Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

My Village Masquarade - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Village Masquarade (30336 Views)

Big Python Saved In My Village(pics) / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Sacrilege In My Village Where Man Lure His Brother And Wife For Cleansing....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 08, 2015
ATU,UGO dunno the names of others sha

5 Likes

Re: My Village Masquarade by Greyworld: 9:14pm On Jan 08, 2015
Do dey flog women?...... Which village by d way
edozie04:
ATU,UGO dunno the names of others sha
Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2015
more

1 Like

Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2015

3 Likes

Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2015
more

2 Likes

Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 08, 2015

1 Like

Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 08, 2015
Greyworld:
Do dey flog women?...... Which village by d way
yes they do, women, men and mostly children . The village is akwu ukwu in anambra state, there is one, very large that it's forbidden to snap it, reason being that it will hunt u although I do not believe in such but prevention is better than cure

5 Likes

Re: My Village Masquarade by achinaboy(m): 11:47pm On Jan 08, 2015
nice
Re: My Village Masquarade by ireneony(f): 2:40am On Jan 09, 2015
With this kind of pix am seeing I hope not to dream of masquerade this night....
Scaring embarassed

2 Likes

Re: My Village Masquarade by Greyworld: 6:29am On Jan 09, 2015
edozie04:
yes they do, women, men and mostly children . The village is akwu ukwu in anambra state, there is one, very large that it's forbidden to snap it, reason being that it will hunt u although I do not believe in such but prevention is better than cure

I swear prevention is beta dan cure ma broda, I prefer watchin em on screen ..... Nyc one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Village Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:05am On Jan 09, 2015
Nice pics. The Gods bless your village.

Some look original ancient ones wheras some are more crude and of recent make.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 09, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
Nice pics. The Gods bless your village.

Some look original ancient ones wheras some are more crude and of recent make.
yea some are ancient like the ugo and atu ie the white and the black one, they have been around since I was born, the others are very recent ones
Re: My Village Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:29pm On Jan 09, 2015
edozie04:
yea some are ancient like the ugo and atu ie the white and the black one, they have been around since I was born, the others are very recent ones

Hmm...this shows that what was once an elaborate spiritual ritual. A dance to portray spirit beings and possibly solve problems through an oracle with sacrifice has now become nothing. Just a shell of what it once was. It has become the very name that dem oyinbo used to deride it. A Circus "Masquerade" just for entertainment.

but i dont know the ground situation now in Igboland . I cannot judge. Nor can i say if these new additions are to depict newly passed spirits lyk that whiteman masquerade i see there. Such innovations are common in Paganism though keeping the base intact. For example in our Hausa Boori we have the very old spirits of the bush and nature and other forces and then we have the newer additions in the possesions. Some of Hausa soldiers serving the french in world war 11, fulbe herders, etc.

So im not sure whether these new additons are for pure entertainment masquerading purpose or for something much deeper for a reason.

4 Likes

Re: My Village Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:32pm On Jan 09, 2015
Which one did u say is the black and white one?
Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 09, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

Hmm...this shows that what was once an elaborate spiritual ritual. A dance to portray spirit beings and possibly solve problems through an oracle with sacrifice has now become nothing. Just a shell of what it once was. It has become the very name that dem oyinbo used to deride it. A Circus "Masquerade" just for entertainment.

but i dont know the ground situation now in Igboland . I cannot judge. Nor can i say if these new additions are to depict newly passed spirits lyk that whiteman masquerade i see there. Such innovations are common in Paganism though keeping the base intact. For example in our Hausa Boori we have the very old spirits of the bush and nature and other forces and then we have the newer additions in the possesions. Some of Hausa soldiers serving the french in world war 11, fulbe herders, etc.

So im not sure whether these new additons are for pure entertainment masquerading purpose or for something much deeper for a reason.
yea you are correct, the white man masquerade usually comes out when a human passes on, so as the black but others comes during christmas, easter and the death of anybody but the white and black just during funerals
Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 09, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
Which one did u say is the black and white one?
black one is called atu while the white ugo
Re: My Village Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:46pm On Jan 09, 2015
edozie04:
yea you are correct, the white man masquerade usually comes out when a human passes on, so as the black but others comes during christmas, easter and the death of anybody but the white and black just during funerals

Hmm...and how come these 'Spirit dances' got associated with christian festivals? There is some serious corruption in the traditional sector in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My Village Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:47pm On Jan 09, 2015
edozie04:
black one is called atu while the white ugo

No i mean in the picture which one r u referring to the black and white one?
Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 09, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

No i mean in the picture which one r u referring to the black and white one?
black one is the 1 that looks like a buffalo (shhh I can be flogged for saying this) and the white one is the eagle and itz the recent ones that are associated with christian festivals like I said earlier atu and ugo comes out only doing funerals

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Village Masquarade by TerryCarr(m): 6:21pm On Jan 09, 2015
cool pics
Re: My Village Masquarade by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:30pm On Jan 09, 2015
edozie04:
black one is the 1 that looks like a buffalo (shhh I can be flogged for saying this) and the white one is the eagle and itz the recent ones that are associated with christian festivals like I said earlier atu and ugo comes out only doing funerals

Oh ok thank you very much. Totemic nature spirits. Dual colour symbolism.

what about the second pic? The one with big teeth and horns?
Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 09, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

Oh ok thank you very much. Totemic nature spirits. Dual colour symbolism.

what about the second pic? The one with big teeth and horns?
Dunno the name though but itz known to be very aggressive, heard a case about it cutting someone with machete,I had to keep an arm's lenght away from it
Re: My Village Masquarade by reaky(m): 8:22pm On Jan 09, 2015
Nice work of Art

2 Likes

Re: My Village Masquarade by omanifrank(m): 8:23pm On Jan 09, 2015
ahahaha
Re: My Village Masquarade by gistmelove(m): 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2015
Ok ooo

omo yoruba ni mi ooo

swagger..

My village masquared...

Jus hit like.. If u rep yoruba....

Please mi ooo force yi ooo

eheh...

grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Village Masquarade by nelson212(m): 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
This one Na juju or Na play?
Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
I thought spirits don't appear in pictures undecided
Re: My Village Masquarade by elantraceey(f): 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
irritating embarassed
Re: My Village Masquarade by donmalcolm21(m): 8:26pm On Jan 09, 2015
Nice
Re: My Village Masquarade by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 09, 2015
They look local...

Abeg where ur village dey?
Re: My Village Masquarade by jnrbayano(m): 8:27pm On Jan 09, 2015
edozie04:

The best decision you have taken all your life

Also check the thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/2068125/masquerade-good-yuletide-season
Re: My Village Masquarade by Ekiseme(m): 8:27pm On Jan 09, 2015
Mmonwu chukwu

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Know Truth About Agwu Spirit And Your Destiny / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Visits Sultan Of Sokoto (Photos) / Ooni Of Ife Visits Awujale Of Ijebuland (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.