Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon (4334 Views)

FG Sends Parents Of Kidnapped Chibok Girls To Cameroon / 3 PDP Governors In Buhari’s Team To Cameroon / 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by supereagle(m): 9:04pm On Oct 05, 2012
Ahead of the 10th October deadline for Nigeria to appeal against the Green Tree Agreement between Nigeria and Cameroun which led to the ceding of Nigeria’s oil rich Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroun, some Bakassi indigenes on Friday dragged the Federal Government before a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja where they sought for an order voiding the Green Tree Agreement signed by the Federal Government with Cameroun in 2006.

In a motion ex-parte filed on their behaalf by Mr Festus Ogwuche, they pleaded with the court to make an order of mandamus to compel the Federal Government by any means available, to repossess, occupy and take full legal and administrative control over the Bakassi Peninsula.

The motion was brought pursuant to section 1 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Enforcement and Ratification Act) Cap 10, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 1990, as well as Order 34 Rules 1(a), 3(1) and (2) of the Federal High Court Civil Procedure Rules, 2007.

The suit was endorsed by leaders of an association, Free Bakassi Association, led by Prince Imoh Ukpa Imoh. Others signatories were Mr Godwin Ukpong, Mr Chritian A. Umoh, Mr Anthony Achibong Ukong, Mr Kingsley Edu, Mr Etim Ekpeyong Ndong, Mr Offiong Anying Ekpeyong, Bassey Okon Osua and Bassey Ikoedem Antiga.

They want the Federal Government to withdraw and revoke Nigeria’s obligations under the Green Tree Agreement entered into between Nigeria and Cameroun in Green Tree, New York, USA on the 12th day of June, 2006, for being invalid and in breach of Articles 1, 2, 20, 21, 22 and 24 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights, Article 1 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Article 1(2) of the UN Charter, and the UN Declaration on the Rights of indigenous peoples, and being inconsistent with sections 1-3, 2(1) and (6), 13, 14(1) and (2)(b), 17(1), (2)(b), (c ) and (d), sections 19(a) and 9d0, 21(a) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

They further contended that ICJ gave its judgment on the protracted dispute over ownership of the oil rich Peninsula, based on archaic and anachronistic colonial declarations, and communications between colonial officers.

According to Mr. Ogwuche, the suit aims to compel the Federal Government to comply with its obligations and commitments under the African Charter and to withdraw its position under the Green Tree Agreement for being in breach of the African Charter, the 1999 constitution and all other international documents on human right, including Article 2 of the United Nations Charter as well as the UN charter on the rights of indigenous people.

The court, presided by Justice Gabriel Kolawole, however declined to rule on the exparte application noting that
The applicants raised far reaching national and legal issues that it needs to peruse carefully before making a decision in the case.

Ruling was subsequently adjourned to 9 October.
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/10/05/bakassi-natives-sue-nigeria-over-cession-to-cameroon/
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by ozodimgba(m): 9:47pm On Oct 05, 2012
Ok its getting more and more interesting everyday.
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by godello: 9:23am On Oct 06, 2012
Ruling adjournd till 9th of oct when the whole matter will end on the 10 of oct. Nigerians with their firebrigade approach. What magic will be done within 24hrs?.
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by killuminati(m): 9:24am On Oct 06, 2012
Sorry peeps, pls how do I check my nairaland PM?
Thankss!
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by jude33084(m): 9:25am On Oct 06, 2012
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by k2039: 9:27am On Oct 06, 2012
I dont know if this is one battle,Nigeria can win,I am begining to doubt if bakassi can ever be ours again

2 Likes

Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by bestower: 10:01am On Oct 06, 2012
daydreamers! u ve been sold since the regime of OBJ forget the battle because its already a lost one.be wise this is nigeria govt at work.
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by emabe: 10:01am On Oct 06, 2012
There really was no need for this. The FG had admitted after serious pressure from d house that since the GTA was not signed into law by the law maker. It was against the 1999 Nigerian constitution and so not binding on Nigeria. Meaning in plane text that Nigeria would context the ruling b4 d deadline. OBJ may be insulted till tomorrow for signing that threaty but no one knows how much pressure he was to do so by the international community. If u ask, I would say his not including d house gave Nigeria to context the ruling, which am sure he knew would happen. He just wanted to please some people but still give Nigeria a chance to save Bakassi from all these international politic rigmarole.

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by ujukala: 10:15am On Oct 06, 2012
The magic can happen within 24hours. Let us keep hope alive.
k2039: I dont know if this is one battle,Nigeria can win,I am begining to doubt if bakassi can ever be ours again

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Kslib(m): 10:24am On Oct 06, 2012
I just hope this will not light up a very serious conflict between naija and cameroun......
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by k2039: 10:31am On Oct 06, 2012
ujukala: The magic can happen within 24hours. Let us keep hope alive.

I jus hope ooo,the penisula itself is an asset to the country
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by betrani(m): 10:47am On Oct 06, 2012
Hw many more seconds do we have to wait for Nigeria to seek a review of Th GTA, these murder Fu_cker have to act fast o! because time is not on our side! so make them stop all these criminal delays!
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by betrani(m): 10:48am On Oct 06, 2012
Kslib: I just hope this will not light up a very serious conflict between naija and cameroun......
Who Cares? if france no come do magu magu, we go take five seconds finish them! them no go even try am!
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by packman: 10:49am On Oct 06, 2012
k2039:

I jus hope ooo,the penisula itself is an asset to the country

[size=25pt]THEN AFTER DAT WAT NEXT.......I REALLY CANT UDERSTAND NIGERIANS THE MOTIVE OF THE BAKASSI PEOPLE BUT I JUST FEEL THEIR REALLY STUPID FOR THE CHOICE THEY RE ABT TO MAKE.....

LESS WE FORGET THE NIAJA DELTA AND OTHER OIL PRODUCING ZONE IN THIS COUNTRY...... WHAT DO THE PEOPLE BENEFIT FROM IT......IF NOT THE WASTE PRODUCT OF THEIR MINERAL RESOURCES.......

I PRAY NIGERIA NEVER GET BAKASSI.......AND IF I WAS TO ADVICE THE FOOLISH PEOPLE OF BAKASSI GO IN GOOD TERM WITH THE CAMEROON GORVERNMENT AND GET WAT YOU WANT COS NIGERIA GOVERNMENT WUD JUST USE U AND DUMP THE WASTE FOR YOU [/size]

1 Like

Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Classicalman(m): 10:51am On Oct 06, 2012
Alas, parts of the old Biafra are already beginning to slip off Nigeria's hands. I laugh in ijaw. Hahahahhaaaa!!!!
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Kslib(m): 11:12am On Oct 06, 2012
packman:

[size=25pt]THEN AFTER DAT WAT NEXT.......I REALLY CANT UDERSTAND NIGERIANS THE MOTIVE OF THE BAKASSI PEOPLE BUT I JUST FEEL THEIR REALLY STUPID FOR THE CHOICE THEY RE ABT TO MAKE.....

LESS WE FORGET THE NIAJA DELTA AND OTHER OIL PRODUCING ZONE IN THIS COUNTRY...... WHAT DO THE PEOPLE BENEFIT FROM IT......IF NOT THE WASTE PRODUCT OF THEIR MINERAL RESOURCES.......

I PRAY NIGERIA NEVER GET BAKASSI.......AND IF I WAS TO ADVICE THE FOOLISH PEOPLE OF BAKASSI GO IN GOOD TERM WITH THE CAMEROON GORVERNMENT AND GET WAT YOU WANT COS NIGERIA GOVERNMENT WUD JUST USE U AND DUMP THE WASTE FOR YOU [/size]
I pray you never get deprived of what rightfully belongs to you.... No matter what happens,home is till home... So because the country is ruled by i..diots,the people of bakassi should forget their homeland and embrace a group of people that treat them as poo...
My guy,the people of bakassi live in bakassi,only them know what they've gone through from both the Nigerian government and the camerounian govt. They have their reasons for choosing to be part of their homeland and you have to respect their decision..

2 Likes

Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by packman: 11:25am On Oct 06, 2012
Kslib:
I pray you never get deprived of what rightfully belongs to you.... No matter what happens,home is till home... So because the country is ruled by i..diots,the people of bakassi should forget their homeland and embrace a group of people that treat them as poo...
My guy,the people of bakassi live in bakassi,only them know what they've gone through from both the Nigerian government and the camerounian govt. They have their reasons for choosing to be part of their homeland and you have to respect their decision..

[size=30pt]DEPRIVED? MR MAN IT WAS A SIGNED TREATY DONE WITH CLEAR EYES

SECONDLY THOSE AXS HOLES SUING F.G TO COURT RE NOT THE REAL PPLE OF BAKASSI GO TO BAKASSI AND SEE THE REAL ONES

THIRDLY ALL THIS ARE ALL NIGERIA GOVERNMENT POLITICAL PREAMBLE BAKASSI WILL NERVER COME BACK TO NIGERIA NO MATTER THE LENGHT THE GO [/size]
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by jimino(m): 11:37am On Oct 06, 2012
Dis government shld jst do d right thing by lodging am appeal at icj. Atleast der r new facts nw
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Zutchy: 11:56am On Oct 06, 2012
We need that peninsula,the oil there is rightfully ours and I am totally in support of jonathan asking the attorney general to file for a review of the judgement.
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by EzePromoe: 11:58am On Oct 06, 2012
[size=24pt]Going into this tussle stirs the truth more and more until it finally blows out, and that truth is that Bakassi peninsula was given by Nigerian government to Cameroon as a 'thank you' present for the role they played during the civil war.[/size]
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by mu2sa2: 12:06pm On Oct 06, 2012
If d FG had properly re-settled the bakassi people they would not be agitating now to return to d land they left 10 years ago.
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Kslib(m): 12:11pm On Oct 06, 2012
packman:

[size=30pt]DEPRIVED? MR MAN IT WAS A SIGNED TREATY DONE WITH CLEAR EYES

SECONDLY THOSE AXS HOLES SUING F.G TO COURT RE NOT THE REAL PPLE OF BAKASSI GO TO BAKASSI AND SEE THE REAL ONES

THIRDLY ALL THIS ARE ALL NIGERIA GOVERNMENT POLITICAL PREAMBLE BAKASSI WILL NERVER COME BACK TO NIGERIA NO MATTER THE LENGHT THE GO [/size]
I understand your point,but the real people of bakassi never agreed on that treaty.. Are you trying to say that bakassians don't want bo be part of Nigeria again.. If the people protesting are not real bakassians,then the real people should come out and tell Nigerains to leave them alone,only then shall we give up....
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by shadrach77: 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2012
this is as silly as silly can get. If the Nigerian government took a decision, why taking the Nigerian government to her own court? The sensible thing for them to do would have been to apply to the International Court of Justice smiley angry angry angry
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:35pm On Oct 06, 2012
[size=18pt]After the annulment and Nigeria gov takes full legal and administrative control of the Bakassi Peninsula. Cameroon is welcomed to declare War.

We don't need Nigeria army for dis one. The Southern Nigeria army can do the job. nonsense. angry

Even OBJ will run and leave dis country wen it starts. [/size] cheesy
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by bankyblue(m): 1:34pm On Oct 06, 2012
People don't be surprise that land has been sold and some people has share
The money. So all this is just bullshit. But my heart goes out to the people of
Bakassi. Today u re Nigerian , and tomorrow u re not. Hmmm
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Martmore: 1:55pm On Oct 06, 2012
To God who made me, if i be those ikaba boys, i 4 don join cameroon since.Wetin dem dey come back do for this contry wey no go see 2016.
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 06, 2012
Classicalman: Alas, parts of the old Biafra are already beginning to slip off Nigeria's hands. I laugh in ijaw. Hahahahhaaaa!!!!

You're a bAstard! For laughing at a situation as serious as this.. People like you die being extremely useless, even to themselves. Drunk he goat!
Re: Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 07, 2012
Good one, who ever thought of this is a brilliant genius, let the people decide where they want to be, the ICJ can be of no use to us as it only seeks to maintain the status quo of the colonial powers

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity May Continue In 2013 - NNPC Official / PHOTO NEWS ; New Railway Equipments Land In Portharcourt. / The 664 Years Old First Storey Building In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.