. But you are a small minority. Most Nigerians are not happy with the state of affairs but will not ridicule or insult their country.

Small minority u say grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ok prove it.
My friend, u have no basis.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tpia5: 2:45pm On Oct 05, 2012
Nigerians based abroad are more of a nuisance on NL than those at home

actually, can you honestly dispute this fact.

even the catankerous home-based ones [ie the home based nlers who are troublemakers], are heavily influenced by their overseas brethren.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by iykak47: 2:49pm On Oct 05, 2012
Op you mean Nigerians in diaspora are bitter while those in Naija are happy? Maybe happy over corruption, boko haram and death traps we call roads.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
tpia@:

actually, can you honestly dispute this fact.

even the catankerous home-based ones [ie the home based nlers who are troublemakers], are heavily influenced by their overseas brethren.

S/He who asserts must prove...
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Dede1(m): 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2012
Local champions are always delighted with beer parlor-styled discussion. This goofy thread is no exception. If Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter about the state of affairs in Nigeria, one can easily conclude without malice that the alleged bitterness is drawn from series of conspicuous dead-end behaviors from Nigerians at home. In addition, the so-called Nigerians in Diaspora have grown to appreciate orderly environment stuffed with social decorum.

In Nigeria, one can not enjoy a quiet moment in his\her ride without bumping into bad roads, wide eyed law enforcement agents, borderline crazies who use the road while blasting away the horn of their vehicles, hawkers on the roads, walking deaths on the roads that will not give right of way to vehicles, elected and non-elected individuals with incessant siren, encountering number of roadblocks by one government agency or another, the menace from idiotic weekend sanitation, loudmouthed dingbats who think they are right while awfully wrong, moronic ninnies driving on the wrong side of the road, unreasonably in hurry while going nowhere, traders taking over the passageways, junks of cars and lorries that could not escape from the gates of junkyards in civilized countries still ply the roads, constant lack of electricity, absolutely no running water, unforeseen menace of kidnappers, armed robbers, ritual predators and religious terrorists, rampant mosquito and snake bites, environmental hazards and social and political idiocy fueled by tribalism.

33 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by bokohalal(m): 3:03pm On Oct 05, 2012
^^ grin

Still have a problem with the generalisation.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arkti3(m): 3:05pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope: I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!

Yea brov....i subscribe to all what you've said but i think it's so glearing that you're also bittered because of your deportation from the UK. ini? lol wink

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ballabriggs: 3:06pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1: Local champions are always delighted with beer parlor-styled discussion. This goofy thread is no exception. If Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter about the state of affairs in Nigeria, one can easily conclude without malice that the alleged bitterness is drawn from series of conspicuous dead-end behaviors from Nigerians at home. In addition, the so-called Nigerians in Diaspora have grown to appreciate orderly environment stuffed with social decorum.

In Nigeria, one can not enjoy a quiet moment in his\her ride without bumping into bad roads, wide eyed law enforcement agents, borderline crazies who use the road while blasting away the horn of their vehicles, hawkers on the roads, walking deaths on the roads that will not give right of way to vehicles, elected and non-elected individuals with incessant siren, encountering number of roadblocks by one government agency or another, the menace from idiotic weekend sanitation, loudmouthed dingbats who think they are right while awfully wrong, moronic ninnies driving on the wrong side of the road, unreasonably in hurry while going nowhere, traders taking over the passageways, junks of cars and lorries that could not escape from the gates of junkyards in civilized countries still ply the roads, constant lack of electricity, absolutely no running water, unforeseen menace of kidnappers, armed robbers, ritual predators and religious terrorists, rampant mosquito and snake bites, environmental hazards and social and political idiocy fueled by tribalism.

Hehehehe Dede inyoburule. For the very first time I have to agree with an omekome like you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Arkti3(m): 3:08pm On Oct 05, 2012
iykak47: Op you mean Nigerians in diaspora are bitter while those in Naija are happy? Maybe happy over corruption, boko haram and death traps we call roads.

Don't mind the BARGA!!!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

IGP Ibrahim Idris: Anambra Passes Vote Of Confidence, Stages Solidarity Rally / Buhari, Jonathan, Others Congratulate Tinubu At 68 / Rhoda Iliya: FG Can Not Afford ₦300 Billion N-Power Beneficiaries’ Demands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.