Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? (15670 Views)

Are Nigerian Women Truely The Most Unfaithful? Vanguard Article / Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? / Wedding Bells : Latest Nigerian Weddings In 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by zangiff(m): 10:28am On Oct 09, 2012
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 09, 2012
A friend's wedding was thus :
. IV - 250k
. Ladi kwali hall, sheraton abuja - 700k
. Food - 450k just for sheraton
. Music,decor,pyrotenics, e.t.c - 2mil
. Other mis - 4mil

Rough total. 12million naira

D wife said they must bring cake from lagos,n d process his car had an accident.
They used my car too
Rented 25 rooms for the wives family in a medium hotel in abuja
Wife was compainiing d Ecwa church was not fime enough for the reception.
So many things I can't count

At d end of d day, food was not enough in the reception ; like almost 1.5k people, both invited and non-invited. I didn't eat, had to go to the house for the back-up food there.

What am I saying ; My guy wasn't happy about the stories from his wedding.And he told me if he had know he won't have wasted all those cash.

4 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by jigawatts(m): 10:32am On Oct 09, 2012
sadeiyare: A friend's wedding was thus :
. IV - 250k
. Ladi kwali hall, sheraton abuja - 700k
. Food - 450k just for sheraton
. Music,decor,pyrotenics, e.t.c - 2mil
. Other mis - 4mil

Rough total. 12million naira

D wife said they must bring cake from lagos,n d process his car had an accident.
They used my car too
Rented 25 rooms for the wives family in a medium hotel in abuja
Wife was compainiing d Ecwa church was not fime enough for the reception.
So many things I can't count

At d end of d day, food was not enough in the reception ; like almost 1.5k people, both invited and non-invited. I didn't eat, had to go to the house for the back-up food there.

What am I saying ; My guy wasn't not happy about the stories from his wedding.And he told me if he had know he won't have wasted all those cash.

Thats the funny thing, no mata ow much u spend, u wont satisfy all, so why dont u just do the simple thing.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2012
According to what most of my friends told me, and from what I have seen, I'd say it's mostly supports from family, friends and loved ones. Sometimes you have enough cash to cover up for everything buh won't spend up to that cause of the numerous supports.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2012
It's not the money spent, but the planning involved.

Poor planning = Regrets

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Adufaye(m): 10:34am On Oct 09, 2012
achi4u: I wish ur woman will think this way,your problem will be minimum.
if she cnt reason wit me let her use d xist door
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 09, 2012
If you are the type that goes to peoples wedding and spreads enough cash then on your weeding day even if you borrowed money for it after the wedding you will surely recover it. That's how it works in the east but I dunno of other areas as they believe here is if you do spend cash for peoples weeding then on your own day people will spend for you and it has been working for them.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 09, 2012
Phiozy: According to what most of my friends told me, and from what I have seen, I'd say it's mostly supports from family, friends and loved ones. Sometimes you have enough cash to cover up for everything buh won't spend up to that cause of the numerous supports.

Family advise or support will put one in trouble ; they will make you rent a generator of 100k per day for three days, and on the sat.n sundays, an electrician will tell, u can't use it again cos u have to power smaller equipments, and if u try you will end up repairing electronics weeks after people have forgoten about your wedding.

Family is one of the biggest problem of weddings
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by jigawatts(m): 10:46am On Oct 09, 2012
sadeiyare:

Family advise or support will put one in trouble ; they will make you rent a generator of 100k per day for three days, and on the sat.n sundays, an electrician will tell, u can't use it again cos u have to power smaller equipments, and if u try you will end up repairing electronics weeks after people have forgoten about your wedding.

Family is one of the biggest problem of weddings

YES I agree with u, Family is one of the greatest rpoblems, they throw in ideas of extravagance that will make u wanna do more than your capability, they'll tell u that they'll contribute money for you just for extravagance purposes..... smh undecided
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by hassymo5(m): 10:47am On Oct 09, 2012
jigawatts:

YES I agree with u, Family is one of the greatest rpoblems, they throw in ideas of extravagance that will make u wanna do more than your capability, they'll tell u that they'll contribute money for you just for extravagance purposes..... smh undecided

splash what. and for what... pls make it simple.. alot of marriages have gone bad after splashing it,,, thats not what marriage is about!!!!!!!
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 09, 2012
gboss4sure: If you are the type that goes to peoples wedding and spreads enough cash then on your weeding day even if you borrowed money for it after the wedding you will surely recover it. That's how it works in the east but I dunno of other areas as they believe here is if you do spend cash for peoples weeding then on your own day people will spend for you and it has been working for them.

And you end up using all those money to pay debts.both the post-dated cheque and even the dirty bundles of 10naira notes that your eyes told you was up to 500k,but when counted was just N17,560.
Don't set your self up for a dis-appiontment, because this is nigeria

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by whiteeyes: 10:51am On Oct 09, 2012
How else? Loan of course! Mostly anyway.after weddin, no money for even gari
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 09, 2012
extravagant wedding is unnecessary! Marriage is not about looking at each other's face in a crowded hall, It is about looking in the same direction to build a happy family.

5 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by md4real(m): 10:54am On Oct 09, 2012
In the north, most weddings are sponsored by the families especially in the rural setting. Aside, personal savings also count.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by hyelhira: 10:58am On Oct 09, 2012
As for me my wedding was quite simple. I had set a convenient budget for the wedding and my wife was cooperative. I stuck to my budget like my life depended on it. In fact, some people wanted me to rent a bus to go and bring some folks from somewhere - I refused. If you cannot make the sacrifice of love to transport yourself to the venue, don't come.

My wife and I came from similar backgrounds and our parents struck it off like life-long siblings so the cooking and entertainment were done jointly. I am still surprised till today by the seamless arrangements. All the extraneous costs were covered by those who suggested them. If anyone suggested anything that was not in my budget and was not ready to fund it, no way.

At the end of the day, if you spend beyond your means, you and your wife will suffer. No woman, I mean NO WOMAN, wants to here stories or excuses that you can't feed her because you spent chop money on wedding..lailai!

8 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 09, 2012
Advise for people, especially guys that are planing for wedding. Make sure as the money comes you buy a bag of rice ; I mean load your kitchen before going for the wedding! Because honeymoon is equivalent to eating a lot of food.
Repair and replace gadgets that you need in your house ; just make sure your home is comfortable, because except for extra-reasons once your home is comfortable, your marriage has a good foundation to start.

They will always tell you this, not enough, that is not avaliable ; Make sure you supply the basis - wedding apparel, ring, native law list, church items, court fee e.t.c

As far as you guys have fixed a date, the wedding will take place. Don't forget to pray too.

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by jigawatts(m): 11:00am On Oct 09, 2012
hassymo5:

splash what. and for what... pls make it simple.. alot of marriages have gone bad after splashing it,,, thats not what marriage is about!!!!!!!

i dint mention anytyn like splash na
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Freiburger(m): 11:06am On Oct 09, 2012
OP, why not ask me how houses built in Nigeria are being funded?
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by mabelly: 11:08am On Oct 09, 2012
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by tunapawizzy: 11:15am On Oct 09, 2012
see question o....BY BEGGING FOR ALMS
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by candieangel12(f): 11:30am On Oct 09, 2012
Ima chick and I don't rlly want a big flamboyant wedding. What for? Its only 1 day. Wedding planning is a lot of stress, both physically, mentally, n financially, why wud I wana go thru dat? My dream wedding is me n my future hubby running off 2 some small chapel and getting eloped. Just me n him, thats all. I don't need all the other ppl. After eloping we can now do a small ceremony/reception 4 a few of our friends and family. Thats my idea of a romantic wedding...just me n my love smiley

3 Likes

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Networkmaster(m): 11:30am On Oct 09, 2012
THE LADIES IN THE HOUSE ARE SILENT ON THIS MATTER.
THEY ARE ALL GUILTY. YOU WANT TO GET MARRIED,
YET, YOU ARE MAKING LIFE A LIVING HELL FOR YOUR MAN
WITH YOUR HEAVY UP-CLASS MARRIAGE DEMAND, WHY WON'T THE
GUYS DELAY THE MARRIAGE? POSTPONE IT?
AND EVEN FIND A LADY IS THAT IS WILLING TO BE SUPPORTIVE?
MARRIAGE IS A LIFE TIME THING, ITS GOD'S OWN INSTITUTION
BOTH OF YOU HAVE TO GROW IN, THEREFORE, YOU BUT GOT TO BE PREPARED AND
NOT WASTE ALL THE MONEY YOU HAVE TO IMPRESS PEOPLE WHO CARELESS
ABOUT YOU.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by vicade(m): 11:33am On Oct 09, 2012
At the end of the day it all boils down to planning. On the wedding day every youth in the family became an usher/wedding planner.

Using my sisters wedding as a case study.

The grooms family made a contriibution of a cow,paid for the brides wedding gown and made monetary contribution.

My mum as an isale eko woman got complete aso ebi for 30k and sold it for 55k. over 200 people on both d groom and brides side bought. I think there was another grade she bought for 7k and sold for 15k and people also bought that too. The only way I think that worked is cos she has also boought aso ebi for other peoples parties too.

My sister also had all this fine looking pink hats she sold for 4k. Think she sold about 50 of that to her friends and d single ladies who were gonna attend.

It was stated clearly and boldly on the IV that monetary gifts preferred. No one wants a neatly wrapped big cooler.

Both families also had envelopes from friends and family before d wedding and after d wedding the couple got some monetary gifts.

Finally, both groom and brides family and the couple themselves also have to spend their own money but the load wasn't too much and the wedding was super successful. Would have put pictures but that would be off topic.

That's my own case study.

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by obowunmi(m): 11:43am On Oct 09, 2012
LooL @ neatly wrapped coolers.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 09, 2012
goofie:

i think so too. its better to do it according ur pocket.

my friend n her hubby borrowd for their wedding. dey r still paying up 2 yrs after.buying a car is still not in their budget cos dey r still paying 4 their wedding.

she warned me 2 be wise.

for me,i hv alrdy started apologizing to my friends in advance cos i dont see most of them attending.
left to me,I'll just get the stuff done in the registry,with some members of the family and few friends. But it seems my woman wants glam wedding,I see it as a waste of resources.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by WhyAWhy(m): 11:49am On Oct 09, 2012
vicade: At the end of the day it all boils down to planning. On the wedding day every youth in the family became an usher/wedding planner.

Using my sisters wedding as a case study.

The grooms family made a contriibution of a cow,paid for the brides wedding gown and made monetary contribution.

My mum as an isale eko woman got complete aso ebi for 30k and sold it for 55k. over 200 people on both d groom and brides side bought. I think there was another grade she bought for 7k and sold for 15k and people also bought that too. The only way I think that worked is cos she has also boought aso ebi for other peoples parties too.

My sister also had all this fine looking pink hats she sold for 4k. Think she sold about 50 of that to her friends and d single ladies who were gonna attend.

It was stated clearly and boldly on the IV that monetary gifts preferred. No one wants a neatly wrapped big cooler.

Both families also had envelopes from friends and family before d wedding and after d wedding the couple got some monetary gifts.

Finally, both groom and brides family and the couple themselves also have to spend their own money but the load wasn't too much and the wedding was super successful. Would have put pictures but that would be off topic.

That's my own case study.

Feel like hugging this poster right now ([size=4pt]no homo[/size])
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by zannie(f): 11:59am On Oct 09, 2012
Is it even possible to have 50 guests at a Nigerian wedding? Cos dats wat I want. Small and intimate.
I tire for Nigerian wedding. Phew
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by candieangel12(f): 12:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
zannie: Is it even possible to have 50 guests at a Nigerian wedding? Cos dats wat I want. Small and intimate.

Girl tell me about it. Naija weddin stuff dey tire me ooo. Sum naija ladies have forgotten what a wedding is really supposed to be about, all they care about now is spendin n havin d biggest wedding, as if its some kind of competition.
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by debomb: 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
Everything really depends on your budget and how it is to be funded ( especially from family and close friends who help defray cost)

You do not have to be rich to legalize your marriage. Naija are just big believers in show-off and trying to be the best. At the end of the day, you would have to come to terms with debts ( God Forbid!) You and your wife alone!

This is what you do after proposal.

1, Tell Family and Friends of engagement
2, Have an idea of what you can budget for ( Parents would need to know this)
2, Ask Parents what they can do to help and what areas.( Make sure you already have the major things you need in mind..)
3, Ask friends what they can do to help ( singers, pianist, caterers)
4, Organize your bridal party and designate roles.
5, Designate roles to your siblings ( security, usher, dj e,t,c)
6, After all this, carry a thorough budget plan deducting the items already catered for.
7, Always have a 2nd option.

I hope this helps,

Anita

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by 1ndidi2(f): 12:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
zannie: Is it even possible to have 50 guests at a Nigerian wedding? Cos dats wat I want. Small and intimate.

I tire too o! It could be possible, if u eliminate some of ur mother/father's meeting people and some of ur fiancé's office colleagues plus yours! U would have to be very firm with family members on it tho!

I'd also like that compact number of guests!!
Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by zannie(f): 12:20pm On Oct 09, 2012
Candie and Indidi,
True talk! Its mostly parents that make weddings so costly. My parents know so many people, its mind blowing. I've already told my mom dat all I want at my wedding is 50 people both at the trad and white. And she's like its not even possible.
Well, I'm very stubborn and I know in d end, its what I want that I'll do. If they wanna host their friends and well wishers, dey'll have to do a separate party for them.
I love very intimate quiet weddings. No noise at all. You can feel the love btw the couple cos its so tangible at small weddings. At big weddings, its so easy for the couple to even get lost in d whole thing, people struggling for food and so much noise. Yuck!

1 Like

Re: How Are Nigerian Weddings Funded? by shanda(m): 12:22pm On Oct 09, 2012
Well "I cannot come and go and die" just because of wedding ceremony. I pray everything works out btw myself and my girl. I can't have sleepless night with nikkai. I think a lot of guys are just out to please people. I can't do that!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? / Porta Potties: The Bad, Worst And Ugly. / Sad Facts About Modern Family Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.