Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " (13164 Views)

Things You Should Know Before Buying That Casement Windows / Quality Aluminium works by Perfect Touch Aluminium. Casement with burglary / Offer:> Aluminium Casement Window With Mosquito Net And Burglary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 7:43am On Oct 14, 2012
Good day Nairalander's .

Just need some advise here guys

Am in the process of doing my windows and doors in a 3 bedrooms Bungalow somewhere in Ibadan .

I got quotes for both sliding window and casement window .

Can you please advise, which one is the best and what do you think might be the different .

i know with casement you get 100% ventilation and sliding its 50% ventilation .

In price, sliding is cheaper and difference is way too much...

I just want to know if there is any more difference .

Also, if there is any aluminum person here, you might be needed to get a job done for me .

People please your advise will be appreciated .

Thanks
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by Jussi(m): 11:55am On Oct 14, 2012
@jot01

You have done very well for yourself to get to this stage in your project, kudos. Building projects can be fun but also bring a lot of frustrations. Here is what I did in my own project...

I took two aluminium fabricators to my building site at different times, took measurements and obtained their quotes for both the sliding & casement windows. Ask for a breakdown of the required materials. Compare the lists and you will deduce the following:

In some cases, casement can be double the price of sliding windows. Even without knowing the size of your project, glass alone won't cost more than 20k. This means that most of your money will be spent on profiles and accessories rather than on glass. Accessories contribute a great deal to the cost of casement windows. Based on your budget, urgency, purpose of building (own residence or rental), you will decide whether or not to embark on casement windows.

Reality is that you can construct sliding windows in phases, such that you instal frames and thereafter the framed glasses. In contrast, most casement windows are built together with frames and installed as one whole piece.

Find a friend or relative who is somewhat knowledgeable in aluminium work. Let him help you to negotiate for labor with aluminum fabricator. If the latter agrees to list & quantify the required materials, compare with your other quotes and ask to buy the materials. The fabricator cuts, mills, assembles and installs your windows. Truth is that dubious ones will always play pranks in terms of material quantities, if you don't have an experienced person around. It's quite easy to mix local and foreign materials, thus explaining why you can buy your materials.
However, I believe that you can find honest fabricators who will give their best services if you treat them right.

All the best...

1 Like

Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 2:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
@Jusi, Thank you very much, your comment is much appreciated. I do understand you perfectly. The fact is am not in Nigeria and really not sure if it will be my country home or rent it out, funnest part is am also a property consultant here in SA and deal with properties everyday , I have been trying all the way to use best material on the property. Am just trying to cut cost but tryin to see if it worth spending lot casement if I can spend little on sliding. The guy said the difference is ventilation. Loll. Casement is 100% and Sliding is 50% vent. I joke with him and said, if I will be staying there, I will have Gen 24hrs and aircon and fan will be there as am not use to be in a place without electricity. I will put up the photos sometimes soon. More comment and advise are welcome
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 3:01pm On Oct 14, 2012
Also, I was told using local material is the best, expensive and durable. But imported materials are not durable. Please, how true is this ! Advise oooo , abeg
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 7:25pm On Oct 14, 2012
Waiting for responds from Nairalander's, Only Jussi gave an advice, I will take that and just follow my instinct. But won't mind if I get more advise here.
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 5:45am On Oct 15, 2012
Still waiting on more comments. Aluminium guys, this might be a contract for you, why not drop a comment. The Windows are 5x4 and 4x4. Total window is 15 windows. Small Toilet window too. A quote or rough estimates on casement and Sliding will be appreciated. Thank you guys.
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 10:26am On Oct 15, 2012
Please REPLY needed....
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by Jussi(m): 10:57am On Oct 15, 2012
Truth is that you won't find a real aluminium fabricator on this forum, maybe a contractor. All my trusted aluminium guys are located in Abuja, which is where all my aluminium work are done and transported back to the East. Abuja has the largest stock & best quality materials in the region, located at the famous dumez/kaduna Rd market complex.

Have you got any quotes from around Ibadan? You may get some constructive comments by posting them here, you never know...
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2012
Thank you Jussi.

Tell me, did you go for the Sliding or the Casement .

Still thought of going with the sliding once as i have the cash to do it now or wait to gather some funds together for Casement .

Thank you once again .

God Bless
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by Jussi(m): 1:17pm On Oct 15, 2012
I went for casement and my main reason was to maximize air flow. Don't get me wrong, sliding windows can be pretty and the risk of post installation breakages is minimal compared to casement.

Follow your mind bro. But unless you have real urgency to mount the windows, waiting for a few months to save up ain't a bad idea.
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 1:21pm On Oct 15, 2012
Thank you very Much Sir .

Will see to that .
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by Jussi(m): 1:36pm On Oct 15, 2012
It was my pleasure, all the best
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by jot01(m): 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2012
Always welcome
Re: Sliding Window Or Casement Window " Please Advise " by Charlesjackson: 11:13am On Mar 12, 2015
Hi,
I don’t have much knowledge about the area you mentioned here. The material and labor cost may vary with location and the contractor. I am recommending you casement windows. They have more advantages than sliding windows. Casement windows are good at catching side breezes. Another important advantage is that they provides more security. Because casement windows are harder to break. Also casement windows are available in different varieties and models. I have five casement windows in my home. All of them are energy efficient windows. It was installed by Landmark home solutions in Ontario about 2 years before.

(1) (Reply)

. / Fully Equipped 4 Bedrooms fully detached Duplex for sale At AGUNGI #Hurry now / Beautify Your House Ceiling With Pop(call For Best Price)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.