Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,838 members, 7,828,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands (6662 Views)

3 Nigerians Arrested In Vietnam For Conning People Out Of More Than $1.3m / Nigerian Jailed 330 Years In The US For Raping Daughter / Nigerian Arrested For Conning Vietnamese Women On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Patsey: 9:22am On Oct 11, 2012
[size=16pt]NIGERIAN JAILED FOR CONNING CROYDON COUNCIL OF £90,000![/size]

[img]http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/resources/images/2177466/?type=articleLandscape[/img]

A fraudster who assumed a string of false identities to con the council out of more than £90,000 in benefits has been jailed for two years. Emmanuel Ikem, 27, of Hawthorn Avenue, Thornton Heath, used 13 identities to claim the money, between February 2007 and June 2012.

Croydon Crown Court was told on Monday that Ikem made multiple false housing benefit claims, setting up different bank accounts so he could receive the money. He created false documents and Julius Capon, prosecuting, said that a considerable amount of planning had gone into claiming the money. Mr Capon told the court that fake birth certificates were made, along with false tenancy agreements and utility bills. He said various other letters were also forged, including ones from the job centre.

Ikem pleaded guilty to 17 counts of fraud by misrepresentation, and was sentenced at Croydon Crown Court to two years in prison because he had pleaded guilty. Ikem also admitted a further three counts of insurance fraud, spanning from 2009 to 2011, where he accumulated £8,000. In sentencing, Judge Jeremy Gold said: "It is never nice to send a man into custody for the first time. "But you have committed a series of frauds. You have put so much thought into it, its a shame that it didn't go into any lawful activity. He said: "You chose to rely on dishonesty resulting in a loss of £90,000 to the public purse. "That is quite apart from the three insurance frauds of £8,000. "I have read the letters from your family and it is a shame that this will leave you all affected by your dishonesty." Ikem was visibly upset when the sentence was given, along with friends and family. One person told him to keep his head up. DC Jim Cann, from Croydon Police's financial investigation unit, said he was pleased with the sentence. He said: "It was a fair sentence. It reflects the amount of crime he committed. We will attempt to get as much money back as possible to pay back the council. "Around £15,000 has been identified so far."

SOURCE: http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/9963509.Fraudster_jailed_after_conning_council_out_of___90_000/?ref=rss
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by MadCow1: 9:34am On Oct 11, 2012
---

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Freiburger(m): 9:34am On Oct 11, 2012
I find a two years behind bar sentence too smalll for these kind of offences.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 11, 2012
Don't drop the soap son! undecided
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by TonySpike: 9:36am On Oct 11, 2012
This thread promises to be extraordinarily exciting....full of promises too grin grin grin
*Buys popcorn and chilled 1 litre coke*
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 11, 2012
Just take a look at that F*ggot's face. angry

People like these just make it difficult for Innocent people to access these benefits.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by ednut1(m): 9:39am On Oct 11, 2012
let d e tribal bashin begin smh
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Freiburger(m): 9:43am On Oct 11, 2012
Legit1: Don't drop the soap son! undecided
Another potential frudstar.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by omiobo: 9:44am On Oct 11, 2012
I'm black till I die
Fly till I die
I'm reppin for my city ya ya
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by coogar: 9:45am On Oct 11, 2012
Freiburger: I find a two years behind bar sentence is too smalll for these kind of offences.

he would spend only 52 weeks in a cosy prison cell and get released...
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by ujchief(m): 9:46am On Oct 11, 2012
2yrs for £90,000 + £8,000?? Waow!! Who said crime doesnt pay, hes lucky he didnt try that in aluu comunity! He must be a briliant fela, the way he found loop-holes in the system.
Anyway, that bursty chest i see up there would make some inmates go gaga.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by hypergig(m): 9:46am On Oct 11, 2012
It's a fair sentence considering the crime commited..
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Booty4me: 9:47am On Oct 11, 2012
OYA TRIBALIST... SEUN DON BRING UNA FOOD. WATCHING IN 3D... SIPS ALOMO
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by jogrin0(m): 9:49am On Oct 11, 2012
nigerians wud neva cease 2 amaze me. . .see offenses
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by jogrin0(m): 9:50am On Oct 11, 2012
Booty4me: OYA TRIBALIST... SEUN DON BRING UNA FOOD. WATCHING IN 3D... SIPS ALOMO
hmmm
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Freiburger(m): 9:51am On Oct 11, 2012
Booty4me: OYA TRIBALIST... SEUN DON BRING UNA FOOD. WATCHING IN 3D... SIPS ALOMO
If that is your area of interest, i promise you will fail today.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Freiburger(m): 9:53am On Oct 11, 2012
coogar:

he would spend only 52 weeks in a cosy prison cell and get released...
You can imagine that.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 11, 2012
---
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Ibime(m): 10:05am On Oct 11, 2012
The eediot earned only 90k in 5 years. Nickel and diming @zz punk. His mates earned double and triple that by going to work. If you want to do 419 at least make it worthwhile, not spending all ya time forging documents for the equivalent of minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 11, 2012
Only £90k? Well, better luck next time. Guess he would become acquainted with 'contacts' in the slammer that would help him perfect his trade. . .prison has stopped being a correctional facility for several decades now. It's a place where people learn more 'trade secrets' and become more hardened than they were previously.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Kizopumpin(m): 10:11am On Oct 11, 2012
---
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Burger01(m): 10:13am On Oct 11, 2012
---
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by omar22(m): 10:13am On Oct 11, 2012
Legit1: Don't drop the soap son! undecided

Where? in the shower?
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by coogar: 10:18am On Oct 11, 2012
Ibime: The eediot earned only 90k in 5 years. Nickel and diming @zz punk. His mates earned double and triple that by going to work. If you want to do 419 at least make it worthwhile, not spending all ya time forging documents for the equivalent of minimum wage.

what makes you think he wasn't working while claiming benefits? he created false ids to perpetrate the act - he could have been multi-tasking, no? the benefit system in the uk is too impregnable! i think it's about time they stop giving them cash - why should my tax pay for the alcohol/tobacco of a jobless lout on the street? the government should introduce food stamps or some sorta token to discourage these scroungers! as it is, it's too easy!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by rusep: 10:34am On Oct 11, 2012
ednut1: let d e tribal bashin begin smh

Nobody will say anything because he is not a Northerner.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by achi4u(m): 10:48am On Oct 11, 2012
No bashing yet!
Nairaland is gradually changing from bad to good.

keep it guys
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by RickyRoss1(m): 10:48am On Oct 11, 2012
Poor thing, I wish he was able to make up to 500 Million Pounds from those Britico. For raaaping my fore fathers mercilessly and taking my people into slavery and not apologizing till date, I do not consider this guy a bad guy. All 419 scammers should invade Britain and steal as much money as possible, na them start am. If possible, steal all the money in Barclays bank, it was built with slave/fraud money from Africa.

Dbanj and Don Jazzy did similar frauds in the UK, after they got up to 3 milla pounds they returned back to Lagos to establish their recording label.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Ejine(m): 10:50am On Oct 11, 2012
Don't forget to pack your Vaseline, son.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by paris10: 10:54am On Oct 11, 2012
While his sentence was a bit soft, he however had no previous criminal record, and that stood as his mitigating factor. However, we have seen judges who gave upto 15 years for similar crime. He should count himself lucky for not coming across a bias and prejudice judge.

And to anyone (you know yourselves) who would collectively label Nigerians as a whole for this bad behaviour of Mr Ikem, pls refrain from doing so. Some people have not yet commented on the #Aluu4 (a cankerworm Nigeria must get rid of), rather they'd opt to comment on this one.

Although, Nigeria is labelled as being synonymous to fraud in the UK and all over, the English, Indian and Pakistani people are the biggest housing benefit fraud out there. However, this is not an excuse for any Nigerian to indulge in such criminal activity.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by gulfer: 10:56am On Oct 11, 2012
ujchief: 2yrs for £90,000 + £8,000?? Waow!! Who said crime doesnt pay, hes lucky he didnt try that in aluu comunity! He must be a briliant fela, the way he found loop-holes in the system.
Anyway, that bursty chest i see up there would make some inmates go gaga.
Plus he will do restitution payments. The UK system is not like what you have in Nigeria when you come back to your loot.
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by cbjonstage(m): 11:04am On Oct 11, 2012
im glad he was caught, unlike others who succeeded flying into 9jaland becoming a state governor in the twinkle of an eye not knowing he was a CRIMINAL...today, one of such persons case in still in d court of law
Re: Nigerian Jailed For Conning Croydon Council Out Of Thousands by Skywalker5(m): 11:05am On Oct 11, 2012
is that his car behind? cool cool cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

NTA Always look for a way to disgrace us / Arsenal Star Raped Nigerian Model / Cultist Vs Nigerian Army 11 Killed At At Spot - PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.