Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,405 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! (1451 Views)

Theists And Atheists What Do U Think Of Pascal's Wager. / Why Do Atheists Always Debate Theists And God's Existence? / Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:53pm On Oct 11, 2012
For the record i'm a christian. I was born one and i don't see that changing anytime soon or ever. However, it does not mean i believe everybody should confomr with what i believe in. I'm a firm believer in freedom of worship/religion. Each person that adheres to a religion (or lack of) has a reason and a purpose behind it and that i respect.

So it hurts me a lot when i come on a board like this and i see people insulting things that theists believe are spiritual like God, Jesus, Allah and the rest. Everyone is involved in this it appears. The atheists insult across the board (christian, Muslim etc) the Christians and the Muslims proclaim each other's supreme beings as fake or unreal and it just hurts me. What you guys don't know or don't care about is that what you are insulting are things people value. Look, if you insult God or Jesus, it won't hurt me because i feel that i have to protect the being i worship from insults and slurs but because i value this being as having a profound impact on my life. Why do you think it hurts when someone insults your parents or siblings? It's not because they gave birth to you (in the case of your parents) or because you come from the same parents (in the case of your siblings) but because these are people you value for the impact they've had and still have on your life. If you don't value your parents then even you will probably insult them.

If you feel that a religion is good for you, fine. worship your supreme being and do what is right. don't go around insulting other people's spiritual beings just because they don't conform with yours or insult other people that decide not to adhere to any religion. The best you can do is pray that they see your point of view and come around to believe what you believe. Anything more than that is not good.

And atheists/agnostics, because you don't adhere to any religious ideas/practices doesn't mean you should take things that people that do adhere to religions value lightly. As i posted above, you wouldn't like someone insulting your parents because you value them and its the same with religious beings and ideas and practices. Going around calling God, Jesus, Allah, Budha etc foolish or stupid or worthless doesn't make you any better than theists that insult other people's religion. Being atheist or agnostic may exempt you from religious practices but it doesn't exempt you from the rules of morality. And it is highly moral to respect things people value.

Some of you might complain that the other (theists or atheists/agonstics) started it by insulting your religious standing and so you felt you had to retaliate by insulting their religious beings or lack of. Here is a fact for you; irrationality is a function of personality not religion. The very same way there are irrational theists is the way there are irrational atheists. If one person decides to behave like a child by throwing insults, is there a rule that states you have to stoop to their level and behave just like they do? So if they set fire to their father's house would you do the same?

I would like to see a society where there is mutual respect between peoples of different religious orientation. It is a lack of that respect that gave rise to terrorist groups around the world. I have friends across many religious (or non religious) denominations and we respect and love each other. Wouldn't this world be a better place if we respected each other?

(and i know that there are people that start things like that just for the fun of getting other people to react. Stop it, it's childish.)

3 Likes

Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 12, 2012
funny...
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 12:36am On Oct 12, 2012
Please, learn about the freedom of speech before you start talking about "respect".

No one has a right not to be offended. If you dont want to be ridiculed then dont hold ridiculous beliefs. You are only protected from libel or slander. Allah, Yaweh and Bhudda are not humans and do not deserve any human rights whatsoever.

Atheists dont bother about religion by default. But when christians and muslims can not leave us alone, calling us immoral and threatenin us with hell.

Maybe you should start by telling your fellow christians not to take the rights of other religions or non-religious people away. Your fellow christians call for christian laws where abortion should be banned in most cases, where gays should be banned and where atheists can not put talk about their beliefs in public.

Charity begins at home. Dont point a finger at atheists when your brethren are guilty of the most heinous insults and abuse.

2 Likes

Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 12, 2012
If you can hate the sin, and not the sinner, I can hate the beliefs, but not the believer... tongue
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 12:56am On Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, but hope u know to insult is very different from critising.
If your father is a judge and I tell u I think he normally seems biased in his court cases and I bring u evidence supporting my claim, and u get all worked up and hurt its because u are insecure and deep inside u know its true.

I don't have to and I really shouldn't call him a corrupt pig but I have every right to criticise him and make u very aware of that incase u could do something.
U should not insult or avoid me but defend him with facts or humbly accept the truth.

The problem with most believers is that they have no fact of their own and will hardly be humble enough to accept yours.
So what can they do but insult and curse?
I guess thats why u hardly see them in the religion section nowadays.
They get too fustrated here.
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by EvilBrain1(m): 3:13am On Oct 12, 2012
Kageyoshi-san is correct. We should try to tone down on the insults. Nairaland has become too hostile a place because of them. I realize that it's often the religious people that start it, but that make it any less bad when we do it. Remember Confucius' golden rule: don't do to others what you don't want them to do to you.

On the other hand, some insults are just unavoidable. People post a lot of rétarded stuff on Nairaland and when I see some of it I have no choice but to call it out. You have to weigh the risk of hurting someone's feelings against the chance that some fragile mind might read the rétarded post and accept it as truth. And a scary number of Nairaland posts have unacceptably high levels of rètardation, especially in the religion section.

Sometimes, you just have to say something. There could be children reading. Think of the children!

2 Likes

Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Ishilove: 8:07am On Oct 12, 2012
Sebonzakura, take my advice and stick to the Literature/Writing section, because this here section is a madhouse filled with certifiable Class A nutters. Due to the the issues you mentioned in your post,I stopped involving myself in their fruitless "my god is better than your god" arguments.

Ignore the diatribes and focus on those threads that preach the gospel. Shikena

1 Like

Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ishilove: Sebonzakura, take my advice and stick to the Literature/Writing section, because this here section is a madhouse filled with certifiable Class A nutters. Due to the the issues you mentioned in your post,I stopped involving myself in their fruitless "my god is better than your god" arguments.

Ignore the diatribes and focus on those threads that preach the gospel. Shikena

well said
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by kokabiel(f): 7:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
I understand the OP completely, we are all humans, ensuring the peaceful progress of humanity regardless of the religion, race or philosophy as claimed by all (Christians, Muslims, Atheists, others). When i read such insulting threads, i find it nearly impossible to even begin to agree with some Christians who have engaged in such disgusting behavior.. it is not Christ-like sad
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by cyrexx: 6:29am On Oct 13, 2012
Ishilove:

... this here section is a madhouse filled with certifiable Class A nutters...

OP, are you taking note of this statement from one of yours. It seems your christian brethren need your admonition more than the non-religious.

You christians somehow feel its normal when you call the non-religious people all sorts of derogatory names and when we simply criticise the basis of your faith, you cry foul.

Take note.

2 Likes

Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:41am On Oct 13, 2012
See what i'm saying; people are already bringing up the "they started it first" thingy. Can noone just take the moral high ground and just do the right thing? As i pointed out, there are irrational people on this board, theists and atheists alike as there are irrational people on other boards across nairaland. If anyone behaves irrationally, you can do one of two things: ignore them or point out their irrationality WITHOUT insults. If your 10 year old spilt ink on your white shirt, would you then pick out all his/her white clothes and pour ink all over them? Would you consider yourself any better than that child? If anyone behaves childishly, you teach them the right thing to do. If they refuse to learn, ignore them. Instead of behaving like them.
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:54am On Oct 13, 2012
inurmind: Yeah, but hope u know to insult is very different from critising.
If your father is a judge and I tell u I think he normally seems biased in his court cases and I bring u evidence supporting my claim, and u get all worked up and hurt its because u are insecure and deep inside u know its true.

I don't have to and I really shouldn't call him a corrupt pig but I have every right to criticise him and make u very aware of that incase u could do something.
U should not insult or avoid me but defend him with facts or humbly accept the truth.

The problem with most believers is that they have no fact of their own and will hardly be humble enough to accept yours.
So what can they do but insult and curse?
I guess thats why u hardly see them in the religion section nowadays.
They get too fustrated here.

i know the difference between insults and criticism and i'm sure you know that much of what goes on on this board from both sides (atheists and theists) hardly qualifies as criticism. It's largely straight out insult slinging.

I don't want to go into religious talk but neither side can say that what they believe in is fact. All we have are strong reasons to believe. We christians strongly believe in God. Atheists strongly believe there's no God. Muslims believe strongly in Allah. Each have sound reasons for their beliefs and that is why i think we should respect each other's decisions and beliefs. Again, disrespect for things people value hurts; it has nothing to do with insecurity. If you spray-paint graffiti on my car, it will hurt and anger me, not because i feel insecure, but because you have shown a distinct lack of respect for something i value and the fact that i value that thing.
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 13, 2012
I think this section is cool.
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 13, 2012
Reyginus: I think this section is cool.
Me too. Sorry, sebonzakura, this section won't survive a day without insults...
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 12:55pm On Oct 13, 2012
muskeeto2:
Me too. Sorry, sebonzakura, this section won't survive a day without insults...
i think i understand. worth a shot anyways.
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Ishilove: 1:35pm On Oct 13, 2012
cyrexx:

OP, are you taking note of this statement from one of yours. It seems your christian brethren need your admonition more than the non-religious.

You christians somehow feel its normal when you call the non-religious people all sorts of derogatory names and when we simply criticise the basis of your faith, you cry foul.

Take note.
Tsk tsk,touchy touchy... Go back and reread my posts, but in case you might still be a weetle slow in weading, what I wrote is "this here SECTION". That means religious and non-religious alike,capiche?

Please wead again. . .s-l-o-w-l-y, this time. . . You can do it, I know you can, dearie.

cool
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by cyrexx: 2:05pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ishilove:
Tsk tsk,touchy touchy... Go back and reread my posts, but in case you might still be a weetle slow in weading, what I wrote is "this here SECTION". That means religious and non-religious alike,capiche?

Please wead again. . .s-l-o-w-l-y, this time. . . You can do it, I know you can, dearie.

cool

woreva, milady. Pweess be not offended

Me a just making a point based on what you a wrote. No mean say me a touchy touchy. Na na na

No problems, no offense intended and none shd be taken. no need to get defensive over a random post from an anonymous username.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Ishilove: 4:24pm On Oct 13, 2012
cyrexx:

woreva, milady. Pweess be not offended

Me a just making a point based on what you a wrote. No mean say me a touchy touchy. Na na na

No problems, no offense intended and none shd be taken. no need to get defensive over a random post from an anonymous username.

Peace.
It is well, Brova cyrexx. *big hug*
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by cyrexx: 6:18pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ishilove:
It is well, Brova cyrexx. *big hug*

Thank you, milady.

This is the first time i will receive a hug from a christian ever since i became an atheist.

What a big relief that a godless non-believing lost soul like me will receive hugs from a lovely christian sister, as unworthy as I am.

Thank you once again, milady

*using handkerchief to wipe away little tears from my eyes, the emotional part of me is obviously taking over*
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2012
*get a room, guys* lol..
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by cyrexx: 6:26pm On Oct 13, 2012
muskeeto2: *get a room, guys* lol..
grin
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Ishilove: 7:51pm On Oct 13, 2012
cyrexx:

Thank you, milady.

This is the first time i will receive a hug from a christian ever since i became an atheist.

What a big relief that a godless non-believing lost soul like me will receive hugs from a lovely christian sister, as unworthy as I am.

Thank you once again, milady

*using handkerchief to wipe away little tears from my eyes, the emotional part of me is obviously taking over*
*patting your back affectionately* There there, don't cry...
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Ishilove: 7:53pm On Oct 13, 2012
muskeeto2: *get a room, guys* lol..
You,Mr muskeeto2, sir, have a very fertile imagination. Hmph!
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ishilove:
You,Mr muskeeto2, sir, have a very fertile imagination. Hmph!
thanks... *wipes tears, first compliment from a xtian*..
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Bella3(f): 8:49pm On Oct 13, 2012
Can i laugh? Pleaseeeee:-D
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Bella3(f): 8:53pm On Oct 13, 2012
@post.
The insults are fun sometimes! DONT TELL ME YOU DNT LAUGH;-D;-D
seriously dnt take everything( especially the insults) you read on this section too seriously, or u'd have a HEART ATTACK.:-D
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 13, 2012
@senbonzakura

"born a christian"? You might be the first of your kind, man.

Anyway, bout yo there post, sometimes telling someone they reason out their backside is being exceedingly generous, not insulting. Regardless, I get your point. I think you should know that mutually exclusive things do not survive together. If, say an atheist believes that there is no God (which in fact he doesn't) and I believe in Jesus, we cannot have existential conversations or even moral conversations or heck any conversation at all that will not end up with one of us capitulating or both of us totally alienating ourselves from each other. That is, unless one or both of us are hypocrites, either of which is almost always the case.

Edited.
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 13, 2012
lol @ 'born a xtian' first of your kind...
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:30pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ihedinobi: @senbonzakura

"born a christian"? You might be the first of your kind, man.

Anyway, bout yo there post, sometimes telling someone they reason out their backside is being exceedingly generous, not insulting. Regardless, I get your point. I think you should know that mutually exclusive things do not survive together. If, say an atheist believes that there is no God (which in fact he doesn't) and I believe in Jesus, we cannot have existential conversations or even moral conversations or heck any conversation at all that will not end up with one of us capitulating or both of us totally alienating ourselves from each other. That is, unless one or both of us are hypocrites, either of which is almost always the case.

Edited.

lolz, just an illustration of how long i've been a christian.
Re: Theists And Atheists, Please Stop The Insults! by Ishilove: 3:19am On Oct 14, 2012
muskeeto2:
thanks... *wipes tears, first compliment from a xtian*..
Get a grip muskeeto, your tears make me uncomfortable angry

(1) (Reply)

A Bible Meeting On Speaking In Tongues. / Have You Ever Got A Jehovah's Witness Saved And Filled With The Holy Ghost / A Christian Drone Pilot Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.