Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

KITE Flying by Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / KITE Flying by Kids (2716 Views)

Hilariously Inappropriate Spelling Mistakes By Kids (pics). / This Has To Be The Cutest Naija Dance By Kids...just Loooove It / How Do You Decide Who To Marry? (written By Kids) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

KITE Flying by Kids by flexya: 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2012
When was the last time someone flew a kite or better still, made one of those "home made" kites wit gari/eba, thread, and broom. Or even the nylon type. Just had 2 teach my kids how 2 make and fly these things. Last made one 30yrs ago. Boys, its fun.

Just zoom or squint 2 see my (son's) beloved kite

Re: KITE Flying by Kids by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 07, 2012
If you go to Brazil, this is the main toy that most children in the favelas play with....... Even adults fly them. Amazing sight!
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by flexya: 1:54pm On Oct 08, 2012
I wonder how it died in Nigeria. I remeber in the 80s, all NEPA wire were cluttered wit kites. We used 2 run home 2 make one. Every street was a football pitch for monkey post. All round objects were soccer balls, all tarred surfaces were marked wit squares for that game I can't recall its name; we alsoi played "island balls". Girls played tenten; Skippin rope was a "must av".

This was in Nija o!

What happened? My kids barely ride bicycles, only play soCcer on nintendo wii, interactions wit other kids is done primarily on bb and tablets (outside school). 2 them, monkey post and tenten r strange names.
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 09, 2012
Times have changed and it isn't as safe as back in the days to let your kid run around the neighborhood unsupervised. Before, your kids could disappear for many hours and parents wouldn't mind, today if they are gone for 30mins then parents start panicking.

1 Like

Re: KITE Flying by Kids by EfemenaXY: 7:04pm On Oct 09, 2012
flexya: I wonder how it died in Nigeria. I remeber in the 80s, all NEPA wire were cluttered wit kites. We used 2 run home 2 make one. Every street was a football pitch for monkey post. All round objects were soccer balls, all tarred surfaces were marked wit squares for that game I can't recall its name; we alsoi played "island balls". Girls played tenten; Skippin rope was a "must av".

This was in Nija o!

What happened? My kids barely ride bicycles, only play soCcer on nintendo wii, interactions wit other kids is done primarily on bb and tablets (outside school). 2 them, monkey post and tenten r strange names.

Ahh!! The good old days! You're bringing back memories.

But tell me, how were you able to get your kite to flie that high up? Mine never got half as far as that! embarassed

@BJ, what you say is so true. Times have indeed changed.
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by flexya: 8:34pm On Oct 09, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Ahh!! The good old days! You're bringing back memories.

But tell me, how were you able to get your kite to flie that high up? Mine never got half as far as that! embarassed
grin wink
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by ifyalways(f): 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
I still make and fly kites with my husband and boys.
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by AlmondDeJoy: 6:57pm On Jan 28, 2013
Only a 'kpako-ro-ro' could do such a thing successfully. . . ours were always too heavy to fly. . .too much 'eba' used to gum the damn thing! THEY NEVER TOOK OFF THE GROUND! grin

Mu che che che che che che

Gosh! I envied those street 'urchins' then for real.
But not now sha. . . they are still flying kites back in Nigeria! cheesy

1 Like

Re: KITE Flying by Kids by EfemenaXY: 7:12pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^ Lol!

I think the "trick" there was to smear the eba lighty on the newspapers, and to use the thin end of the broomsticks (I think!)

grin grin grin

ifyalways: I still make and fly kites with my husband and boys.

You know what?

Maybe I should try that out this weekend with my boys too!

But gosh, it's going to be the case of a blind man trying to lead other blind people across the road!

P.S: If you've got any helpful hints, kindly share them o! cheesy
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by SisiKill1: 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2013
Lmao @ Too Much Eba!! cheesy cheesy

I still fly them in the summer...with my nephews (thank God for 'em ready made kites)

1 Like

Re: KITE Flying by Kids by dayokanu(m): 7:51pm On Jan 28, 2013
Almond De Joy: Only a 'kpako-ro-ro' could do such a thing successfully. . . ours were always too heavy to fly. . .too much 'eba' used to gum the damn thing! THEY NEVER TOOK OFF THE GROUND! grin

Mu che che che che che che

Gosh! I envied those street 'urchins' then for real.
But not now sha. . . they are still flying kites back in Nigeria! cheesy

H-advantage of being kpako-roro. Flying kite with only dirty torn paheints on is the best feeling in the world. Blazay we should try it this coming weekend
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by EfemenaXY: 8:12pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^ Lol! cheesy
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by dominique(f): 10:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
I remember the tacky kite my mum made for us back then tongue. Never got it to fly embarassed. We would watch the boys that flew theirs into the clouds with such envy and sometimes beg to let us fly their kites... Oh the memories!!! ~sighs~
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 29, 2013
Omg, ours never ever flew. grin We didn't even make them well. Then our parents won't let us out of the house. So we hijacked people's kites that fell in our backyard. That was our template to make ours. But we were never able to make them fly. sad Come and see us running around the backyard just for the kite to catch some air, lol.
Re: KITE Flying by Kids by flexya: 1:32pm On Jan 29, 2013
Envious?

Re: KITE Flying by Kids by AlmondDeJoy: 1:40pm On Jan 29, 2013
Did I not tell you only KPA-KO-RO-ROS are gifted in such 'para-ventures'?
See the 'BONAVENTURE' flying the kite? grin
Prolly grew up only to fly a 'keke-na-pepe'!
Got married in one too! grin
Mu he he he he he

[img]http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4906219306746211&pid=1.9[/img]

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Babies Fall Sick When They Start Teething / Two Woman, One Child , One Pregnant What Should I Do ? / I don't want to be a Single Mother!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.