Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? (3084 Views)

10 Ways Sinners Celebrate Easter- By Tosyne2much / Where And How Best Should One Celebrate Easter? / Why Christians Should Not Celebrate Easter- Femi Aribisala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Zahymaka(m): 9:46pm On Apr 15, 2006
Should we? Read this article and tell me your views.

Easter is recognized in modern Christianity as the day upon which the faithful celebrate Christ’s miraculous resurrection. Yet, in celebrating this event millions will turn to the familiar image of the biogenetic oddity known as the Easter Bunny without so much as asking, “What does an egg-laying rabbit have to do with Christ?” This article suggests perhaps it’s time YOU asked that question. Shocking as it may sound the truth is that Easter goes together with the true Christ just about as well as eggs do with rabbits. <<added by mod>>
http://www.wonderfulworldtomorrow.org/article.html
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by bluenubian(f): 10:13pm On Apr 15, 2006
well i tried to read the article, too long. i 'll still celebrate easter the way i was raised, all that easter egg and rabbit thing, dont know where that started. thats jus another way the mordern world have chosen to commercialize everything
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Badman888(m): 11:08pm On Apr 15, 2006
yes we should, Happy Easter evryone
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by OyiboQueen(f): 2:14am On Apr 16, 2006
What would we gain by not celebrating Easter? What would we lose? These are the questions we must address to solve this dilemma!

What would we lose?
1. We would lose one of the best opportunities that the Church has to address unbelievers, backsliders, and the like! Let's face it, our whole lives should be about celebrating Christ's work on the Cross. So hopefully, Easter is more of the same wonderful relationship for those of us who worship God with our very lives. But Easter celebrations were started as a way to draw people away from pagan celebrations, a substitution, if you will! We have the same golden moment open to us tomorrow AM, as each year at this time. A chance to draw away from the world and all of it's sin and sorrow, those who desperately NEED Jesus! This is the day when we shout to the world, HE IS RISEN, HE IS RISEN, HE IS RISEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come and worship the Soon Coming King! Whose body is not returned to dust, as Buddha and Mohammed and others. But He who lives and reigns, and longs to come into RELATIONSHIP with YOU!!! Any chance we have to get this message out is a golden one.
2. By taking a "religious" position on this question, we stand a very real chance of losing the grace that Jesus died to gain for us! It is not, as some people would have us believe, the same as ackowledging these pagan rites to have a corresponding Christian celebration. After all, substitution is what being a Christian is all about! The death of Jesus, on the Cross, to substitute for our required punishment (justly deserved by ALL) and free us from hell! And in taking on the blood of the Lamb as sin covering, we also gain a freedom that is all to easy to lose by turning back to laws. Thou shalt and shall not this and that, etc, ad nauseum! Paul warned us sternly not to fall into this trap! If we turn back to the law in ANY particular, we have lost all grace.
3. By abdicating the celebration of the Easter holidays, we may very well lose all Christian influence on the calendars of the world! Think about it, Christmas is now so widely adopted by the larger culture that there were widespread attempts to re-name the whole season, WITHOUT CHRIST!!!! "Holiday Trees" were on sale everywhere, but CHRISTmas trees might be offensive, and God forbid we should offend anyone by mentioning Christ! Especially during the season when His birth is celebrated! As you can see, the enemy of God has no compunction about co-opting the previously CHRISTIAN ONLY holiday and rendering is so devoid of any significance that many MUSLIMS in the USA feel quite comfortable in "celebrating" it! One need look no further to see why our forefathers of the faith felt that Christian celebrations would be a plus for the Church! How long now 'til we begin to see "Spring Eggs" on sale, and the "Spring Bunny" visiting a store near you. Give me the EASTER egg and the EASTER bunny any day! But for Heaven's sake, let's use it to open up an evangilistic opportunity! We can't afford to disengage from this ever-darkening world in any particular, we must lose NO opportunity!

What would we gain?
1. Perhaps many Christians would feel easier about what to wear for what is, perhaps, the biggest Sunday on the calendar. That would be a good thing, not to be concerned about attire.
2. Hmmmmm, let's see,, stop celebrating Easter, what would be good about that? Hmmmmmmm
Gee, I'm finished! Can't think of any other relevant objection!

SEE YOU ALL AT CHURCH ON EASTER SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Christ's Love,
Regina
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by loma(m): 6:12am On Apr 16, 2006
Do we always have to do something as christains because thats the way it has always been done, even if its not right?
Do we have to do something so as not to fall out of favor with the world?
I believe, the Messiah, Jesus Christ didnt adopt this attitude when he was among the Jews, and just stick to what was been done because it was the norm. He said ,  Seek ye the truth,
I believe we should be able to question our beliefs!  I am dismayed at the lack of intellectual robustness that we sometimes display.
Read through the article and convince me why i should still celebrate Easter again!
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by camara(f): 9:11am On Apr 16, 2006
u celebrate easter and know why u're celebratin it.if u're celebratin it cuz of the resurected christ then do it and if it's 4 the easter bunny it's a free world.
it's like askin why we celebrate christmas Jesus wasn't born on 25th od dec.
i read a ling while ago that the romans or greeks can't really remember had a god they used to worship on this day.
so if we celebrate christmas what's stoping us 4rm celebratin christmas.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:15am On Apr 16, 2006
yes a christian must
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by barikade: 12:18pm On Apr 16, 2006
Could someone please tell me how to access the "Christianity for Christians" child board? I'm not getting thru. TY kiss

Easter Greetings.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Rhodalyn(f): 12:34pm On Apr 16, 2006
i dnt get wht u do, come again smiley
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Free(f): 4:04pm On Apr 16, 2006
well,
some christians dont celebrate chrismas because they say it pagan
christmas being about the birth of christ, but they celebrate the easter
the death and rise
of christ, which i dont quit understand,
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by pearl2(m): 5:04pm On Apr 16, 2006
Here we go again,splitting hair over something as harmless as an observance of a religious event.
I wouldn't be surprised if the writer of the article or the original poster is a member of the seventh day adventist on 'evangelism,' spreading his confusion to other people.
The whole essence of Christ death was to establish a better covenant than that of the old testament(the book of Hebrew is much about this).
So the passover and what have you is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT to a christian,otherwise there wouldn't be need for Jesus Christ to die.
Jesus rose from death on the first day of the week according to the scriptures,thus the reason why the church meet on this day.
And to the issue of celebration of Easter( or Christmas) rooted in Pagan/Hellenistic culture,thanks for educating us on this bit of history.
We've heard it over and over again.
If  pagan superstitions are substituted with momentous events in Christianity,I don't think there is any cause for sorrow,but joy as long as we understand the significance of the event we refer to and we allow the message to have meaning in our individual lives.
For me personally,I have never bothered and don't care what rabbit or bunny or egg is all about(not part of my culture and never had any meaning for me anyway),but to remember that 2000 years ago  this season,Christ was crucified and He rose again(THE MOST IMPORTANT EVENT IN HISTORY FOR A CHRISTIAN),and that is what I remember,relive and celebrate.
Finally,no chriatian should feel condemned by observance or otherwise of any day,as Paul admonish us in Colossians 2:16-17;
LET NO MAN THEREFORE JUDGE YOU IN MEAT,OR IN DRINK,OR IN RESPECT OF AN HOLYDAY,OR OF THE MOON,OR OF THE SABBATH DAYS:
WHICH ARE A SHADOW OF THINGS TO COME;BUT THE BODY IS OF CHRIST.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by kimba(m): 6:01pm On Apr 16, 2006
@mod
Easter is recognized in modern Christianity as the day upon which the faithful celebrate Christ’s miraculous resurrection. Yet, in celebrating this event millions will turn to the familiar image of the biogenetic oddity known as the Easter Bunny without so much as asking, “What does an egg-laying rabbit have to do with Christ?” This article suggests perhaps it’s time YOU asked that question. Shocking as it may sound the truth is that Easter goes together with the true Christ just about as well as eggs do with rabbits. <<added by mod>>

- why shouldn't we(Christians) celebrate Easter?
- why shouldn't we celebrate the fact the Jesus, the Only Savior died and rose from the dead?
- is there any other person, man or mortal that has achieved such a feat, and who can be counted as a Savior?
- How many other Gods have risen from the dead? how many of them have saved themselves, not to talk of saving their followers?

and I wonder why intellectual minds of today are always on the prowl to find something wrong with Christianity. Is it because they know its the truth, yet they'll fight to finish trying to disprove it? The Bible is there for all to read, free for all,

December is just around the corner, and just before we get there, what is Christmas going to be associated with, or should we stop the celebration all together?
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by welborn(m): 7:34pm On Apr 16, 2006
As for me and my house
We will celebrate with a bounce.
It doesn't matter what they say
If they've not had a good day.

For everyday of the year
Pagans will always yell.
If we ever hold back His praise
The stones will be amazed!

If it wasn't the Da Vinci Code
Or some wahala they stole
The Complaints are too weak
To make a very bad week.

The angels rejoiced at His birth
And there was sadness in hell;
God's Son came from heaven -
That's bad news for the devil!

Ever since the controversy
The Gospel has continued elegantly.
Beelzebub will continue his lies
For he is the lord of the flies! lipsrsealed

So, whether they like it or not
The Gospel won't lose a jot!
Hallelujah to the King of Peace
His praise shall never cease!!

- Easter Greetings to all who love the Lord Jesus
He died, He rose, He lives. . . He comes soon!
welborn. cheesy
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by eniola(f): 11:55am On Apr 17, 2006
Yes as Christians, we should celebrate Easter, especially since it:
[list]
[li]Reminds us that we serve a living God[/li]
[li]Provides us with the opportunity to reach out to unbelievers[/li]
[li]And it keeps Christ alive in a world that's trying to erase him.[/li]
[/list]

Happy Belated Easter y'all!

smiley
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by welborn(m): 2:22pm On Apr 17, 2006
I'm beginning to wonder why all the hoo-ha about Christian celebrations - Easter, Christmas, etc. If Christianity celebrates the incarnation, people will complain and consign it to the birth of a Roman pagan deity (Mithra?); if we celebrate the death and resurrection of the Saviour, there'll always be another Roman pagan deity or Greek equivalent (Kronos?) who made reservations solely for himself/herself/itself on that day.

These same people or websites from where they get their complaints have not coughed about the Bahá'í holy days and festivals (the Ridvan, Naw-Rúz, Birth & Martyrdom of the Bab, Birth of Baha‘u‘llah, etc); the Islamic festivals (Ramadan, Eid-ul-Adhia, the Hajj, etc.), and several others.

As Christians, what's wrong in celebrating the fact that
(a) Christ was born
(b) Christ died and rose again
(c) Christ ascended and poured out the Holy Spirit
(d) Christ provided better promises in His vicarious death for us
(e) Christ heals
(f ) Christ promises His soon return and the rapture?

Some of these may not be holidays around the world; but why have the celebrations of Christ's birth, death, resurrection and ascension become problematic to anyone and everyone who has no qualms about other holidays?

If the angels rejoiced at Christ's birth (Luke 2:13-14, irrespective of Dec. 25 being the debated date), and the early Christians celebrated His death, resurrection and promise of His soon return (I Cor. 11:26), why does it give a few people sleepless nights because I choose to rejoice in the fact as well? Sorry, can't let the stones take my place in praising Him - that would be a wonder no website can explain.

Jesus Christ loved me enough to come from heaven, died, rose again, ascended to heaven, poured out the Holy Spirit, and by believing in Him - I've proven in my life and experiences time and again that He is real. That's why I praise Him; that's why I celebrate His name and deeds; that's why I rejoice that His promise of the rapture will come to pass - regardless what complaints people may have. I'd only extend an invitation to such people to leave behind all the prejudices and sincerely seek this Christ.

He lives, He saves, He heals, . . . He comes back soon. smiley
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by baby4u2(f): 3:36pm On Apr 17, 2006
like many said in summary, more and more confusion on a simple issue. and in somewhat repitition of what @wellborn has already said, Easter is just a day set aside for christians (and remember is once in a year) to remember our Lord and Savior Jesus christ and the price he paid for our sins. how many people have complained up in here about marting luther king jr's. day (celebrated by recognizing his contribution to the emancipation of blacks), MKO Abiola's day (for his own contributions lol), Columbus day and the likes. like i will always say, we are all sane human beings, able to choose what and what not to do, where and where not to go. its not by force its my choice.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by ethiogurl(f): 12:20am On Apr 18, 2006
of course u should celebrate easter itz the celebration of jesus resurriction if ur doin it for the easter bunny then u got problems
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by ethiogurl(f): 12:20am On Apr 18, 2006
of course u should celebrate easter itz the celebration of jesus resurriction if ur doin it for the easter bunny then u got problems
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by NduGod(m): 5:38pm On Apr 19, 2006
Easter duck and Easter chick,
Easter eggs with chocolate thick,
Easter hats for one and all,
Easter bunny makes a call!
Happy Easter always brings
Such a lot of pleasant things!
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by babymine(f): 6:34pm On Apr 23, 2006
Yes again and again.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Seun(m): 2:53am On Oct 02, 2006
The death of Christ is not the same thing as Easter. So why celebrate Easter?
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Backslider(m): 8:00am On Oct 02, 2006
the death and ressurection is easter in it totality. the bunny is another man's way of remembering it.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Seun(m): 8:46am On Oct 02, 2006
Easter is just a secular holiday. The name is not in the bible, and the date is not in the bible.

If I decide to create a holiday for Americans in rememberance of their independence, should they celebrate it?
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by emini: 7:41pm On Oct 03, 2006
Yes we must.
From my own point of view,a true born again Christian must celebrate easther.WHY? If you truly believe that Jesus is the son of GOD sent to this corrupt world to die for man's sins(the sin committed by our fore father & mother-ADAM & EVE).then Its worth celebrating the DEATH and RE SURATION of our lord Jesus. HOW? HE was sent from GOD the father inform of HIS word to us for fogginess of our sin, and HE came inform of man to dwell among us as in GOD IS NOW WITH US reconciling us back to himself.
REALLY? Yes. HE came to abolished the law of sin and death and remition of our sin.HE was crucified for our sin and buried to figth for our deliverance from the ruler of the darkness of this sinful world(Satan)and gave us victory through HIS Blood.And Finlay,was resurrected from the dead for our justification.There is therefor no condemnation to whoever that has received him, (Rom 8:1)
Can you now see reasons why you should celebrate HIS DEATH AND RESURRECTION. It worth celebrating.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by simmy(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2006
There NO must in xtianity, as long as u realize the importance of jesus's death, no shaking. I 4 one celebrate easter when im in the mood. as long as jesus died on the cross and resurrected after three days, alll these things are irrelevancies
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Horus(m): 10:58am On Mar 26, 2007
The truth is that those so-called wise and prudent theologians know absolutely nothing about the so-called resurrection simply because it never happened. Easter, or the celebration of the resurrection, is merely a tradition, a tradition that you have been taught from childhood, and coming into maturity you have accepted it because that is what you were taught. That is what you read bout. That is what your parents made you observed every Easter Sunday. Thus, you continued to go along with it and before you knew it, you had carelessly assumed what you now believe without question or proof. Easter is the feast of feasts celebrated in honor of the risen Christ. You have even reached the point where you will defend vigorously and emotionally your belief, a belief that can lead you straight to hell.

It has become human nature to flow with the stream, and to go along with the crowd, to believe and perform like those around you. And, even when you stumble on the truth, you will not believe because like the majority of the people, you stubbornly refuse to believe what you are unwilling to believe. There is an old saying that says:

He who is convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Backslider(m): 11:52am On Mar 26, 2007
@ Horus

Yes there is the Death and resurrection of Jesus that is why he came to this sinful world to save us from our sins. We can celebrate this with Immense prayer and Evangelism, not that we are not supposed to evangelize all year but we can just give ourselves more to his love.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by lafile(m): 1:53pm On Mar 26, 2007
Seun:

Easter is just a secular holiday. The name is not in the bible, and the date is not in the bible.

Is it the name or the date that disturbs you? So if we change the name you will allow us celebrate abi?
Wishing Y'all a Happy Easter Resurrection Sunday.

The date? Someone pick a date at any time of the year, and see if the significance of the celebration will change.
It wont.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:09pm On Mar 26, 2007
The problem with all these holidays, festivals, is that they were man-made. The sad thing is that we prefer what man has made and have rejected what God has made. Strange isn't it?

Secondly these days weren't initiated by the apostles either, but by the Roman catholic church. In its attempt to highlight the fact that it as a church had the power to initiate religious festivals, and apply whatever meaning it felt like to those days, really shows the contempt it had for God and His word.

The apostle Paul spoke of the man of sin that would appear before Christ's return. He saw the falling away before it started in the 3rd and 4th century, when paganism found its way in the church. Hence the observance of Sunday the day assigned to the sun god, and the other festivals with their pagan attachments as well.

Revelation 18:4 says "And I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues."

God is calling back His people to pure and un-adulterated worship as seen in Revelation 14. He warns us not to recieve the beast's mark. If we fail to heed the warning then the plauges of Revelation 16 will fall on all those who recieve that mark.
Re: Should A Christian Celebrate Easter? by pilgrim1(f): 3:13pm On Jul 11, 2007
Celebrating Easter has nothing to do with the mark of the beast in Rev. 14 or the plagues in Rev. 16.

'Easter' has come to be understood as a celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ; but that is an unfortunate translation of the word in Acts 12:4 which is supposed to have been 'passover'. As such, it is indeed a blessing to celebrate what Christ has done for us (I Cor. 5:7). Although many Christian churches hold this celebration on a special day each year, for me it is rather a celebration each day of my life.

(1) (Reply)

The Pope- The Richest Man On Earth? / Unclad Ladies Caught In Church (pics included) / Our Daily Manna ODM Fasting 2018 Starts Today, Read Today's Prayer Points

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.