Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,792 members, 7,817,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? (12543 Views)

PWC 2014 Graduate Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by MyVicky: 6:08am On Oct 12, 2012
Which is advisable? To continue working as a contract staff with no job security, marry in such an uncertain condition or take a partial scholarship offer to pursue graduate studies in the United States of America thereby postponing wedding for 2+ years?
It is very pitiable that so many companies still thrive in Nigeria by subjecting graduates to the so called 'contract employment' agreement and the Nigerian graduates are just comfortable with such 'inhuman' and obnoxious terms and agreement. The challenges of a homo sapien are multi faceted; you have got to think about good job, marriage, personal development, advanced degrees and the likes. which one should come first? Should it depend on the individual or circumstances of life?

3 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by MyVicky: 2:05am On Oct 13, 2012
Help needed
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by MyVicky: 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2012
My Vicky: Help needed
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by outrage: 9:11pm On Dec 12, 2012
It depends on what you priorites are, everybody has theirs.
For me as much as I'll like to marry, I'll have to go for the scholarship, then work and marry..
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by MyJwell: 5:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
it depends...how old are you?...if you are a man and below 35...pls go for your studies and thereafter, get yourself a good job to be properly equipped for marriage. Getting married entails a whole lot of responsibilities that requires you to have a good source of income.

2 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Mustay(m): 11:13am On Dec 16, 2012
MyJwell: it depends...how old are you?...if you are a man and below 35...pls go for your studies and thereafter, get yourself a good job to be properly equipped for marriage. Getting married entails a whole lot of responsibilities that requires you to have a good source of income.

The 35 years benchmark seems subjective.

Whatever the age, as long as you're ready for responsibilities, you are good to go.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by DorcasKaruana: 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2012
This is very trick but you need to have your priorities right. If you are old enough to marry; then do it since you even become more responsible. You can still pursue your scholarship while in marriage and even get a stable job while married. Time does not wait for any man so if you are late to marry them you will delay in so many other things.

You still can pursue your goals while married and achieve them. Money will never be enough and there is no time you will say that you are satisfied with a particular job.

www.careerpointkenya.com

6 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Paulipopor: 3:24pm On Dec 17, 2012
The scholarship Makes more sense...personally marriage is not a destination. You'll need to be *equipped* especially financially to carry out the responsibilities of marriage and you present job is not providing you with that opportunity. I'm sure postponing the marriage for another 2 or so years won't spoil* anything.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by dulphines: 5:04pm On Dec 17, 2012
This Contract staffing disease on my mind always!
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by fittty(m): 5:05pm On Dec 17, 2012
smiley
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 17, 2012
Go with the one your heart aches for the most. Surely your partner can wait for 2+ years if there's a concrete reason to trust you. If its marriage that you want, better postpone making babies.

1 Like

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Bishop4bella(m): 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2012
Marriage is nt a must afterall wetin u won't revd father do. No touch ligthin pls.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by dasparrow: 5:10pm On Dec 17, 2012
Dorcas Karuana: This is very trick but you need to have your priorities right. If you are old enough to marry; then do it since you even become more responsible. You can still pursue your scholarship while in marriage and even get a stable job while married. Time does not wait for any man so if you are late to marry them you will delay in so many other things.

You still can pursue your goals while married and achieve them. Money will never be enough and there is no time you will say that you are satisfied with a particular job.

www.careerpointkenya.com

I just want to point out that marriage does not make one responsible. That is a big lie. There are many married people out there who are very irresponsible. Likewise, there are people out there who are single and are responsible. Anyone who is not responsible as a single person will most likely not be responsible as a married person because I don't see how perpetually sharing your home and body with another human being and popping out a couple of kids will automatically make one responsible.

14 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 17, 2012

1 Like

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by yomalex(m): 5:12pm On Dec 17, 2012
It all depends on your dreams and aspirations
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by free2ryhme: 5:13pm On Dec 17, 2012

1 Like

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by biolabee(m): 5:13pm On Dec 17, 2012
Interesting dilemma but I would ask a few Qs before I say anything

Just pick a range

1. Current Job salary range (averahe monthly) 0-50k, 51 - 100k, 101 - 150k, 150-200, >200k

2. Course and University you are considering

3. Do you want to settle there or come back

4. What are the feelers you are getting from your bf

5. Age range <20, 21- 25, 26- 30, >30

When u do this, it gives us a better idea on how to answer u

4 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by tomakint: 5:14pm On Dec 17, 2012
As they say, 'he who fails to plan, is planning to to fail' but the game of life is well beyond that, life is about taking risk and the rest is history, whichever one comes first can be taken but it depends on the dictate of your spirits at that time, many ladies are aging (and remain unmarried as a result of strategising for the right guy, job or whatever), the best you can do is seek for counselling from those who know better but as for taking one first before the others I cannot guarantee the end results. Life is enshrouded in one great Mystery that must be unraveled by us as we take those risks we love to fear!

2 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 17, 2012
only you

thank god for your lives
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
With more insight on the age range, relationship status and current financial status: specific advice can be given rather than generalizing.
Btw; @ 25, if one does not understand the direction of one‘s life and focus. There is need for a rethink.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by ITbomb(m): 5:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
Guy do the Introductions and go for ur studies
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by omiobo: 5:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
Foundation needs to be laid before erecting structure. Think about it

1 Like

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by condralbede(m): 5:19pm On Dec 17, 2012
Well for me oh....i dey enta yankee go finish my studies,come back look for job n den come tink of getting married.more money more bitches.

2 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Roland17(m): 5:20pm On Dec 17, 2012
There is no rule that states that getting married at a particular age assures one of happiness, Marriage does not necessarily guarantee happiness, Maturity, sense of responsibility, fulfillment especially if its entered to please people/ partner....

I would advise you consider taking the scholarship option in the USA if you can afford it, this option would expand your horizon/ opportunities, explore your abilities personally, improve yourself especially in today's saturated job market, that way you are strategically positioned to succeed with the right decisions.

May God help you make a wise decision
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by mrkels(m): 5:22pm On Dec 17, 2012
Get married, then go for your scholarship thingy cheesy
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by claremont(m): 5:32pm On Dec 17, 2012
Take the scholarship option and go and get established. There is no point rushing to get married when you are not stable career-wise. If your Nigerian girlfriend starts putting pressure on you to marry her before you leave, it's best to break up with her and get a replacement in America.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by pato405(m): 5:33pm On Dec 17, 2012
A couple of yrs ago, I was in this same quandary, guess what, I took a big risk, dived into the Uk for postgrad. Now, I sometyms regret such decision, but friends tell me to cheer up, afterall, I have achieved an Msc & also pursuing a PhD via scholarship which came merely by chance/ grace - sheer chance I believe because if I claim it was merit, there were a lot of students from different parts of the world who also applied along side with me. some, as a matter of fact, had very good MSc grades.

In summary, it's not been rosy. if I'll be candid with you, I'll advise you to be strategic. do not resign your job if you must travel out for Msc. it's pretty difficult getting a job abroad in this time of economic quagmire. otherwise, you'll return begging for a job you despised. a study leave will be ideal. there are possibilities of being made a permanent staff when you return with your postgrad cert. if eventually, you get a job in US after MSc, then you can throw in a resignation letter. marriage may not be a bad option, but that decision is left to you. if you find a good lady (which can be difficult these days too) who's willing to support your meagre income, both of you can pull through while you hold on to your current job and advance your studies latter (it's never late). Infact, this might even be the better option.

7 Likes

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by tunapawizzy: 5:41pm On Dec 17, 2012
forget that job, go for ur scholarship, whichever u choose ur marriage can still hold
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by chreldb(m): 5:42pm On Dec 17, 2012
pato405: A couple of yrs ago, I was in this same quandary, guess what, I took a big risk, dived into the Uk for postgrad. Now, I sometyms regret such decision, but friends tell me to cheer up, afterall, I have achieved an Msc & also pursuing a PhD via scholarship which came merely by chance/ grace - sheer chance I believe because if I claim it was merit, there were a lot of students from different parts of the world who also applied along side with me. some, as a matter of fact, had very good MSc grades.

In summary, it's not been rosy. if I'll be candid with you, I'll advise you to be strategic. do not resign your job if you must travel out for Msc. it's pretty difficult getting a job abroad in this time of economic quagmire. otherwise, you'll return begging for a job you despised. a study leave will be ideal. there are possibilities of being made a permanent staff when you return with your postgrad cert. if eventually, you get a job in US after MSc, then you can throw in a resignation letter. marriage may not be a bad option, but that decision is left to you. if you find a good lady (which can be difficult these days too) who's willing to support your meagre income, both of you can pull through while you hold on to your current job and advance your studies latter (it's never late). Infact, this might even be the better option.

@ bolded. Why? If i may ask. #just curious#

1 Like

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Coldfeet(f): 5:43pm On Dec 17, 2012
If you are a woman get married first! Put babies on hold! Then go for your studies.

If a man GO for your studies! Get a good job! Then get married with surplus women available to pick from.

If you are a woman approaching 30! And you listen to those telling you to go for your studies be ready to listen to this same people as they castigate you that you were busy chasing money when your mates were getting married!

Anyway which ever is in line with your goal and purpose for your life! Best of luck.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where To Find ADULT EDUCATION In Lagos: Enter Here / 8 Important Factors Nigeria Fresh Graduate Needs To Check Before Submitting Cv / How Much Will It Cost To Start A Music Career In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.