Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,351 members, 7,819,253 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade (2382 Views)

My Village Masquarade / History Of Eyo Festival / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by adeara(m): 8:13am On Oct 12, 2012
Eyo is a popular Lagosian masquarae, no doubt about that. But, why is it always wearing a hat? And, why white hat and not other colors
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by atuagbo: 8:50am On Oct 12, 2012
adeara: Eyo is a popular Lagosian masquarae, no doubt about that. But, why is it always wearing a hat? And, why white hat and not other colors

JAMB question
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:11am On Oct 13, 2012
there are different colours representing different families and also the deities they worship (i think).
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by aljharem(m): 10:28am On Oct 13, 2012
adeara: Eyo is a popular Lagosian masquarae, no doubt about that. But, why is it always wearing a hat? And, why white hat and not other colors

Nope their are different colours to the hat depending on the family/clan they are representing
the colours I know are purple, red, black the popular white, green and blue. These colours are to show the part of eko you are from.
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by ifyalways(f): 11:01am On Oct 13, 2012
What does the wide brimmed hat signify or represent ?

I learnt its also referred to "adamu Orisha" . Adamu normally is a hausa name, does it mean something else in Yoruba?
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by Ngodigha: 2:39pm On Oct 13, 2012
Eyo in Lagos is a joke. It is meaningless. If one wants to see masquerades or know about masquerades, they should come to Igboland or eastern Nigeria.
Have a look at this eyo here, does it mean anthing to you. What a joke called eyo.

Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:42pm On Oct 15, 2012
^^^^cmon dont be so mean. so what that man riding a bike in Eyo COstume is a good sign and portrays how trad. religion is progressive and unhindered by changing times. angry

1 Like

Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by DuduNegro: 2:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
ifyalways: What does the wide brimmed hat signify or represent ?

I learnt its also referred to "adamu Orisha" . Adamu normally is a hausa name, does it mean something else in Yoruba?

The hat was styled to copy the wide brimmed ceremonial crown worn by Lagos kings in the past.

This Adamu Orisa is the same as Adam and from where the hausa Adamu came from. In Yorubaland Adamu Orisa is a deity of the earth and is connected with Ogboni which is the mystical order of the earth.
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by adeara(m): 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2012
did they started eyo masquarade festival with d use of d hat or hat was latter introduce
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by ifyalways(f): 4:38pm On Oct 15, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

The hat was styled to copy the wide brimmed ceremonial crown worn by Lagos kings in the past.

This Adamu Orisa is the same as Adam and from where the hausa Adamu came from. In Yorubaland Adamu Orisa is a deity of the earth and is connected with Ogboni which is the mystical order of the earth.
Chief negro !
Thanks.
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by aljharem(m): 10:40pm On Oct 15, 2012
adeara: did they started eyo masquarade festival with d use of d hat or hat was latter introduce

It was started with the use of the hat.
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by DuduNegro: 9:31am On Oct 16, 2012
Evensef our dear Gej and Sambo had hats made for them....in Nigerian color of course grin

Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by adeara(m): 7:42pm On Oct 16, 2012
thank u dudu negro. but do dat mean every body in eyo family has d rit 2 wear 1 and is it all d time or only durin festival
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by StarFlux: 12:06am On Oct 17, 2012
Who can dress like Eyo?
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by aljharem(m): 2:32am On Oct 17, 2012
StarFlux: Who can dress like Eyo?

Eko families.
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by DuduNegro: 5:35am On Oct 17, 2012
adeara: thank u dudu negro. but do dat mean every body in eyo family has d rit 2 wear 1 and is it all d time or only durin festival

Yes, every family member of the Eyo family is qualified to participate and wear the costume but only during the event. Howevet not all of them use that qualification.

There are four aspects to the Eyo festival

1. the ritual
2. the parade
3. the fraternal bonding
4. the visitations

The ritual starts days before the event.

The event day opens with a cleansing where the deity Eyo themselves come out very early and bless the day. Then the ruling houses Eyo follow for the parade of colors and gaiety and fanfare. The parade outing promotes fraternity and bonding between the rulers and the wards and their families and also for visitors and guests.

The Eyo must retire back home before sunset. No Eyo must be out when Adimu comes out. After dark, Adimu itself comes out. Adimu must pay visit to all the royal family quarters and exchange greetings and pleasantries with their lineage head. Adimu will also stop at two very important places on its way to visit at the Oba's palace.

1. The Idito shrine
2. The Ado shrine

1 Like

Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by adeara(m): 9:34am On Oct 17, 2012
i gues dudu negro is wel verse in lagos culture, pls can u tel me d name of d head cover of d so call 'wite cap lagos chief'
Re: Eyo: Lagosians Masquarade by ifyalways(f): 9:55am On Oct 17, 2012
Related question, is oro a masquerade or a festival?

In places like Ajiran, ikate etc(lagos) I learnt they observe "oro" every 7 or 8 days midnight to dawn only. Why's that?the oro I know is celebrated once every 4 years or so.

(1) (Reply)

IGBO AMAKA! This 5 Photos Will Make You Fall In Love With Igbo Culture. (PHOTOS) / 2017: Six Richest Kings In Nigeria [video] / Yoruba And Igbo Are Virtually The Same Language - Just Different Pronunciations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.