Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,674 members, 7,813,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 (9789 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill 2, Sack 25 Villages In Benue / Obiano Visits Houses Destroyed By Flood In The Rain (Photos) / Fashola Dressed In Raincoats Visits The Scene Of Flood In Papa Ashafa,Agege(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Abagworo(m): 11:51pm On Oct 09, 2012
Owerri — Two persons have been reportedly drowned, while over 8,000 persons have been dislodged from their homes, as the flood ravaging Oguta continues unabated.

Traditional ruler of the community, Eze Nnani Nzeribe, disclosed this when the Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives, Chief Emeka Ihedioha, paid an unscheduled visit to the flood ravaged community at the weekend.

According to the royal father, fish ponds, cocoa plantation, farm lands, several hectares of cassava, plantain, and over 123 farm settlements are currently submerged.

Eze Nzeribe lamented that all the riverine areas, including Oguta, Orsu, Nnebukwu, Egbema, Orsu Obodo, Opuoma, Ezi Orsu were now under water.

The monarch said: "Over 1,000 homes have been sacked in Oguta, including the home of Executive Secretary, Nigerian Content Development Commission, Mr. Ernest Nwapa, and the bridge connecting Oguta and Egbuoma, the home of the Secretary to the State Government, Professor Anthony Anwuka, has been submerged."

Noting that this same bridge leads to Senator Arthur Nzeribe's home, the traditional ruler equally said the ferry had ceased to function because landing ramp was now under water.

Responding, Chief Ihedioha expressed shock over the extent of damage and promised that he would contact the agencies of federal government for necessary action.

Ihedioha said: "I am happy that Oguta people started addressing the natural disaster instead of rioting. The Federal Government would do its part to ensure that the people have relief.

"Flood is now a national issue. All the remedies put in place would get to the affected communities."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201210090925.html

1 Like

Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by AndreUweh(m): 11:52pm On Oct 09, 2012
This is painful.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by profola2be(m): 1:35am On Oct 10, 2012
may God save us this year oooo in this country.
too much disaster,from BOKO BOKO to fuel subsidy disaster to sport disaster in Olympics,where our Athlets failed to win a single Medal.
now,it is flood disaster.
GOD OF HEAVEN,please save us.

With the recent incidents of flood in some parts of the country, i hope our Governments; at the Federal, State and Local level, will be more proactive. Reports have it that we're still going to experience more, particularly the black flood, in November and December. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Uchenna42(m): 1:35am On Oct 10, 2012
Mehn.....
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by hurricaneChris: 1:40am On Oct 10, 2012
God deliever us frm all these calamities
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by 2sexy(m): 1:40am On Oct 10, 2012
The end of the world is near!
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Amazondepth(m): 2:01am On Oct 10, 2012
End of d world is near because of flooding dat highlights how climate change has successfully exposed d ineptitude of d goverment @ every level.what if it was Tsunami?shey by now Nigeria wld have been wiped out d surface of d earth?all those NEMA pple wey dey carry agbada go flooded areas and politicians dat keep fooling demselves with stunts on canoes!God is watching

2 Likes

Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by JojoArmani(m): 2:12am On Oct 10, 2012
Flood now in Imo, God save us all. May de soul of de deceased R I P.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by profola2be(m): 2:15am On Oct 10, 2012
profola2be: Reports have it that we're still going to experience more, particularly the black flood, in November and December.
pls,which one is "BLACK FLOOD"?
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by vislabraye(m): 2:19am On Oct 10, 2012
It still amazes me. In Bayelsa, Anambra, Benue, Kogi and now Imo. What's happening? What surprise me is that these states except Bayelsa are not close to the Atlantic Ocean.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 10, 2012
vislabraye: It still amazes me. In Bayelsa, Anambra, Benue, Kogi and now Imo. What's happening? What surprise me is that these states except Bayelsa are not close to the Atlantic Ocean.
Why didnt u use google b4 displayin dis utter ignorance??
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Nobody: 2:34am On Oct 10, 2012
The Government needs to step up quickly.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by SlyIg(f): 2:44am On Oct 10, 2012
What is happening God? Are you gonna wipe us away wit flood? Please forgive the sins of our lives and take away this disasters from us Oh Lord. I ve never heard nor experienced any flood to this extent in my life. I can feel how painfull it is to those affected. May God help His children.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Ashawoboi: 2:52am On Oct 10, 2012
profola2be:
BLACK FLOOD IS WHEN THE IVER NIGER AND BENUE PLUS ATLANTIC OCEAN TURNS BLACK NOW JUST LIKE A RIVER IN CHINA TURNS RED. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ABI I NO CORRECT?
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by dabrake(m): 3:34am On Oct 10, 2012
profola2be: may God save us this year oooo in this country.
too much disaster,from BOKO BOKO to fuel subsidy disaster to sport disaster in Olympics,where our Athlets failed to win a single Medal.

With the recent incidents of flood in some parts of the country, i hope our Governments; at the Federal, State and Local level, will be more proactive. Reports have it that we're still going to experience more, particularly the black flood, in November and December. It's better to be safe than sorry.
how nah? Nov. and Dec.? Rain dey fall that kain time?
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by dabrake(m): 3:36am On Oct 10, 2012
Geo-man:
it should be the other way round
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Rich4god(m): 3:43am On Oct 10, 2012
God... plz protect us.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Dopefiend(m): 3:45am On Oct 10, 2012
profola2be: may God save us this year oooo in this country.

profola2be:

Na u talk am,na u still con dey ask. Abi na ur alter type am? undecided undecided
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by touchplay(m): 4:12am On Oct 10, 2012
Ashawo boi: BLACK FLOOD IS WHEN THE IVER NIGER AND BENUE PLUS ATLANTIC OCEAN TURNS BLACK NOW JUST LIKE A RIVER IN CHINA TURNS RED. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ABI I NO CORRECT?
.....nope,its jst dat ur head seems nt 2 b correct#
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by dopeJemi: 4:57am On Oct 10, 2012
Av noticed sumfin, weneva sumbody post a bad news, sumbody aLwaiz likes it.

I posted a topic abt a gurL'z death, I got 1Like

Nau I'm seeing 1Like here again

Dnt get it, izit dat dey Like d bad news or wat

1 Like

Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Maranzano(m): 5:02am On Oct 10, 2012
It is really sad to hear that Oguta and environs are affected by this flood disaster. The terrain is generally low lying susceptible to rapid overflow when the Blue lake and Urashi river increase in volume. Network of smaller rivers that drain the landmass will not help matters but govt and the Oil companies in the affected areas can restore the hope of the people by the provision of relief materials and relocation of endagered villages. Flood of this magnitude cannot be prevented but can be managed.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Bamz(m): 5:38am On Oct 10, 2012
Loving father, we lift the victims of the Imo flood before You and those affected in one way or the other, we pray that You will be their comfort at all times giving their families the fortitude to withstand whatever sadness and pain they may be going through. Calm their fears, and give them that ray of hope, that whilst they live, all is not lost. IJN.

2 Likes

Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by dasparrow: 5:42am On Oct 10, 2012
@Post

I have never before seen many parts of Nigeria flooded like this. Lord Jehovah God, please help the flood victims.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by EXCELLENCEAbia: 5:54am On Oct 10, 2012
Geo-man:
teach am no be to dey abuse am.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by remmyton(f): 6:03am On Oct 10, 2012
that's sad, my friend said their house is affected too, God help us all, who knows where next it will happen, no place is safe again
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by EXCELLENCEAbia: 6:04am On Oct 10, 2012
i do ask myself if i sleep and never wake up, what is my faith. i know it does not matter but to them that are dead after after leaving in hell as poor as they can be what is their faith. God help us
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by greall1: 6:09am On Oct 10, 2012
Hay.
Well flood happened every where in part of d world inluding american it happened in thailand affected area will b indoor for 1 to 2 wks without doing anytin. It also happed in philipine flood will almost cover their roofing.
But dis neva happened in nigeria. Who know where next and I'm very sure dis would continue every year. because thai always expected flood every year.Gov babatunde raji fashola dis is a lesson for you.what's your plan for lagos state toward flood disasters. Few weeks ago kuramo beach show lagos state sample lol those affected may their soul RIP . Scientific predicted it would happen in lagos in next 50years.Also before rain started dis season scientific said there would be a too much rain. May god save nigeria dis year ane next coming yrs about flood disasters.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by EXCELLENCEAbia: 6:09am On Oct 10, 2012
there is going to be urgent reaction because it affected the rich. but nevetheless the world as in movie is at last fight.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by greatgod2012(f): 6:13am On Oct 10, 2012
God have mercy, im beginning to get scared of dis floodings.
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by bisiswag(f): 6:16am On Oct 10, 2012
Maranzano: It is really sad to hear that Oguta and environs are affected by this flood disaster. The terrain is generally low lying susceptible to rapid overflow when the Blue lake and Urashi river increase in volume. Network of smaller rivers that drain the landmass will not help matters but govt and the Oil companies in the affected areas can restore the hope of the people by the provision of relief materials and relocation of endagered villages. Flood of this magnitude cannot be prevented but can be managed.
Relocation and relief materials? That will still get invaded by robbers who will steal the relief materials
May God help us oh cos no one is safe anywhere in ds country.Uncertainty all around,disasters,natural and artificial with nothing in place to tackle them effectively. Hmn!!
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by dopeJemi: 6:22am On Oct 10, 2012
remmyton: that's sad, my friend said their house is affected too, God help us all, who knows where next it will happen, no place is safe again
abeg oh, where I ​A̶̲̥̅̊
♏ z very safe, warri z safecheesycheesy
Re: Flood In Imo Kill 2 & Displaced 8000 by Biggyd2: 6:22am On Oct 10, 2012
My fear is the alert of another flood occurring soon:

[b]
THE National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has alerted on fresh plans by Cameroun to release water from its dams.

According to NEMA, Taraba, Borno, Cross River, Adamawa and Benue states would once again be affected if the water was released.

The NEMA North-East zone Coordinator, Mohammed Kanar, disclosed this at the weekend in Jalingo, Taraba State when the agency presented relief materials to flood victims in the state. He stressed the need for the government of the above states to be proactive to avert further disaster in the region.

He stated: “Cameroun would be releasing water from their dams in a few days time. Rather than allowing the dams to get filled and break, it is better to allow them to release the water as the level of destruction would be reduced compared to when the dams break.”

He added though the agency had alerted vulnerable states and communities about the plan to empty the Camerounian dams, he however stressed the need to alert the likely affected areas.

Kanar who also assured on the readiness of the agency to continue to assist victims of the flood, echoed the need for state governments to partner with the agency to reduce the human and material losses arising from the flood.

Receiving the items, Governor Danbaba Suntai, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Emmanuel Njiwa, said the government would ensure even distribution of the materials.

According to him, the state government had been playing its role since the outbreak of the flood, which had ravaged and displaced thousands of people, stating “we have been reaching out to the victims in many ways.”

Items presented to the victims include beddings, building materials, clothing and foodstuff.[/b] http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101058:nema-alerts-on-fresh-plans-to-release-water-from-camerounian-dams-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Has there been any apologies from the country that caused this flood in the first place?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ikorodu Militants Attack: Setting The Record Straight / Armed Herdsmen Should Be Declared Terrorists – Itse Sagay / Fresh Fuel Supply Crisis Looms As Tanker Drivers Threaten Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.