Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism (7849 Views)

NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele / Disagreement Over Presidential Slot Rocks APC / SW Leaders Led By Tinubu Do Not Want Regionalism, Shamelessly Prefer Status Quo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by PointB: 11:53am On Oct 09, 2012
Northern Christians demand 2015 presidential slot
Tuesday, 09 October 2012 00:00 From Saxone Akhaine, Kaduna News - National
E-mail Print
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest
ayo_

• Allege marginalisation

• Reject govs peace forum

• Want return to regionalism

A MAJOR political hurdle the northern leaders will have to overcome in their bid for the presidency in 2015 is whether to present a Muslim or Christian as presidential candidate. This new subject matter is coming to the burner as the Northern States Christian Elders Forum (NORSEF) claims it is the turn of a Christian from the North to govern the nation.

According to the Arewa Christian leaders, in a statement issued after an emergency meeting in Kaduna, the core northern Moslems have had enough share of the presidential slot in governing Nigeria since independence in 1960.

The NORSEF Chairman, Evangelist Mathew Owojaiye and Secretary, Mr. Iliya Yusuf, said Christians from the region would vehemently resist a situation where Muslim politicians would come out for the 2015 presidential contest.

Owojaiye argued that “we the Christians boldly affirm that the next person to be president of this country from the north must be a Christian”, alleging that they have long been marginalised by the Arewa leaders in the political equation concerning the region.

The Christian elders listed former Nigerian leaders, according to them, to show how the Arewa leaders have, in the past, marginalised Northern Christians. “The north has produced Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Gen. Murtala Muhammed, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, Gen. Sani Abacha, Gen. Abubakar Abdulsalam and Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.

“You can see that out of these nine persons, the Northern Christians have only Gen. Yakubu Gowon. If we are to consider elective presidents, we have Balewa, Shagari and Yar’Adua. The Northern Muslims have produced three elective presidents while the Christians from the North have produced none. Justice, equity and fairness demand that the next president of Nigeria from the North must be a Christian; nothing less than that should happen”.

Besides, the NORSEF leaders condemned the alleged marginalisation of the Christians in the North, which has continued unabated, recalling that recently, “the Federal Government gave N5 billion to the Muslim almagiri school system and gave nothing to the Christians”.

Owojaiye said “such unjust, unfair and discriminatory action is totally unacceptable to the northern Christians. President Goodluck Jonathan, the Northern Christians are waiting for their N5 billion for 2012. The national lawmakers should see to this urgently.

“Some states governments in the north refuse the teaching of Christian religious studies in their public schools even when voluntary organisations are ready to pay the CRS teachers. The Northern Governors Peace Forum, while commendable, is unacceptable to us because the committee is lopsided, with 30 Muslims and only 11 Christians.”

On the high level of insecurity in the north, the Chairman of NORSEF said the group “condemns in its totality, the savage, wicked and barbaric action of the terrorists roaming the northern part of this country, especially the recent attacks at the Federal Polytechnic, School of Health Technology and the Adamawa State University, all in Mubi, and the State Polytechnic in Yola.”

According to the NORSEF, “the perpetrators of this wicked act and their sponsors must be fished out and tried for treason. Nobody must be seen to be above the law in Nigeria.”

As part of measures to reduce the level of crime in the country, the Christian group said “thousands of university graduates roaming the streets jobless should be employed into the secret service and given adequate security training”, stressing that “this will solve so many problems; it will reduce unemployment, it will reduce crime, it will beef up our security system and make the nation a safer place to dwell in.”

NORSEF said “the Federal Government must understand that Christian leaders are being put in a very difficult position. Why must we keep apologising to our people on behalf of the Federal Government? Why must we keep telling our people to be calm in the face of such provocations, slaughter and terrorist acts? Why is the Federal Government making us cowards, inactive and incapable leaders to protect our people and fight for their interest? Our youths are becoming restless and furious. We urge the Federal Government to show that they are truly in control. This nation is fast becoming a failed state”.

The northern Christian leaders stated that “in two years time, we shall be reviewing the 100 years of the forceful amalgamation of Nigeria. Those who are insisting that Nigeria must remain one have just two years to stop all the killings, looting and the maladministration. There will be no nation called Nigeria if things remain like this.”

The NORSEF leaders also pointed out that for Nigeria to remain as a nation, there is need to restructure the polity.

“We do not want the six geo political zones inserted in the constitution. It should go further than that; six or eight regions should be created. Each region should be semi-autonomous and self-governing. They should pay tax to the Federal Government. The states should be retained. One senator should emerge per state. Each state should produce two members of the House of Representatives.”

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101067:northern-christians-demand-2015-presidential-slot&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 09, 2012
Well...let them be serious with it for once.

As far as am concerned they are better off aligning with the South..
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Afam4eva(m): 11:56am On Oct 09, 2012
They shouldn't forget that the cattles have not ruled. So, after the Northern Christians it should be the turn of the cattles then after that it's the turn of Igbo Christians before Amadioha worhippers. Ogbonis have also not ruled this country before.

6 Likes

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by PointB: 1:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
Another interesting development is:

“We do not want the six geo political zones inserted in the constitution. It should go further than that; six or eight regions should be created. Each region should be semi-autonomous and self-governing. They should pay tax to the Federal Government. The states should be retained. One senator should emerge per state. Each state should produce two members of the House of Representatives.”

Looks like many are gradually leaning toward Regionalism. I hope they cast their votes where their heart is. Only that many cannot be trusted in this sick country to do the right thing. Everyone simply want to leech on oil money.
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Akanbiedu(m): 1:42pm On Oct 09, 2012
Divide and rule works, most of the time.
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by ektbear: 1:58pm On Oct 09, 2012
PointB:
The NORSEF Chairman, Evangelist Mathew Owojaiye
Is he from Kwara or Kogi?

1 Like

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by PointB: 1:59pm On Oct 09, 2012
ekt_bear:
Is he from Kwara or Kogi?

Not sure about the dude. Certainly not from 'core' North by the name. Kwara most likely.
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by PointB: 2:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
Akanbi_edu: Divide and rule works, most of the time.

Bulk vote from South, and pockets from North Central should give Nigeria regionalism. But truth be told, SW is more likely to scuttle this than say North Central. My personal opinion, though. cool

1 Like

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by nduchucks: 2:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
There is nothing wrong with political posturing for the benefit of one's interest group. Those who believe that this posturing is due to some grand design of divide and rule are delusional and out of touch - one Akanbi_edu comes to mind.
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 09, 2012
PointB:

Bulk vote from South, and pockets from North Central should give Nigeria regionalism. But truth be told, SW is more likely to scuttle this than say North Central. My personal opinion, though. cool

You are either mischievous or ignorant....the true champions of the concept is SW..it's just of recent that others regions are seeing the wisdom in it.

4 Likes

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by PointB: 2:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

You are either mischievous or ignorant....the true champions of the concept is SW..it's just of recent that others regions are seeing the wisdom in it.

Guy, how was the SW champion of regionalism?
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:42pm On Oct 09, 2012
Well I don't think this is quite what the core/oligarch north have in mind when they argue for power to return to the north come 2015......now this will surely set the cat amongst the pigeons.
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by ikeyman00(m): 2:49pm On Oct 09, 2012
There is nothing wrong with political posturing for the benefit of one's interest group. Those who believe that this posturing is due to some grand design of divide and rule are delusional and out of touch - one Akanbi_edu comes to mind.

well well well this is the beginning
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by rahman137(m): 3:10pm On Oct 09, 2012
grin grin grin ; David Mark at work grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by mrperfect(m): 3:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
Anybody who can lead Nigeria well is fine.

1 Like

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by onyewec3: 3:14pm On Oct 09, 2012
Which way Nigeria? Which way to go?which way to go? I love my fatherland, which way to go? Sunny okosun asked dis question but no answer till he eventually died
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by EzePromoe: 3:21pm On Oct 09, 2012
2015 no go easy o. Igbo, middle belt, north and others all want the presidency. Hmmm. Hope i will be outta the country by then.
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
Chai. 2015 - The Movie. shocked

I betta think of the nearest country I can relocate to during that period. undecided

How about Nairaland Apply Demand for a slot too? HQ for president? cheesy
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by samkoro: 3:35pm On Oct 09, 2012
Very very interesting.

Quite interesting.

Let them be serious about it.

Supported!!!
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by tomakint: 3:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
Eze Promoe: 2015 no go easy o. Igbo, middle belt, north and others all want the presidency. Hmmm. Hope i will be outta the country by then.

Any tribe can have it (that is if we are still together) provided 'the Muslim North' no grab am sha!
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by EzePromoe: 3:42pm On Oct 09, 2012
I hope this doesn't affect the price of that thing. I mean that thing that use to colour white.

1 Like

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by EzePromoe: 3:44pm On Oct 09, 2012
I hope this doesn't affect the price of that thing. I mean that edible thing that use to colour white. undecided
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by cashcpt(m): 3:58pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

He is ignorant pls ignore him
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by billcosby: 4:04pm On Oct 09, 2012
[quote author=afam4eva]They shouldn't forget that the cattles have not ruled. So, after the Northern Christians it should be the turn of the cattles then after that it's the turn of Igbo Christians before Amadioha worhippers. Ogbonis have also not ruled this country before. Ur not a current nigeria,
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by gbogboti: 4:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
Seconded! What is "North Central"? The North only coined that to rob Nigeria. The funny thing is; the people or tongues who make up that part of the country don't see themselves as Northern affiliate one-bit. Nothing in common do they have with the North. Absolutely nothing. Hence the long fight for the Middle Belt recognition. The likes of David Lot, Aper Aku etc had as early as in the 1920 through 1940s fought for the Middle Belt. I can still re-call vividly the UMBC (United Middle Belt Congress) of old during the Awolowo era of political campaigns. I have toured Nigeria and can tell you guys that they have no cultural link or religious closeness with the North. Its a wrong name for that region; I mean "North-Central". Its a big fraud. Just like South-South been merged to the East as Old Eastern Nigeria when of a truth, all are not Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by billcosby: 4:09pm On Oct 09, 2012
Afam4ever. Let me imform u that christian in the north are not catle rearers, we are not Fulani or Housa ppl. Pls don't prove ur elitracy to the world.
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by pedestal82(m): 4:10pm On Oct 09, 2012
I see David Marks hand in this! He is working hard for the
Presidency! He is North ( the way the core North always say when
Using the middle belt). And a christian.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by aare07(m): 4:16pm On Oct 09, 2012
then, where are the audacity of hope for GEJ..........
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Jarus(m): 4:17pm On Oct 09, 2012
A Hassan Martin Kukah presidency wont be bad.

1 Like

Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Sircuba: 4:18pm On Oct 09, 2012
Even d animals in coat of arm is tired and ready to seperate! Wish yar‘adua is alive!
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by nagoma(m): 4:19pm On Oct 09, 2012
embarassed
Eze Promoe: I hope this doesn't affect the price of that thing. I mean that edible thing that use to colour white. undecided

Sure you don't mean GARRRRR - sory sory sory tongue
Eze Promoe: I hope this doesn't affect the price of that thing. I mean that edible thing that use to colour white. undecided

Sure you don't mean GARRRRR - sory sory sory tongue embarassed!!!
Re: Northern Christians Demand 2015 Presidential Slot, Regionalism by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 09, 2012
fyn ok let the north christian aspire as well since they are also part of the north shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is Prof Achebe's Name On NL Hall Of Shame? / Hon. Abdullateef, Lagos Ex-lawmaker Marries Two Friends As 3rd And 4tl / Much Ado About Election Reordering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.