Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism (6842 Views)

Oshiomhole Fires Back At Okonjo-Iweala "You Should Be Ashamed..." / Fayose Presents Car Gifts To Teachers In Appreciation For Their Hard Works / Jega Sacks Two Electoral Officers In Edo For Disappearance Of Result Sheets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 4:52pm On Oct 11, 2012
2mch: Very good. Too many lazy people in Nigeria. No wonder the kids are failing. When the teachers are absent, how are the kids going to lern? Who will teach? If they have other business keeping them away from work, now they have plenty time on their hands to attend to their various businesses. I think teachers all over the country should take assessment tests in their field of work. A lot of their qualifications are in very big doubt. Especially for government schools. Some cant even speak english or express themselves. Some dont even know what they are teaching.

Gbam! God bless u jor!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by honeric01(m): 4:56pm On Oct 11, 2012
GboyegaD:

If he visited the schools on Tuesday and he's sacked them on Wednesday, then do you think he gave them the opportunity to explain the reason for their lateness or absentism?

The school has a principal? yes or no? definitely the principal must have told the governor everything about the 20 teachers, if they took excuse, he or she would have laid it down before the governor. quit the sympathy parade.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Clemzy16(m): 4:59pm On Oct 11, 2012
You need to see the way the teachers were shaking when been interrogated by Oshio Quake on news here in Benin. I can count the number of times teachers will actually come to classes back in sec sch. Even when we were preparing for our s.s.c.e. Some of them act like they're the principal of the school, i remember our government teacher only came to class three times in a term, just because he's the vice-principal. We suffered alot then, we had no other option to make our comprehensive government textbook our teacher. I agree with him there.. The governor has provided a suitable enviroment for us. But the classes are useless without teachers actually teaching the students. I believe this is an eye-opener to each and any one of then(Teachers). Especially Mr salami of Niger College.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Freiburger(m): 5:01pm On Oct 11, 2012
honeric01:

The school has a principal? yes or no? definitely the principal must have told the governor everything about the 20 teachers, if they took excuse, he or she would have laid it down before the governor. quit the sympathy parade.
No one is against what the governor did, but if you take some time and do some inquiry, you will get a different information. This is where we 've got to be very carefull.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by honeric01(m): 5:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
Freiburger:
No one is against what the governor did, but if you take some time and do some inquiry, you will get a different information. This is where we 've got to be very carefull.

You sure he wasn't careful before taking the decision? the decision was taken 24 hours later, maybe he already collected the teacher's register for a background check?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by kooto(m): 5:41pm On Oct 11, 2012
I think sacking or is it dismissing them is rather too harsh, he can reverse this to maybe minus one weeks payor half salary for this month. mr gov please oo.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by controlseven: 6:23pm On Oct 11, 2012
Civil service is not run like private owned businesses. Protocols are observed in its administration. If the teachers erred by being absent from work, then they should be queried so as to hear their own views b4 actions are taken. What if any of the teachers is involved in an accident or carried by the ravaging floods? Our leaders should not turn dictators.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Forester45(m): 6:25pm On Oct 11, 2012
babslepe: @ texaspete dont say what you dont know i served as a corper at the accountant generals office there in benin city and all salaries are paid before 28th of every month and they get their over heads the first week of the following month so dont come to say rubbish on nairaland. if you dont have fact and figures just read and follow the topic instead of blabbing nonsense. lets give this man some credit ok
. So becus u worked in Accountant Generals office, salaries are now paid on time??. Is like u dont know anything?. Will d AG pay into teachers accounts?? What of bank unnecessary delays??. U should go back and learn d work.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Forester45(m): 6:33pm On Oct 11, 2012
This is unacceptable. Oshomole has over reacted. This is far from due process and close to military dictatorship. U forgot d natural disaster in ur state and d hardship people are facing. U should have punish them. Before i forget, those contractors dat usually stay off-site should also be sacked. Secondly, have u paid the teachers for d month of september including TSS?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Smooyis(m): 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
Dear sir, i know u were annoyed dat is why u took dat decision. But please give it a second thought. Other punitive measures could have been taken against them instead of outright dismissal. Remember we all make mistakes. As d father to d state, u should punish them with d right hand and draw them bak t you with d left hand. Thank u sirDear sir, i know u were annoyed dat is why u took dat decision. But please give it a second thought. Other punitive measures could have been taken against them instead of outright dismissal. Remember we all make mistakes. As d father to d state, u should punish them with d right hand and draw them bak t you with d left hand. Thank u sirDear sir, i know u were annoyed dat is why u took dat decision. But please give it a second thought. Other punitive measures could have been taken against them instead of outright dismissal. Remember we all make mistakes. As d father to d state, u should punish them with d right hand and draw them bak t you with d left hand. Thank u sir
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Smooyis(m): 7:06pm On Oct 11, 2012
Dear sir, i know u were annoyed dat is why u took dat decision. But please give it a second thought. Other punitive measures could have been taken against them instead of outright dismissal. Remember we all make mistakes. As d father to d state, u should punish them with d right hand and draw them bak t you with d left hand. Thank u sir
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Akiika: 7:57pm On Oct 11, 2012
Freiburger:
If the state was to to pay the unemployment benefits to those dismissed , he would have think twice before taking that action.

Unemployment benefits don't get paid to workers fired for derelict of duty or ineptitude. But, they should have been queried first then warned. Their colleagues that put their names in the register should have been handed over to the police for investigation because forgery is a crime. Those ones should lose their job instead, their credibility is sullied for them to continue teaching kids. But, Naija na banana republic.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GboyegaD(m): 10:10pm On Oct 11, 2012
Gracious10:

Yes, that's the best way to resolve it. Atleast some of these teachers will sit up. You keep forgetting that the best judge is our conscience. What happened to it? When u r given a job, do it diligently! The Gov doesn't need to visit schools everyday, the teachers needs to be in school everyday and on time too. All these lawless supporters club is unnecessary. if commissioner for Education can't do his job. Someone else can.

It's only when thieves visit ur house and rob u of ur prized possessions then u call naija a lawless nation but u as individuals are more lawless than those thieves. What u teach them is what they give back to u. There are people looking for a job and ready to be diligent about it. Lawless can never grow a nation.

That is why he needs a capable Commissioner of Education. That said, his action to me seem barbaric because nothing was said about them inquiring from those concerned why they came late or were absent from work. Besides, that people did not come to school for reasons we did not ascertain makes them less diligent right?
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GboyegaD(m): 10:15pm On Oct 11, 2012
honeric01:

Do you conclude based on what the Principal says let me pretend I agree with your position? Why not query those involved rather than act biasly? I am not sympathising with those affected and all I am saying is the government did not handle the issue the way he should.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by emiye(m): 10:22pm On Oct 11, 2012
The real offense of those teachers was some one signing for them, when they were not in school, coming late or not coming to work would have been met with a query.
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Curiouscity(m): 10:38pm On Oct 11, 2012
Same people condemning the comrade governor are the ones talking about poor education standard in Nigeria.
So Oshiomole should set a committee to investigate why teachers didn't go to school yet their names were in
the register? No wonder it is said "the government is as good as the people it governs" and vice versa.

With the mentality we portray on NL, Nigeria is in a deep poo!!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by Gracious10: 2:56am On Oct 12, 2012
GboyegaD:

That is why he needs a capable Commissioner of Education. That said, his action to me seem barbaric because nothing was said about them inquiring from those concerned why they came late or were absent from work. Besides, that people did not come to school for reasons we did not ascertain makes them less diligent right?

Is there a reason why other people signed them in when they weren't there? Am sure they must have asked their partners in crime to do such for them. If these issues just came up recently, then we may consider inquiring what or what didn't happen. If you schooled in naija, you know the attitudes of teachers, u know their I don't care attitude. This has been on for a long time. I hope he fires them permanently!
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by tonididdy(m): 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2012
the restructuring of the educational process by my state governor,comrade adams oashiomole desreves also a complete overhaul of the teachers.with the standard of structures on ground now(go take a look at the new schools now,an outsider would mistake them for 5star hotel building).so who arent willing to change with the system must be withdrawn...

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by GeorgeD1(m): 9:14am On Oct 13, 2012
exactly, i agree!
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by salolo(m): 6:56pm On Nov 27, 2012
NICE
Re: Oshiomhole Fires 20 Teachers In Edo For Absenteeism by tck2000(m): 10:46am On Jun 05, 2019
okay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG / I Will Not Run From EFCC- Governor Ortom Vows / Nigerian Senate Votes To Empower Vice President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.