Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,221 members, 7,860,402 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:30 AM

NANS Is Missing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NANS Is Missing (506 Views)

40-year-old NANS President Expelled For Fraud, One Week After Endorsing GEJ / T.A Orji Gives Out 30 Cars To Abia Youths; Donates Bus To NANS Zone / Ex-NANS Secretary, Kolawale Oni, Killed In Car Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NANS Is Missing by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 09, 2012
NANS is Missing

Let me begin by expressing my heartfelt sympathy to the fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, relatives, classmates and friends of the Nigerian students who were slaughtered first in Mubi, Adamawa State and then in Aluu, Rivers State. As a parent, brother and friend I can feel your pains and anguish that you are passing through at this point in your lives. I pray God to strengthen and comfort you in Jesus’ name, Amen.

The degradation and lack of sanctity for lives in Nigeria is very calamitous and bizarre. First it was at the Polytechnic Mubi where more than 20 students were called out by names and murdered in the dead of the night. While many of us are yet to recover from that shock, another group of students were murdered in cold blood in Aluu, Rivers State. As I watched the massacre at Aluu via the youtube, I kept wondering if the people of Aluu who committed this heinous act are human beings or animals. How on earth can people be so barbaric and callous to their fellow human beings? No animal would be treated the way these boys were dealt with. It was horrible. I have not been myself since watching this video clip. I have been very angry in my spirit about this incidence. Those people in Mubi and Aluu who participated in these orgy of killings are no doubt demons personified. I read that the Uniport students who were murdered were accused of stealing blackberry phones and laptops. Does stealing imply that the Aluu people should take the laws into their hands? Why were they not handed over to the law enforcement agencies? Were the students armed? I am not sure they were, because if they were, they would have shot their way through and escape.

I ask myself, where is the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) in this entire saga? Has it been proscribed? I am not aware of that. So what is NANS saying or doing? Mubi massacre, no NANS. Aluu 4, NANS is nowhere in sight. 8 days after Mubi, 4 days after Aluu, NANS has failed to issue a strongly worded communiqué with deadlines to government: failure of which would attract appropriate action by the great Nigerian students. This is what our leaders in those days would have done.

The leadership of NANS should forget about their differences and come together to fight this battle. You have to rise, demand and insist that justice be done to your departed colleagues. You don’t have to allow this massacre to be swept under the carpet as usual. I learnt that the president said that he will set up a panel of enquiry. While he does that, the law enforcement agencies must fish out the perpetrators of these wicked acts. Those involved in the Aluu murders are on youtube. I can forward a copy to them if they so wish. They wicked men and women must be made to face the full wrath of the law. Justice should not only be done but should be seen to have been done.

The leaders of NLC, market women associations must not stand aloof and pretend that all is well. They have to stand to be counted. The professional bodies: NBA, ASUU, NMA, NUJ etc, we all have to do something about this matter. It was Mubi on the 1st October, then the turn of Chidiaka and his friends on the 5th of same month. Nobody knows whose turn it would be next time. If these mindless killings of students are not checked and culprits brought to book to serve as deterrent to others, it will spread like wild fire.

At this juncture I must commend Sahara Reporters for their up to date reporting of events in our motherland. I also wish to single out these four Nigerian newspapers: Nigerian Tribune, National Mirror, The Nation and Punch for their consistent reporting of these murders. I am shocked that some newspapers that I once held in high esteem have started compromising. I say to them, wake up! Join the bandwagon. Enough is enough.

Before I conclude, it is important to note that these happenings are reflections of the type of governance we have had and still have in Nigeria. Anywhere there is no justice people take the laws into their hands. These mindless killings started with Dele Giwa in 1986 and the killers have not been prosecuted to date. After Dele many more like Pa Alfred Rewane, Bola Ige, Harry Marshall, Funsho Williams etc. have been murdered in cold blood. The killers are known and yet they are moving about freely occupying high positions, while some of them are contesting elections to rule Nigerians. The people are just building upon what they see in their leaders. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump (1 Cor 5:6). Leaders propel their followers, whether good or bad leaders. This is the time for every true and well meaning Nigerian to lay aside their political, religious and tribal differences and speak the truth to his or her neighbour. Nigeria cannot afford to take this road to Kigali. Nigerian refugees –God forbid- would be too much for the entire world to manage. A stitch in time saves nine. He who has ears to hear let him ear.

(1) (Reply)

Is Musiwa Jealous Of Bola Tinubu? / Jonathan Receives Ribadu’s Report Committee Members Flaw The Report. / Nigeria's Foreign Minister Orders Foreign Missions To Issue Visas Within 48hrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.