Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? (15659 Views)

How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? / How To Handle A Child's Tantrum In Public? / How Do You Deal With A Husband That Keeps Malice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 14, 2013
I saw one at the bank yesterday. The child should be about 2 years old. He refused to be carried by the mum preferring to seat on the floor blocking people's way. If the mum tried to carry him, he started to cry. I felt like spanking him real hard grin. I pitied for the mother shaa, see disturbance grin.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by UyiIredia(m): 10:32am On Sep 14, 2013
Baybe: I saw one at the bank yesterday. The child should be about 2 years old. He refused to be carried by the mum preferring to seat on the floor blocking people's way. If the mum tried to carry him, he started to cry. I felt like spanking him real hard grin. I pitied for the mother shaa, see disturbance grin.

Na spanking is too harsh. Moreso given his age. You sef know that babies can be more bothersome than that. Here's a bit of me. At about the age of the child mentioned in the OP I had a phobia for lifts. The reason as I can articulate now was simple: when a lift starts to ascend your heart does a little fillip and this scared me and my response was to cry because I disliked the sensation. My Dad in particular suffered carrying me on lifts at that age. On one occassion I cried as loud as I could but my Dad didn't spank me. In any case I outgrew it later on. The lesson here is that there'll be some things little kids do that are embarassing but inasmuch as it is within reason, especially of the timidity we know of kids. We should give them time and encourage them to outgrow it. Beating isn't needed.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by aniffy4eva(m): 10:49am On Sep 14, 2013
I give him "the look" and say his name sternly (and only once).

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by angelTI(f): 12:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
^^Wassup with the picture na? na u be that abi the 'look' u give?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by EfemenaXY: 12:17pm On Sep 14, 2013
Baybe: I saw one at the bank yesterday. The child should be about 2 years old. He refused to be carried by the mum preferring to seat on the floor blocking people's way. If the mum tried to carry him, he started to cry. I felt like spanking him real hard grin. I pitied for the mother shaa, see disturbance grin.

And yet another poster asking how to 'deal' with someone - this time, a child undecided

@OP, you do not 'deal' with toddlers! That child is still a baby and is simply going through a phase of asserting himself. It's called the 'terrible two's'. Google it up. He'll grow out of it. What the mother ought to have done was to provide the child with a distraction. Focusing on his naughtiness is simply playing into his hands of attention seeking, albeit negative attention.

It is well with our kids.

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

And yet another poster asking how to 'deal' with someone - this time, a child undecided

@OP, you do not 'deal' with toddlers! That child is still a baby and is simply going through a phase of asserting himself. It's called the 'terrible two's'. Google it up. He'll grow out of it. What the mother ought to have done was to provide the child with a distraction. Focusing on his naughtiness is simply playing into his hands of attention seeking, albeit negative attention.

It is well with our kids.

I didn't mean the 'deal' in terms of punishment or something. I just meant how do you deal with the disturbance. Children can be pretty annoying.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by EfemenaXY: 12:45pm On Sep 14, 2013
Baybe: I didn't mean the 'deal' in terms of punishment or something. I just meant how do you deal with the disturbance. Children can be pretty annoying.

You deal with the 'disturbance' by distracting them.

Give them something that captures their attention and engrosses them. That'll help take their minds off creating a 'disturbance'. Play with them. Talk with them (not at them). Give them toys - for a two year old, a mobile car, something with colours, etc. Lift the child in your arms and swing him around. Throw him up in the air playfully and catch him (don't let him fall!)

Jeez, the list is endless. You were once a child! How hard is it to look after a two year old?

And for the record, I disagree with you. I do not find children annoying. I try to understand them and get in tune with their needs. I understand when a child is bored, grumpy, sleepy, tired, hungry or even not well. Children cry for a reason, you know. Not just for the fun of it.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by mysticgal(f): 1:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
the baby needed something,if such case happens i try to help
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by tpia5: 1:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
Baybe: I didn't mean the 'deal' in terms of punishment or something. I just meant how do you deal with the disturbance. Children can be pretty annoying.

If you spank someone's baby, the parents should beat the crap out of you.

You should wait till you have your own child then spank it as much as you want.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 14, 2013
Terrible twos angry tell me bout it.

I simply bundle that kid back into the car straight up ( end of fun).... esp when other kids are there.

You touch my kid , consider those fingers numb and lifeless for the rest of that day. smiley

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by EfemenaXY: 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2013
jidegirl12: Terrible twos angry tell me bout it.

I simply bundle that kid back into the car straight up ( end of fun).... esp when other kids are there.

You touch my kid , consider those fingers numb and lifeless for the rest of that day. smiley

Lol!

My dear, the 'terrible two's syndrome' even starts before they hit age 2!

Bottom line here is understanding your child. Be firm with them but loving and understand what they want and need.

(sigh) I just lurrrrrrve kids! kiss kiss kiss
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by UyiIredia(m): 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
^^^I would so like to see videos of you at two.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
jidegirl12: Terrible twos angry tell me bout it.

gringringrin
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Lol!

Bottom line here is understanding your child. Be firm with them but loving and understand what they want and need.

Awwwwwww...How many do you have?
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by EfemenaXY: 2:10pm On Sep 14, 2013
Baybe: Awwwwwww...How many do you have?

Many.

The s.ex is so good, I never learn my lesson embarassed cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 14, 2013
tpia@:

If you spank someone's baby, the parents should beat the crap out of you.

You should wait till you have your own child then spank it as much as you want.
Not necessary undecidedundecided. The last thing I'd do is spank someone's kid. I enjoy kids from 4 years and above.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Lol!

Its not everybody that has the patience and grace to handle kids even mothers.

U r right, distraction works for me and when less busy playing and dancing.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Many.

gringrin. Your kids are lucky having a mum that looovvees kids.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Many.

Spoilt from d cradle!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by tpia5: 2:28pm On Sep 14, 2013
Baybe: Not necessary undecidedundecided. The last thing I'd do is spank someone's kid. I enjoy kids from 4 years and above.

If you so much as look at someone's kid with evil eyes, the parents should beat the crap out of you.

Who do you think you are?
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
tpia@:

If you so much as look at someone's kid with evil eyes, the parents should beat the crap out of you.

Who do you think you are?]
Hian! Pls I'm not fighting with you. SMH

12 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by damiso(f): 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Lol!

Tell me about it*sighs*.My 18 month old is already throwing strops cos he wants to brush his teeth and feed himself swallows and I wont let him.But who wants to be scraping dried okra for days embarassed.

That said lil kids try anyone's patience and distraction is the best remedy.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 14, 2013
Okpari grin

Efemena_xy:

Many.

My eyes ! my eyes! cheesy
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 14, 2013
damiso:

Tell me about it*sighs*.My 18 month old is already throwing strops cos he wants to brush his teeth and feed himself swallows and I wont let him.But who wants to be scraping dried okra for days embarassed.

Lol! 18 months you say. gringrin. Which teeth does he want to brush..lol

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 14, 2013
damiso:

Oh Dami, @swallow, let him use fork /spoon to scoop the dollops and get him a special wearable bib .... I'm happy for you. cheesy
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by EfemenaXY: 2:48pm On Sep 14, 2013
yellowpawpaw:

Its not everybody that has the patience and grace to handle kids even mothers.

U r right, distraction works for me and when less busy playing and dancing.

Yeah.

And if you run out of ideas, just throw the child on your back and carry on. I'm yet to find a two year old who doesn't love being backed. Thing is, I won't do that outside my home sha. smiley

Uyi Iredia: ^^^I would so like to see videos of you at two.

Lol! I was naughty. Been told enough tales about my 'escapades' to last me a life time. Oh well, na first born tinz... cheesy

yellowpawpaw:
Spoilt from d cradle!

Guilty as charged, ma'am grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by EfemenaXY: 2:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
damiso:

Ah! My daughter is slightly older than your son then, Dami smiley

jidegirl12: Okpari grin

My eyes ! my eyes! cheesy

haha! Jide, you wan make I lie?

It's the gospel truth na! cheesy cheesy

Baybe: Lol! 18 months you say. gringrin. Which teeth does he want to brush..lol

They do - about 10 or 12.

It's advisable to start brushing the minute they cut the first tooth - so this can be as early as 6 months...
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

They do - about 10 or 12.

It's advisable to start brushing the minute they cut the first tooth - so this can be as early as 6 months...
Okiedokie smiley
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Kanwulia: 3:07pm On Sep 14, 2013
Apologize for his/her behavior explaining that "it is just a child", and IGNORE THE BRAT! Most parents who have been there would sympathize with you. Even those who have never been parents would pity ya azzze after rendering the much-needed apology on the ijjiot's behalf! kiss

Let it make an AZZZE OF ITSELF. . . TILL HE OR SHE PASSES OUT. . .while you watch from a distance with others. Children also have temporary periods of INSANITY. . . depending on their SUGAR LEVELS! cheesy

STAY CALM. . . DON'T FEED INTO HIS OR HER MADNESS. . . they are trying to PUSH YOU!!! NEVER SNATCH THE CHILD KICKING AND SCREAMING IN FRONT OF SPECTATORS!!! kiss

Old trick! kiss

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 14, 2013
Kanwulia: Apologize for his/her behavior explaining that "it is just a child", and IGNORE THE BRAT! Most parents who have been there would sympathize with you. Even those who have never been parents would pity ya azzze after rendering the much-needed apology on the ijjiot's behalf! kiss

Let it make an AZZZE OF ITSELF. . . TILL HE OR SHE PASSES OUT. . .while you watch from a distance with others. Children also have temporary periods of INSANITY. . . depending on their SUGAR LEVELS! cheesy

STAY CALM. . . DON'T FEED INTO HIS OR HER MADNESS. . . they are trying to PUSH YOU!!! NEVER SNATCH THE CHILD KICKING AND SCREAMING IN FRONT OF SPECTATORS!!! kiss

Old trick! kiss
Makes sense cool cool
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by YoshiMaster: 6:09pm On Sep 14, 2013

Was this in Nigeria or abroad?
Re: How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? by azyaq(m): 6:10pm On Sep 14, 2013
Kanwulia: Apologize for his/her behavior explaining that "it is just a child", and IGNORE THE BRAT! Most parents who have been there would sympathize with you. Even those who have never been parents would pity ya azzze after rendering the much-needed apology on the ijjiot's behalf! kiss

Old trick! kiss
good talk gbaaaam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Getting Married To A Divorcee...what Are The Odds? / Sad Facts About Modern Family Life / Maternity Leave During Nysc..advice Needed Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.