Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,349 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Meet The World Poorest President - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Meet The World Poorest President (1006 Views)

Jose Mujica: The World’s ‘poorest’ President • Donates 90% Salary To Poor / World Poorest President: Who Could That Be Or You Want Doubt With Pics Link / The World's Poorest President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The World Poorest President by genxris: 6:41am On Oct 10, 2012
While the title president is often synonymous with plush living and hefty paycheques, Uruguay’s head of state is contrasting the norm.

José Mujica who is commonly referred to as the “The World’s Poorest President” donates 90 per cent of his salary, taking home approximately Ksh105, 000 of his allotted Ksh1,050,000.

Speaking to a Spanish newspaper, the 77-year-old head of state explained that the amount he takes home is sufficient

"I do fine with that amount; I have to do fine because there are many Uruguayans who live with much less," he told the paper.

Mujica also refused to live in the presidential residence, opting to reside in a small farmhouse owned by his wife. Like her husband, Mrs. Mujica donates a large sum of her senatorial salary.

The president, who was previously a guerilla fighter, has no bank account. When declaring his wealth, Mujica stated that his most valuable possession is his aged Volkswagen Beetle.

Known as a man who shuns formalities and high-end living, Mujica has endeared himself to many as a generous leader and a true man of the people.  After 10 years behind bars for his guerilla activism, Mujica has served as a senator and minister for agriculture.

Though José Mujica is not the first president to donate his salary, his move is a sharp contrast to the leaders in Kenya and other  who take home large salaries while the bulk of their constituents live below the poverty lin

Re: Meet The World Poorest President by genxris: 6:45am On Oct 10, 2012
His volkswagen beetle car is said to worthh about #200,000 nigerian naira. This is really unbelieviable but true.
Re: Meet The World Poorest President by Martini101(m): 7:51am On Oct 10, 2012
genxris: His volkswagen beetle car is said to worthh about #200,000 nigerian naira. This is really unbelieviable but true.
. 4 where! If u bring #40k, i 'll get u a clean nija used one. Lol
Re: Meet The World Poorest President by slimming: 8:14am On Oct 10, 2012
wonderful
Re: Meet The World Poorest President by Caseless: 11:55am On Oct 10, 2012
My good GOD, u created uraguay thesame way u created nigeria, but nigeria is far away from good leaders/leadership. What is obtain in uraguay in terms of leadership as exibited by this God-fearing leader is difficult to find in my dear country,nigeria. As a hopeful nigerian,who believed u did not create this country or made me a nigerian by accident..i'm praying u touch the hearts of our present set of leaders ,guide them aright so that they can think of what is right to do for this country and if they refuse to change, i pray that in ur power u flush them out and replace them with good ones. Infact, even na my father dey dere and he's not ready to make things right, GOD , take him out of whatever office and replace him with a better person...though, i know my fada luv dis country and has taught me to believe in it. God u answereth the prayers of uraguans by givin dem a leader like this, in ur power u can also do that for nigerians..we need this kind of president in nija!

1 Like

Re: Meet The World Poorest President by Agiliti(m): 7:02am On Nov 16, 2012
caseless: My good GOD, u created uraguay thesame way u created nigeria, but nigeria is far away from good leaders/leadership. What is obtain in uraguay in terms of leadership as exibited by this God-fearing leader is difficult to find in my dear country,nigeria. As a hopeful nigerian,who believed u did not create this country or made me a nigerian by accident..i'm praying u touch the hearts of our present set of leaders ,guide them aright so that they can think of what is right to do for this country and if they refuse to change, i pray that in ur power u flush them out and replace them with good ones. Infact, even na my father dey dere and he's not ready to make things right, GOD , take him out of whatever office and replace him with a better person...though, i know my fada luv dis country and has taught me to believe in it. God u answereth the prayers of uraguans by givin dem a leader like this, in ur power u can also do that for nigerians..we need this kind of president in nija!

he is an atheist
Re: Meet The World Poorest President by Caseless: 11:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
Agiliti:

he is an atheist
if u are like that uraguan leader in nigeria , u will b regarded as a God-fearing leader...cos we
don't vote atheist here, u know. so, I was relating the situation to nigeria that was why I gave the description. atheist, hope I'm clear?
Re: Meet The World Poorest President by ichommy(m): 11:58pm On Nov 16, 2012
Wow, that nice.
Re: Meet The World Poorest President by Agiliti(m): 12:47am On Nov 17, 2012
caseless: if u are like that uraguan leader in nigeria , u will b regarded as a God-fearing leader...cos we
don't vote atheist here, u know. so, I was relating the situation to nigeria that was why I gave the description. atheist, hope I'm clear?

to refer to a man who clearly and openly does not believe in a god as god fearing is complete bollocks no matter what "situation" you put it..infact have you stopped to think that maybe it is his lack of faith that makes him such a humble president, because i'm sure if one of our men of god was president of even the poorest country, no one in his circle would be caught dead in a vw beetle

(1) (Reply)

Political Movements Of Black And African Peoples / Video Of Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash Site In Ukraine Showing Passengers! / China Fires Missile Near North Korea Border In Terrifying WW3 Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.