Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife (1253 Views)

Masturbating Men ‘will Find Their Hands Pregnant In The Afterlife’- / Death, Hell & The Afterlife / Ihedinobi And Image 123 let's scripturally discuss the afterlife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by LordReed(m): 1:39am On Oct 13, 2012
As a neurosurgeon, I did not believe in the
phenomenon of near-death experiences. I grew up
in a scientific world, the son of a neurosurgeon. I
followed my father’s path and became an academic
neurosurgeon, teaching at Harvard Medical School
and other universities. I understand what happens
to the brain when people are near death, and I had
always believed there were good scientific
explanations for the heavenly out-of-body journeys
described by those who narrowly escaped death.
The brain is an astonishingly sophisticated but

Source: www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-heaven-a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 3:20am On Oct 13, 2012
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by LordReed(m): 7:15am On Oct 13, 2012
wiegraf: Heh heh. This guy?
www.nairaland.com/1070021/7-days-out-of-body-odyssey-convinces

Oh my bad didn't see that there.
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 8:19am On Oct 13, 2012
Double post
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 8:19am On Oct 13, 2012
Why good ser? Fairly obscure topic, anyone would assume it hasn't reached our shores yet.
Do you think he has a case?
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by LordReed(m): 3:50pm On Oct 13, 2012
My mobile acted up while I was posting that's why its a double post.

The fact that the man appeared to have no stimuli in his cerebral cortex made this story interesting to me. As we've come to know consciousness and brain activity are closely linked but apparently it may be that there is another part of our active thought processes that is not brain-linked. Could be what is refered to as the soul? Doesn't it make you just wonder?
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 4:45pm On Oct 13, 2012
Lord_Reed: My mobile acted up while I was posting that's why its a double post.

The fact that the man appeared to have no stimuli in his cerebral cortex made this story interesting to me. As we've come to know consciousness and brain activity are closely linked but apparently it may be that there is another part of our active thought processes that is not brain-linked. Could be what is refered to as the soul? Doesn't it make you just wonder?

It seemed to me from the onset he was doing the science wrong, but yes of course it would make one wonder if his claims were valid. I'm a materialist (I think that's what it's called, I'm not too big on philosophy) though and would always look for a physical explanation. I would assume there was one we just couldn't find even if we immediately didn't find it. That's just a personal philosophy thing though

Here's a neuroscientist's take on it
http://m.samharris.org/blog/item/this-must-be-heaven
Well known atheist though, so of course better to corroborate with others (to be fair, he does attempt that in his article).

And here's how I think science should be done. Long video, but EXCELLENT (subjective, I know, very good nevertheless). Note one the scientists actions after his mother's death, despite being in deep grief. Not all of us are capable of that, but the goal is to aid humanity now, which he may have succeeded in doing, and he has inadvertently immortalized her, her memory standing for something good.
I especially love the bit about patterns, generally this video relates strongly to the experiences of this surgeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm971ltF44A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dvm971ltF44A
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by LordReed(m): 5:18pm On Oct 13, 2012
@wiegraf
I haven't watched the video yet but Sam Harris is incisive which brings me to a question. Have you had any experiences that could be referred to as paranormal/supernatural/spiritual?
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 5:26pm On Oct 13, 2012
Lord_Reed: @wiegraf
I haven't watched the video yet but Sam Harris is incisive which brings me to a question. Have you had any experiences that could be referred to as paranormal/supernatural/spiritual?

No, don't think so. Except maybe the sleeping awake (winchie pressing you in your sleep smiley) and minor things, perhaps some lucid dreams and what not
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by LordReed(m): 7:56pm On Oct 13, 2012
wiegraf:

No, don't think so. Except maybe the sleeping awake (winchie pressing you in your sleep smiley) and minor things, perhaps some lucid dreams and what not

How about deja vu's? What do you think of them?
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 8:18pm On Oct 13, 2012
Lord_Reed:

How about deja vu's? What do you think of them?

Never really have any strong ones, except for certain dreams. I think they're biological in nature.
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by LordReed(m): 8:53pm On Oct 13, 2012
wiegraf:

Never really have any strong ones, except for certain dreams. I think they're biological in nature.

What about premonitions? Ever had any?
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 9:17pm On Oct 13, 2012
Lord_Reed:

What about premonitions? Ever had any?

Non of those either, nothing strong. Even if I did, I'd probably chalk it up to some rational reason I'm consciously unaware of, even for unlikely situations.
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by LordReed(m): 8:25am On Oct 14, 2012
Why I ask all these is because I have always wondered at how an atheist would view some of these "paranormal" events that seem to be universal and not tied to any particular religious belief. Could it be that man is a spiritual creature whether or not he has any strong religious belief?
Re: Heaven Is Real: A Doctor’s Experience With The Afterlife by wiegraf: 11:48am On Oct 14, 2012
Lord_Reed: Why I ask all these is because I have always wondered at how an atheist would view some of these "paranormal" events that seem to be universal and not tied to any particular religious belief. Could it be that man is a spiritual creature whether or not he has any strong religious belief?

I don't have numbers, but yes a few people would be more attracted to spirituality than others. Women for instance, who are usually people oriented (rather than results oriented) tend towards spiritual. There are dudes that are people oriented too (also women that are not). That video also shows a few things, and there are many atheists that are spiritual in one way or the other. So some people are inclined towards it, imo

(1) (Reply)

Haunted Or Gifted? / Outrage Over Beheading Of Sri Lankan Woman By Saudi Arabia - Is This SHARIA? / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.