Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,441 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) (3372 Views)

Voter Apathy Mars Rep Bye-election In Lagos / The Northerners Praise Rotimi Amaechi (Photo) / List Of Northerners And Their Appointments Under Gej's Government! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by impetus: 11:46am On Apr 21, 2015
The general election in Nigeria was an eye-opener to many hidden issues. It can also be used as an effective yardstick for measuring the tempo of unity in Nigeria. Events in Nigeria took a dramatic turn around when the South-West comprising majorly of the Yorubas aligned with the All Progressives Congress despite the heavy amount of money President Goodluck Jonathan pumped into campaign here. A clue of that is the rumoured $250,000 he gave to the traditional rulers, as well as the staggering $100 million dollars given to Dr Doyin Okupe to secure the support of the Labour and Accord party in the South-West for him. A host of others could be mentioned but is not the subject matter of this piece. Despite the publicity of change garnished with acute propaganda by All Progressive Congress, the South-South which is the strong hold of the People’s Democratic Party never bought the idea of change. The Igbos never took a definite stand. The leaders of the Ndigbo communities in all the northern states pledged support to Muhammadu Buhari of APC. Buhari had several memorable campaign shows in Imo which is the abode of one of APC’s strong men Governor Ewele Rochas Okorocha. From the outward appearance, it was as if APC had secured the state. A week to the presidential elections, President Goodluck Jonathan also visited the state and was given a loud ovation by the chiefs and traditional rulers in the state. Pundits reported several contradictory positions of the Igbos concerning both parties until it was finally revealed at the collation centre on the 31st of March 2015. PDP recorded excellent results at the South East with the South South following suit while APC trailed PDP in defeat in those two geopolitical zones in Nigeria. This raised a feeling of betrayal among the Yorubas who felt the Igbos should have been on their side despite not benefiting anything tangible from the administration of Goodluck Jonathan. Buhari swept the South-West with the exception of Ekiti. To buttress my points, here are the official presidential election results from INEC.

State. Buhari. Jonathan

Abia. 13,394. 368,303

Adamawa. 374,701. 251,664

Akwa Ibom. 58,411. 953,304

Anambra. 17.926. 660,762

Bauchi. 931,598. 86,085

Bayelsa. 5,194. 361,209

Benue. 373,961. 303,737

Borno. 473,543. 25,640

Cross River. 28,368. 414,863

Delta. 48,910. 1,211,405

Ebonyi. 19,518. 323,653

Edo. 208,469. 286,869

Ekiti. 120,331. 176,466

Enugu. 14,157. 553,003

Gombe. 361,245. 96,873

Imo. 133,253. 559,185

Jigawa. 885,988. 142,904

Kaduna. 1,127,760. 484,085

Kano. 1,903,999. 215,779

Katsina. 1,345,441. 98,937

Kebbi. 567,883. 100,972

Kogi. 264,851. 149,987

Kwara. 302,146. 132,602

Lagos. 792,460. 632,327

Nassarawa. 236,838. 273,460

Niger. 657,678. 149,222

Ogun. 308,290. 207,950

Ondo. 299,889. 251,368

Osun. 383,603. 249,929

Oyo. 528,620. 303,376

Plateau. 429,140. 549,615

Rivers. 69,238. 1,487,075

Sokoto. 671,926. 152,199

Taraba. 261,326. 310,800

Yobe. 446,265. 25,526

Zamfara. 612,202. 144,833

FCT. 146,399. 157,195

Total. 15,424,921 12,853,162

Source: INEC

From the above results, APC recorded a total loss at all the South Eastern states with questionable margins. APC is widely seen as a Yoruba and Northern people’s party due to the high level of domination of these two ethnic groups and the pivotal roles played by the members of these ethnic groups. The election result margin which signifies political support also reflects the degree of disunity in Nigeria. Only a few Igbos too have bought the slogan of change of the APC.

This is my historical perspective of the looming apathy towards APC. The party comprises majorly of two ethnic groups the Igbos nurse bitterness against. These are the northerners and the Yorubas (South-West). As for the Yorubas, the seed of disunity has long been nursed. There has been a peaceful but bitter competition between the Igbos and the Yorubas. It is difficult to say if Igbo and Yoruba are friends or enemies or merely tolerating each other. On the surface, they seem to be friends, because you rarely hear of any clashes or killings between the two in over 100 years. People from the two ethnic groups work together, live together, laugh together, worship together, and play together. Everything seems all right. Nobody wants to be seen as publicly making any comment seen as tribalistic or intolerant. But if you look deeper, there seems to be something you cannot truly place a finger on. It’slike a volcano waiting for the least provocation to

erupt. It only needs an excerpt from Chinua Achebe’s There Was a Country (a book) to be made public, or the infamous threat speech made by the Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu about the Igbos perishing at the Lagos Lagoon if they failed to vote for the APC’s gubernatorial candidate in Lagos and the Governor- elect Akinwunmi Ambode. This made the solemn disunity so pronounced as both agitating sides poured out the venom that has accumulated for ages.

Historically, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Dr.Nnamdi Azikiwe and Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu consciously and unconsciously sowed the seed of discord between both ethnic groups with the political tussle they engaged in. Chinua Achebe died with a stormy anger against the Yorubas which he developed from the activities of Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo during the civil war. “There Was a Country”, which was the recent work of Chinua Achebe gave an insight about the civil war era, faulting the role played by the Yoruba leader, Chief Obafemi Awolowo which will be addressed with a linkage with the Igbo’s apathy towards the northerners.

In July 1966, Lieutenant Muhammadu Buhari was one of the participants in a coup led by Lt-Col Murtala Muhammed that overthrew and assassinated Nigeria’s first self-appointed military Head of State General Aguiyi Ironsi. This created a long term hatred and distrust between the Igbos and Hausas. This was a retaliatory move after the incidence of the first military coup popularly termed an “Igbo coup” which led to the brutal murder of the Prime Minister Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. The January 1966 coup was carried out by mostly Igbo army officers including Major Kaduna Nzeogwu, Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna among others. The casualties of the coup included the Prime Minister Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the Sardauna of Sokoto, Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Premier of the Western Region Samuel Akintola, the finance minister Festus Okotie-Eboh among others. Analytically, one can safely say it was a coup of the Igbos against the northerners (Hausas and Fulanis) in a bitter quest for political power because people from these two prominent geographical areas dominated the separate coups either as conspirators or victims.

Here is a list of the conspirators:

Maj. Kaduna Nzeogwu (Igbo)

Maj. Timothy Onwuatuegwu (Igbo)

Maj. Emmanuel Ifeajuna (Igbo)

Maj. Chris Anuforo (Igbo)

Maj. Don Okafor (Igbo)

Maj. Adewale Ademoyega (Yoruba)

Maj. Humphrey Chukwuka (Igbo)

Capt. Emmanuel Nwobosi (Igbo)

Capt. Ben Gbulie (Igbo)

Capt. Ogbu Oji (Igbo)

The other point is the Biafran war saga that lasted for 3 years, 6th of July 1967 to 15th of January 1970. General Yakubu “Jack” Dan-Yumma Gowon was the head of state (Head of the Federal Military Government) of Nigeria from 1966 to 1975 during the civil war crisis. He prevented the igbos from secceeding. Till date the Igbos feel they would have strived better being apart. They felt marginalised by the rulership of the northern-dominated administration in Nigeria.

From 1968 onward, the civil war fell into a form of stalemate, with Nigerian forces unable to make significant advances into the remaining areas of Biafran control due to stiff resistance and major defeats in Abagana, Arochukwu, Oguta, Umuahia (Operation OAU), Onne, Ikot Ekpene, etc. Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a yoruba man who was most notable as the outstanding first premier of the Western Region but was also a successful federal commissioner for finance

and vice president of the Federal Executive Council in the civil war suggested to Gowon to cut the food supplies of the Biafran army who were relying on Nigeria for food. During this turbulent period, another Nigerian offensive from April to June 1968 began to close the ring around the Biafrans with further advances on the two northern fronts and the capture of Port Harcourt on 19 May 1968. The blockade of the surrounded Biafrans led to a humanitarian disaster when it emerged that there was widespread civilian hunger and starvation in the besieged Igbo areas. The Biafran government reported that Nigeria was using hunger and genocide to win the war, and sought aid from the outside world. Private groups in the US, led by Senator Ted Kennedy, responded. No one was ever held responsible for these killings. Federal Military Government surrounded Biafra, capturing coastal oil facilities and the city of Port Harcourt. The blockade imposed during the ensuing stalemate led to severe famine accomplished deliberately as a war strategy and described by some as a genocide. Over the two and half years of the war, two million civilians died from forced famine and fighting. Can you see things from my view point now?

A painful memory was created by political actors from the three ethnic groups. This has been passed down from one generation to another. I have an Igbo friend who virtually had nothing against Muhammadu Buhari prior to the elections, but claimed he would rather see President Goodluck Jonathan sell this country rather than accept a northerner as the Nigerian leader. Another case is that of a church member from an Igbo family. The family was quite impoverished, benefitted next to nothing from the Jonathan’s regime but still voted for him. He went for Buhari which was heavily frowned at by his family members. He brought my awareness to this. This prompted me to start this research into history. This is my own perspective of the root of the apathy. In social science which deals with human behaviours, there is no definite answer to problems like we have in the physical sciences.

Whether my claims are valid or too subjective, I want to urge all the ethnic groups to bury the hatchet. There is a need for us to forget the happenings of the past because some of them are clouding our current judgment of issues. This is adversely affecting the future of the country. Tribal differences and interests have prevented us from speaking in one voice. Decisions are no more taken for the general will of the state but to satisfy sectional interests. We cannot change the past but we can affect the future with our actions and build a bright future for generations to come. Nursing bitterness about the past is a bad legacy to leave for the coming generation. This was the samething I told a friend who questioned my support for Buhari. He said I should hate him for making that infamous statement about PDP using corpers to rig elections. This endangered my life because I was serving in Bauchi state in the year 2011. We lost about 15 corpers due to a mere baseless talk. I had to forget the past and give him my support during the presidential election because the general interest of the masses is at stake. The future of the country is paramount in my heart. Unity is all we need for a formidable developmental force. Seccession is the worst option. This will lead to a mutual assured destruction (MAD). All the conflicting parties will break way permanently maimed with a huge set back. Thanks for reading thus far.

Osayimwen Osahon George

Senior Online Editor & Political Scientist

nigeriana.org/134979.html

From the above writ-up, I think we have a long way to go on Nigeria's unity.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by boolet: 12:00pm On Apr 21, 2015
Well done op, the research is on point!
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by kettykings: 12:03pm On Apr 21, 2015
The more reason to support biafra

10 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by Femolacaster(m): 12:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
Good analysis op...................We need to forget the past and move forward!
i know that some brainwashed fools will still come and vent their frustration here!
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by impetus: 12:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
boolet:
Well done op, the research is on point!

Thanks
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by impetus: 12:25pm On Apr 21, 2015
Femolacaster:
Good analysis op...................We need to forget the past and move forward!
i know that some brainwashed fools will still come and vent their frustration here!

You are correct; we really need to move. Its only myopic people that would think otherwise.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by talented143(m): 12:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
Falsified Analysis to suit Ur view........
All this APC journalist eh,

Someone in Sokoto will be discussing Imo politics as if He has ever been 2 the Benue talk more of the east.

WE IGBOS NEVER SUPPORTED THE APCS IN ALL RAMIFICATIONS

Am an IMOlite and IMO state never supported APC as shown clearly in d presidential election.

Rochas d infidel just want 2 rig my state 2 Hausa Fulani party 4 his own personal ambition, thank God its still yet Inconclusive.

Instead of APC 2 win my state, we will burn down Govt house overnight.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by Curlieweed: 12:41pm On Apr 21, 2015
I wish Buhari's baboons and dogs had lynched you back in Bauchi. Your family would have forgotten the past and moved ahead.

Small pikin!

6 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 21, 2015
This insightful thread will soon be turned into another tribal bashing thread..
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by AmucheJane(f): 1:00pm On Apr 21, 2015
Curlieweed:
I wish Buhari's baboons and dogs had lynched you back in Bauchi. Your family would have forgotten the past and moved ahead.

Small pikin!
My dear you just said my mind. Is only the past that brings about the future.

2 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by stinggy(m): 1:50pm On Apr 21, 2015
talented143:
Falsified Analysis to suit Ur view........
All this APC journalist eh,

Someone in Sokoto will be discussing Imo politics as if He has ever been 2 the Benue talk more of the east.

WE IGBOS NEVER SUPPORTED THE APCS IN ALL RAMIFICATIONS[

Am an IMOlite and IMO state never supported APC as shown clearly in d presidential election.

Rochas d infidel just want 2 rig my state 2 Hausa Fulani party 4 his own personal ambition, thank God its still yet Inconclusive.

Instead of APC 2 win my state, we will burn down Govt house overnight.

.... And this is what you are being schooled on in the article. Rochas is now infidel, APC is now Hausa Fulani party Forgetting even Muazu is Fulani.

If Rochas makes a detour back to PDP, he wouldn't be an infidel again shey?
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by pazienza(m): 2:14pm On Apr 21, 2015
Biafra never relied on Nigeria for food. So, I suggest you correct part of that your article that said so.

Biafra depended on donor agencies, outside imports and local production for food. Saying that Biafra relied on Nigeria for food is an act of historical revisionism.

How can a Zoo republic that can't even feed her populace in 2015, feed a progressive Biafra between 1967-70.

6 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by adconline(m): 2:27pm On Apr 21, 2015
What bitterness or apathy? Igbos massively voted for Shagari after the civil war? Ojukwu lost in Anambra state while Shagari won! Igbos supported and voted for MKO. Igbos voted for OBJ and Yar'dua. Igbos didn't vote for GMB when he had Chuba Okadigbo as his running mate, they rejected GMB when he selected Edwin Umezoke as his running mate. Igbo have voted for Hausa/Yoruba men in national election . It's time for them to return the favor or at least STOP calling Igbos tribalists. When is an Hausa man going to vote for a president/vp without bothering if he's a Muslim or northerner?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 21, 2015
pazienza:
Biafra never relied on Nigeria for food. So, I suggest you correct part of that your article that said so.

Biafra depended on donor agencies, outside imports and local production for food. Saying that Biafra relied on Nigeria for food is an act of historical revisionism.

How can a Zoo republic that can't even feed her populace in 2015, feed a progressive Biafra between 1967-70.
Did you go to school?The main bulk of food was provided by the Yorubas then the hausas.It was when oil came that Ojukwu wanted to selfishly annex all the wealth for himself.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by raumdeuter: 3:09pm On Apr 21, 2015
Na dem sabi.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by superstar1(m): 3:21pm On Apr 21, 2015
2 statements are wrong in this write up.

1. The Igbos never took a definite stand.

2. This raised a feeling of betrayal among the Yorubas who felt the Igbos should have been on their side despite not benefiting anything tangible from the administration of Goodluck Jonathan.

The writer should edit those 2 statements with immediate effect. Yorubas did not bothered their heads with Igbos supporting GEJ or not. Likewise Igbos took a definite stand of supporting GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by ndcide(m): 3:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
@op, why don't you also do an objective research on book haram and Nigeria politics. stop the 1960 story. tell us why we had killings after 2011 elections, why police HQ , UN building, nyanya , mandala bombings were going on. the destruction of businesses in Kaduna, and Kano. Bombings at sabongari beheading of southerners in Maiduguri etc. Tell us what you think about the statement of the Oba of Lagos.

You will be so wrong going too far. the things happening today is enough to shape the future.

you are going too far.

2 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by realjoker(m): 4:51pm On Apr 21, 2015
ndcide:
@op, why don't you also do an objective research on book haram and Nigeria politics. stop the 1960 story. tell us why we had killings after 2011 elections, why police HQ , UN building, nyanya , mandala bombings were going on. the destruction of businesses in Kaduna, and Kano. Bombings at sabongari beheading of southerners in Maiduguri etc. Tell us what you think about the statement of the Oba of Lagos.

You will be so wrong going too far. the things happening today is enough to shape the future.

you are going too far.
when will you stop believing all this beer parlor gossip?
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by pazienza(m): 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2015
Vorp:

Did you go to school?The main bulk of food was provided by the Yorubas then the hausas.It was when oil came that Ojukwu wanted to selfishly annex all the wealth for himself.

You are innately silly, stop quoting me.

5 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by ndcide(m): 5:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
realjoker:
when will you stop believing all this beer parlor gossip?

I don't understand you?.. I only made a request. Because, you can tell a story and kill the truth.

Let me give you an example.

*Nigerians all voted for Buhari in 2015 .....True.

*2015 election vote was a strong ethnic contest.....True

Anyone can analyse any of the point and still call it Truth.

we just should be careful.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by jpphilips(m): 6:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
In July 1966, Lieutenant Muhammadu Buhari was one of the participants in a coup led by Lt-Col Murtala Muhammed that overthrew and assassinated Nigeria’s first self-appointed military Head of State General Aguiyi Ironsi. This created a long term hatred and distrust between the Igbos and Hausas.

@OP

I have no evidence of this from my history books and personal testimonies, can you tell us whose account you got this info??

Maj. Kaduna Nzeogwu (Igbo)

Becoming clearer that someone missed history classes, that is what you get when you copy and paste from your fellow block heads!!

From 1968 onward, the civil war fell into a form of stalemate, with Nigerian forces unable to make significant advances into the remaining areas of Biafran control due to stiff resistance and major defeats in Abagana, Arochukwu, Oguta, Umuahia (Operation OAU), Onne, Ikot Ekpene, etc. Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a yoruba man who was most notable as the outstanding first premier of the Western Region but was also a successful federal commissioner for finance

You really believed this nonsense you wrote? Among all the hits you mentioned above, the most resounding in history was the Famous Abagana massacre!!,the death toll from that hit according to Achuzie was between 150 to 200 men, as a matter of fact, that kill (though not much) is celebrated in Igbo land till m0r0ns like you grow sense.

The Uzuakoli near Umuahia hit that left Babangida incapacitated was another hit Igbos are proud of but the death toll is no where near Abagana.
It is only a failed history student like you could assume that the war came to a stalemate because of these few skirmishes, that position insults my intelligence and makes a mockery of your thinking capability. How many battalions did nigeria employ for the battle if i may ask you?

The war came to a stalemate because Awolowo has already pulled out the winning formula, it was just a matter of time before hunger delivered where bullets failed. If Nigeria wanted, they could have over run Biafra whose commander has already absconded, Achuzie one of Ojukwu's strongest men, captured by Obasanjo, so who is there to fight? Your father?

Osayimwen Osahon George

Senior Online Editor & Political Scientist

Senior online editor of which media stream? grin grin grin grin

Disgruntled and pathetic publication like yours can only thrive online where there are no controls, another charge and bail failed social commentator with poor education.

Igbos voted for Jonathan because it is their choice, Obasanjo captured and humiliated their war heroes yet they voted for him.
Igbos have better history with Yorubas and Hausas than Niger deltans where Jonathan came from.

Agreed Gowan held them when they wanted to leave, Awolowo brought starvation upon them and took their money, do you have any idea what the Niger delta did starting with Isaac Adaka boro?

Have you read how Boro captured Portharcourt and how ruthless his campaign was? this is a son of Niger delta who refused to fight with Ojukwu and opted to fight on the Nigerian side, Boro is not to be blamed, he did his duty as a soldier, but behind the scene, the Niger deltans were not happy that they were included in the map of Biafra because they did not know the value of their oil at the time.

Go and read Ojukwu's advice to Ken Saro wiwa to get an idea the role Niger deltans played during the war.

The only region that ensured that Igbos never had a place to sleep after the war and you dare say the SS/SE alliance? if history is any cardinal focus of reference, no sane Igbo man will vote for jonathan but they did it anyways!!

Stop trying to predict the Igbos, they live in a world of their own, they don't take Govt programmes too seriously, a very microscopic few feed from the government while the majority do their thing, Obasanjo was favored, jonathan was lucky to be favored, who knows!! one day fashola will be favored, let the Igbos rest and face your work.

2 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by jpphilips(m): 6:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
pazienza:

Ojukwu lost his supply route to Adekule led "Operation tiger claw", that was when we thought ojukwu would have surrendered but he never did!!
Donor agencies intervened when Kwashiokor struck.

2 Likes

Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by pazienza(m): 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2015
jpphilips:

Ojukwu lost his supply route to Adekule led "Operation tiger claw", that was when we thought ojukwu would have surrendered but he never did!!
Donor agencies intervened when Kwashiokor struck.

So? How does that translate to Biafra depending on Nigeria to feed her?
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by IGBOSON1: 7:07pm On Apr 21, 2015
Curlieweed:

Small pikin!

^^^Hehehehehe grin grin grin
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by realjoker(m): 8:05pm On Apr 21, 2015
ndcide:

I don't understand you?.. I only made a request. Because, you can tell a story and kill the truth.

Let me give you an example.

*Nigerians all voted for Buhari in 2015 .....True.

*2015 election vote was a strong ethnic contest.....True

Anyone can analyse any of the point and still call it Truth.

we just should be careful.
YES you are right. Nigeria as never been divided as it was at the last election?. Yes.
The question should now be. who divided us? And the answer should be jonathan and his pdp cohort.
They are the one who played tribal and religious politics and am sure if you followed the dramas as they unfolds during the campaign period, do to their unguided utterance, can you imagine a president of a nation saying a section of the countary is his backbone and his vice accuseing their competitor of selecting a pastor as his running mate. Let call a spade a spade. I am a yoruba and i dont care what others might label me as long as my conscience is clear, and i dont like people calling each others name, and i dont know why you people called anybody names because they are members of a particular party that you dont like. And I hate my language being called names because they make the perfect political decision at a time when all institutions of the government are underperforming. And you guys failed to understand one thing 2011 election was anti north while 2015 election was to rescue nigeria from the thieves.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by royalcatier: 8:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
Yoruba have voted the closest president ibos have Jonathan, and Zik was given a helping hand too.

adconline:
What bitterness or apathy? Igbos massively voted for Shagari after the civil war? Ojukwu lost in Anambra state while Shagari won! Igbos supported and voted for MKO. Igbos voted for OBJ and Yar'dua. Igbos didn't vote for GMB when he had Chuba Okadigbo as his running mate, they rejected GMB when he selected Edwin Umezoke as his running mate. Igbo have voted for Hausa/Yoruba men in national election . It's time for them to return the favor or at least STOP calling Igbos tribalists. When is an Hausa man going to vote for a president/vp without bothering if he's a Muslim or northerner?
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by Antivirus92(m): 9:05pm On Apr 21, 2015
what a faulty write-up!!!one sided
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by ndcide(m): 9:13pm On Apr 21, 2015
realjoker:
YES you are right. Nigeria as never been divided as it was at the last election?. Yes.
The question should now be. who divided us? And the answer should be jonathan and his pdp cohort.
They are the one who played tribal and religious politics and am sure if you followed the dramas as they unfolds during the campaign period, do to their unguided utterance, can you imagine a president of a nation saying a section of the countary is his backbone and his vice accuseing their competitor of selecting a pastor as his running mate. Let call a spade a spade. I am a yoruba and i dont care what others might label me as long as my conscience is clear, and i dont like people calling each others name, and i dont know why you people called anybody names because they are members of a particular party that you dont like. And I hate my language being called names because they make the perfect political decision at a time when all institutions of the government are underperforming. And you guys failed to understand one thing 2011 election was anti north while 2015 election was to rescue nigeria from the thieves.

You have some good point but look at it this way.
- Jonathan never divided this country rather those who want his sit divided the country right from 2011.
those who didn't want him to run for president, Those who said they'll make the country ungovernable, those who went on a killing spree after the election results were announced, those who engaged in bombings of polich HQ, UN building to destroy the government, those who attacked churches every Sunday with bombs, those in government who used the instruments and cover of government to support bokoharam (senator ndume), those who kill people everyday, bombed everywhere whenever the President wants to go for a function, those made kabiru sokoto to disappear from police custody after being arrested for mandala church bombing and later found in Bornu state government house, those who told us that an attach against book haram is war against the north, those who said proscription of Bokoharam as a territories organization is wrong, whose who made our army unpatriotic and made them not to fight up north , that lots of southern soldiers were drafted up north to fight bokoharam, those who did not support their president in trying times but used the media against him, calling him clueless, kindergarten President, those who kidnapped chobok girls simply to undermine the President, those who kept quiet when only Churches were being attacked but shouted when there were no more churches to attack and they became attacked, those who brew falsehood and propaganda so as to bring down the President, those who issues press releases telling us that power must return to the north, or any northerner who voted for Jonathan was against the north and shall be attacked.... etc. etc. etc. These are the ones who divided the country. Others mainly reacted to them. What you see during the campaign was reactionary.

On the Igbo being the backbone of his administration. That may not be too right. But I'm from the SS. but trust me the Igbo really supported Jonathan. When others insulted him everyday in the media and refused to see his travails, the Igbo stood by him. Check any Igbo that was close to Jonathan and you'll agree that they were his backbone. It is normal to love those who love you also. You will do the same.... I think he was right even though, it was offensive to some people.

Jonathan have done his bit, arguably as a war time President who with his weakness was also greatly misunderstood. Let the next man do his bit too. But we should not kill the truth.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by koma1(m): 9:47pm On Apr 21, 2015
Northernance voted massively for OBJ in 1999 & 2003
adconline:
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by realjoker(m): 10:47pm On Apr 21, 2015
ndcide:

- Jonathan never divided this country rather those who want his sit divided the country right from 2011.
those who didn't want him to run for president, Those who said they'll make the country ungovernable, those who went on a killing spree after the election results were announced, those who engaged in bombings of polich HQ, UN building to destroy the government, those who attacked churches every Sunday with bombs, those in government who used the instruments and cover of government to support bokoharam (senator ndume), those who kill people everyday, bombed everywhere whenever the President wants to go for a function, those made kabiru sokoto to disappear from police custody after being arrested for mandala church bombing and later found in Bornu state government house, those who told us that an attach against book haram is war against the north, those who said proscription of Bokoharam as a territories organization is wrong, whose who made our army unpatriotic and made them not to fight up north , that lots of southern soldiers were drafted up north to fight bokoharam, those who did not support their president in trying times but used the media against him, calling him clueless, kindergarten President, those who kidnapped chobok girls simply to undermine the President, those who kept quiet when only Churches were being attacked but shouted when there were no more churches to attack and they became attacked, those who brew falsehood and propaganda so as to bring down the President, those who issues press releases telling us that power must return to the north, or any northerner who voted for Jonathan was against the north and shall be attacked.... etc. etc. etc. These are the ones who divided the country. Others mainly reacted to them. What you see during the campaign was reactionary.

On the Igbo being the backbone of his administration. That may not be too right. But I'm from the SS. but trust me the Igbo really supported Jonathan. When others insulted him everyday in the media and refused to see his travails, the Igbo stood by him. Check any Igbo that was close to Jonathan and you'll agree that they were his backbone. It is normal to love those who love you also. You will do the same.... I think he was right even though, it was offensive to some people.

Jonathan have done his bit, arguably as a war time President who with his weakness was also greatly misunderstood. Let the next man do his bit too. But we should not kill the truth.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by realjoker(m): 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2015
ndcide:

bro ill reply u later with some facts and link am not covenient now.
Re: Apathy Of The Igbos Towards The Northerners And Yorubas (A HISTORICAL VIEW) by jpphilips(m): 11:18pm On Apr 21, 2015
pazienza:

So? How does that translate to Biafra depending on Nigeria to feed her?

go and read

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deji Of Akure: Eze Ndi Igbo Is Protected By The Constitution Of Nigeria / Fg March 2016 Salary / When A Senator Visits His Constituency, With 38 Million Naira Jeep.(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.