Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,462 members, 7,843,410 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Should We All Buy Guns? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Should We All Buy Guns? (899 Views)

Road Safety Officer Carrying Guns? (see Photo) / Policeman Gave Us Guns - Gang Of 5 Confesses / I Make, Sell Guns For N30,000 – Blacksmith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We All Buy Guns? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 08, 2012
every news about naija lately is bad news, from BH to robbery to kidnapping to lynching etc (all fatal), with whats going on, it would be rather foooollish to be caught unawares so is it tym we all buy weapons (e.g guns) so that we can defend or atleast die trying to defend ourselves as the system clearly isnt working
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by k2039: 7:57pm On Oct 08, 2012
[size=13pt]No,we have nigerians who cant control their temper,who will use it for the wrong reasons(spouse killing one another and so on).
[/size]
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 08, 2012
still, if we atleast all have them then i believe my journey, my home and my self will be that bit safer
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by daptop(m): 10:15pm On Oct 08, 2012
DivideUs: still, if we atleast all have them then i believe my journey, my home and my self will be that bit safer
hw prepared du u think u will be wen dey come grin
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2012
daptop: hw prepared du u think u will be wen dey come grin
atleast trying to save ones life is worth fight for. Lol
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by jobaskia(m): 10:41am On Oct 09, 2012
what about other people in those countries that are licensed to use it? I agreed nigerians could have bad temperament but other nationals do have bad temperament too, so we are not in any way different. Once every one is licensed so nobody knows what you have at home . It creates fear on who wants to attack you and it become first shoot , first die and FIFO - First in , first out . It's good joor
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 09, 2012
^^^^^ Abi o my brother
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by CrazyMan(m): 1:03pm On Oct 09, 2012
DivideUs: every news about naija lately is bad news, from BH to robbery to kidnapping to lynching etc (all fatal), with whats going on, it would be rather foooollish to be caught unawares so is it tym we all buy weapons (e.g guns) so that we can defend or atleast die trying to defend ourselves as the system clearly isnt working
Our leaders are incompetent...period!
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by Dede1(m): 1:39pm On Oct 09, 2012
k2039: [size=13pt]No,we have nigerians who cant control their temper,who will use it for the wrong reasons(spouse killing one another and so on).
[/size]

The above post is absolute balderdash. Nigerians are not more temperamental than other citizens of the world where it is legal to bear arms. Before Nigeria\Biafra civil war, Nigerians have rights to bear arms. However this concept changed after the civil war when the cabals at the helm of Nigerian government realized it safe to ride defenseless citizen anyway they wanted without consequences.

The first frontline defenders of eastern region were civilians armed with shotguns and local made pistols. It will not hurt a thing to allude to the fight put up by the Ijebu Ode cocoa farmer’s assoc\Agbakoya who revolted Gowon’s stay in western region while prosecuting a war against eastern region in the name of price control and tax. The aforementioned revolt took Nigeria’s newly formed 8th battalion under Major Ochefu to stop the riot.

It will be nice if Nigerians should be allowed to bear arms legally.
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by Nobody: 12:43am On Oct 10, 2012
^^^^ what he said grin grin grin grin
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by cfours: 1:00am On Oct 10, 2012
jobaskia: what about other people in those countries that are licensed to use it? I agreed nigerians could have bad temperament but other nationals do have bad temperament too, so we are not in any way different. Once every one is licensed so nobody knows what you have at home . It creates fear on who wants to attack you and it become first shoot , first die and FIFO - First in , first out . It's good joor

gun violence is a big problem in those countries you are trying to emulate. especially among the poor, blacks and youth. it is the #1 cause of death. they get in to a fight and the first thing they do is bring out a gun. nothing worth emulating. it's very destructive to society. espeically where there is high poverty and low security. there will always be something to fight or kill for.
and the big factor is supply and demand. law and legality is just a secondary factor. if supply is high, people will get their hands on it whether it's illegal or illegal doesn't matter. sort of like marijuana and other illicit drugs.

Dede1:

It will be nice if Nigerians should be allowed to bear arms legally.

the fact is there's a lack of supply that's keeping guns off the streets (thank God)in naija. not any laws.
so blame supply and demand. if there is a high supply of weapons, many many people will get their hands on it. whether legal or not.
this is naija we're talking about, not so? a country where lawlessness is the order of the day.

so the answer is a big NOOOO!! God forbid we all buy guns!! shocked shocked what kind of question is that sef?

1 Like

Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by Jakumo(m): 5:23am On Oct 10, 2012
It is ALREADY perfectly legal to hold a licensed gun in Nigeria. A permit is required of course, and prospective holders of that permit are only expected to prove that they have good eyesight, no criminal record, and a sound mind.

Gun permit applicants who do not meet the aforementioned criteria still have the option to buy a permit with no questions asked. Thank you Jeeesus.

1 Like

Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by dasparrow: 6:05am On Oct 10, 2012
DivideUs: every news about naija lately is bad news, from BH to robbery to kidnapping to lynching etc (all fatal), with whats going on, it would be rather foooollish to be caught unawares so is it tym we all buy weapons (e.g guns) so that we can defend or atleast die trying to defend ourselves as the system clearly isnt working

That would be a bad idea. Consider all the miserable married folks who will be shooting their spouses dead. Also keep in mind that many if not most Nigerians have anger issues and a flaring temper caused by poverty, frustration, poor mental health, and who knows what else. Nigerians will shoot at the slightest provocation or argument like our policemen are already doing if allowed to own a gun. I don't support the idea at all.
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by dasparrow: 6:08am On Oct 10, 2012
c.fours:

gun violence is a big problem in those countries you are trying to emulate. especially among the poor, blacks and youth. it is the #1 cause of death. they get in to a fight and the first thing they do is bring out a gun. nothing worth emulating. it's very destructive to society. espeically where there is high poverty and low security. there will always be something to fight or kill for.
and the big factor is supply and demand. law and legality is just a secondary factor. if supply is high, people will get their hands on it whether it's illegal or illegal doesn't matter. sort of like marijuana and other illicit drugs.

the fact is there's a lack of supply that's keeping guns off the streets (thank God)in naija. not any laws.
so blame supply and demand. if there is a high supply of weapons, many many people will get their hands on it. whether legal or not.
this is naija we're talking about, not so? a country where lawlessness is the order of the day.

so the answer is a big NOOOO!! God forbid we all buy guns!! shocked shocked what kind of question is that sef?

Well said!
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by WebSurfer(m): 7:33am On Oct 10, 2012
I support this but it should be checked on whom is qualified to. Or else more issues will come to stay, thought I know of my people who have guns licensed to them and I have seen the help it did on some cases, really good
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by slimming: 8:26am On Oct 10, 2012
Gun is good but has never win a war, negociation does. if everybody will start owing gun, Nigeria will become of the riskest place to live on earth.
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by queensmith: 8:44am On Oct 10, 2012
Its not a bad idea- but in the case of the 4 students it wouldnt have done any good. if anything it will have made the matter worse, how will you explain having a gun on you?

maybe it will be better to have less lethal weaponry like tasers, and alarms or those blinding lghts.
Re: Should We All Buy Guns? by SamMilla1(m): 5:02pm On Oct 11, 2012
Jakumo: It is ALREADY perfectly legal to hold a licensed gun in Nigeria. A permit is required of course, and prospective holders of that permit are only expected to prove that they have good eyesight, no criminal record, and a sound mind.

Gun permit applicants who do not meet the aforementioned criteria still have the option to buy a permit with no questions asked. Thank you Jeeesus.

I was enjoying your insight until i saw 'thank you Jesus'.

I am not a Jesus fan but you dont have to exxagerate with his name all the time.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Press Hiding The Names Of The Osun Kidnappers? / Man Eats Daughter’s Flesh, Drinks Her Blood / Photos: Police Arrest 13yr Old Girl Wearing Explosives-packed Vest In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.