Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,959 members, 7,838,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? (1405 Views)

List Of Northerners And Their Appointments Under Gej's Government! / Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 07, 2012
I had to create this thread to ask questions and defuse the arguments, counter-arguments, and boring back and forth between Yoruba and Igbo posters on NL... This madness is getting boring now, and something has to be done before the 'fire' consumes everyone... Personally, I don't need Chinua Achebe's memoir to know what actually happened before, during, and after the war... I've a father and a late uncle who fought on the Nigerian side during the war(they joined the army as teenagers after Ore was invaded and Lagos was bombed several times by Biafran white mercenaries)... So, I have been privy to first-hand FACTS about the Biafran war since I was a kid... And I remember vividly that my father told me he joined the Nigerian army after Ojukwu boasted on Radio Biafra that he would be eating breakfast in Ibadan(can't remember the exact place in Yorubaland) by the next morning - and Awolowo subsquently pleaded with every Yoruba parent with more than two sons to allow one of them join the Nigerian army - to save Yorubaland from invasion...

The counter coup and pogroms against Igbos were done by both Northerners and Mid-Belters - and they were also the bulk of the Nigerian soldiers who fought during the war - why are my Igbo brothers and sisters not holding them responsible for the war How come they only talk about the role(s) Yoruba people played during the war?? Yoruba people are also not more culpable in the 'genocide' than the other minority tribes in Southern Nigeria who joined the war after the Biafran invasion of their homelands... Yoruba had Awolowo, Adekunle, Obasanjo etc... Old Bendel had Ogbemudia, Ejoor etc... Rivers/Ijaw had Adaka Boro, Ken Saro Wiwa, Lt. Col. Abogo Largema etc... Calabar had Colonel EA Etuk etc.. Yoruba people played arguably the same role(s) as the other Southern tribes to end the war - however, why do Igbo people continue to blame only the Yorubas for their woes and the supposed 'genocide'?? Why not the Northerners who executed the counter-coup, pogroms, and subsequently invaded Igboland at the beginning of the war??

I'm tired of this never ending back and forth, it's getting boring now... If the two loud tribes are tired of Nigeria, get the hell out of the country, and let those who want to remain in the Nigeria live in peace... Nigeria has 250 tribes/ethnic groups - not just Igbo and Yoruba!!!!!!!

Over 200,000 comments on the internet in the last three days alone - you guys are sick in the head!!
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Dede1(m): 5:35pm On Oct 07, 2012
shymexx: I had to create this thread to ask questions and defuse the arguments, counter-arguments, and boring back and forth between Yoruba and Igbo posters on NL... This madness is getting boring now, and something has to be done before the 'fire' consumes everyone... Personally, I don't need Chinua Achebe's memoir to know what actually happened before, during, and after the war... I've a father and a late uncle who fought on the Nigerian side during the war(they joined the army as teenagers after Ore was invaded and Lagos was bombed several times by Biafran white mercenaries)... So, I have been privy to first-hand FACTS about the Biafran war since I was a kid... And I remember vividly that my father told me he joined the Nigerian army after Ojukwu boasted on Radio Biafra that he would be eating breakfast in Ibadan(can't remember the exact place in Yorubaland) by the next morning - and Awolowo subsquently pleaded with every Yoruba parent with more than two sons to allow one of them join the Nigerian army - to save Yorubaland from invasion...

The counter coup and pogroms against Igbos were done by both Northerners and Mid-Belters - and they were also the bulk of the Nigerian soldiers who fought during the war - why are my Igbo brothers and sisters not holding them responsible for the war How come they only talk about the role(s) Yoruba people played during the war?? Yoruba people are also not more culpable in the 'genocide' than the other minority tribes in Southern Nigeria who joined the war after the Biafran invasion of their homelands... Yoruba had Awolowo, Adekunle, Obasanjo etc... Old Bendel had Ogbemudia, Ejoor etc... Rivers/Ijaw had Adaka Boro, Ken Saro Wiwa, Lt. Col. Abogo Largema etc... Calabar had Colonel EA Etuk etc.. Yoruba people played arguably the same role(s) as the other Southern tribes to end the war - however, why do Igbo people continue to blame only the Yorubas for their woes and the supposed 'genocide'?? Why not the Northerners who executed the counter-coup, pogroms, and subsequently invaded Igboland at the beginning of the war??

I'm tired of this never ending back and forth, it's getting boring now... If the two loud tribes are tired of Nigeria, get the hell out of the country, and let those who want to remain in the Nigeria live in peace... Nigeria has 250 tribes/ethnic groups - not just Igbo and Yoruba!!!!!!!

Over 200,000 comments on the internet in the last three days alone - you guys are sick in the head!!

You are an unrepentant ignoramus. Please get your facts corrected before going public with them. Does the act of bearing falsehood inherent with Yoruba? Haba!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 07, 2012
Dede1:
You are an unrepentant ignoramus. Please get your facts corrected before going public with them. Does the act of bearing falsehood inherent with Yoruba? Haba!!!!

Bwahahahaha

You haven't answered my questions, grandpa...
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by nduchucks: 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2012
Ignorance can be as dangerous as being informed, in many case. You sir, Dede1 and Shymexx, are on each side of that coin.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Rossikk(m): 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2012
Why do you fools like using the word ''tribe'' to describe ethnic groups numbering millions of people? Some large enough to form several nations?

It's so stu.pid and illiterate. And thoughtless.

I mean, what was the point of sending you to college/university if you can openly make such a blatant error?
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
Rossikk: Why do you fools like using the word ''tribe'' to describe ethnic groups numbering millions of people? Some large enough to form several nations?

It's so stu.pid and illiterate. And thoughtless.

I mean, what was the point of sending you to college/university if you can openly make such a blatant error?

Calm your ar.se down, mate...

Are you too dumb and stupid to know that the heading on NL has word limitations? - GTFOH and go take your meds... undecided
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by AndreUweh(m): 6:55pm On Oct 07, 2012
shymexx: I had to create this thread to ask questions and defuse the arguments, counter-arguments, and boring back and forth between Yoruba and Igbo posters on NL... This madness is getting boring now, and something has to be done before the 'fire' consumes everyone... Personally, I don't need Chinua Achebe's memoir to know what actually happened before, during, and after the war... I've a father and a late uncle who fought on the Nigerian side during the war(they joined the army as teenagers after Ore was invaded and Lagos was bombed several times by Biafran white mercenaries)... So, I have been privy to first-hand FACTS about the Biafran war since I was a kid... And I remember vividly that my father told me he joined the Nigerian army after Ojukwu boasted on Radio Biafra that he would be eating breakfast in Ibadan(can't remember the exact place in Yorubaland) by the next morning - and Awolowo subsquently pleaded with every Yoruba parent with more than two sons to allow one of them join the Nigerian army - to save Yorubaland from invasion...

Did Prof Achebe just publish a book about Biafran war?. The answer is no.
What the Prof has done was to publish his personal account during the war. The prof will not be interested in writing a book of 10,000 pages and has just chosen to write about his personal encounters during the impasse. The prof was not in the middle belt during the war so he can not manufacture stories that did not personally involve him.
Has the prof lied?. No. As you said, the stories about the war is what you already know. So having known that Awo gave £20 to Ndigbo who had money in the bank regardless of how much they had in those custodies.
The prof has said the truth which all Nigerians already are aware of it.
Awo is just expoposed to the world. As the world will now search to know about him, they will also know that Awo was a candidate for war crimes at the Hague but escaped the hangman.
The truth is always bitterbut it must be told.

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Desola(f): 7:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:
What the Prof has done was to publish his personal account during the war. The prof will not be interested in writing a book of 10,000 pages and has just chosen to write about his personal encounters during the impasse. The prof was not in the middle belt during the war so he can not manufacture stories that did not personally involve him.
Has the prof lied?. No. As you said, the stories about the war is what you already know. So having known that Awo gave £20 to Ndigbo who had money in the bank regardless of how much they had in those custodies.
Awo is just expoposed to the world. As the world will now search to know about him, they will also know that Awo was a candidate for war crimes at the Hague but escaped the hangman.

were asaba. Ngodigha, you don change mask?
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

When your clueless fathers were planning the war, were they planning to lose so they would come back for their savings? Efulefu
If you have prove that something belongs to you, you get it back. Simple as abc, it's not hard to get.

The leader of the rebellion Ojukwu got his savings back. His wives and children are fighting over his house in Ikoyi, Lagos as I type. So in addition to twenty pounds, some of you got your belongings back. What even happen to those who had nothing but nevertheless given twenty pounds? Ojukwu came back and collected pensions from the same military he fought against. He dined with the same generals shooting his people during the war. He even endorsed one of them for presidency in his later lonely years.

Shameless liars!
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by AndreUweh(m): 7:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
Prof Corruption:

When your clueless fathers were planning the war, were they planning to lose so they would come back for their savings? Efulefu
If you have prove that something belongs to you, you get it back. Simple as abc, it's not hard to get.

The leader of the rebellion Ojukwu got his savings back. His wives and children are fighting over his house in Ikoyi, Lagos as I type. So in addition to twenty pounds, some of you got your belongings back. What even happen to those who had nothing but nevertheless given twenty pounds? Ojukwu came back and collected pensions from the same military he fought against. He dined with the same generals shooting his people during the war. He even endorsed one of them for presidency in his later lonely years.

Shameless liars!
Why do you enjoy derailing threads?. Everything you have chatted above is very irrelevant to the topic. Read before commenting, Alakowe.
Read before commenting Alakowe, you have once again gone off topic.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Desola(f): 8:00pm On Oct 07, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Shameless liars!

serious sense!
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by 9jaIhail(m): 9:37pm On Oct 07, 2012
Desola:

serious sense!

Continue following the prof of curpt back to back in all thread, i guess ashawo have finally fall in love in Nairaland Gosh

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by ikeyman00(m): 9:45pm On Oct 07, 2012
@@@

this thread could only replicate ur profuse hate as against the great ingenuious igbos

u can try all the diplomatic ways u pretend to be it will never cover up the truth

set urself free by letting the light shine

the balance of things is on u

shymex u dig?

pretender
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by PHIPEX(m): 10:09pm On Oct 07, 2012

So funny to know that you so much believe your father's unpublished memoir but blame the Igbos for believing Achebe's published memoir, what else is double standard? Your father's story is a first HAND fact but Achebe's own is a fairy tale abi

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 07, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@
this thread could only replicate ur profuse hate as against the great ingenuious igbos

u can try all the diplomatic ways u pretend to be it will never cover up the truth

set urself free by letting the light shine

the balance of things is on u

shymex u dig?

pretender

Bwahahahahahaha

Why do you think I hate Igbos?? lol

I'm playing FIFA 13 right about now with my childhood friend(and he's Igbo)... I just showed him your comment, and he laughed it off - blaming me for getting involved with crazy Nigerians on the internet...

I don't hate Igbos - I'm neutral and I speak the truth...

If I don't hate Jamaicans who have done more harm to me, why would I hate Igbos(the only Nigerian ethnic group that I'm conversant with apart from Edos)?? Igbos have never done anything to me, and I don't hate your people, brother... I'm cool with everyone...

Have fun!!
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 07, 2012
PHIPEX:
So funny to know that you so much believe your father's unpublished memoir but blame the Igbos for believing Achebe's published memoir, what else is double standard? Your father's story is a first HAND fact but Achebe's own is a fairy tale abi

Obviously, I'd take my pops' story over Achebe's story - and I expect you to do the same..
Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by Eziachi: 10:43pm On Oct 07, 2012
shymexx:

Obviously, I'd take my pops' story over Achebe's story - and I expect you to do the same..
Of course you will take your pops, who wouldn't? That is natural. Whether what he told you in reality happens is another matter all together.
Probably your father closest encounter with the war was through what he read in the Lagos daily times or heard on WNBC radio, and some how, he has to impress his little pikin, because as far as I knew, Nigeria regular/trained soldiers fought for Nigeria on land, while the Soviets/Egyptians fought in the air for them.
They never had any need for your civilian father. You better believe it.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Memoir: Where Do The Northerners And Other Tribes Stand? by pazienza(m): 1:08am On Oct 08, 2012
Simple,the north will never deny the role they played in the war. We are only worried about people who have been rewritting history,just to deny the role they played.

Secondly,i fear for that your igbo friend, the ojukwu and aluko story comes to the mind. This is the reason why ndiigbo should never allow igbos born in foreign lands to ever lead the igbo race again.

(1) (Reply)

Aregbeshola for President in 2015 / Is Nigeria's Problem Nigerians Or The Constitution / Abacha's Achievements Praised By Chief Tom Ikimi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.