Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com (5322 Views)

Igbos Were The Proto-Bantus -Igbodefender.com / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com / The Igbos Of Bonny- Igbodefender.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 1:51pm On Oct 14, 2012
Posted on October 11, 2012 by Prince Charles Oforkaja

“At the Yoruba Center in Havana, Cuba Prof. Acholonu had this to state: “I saw among the Yoruba pantheon of gods at the center, the statue of a god named Obatala whose inscription/explanation read: Father of the Igbo nation…”

IGBODEFENDER.COM’S COMMENT
According to history Obatala was the title of the pre-existing kings of the Igbo nation in Ile Ife. These were the Igbos whose king (Obatala Oreluere), Queen Moremi married. They are today’s Anioma/Lukumi people, and an ancient civilization in their own right.

The Anioma roots go way back to the Nri area of Igboland, from where they started an ilu to the Ife area (today’s Yorubaland).

After the Moremi affair, the headquarters of the Anioma/Lukumi nation became the Onitsha and Iseleukwu kingdoms.

Other notable Anioma kingdoms include, but are not limited to:
•Olukwumi- named after the old Lukumi/ Ife/ Uhe kingdom/empire of the Igbos.

•Oguta (Imo State)-which retained the ancient Obatala title of ‘ Obi Osere Igbo’ . The Osere is in charge of the Owu festival of Oguta.

•Ogbaland, which preserves the Obatala’s Ife title of Oba Igbo, through their king’s Oba title.

•Onitsha Ugbo, which is a nostalgic combination of the words ‘Orisha’ and ‘Ugbo’.

Ezechima, who was the last Igbo titular prince in Benin as well as Crown Prince of the Igbos of Ife, retained some Benin titles as a result of a peace treaty with Ogiso Owodo, the last Ogiso of Benin.

Sources
http://chatafrik.com/articles/nigerian-affairs/item/394-the-origin-and-meaning-of-the-word-%E2%80%9Cigbo%E2%80%9D-a-response-to-ozodi-osuji%E2%80%99s-dilemma.html

Equianoism, by Prince Charles Offokaja

http://www.edo-nation.net/akenzua1.htm

Author: Prince Charles Offokaja

Copyright © 2012 IgboDefender.com
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by aljharem(m): 8:30pm On Oct 14, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO !!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by demmie1: 9:17pm On Oct 14, 2012
this is the silliest piece of crap ever written! OMG! when did this come up into a human imagination?! if this is true, then obatala created the world.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 9:55am On Oct 15, 2012
@ demmie1
Which part of the article is "silly crap"? The description of Obatala by the Cuban Lukumi people, or the fact that all the above mentioned towns mentioned exist in Igboland today? Or the historical fact of Igbos being the aborigins of Ile Ife? Please read about Moremi.
This is history, not crap.

2 Likes

Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by aljharem(m): 10:42pm On Oct 15, 2012
belltwelve: @ demmie1
Which part of the article is "silly crap"? The description of Obatala by the Cuban Lukumi people, or the fact that all the above mentioned towns mentioned exist in Igboland today? Or the historical fact of Igbos being the aborigins of Ile Ife? Please read about Moremi.
This is history, not crap.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LMAO !!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by Dede1(m): 2:32am On Oct 16, 2012
Yoruba, as we know them today, do not belong to the areas they currently occupy. If the testimonies of Oyo Empire and the debacle it had with Nupe and Fulani Caliphate, Yoruba retreated from the northern region to southwestern region of what is known as Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 7:47am On Oct 16, 2012
@ AljHarem, please read the quote below, sourced from: http://yorubanation.net/about/

"They (the Yorubas) came to Ile-Ife and fought and conquered the pre-existing Igbo ... After the dispersal, THE ABORIGINES, THE IGBO, became difficult, and constituted a serious threat to the survival of Ife."

Now, what does that tell you?
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by PhysicsQED(m): 9:54am On Oct 16, 2012
@ belltwelve, this stuff has been discussed before. It's not that hard to figure out who the aboriginal inhabitants of Ife were said to be in some accounts:

https://www.nairaland.com/894542/there-experts-traditional-igbo-religion/1#11458366

https://www.nairaland.com/979183/ask-pleep-nairaland-resident-history/1#11492076

If one wants to find out more about the aboriginal inhabitants of Ife besides what has been written in books or what is available in articles, their best bet is probably to go to Ondo state, and speak with Ugbo elders and traditional rulers there directly.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ifyalways(f): 5:41pm On Oct 16, 2012
Una go kill pesin for this Nld.what's
up with all the theories ? Chai

I guess Onicha = Orisha cheesy
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by Abagworo(m): 7:47pm On Oct 16, 2012
Kudos to whoever crafted this crap. It is as true as Igbos originating from Israel.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 12:12am On Oct 19, 2012
Moremi, a Yoruba woman from Offa, helped the Yoruba of Ife win the above mentioned victory over the Igbo aborigines of Ile Ife. I think she even has a hostel named after her in MAULAG, Lagos."
History is not crap, otherwise the government would not waste their time naming a hostel after her.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by belltwelve(m): 12:28am On Oct 19, 2012
@ Physics QED
Igbo and Yorubas have a deeper history than meets the eye. We have interacted for centuries, and should be comfortable interacting today, like England and France in Europe.

Do you know that some English people originated from France, and it is not denied by either country today? Ask Yoruba historians and they will tell you that Igbos were aboriginal to Ife.

Obatala was an Igbo king, hence his title of Obi Osere Igbo.

Yes we can Africa!
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by PhysicsQED(m): 2:19am On Oct 19, 2012
The ancestors of English people that came from France (the Normans), were originally from somewhere else. Anyway, if you didn't understand my post, that's okay. I just thought maybe I could provide an explanation for what you seemed to be confused about.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 7:45pm On Dec 03, 2013
Although, i do not believe Igbos are aborigins of Ife, what I know is Igbo in my dialect mean quest. Not only that, so much 'Igbo centric' word exist in Yoruba which, if set free will enrich Igbo history, and Africas antiquity. Why do we (Yoruba) call the Igbos OKORO? Where did the Yoruba get Obanikoro from? Right beside me in the bus, I just ask an Igbo dude what OKORO means (we are traveling tru Apongbon) he said "young person" my eyes collect tears. Few weeks ago I came to believe strongly that Obanikoro means "a king at childhood" why because 'omo-ira-koro' (todler) exist in Yoruba. Now the Yoruba eliminate omo ira to have Obanikoro. They ovewrite it
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 8:09pm On Dec 03, 2013
The implication of this is, the Igbos are 'young brother' to Yoruba in ancient world. They came with the Yoruba in the epochal migration.Well I was not looking for Igbo history in Yoruba all day long.R ather, I was actually looking for traditional validation of the tale of Olowu, before I I can belief it, so I tried Oba-ni ikoko, then Obanikoro just drop in. But I know OKORO is akin to OKORO MADU,. So I dig a bit further. Why shouldnt I. Dont hold back useful information to justify hate, the world already have enough of it. Now I know why OBJ likes Ibos, he is from Owu.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2013
We are at OBANIKORO now, the traffic flow is normal, well my Igbo informant is named, franklin. Yeah, Mr. Frannkline. thanks
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by olumidaie(m): 9:04pm On Dec 03, 2013
ladionline: Although, i do not believe Igbos are aborigins of Ife, what I know is Igbo in my dialect mean quest. Not only that, so much 'Igbo centric' word exist in Yoruba which, if set free will enrich Igbo history, and Africas antiquity. Why do we (Yoruba) call the Igbos OKORO? Where did the Yoruba get Obanikoro from? Right beside me in the bus, I just ask an Igbo dude what OKORO means (we are traveling tru Apongbon) he said "young person" my eyes collect tears. Few weeks ago I came to believe strongly that Obanikoro means "a king at childhood" why because 'omo-ira-koro' (todler) exist in Yoruba. Now the Yoruba eliminate omo ira to have Obanikoro. They ovewrite it

obanikoro is not a yoruba name; it is a bini name. obanikoro and some chiefs were sent by the oba of bini to counsel and guide prince ado after the conquest of awori. the binis later renamed the place eko: meaning war camp.

1 Like

Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 9:32pm On Dec 03, 2013
How I fear to run into rigid opinions that answer all in one. I am from Ado, so recall that the first Oba of Lagos is Ado. Give me the benefit of the doubt and find out more about this errant thought overnight. It is rushed, you may be right. What does 'bini' mean?
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by MetaPhysical: 10:30pm On Dec 03, 2013
olumidaie:

obanikoro is not a yoruba name; it is a bini name. obanikoro and some chiefs were sent by the oba of bini to counsel and guide prince ado after the conquest of awori. the binis later renamed the place eko: meaning war camp.

Bini did not go to Lagos to conquer Awori, they went, on invitation of Awori, to deter Dahomey from occupying them.

Ladi, Obanikoro is one of the Ogalade chiefs (priest) title that came with Ado from Bini.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 10:43pm On Dec 03, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Bini did not go to Lagos to conquer Awori, they went, on invitation of Awori, to deter Dahomey from occupying them.

Ladi, Obanikoro is one of the Ogalade chiefs (priest) title that came with Ado from Bini.
Thanx meta, you ought to understand the antics of chauvinism that it is often done to fan the ember of war. Soon, all sort of slander will follow.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by macof(m): 10:48pm On Dec 03, 2013
demmie1: this is the silliest piece of crap ever written! OMG! when did this come up into a human imagination?! if this is true, then obatala created the world.
Actually it was Oduduwa that created the world/earth
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 11:36pm On Dec 03, 2013
Obanikoro is Yoruba word, bini too is Yoruba word. The Aworis were not conquered by bini. The stories we were taught are amalgam. Don't we have Ikorodu in Yoruba? Do we have okorodua? IkorOdu-Oga. Let's stretch it a bit: IKORO-ODU-OGA. KORO in Yoruba always go like this: ATA-KORO-wonu-ADO. The keywords are present in cap. A friend once asked me: "please, what is 'IKO-KORO?'" I have no idea. So he said 'poor you, it is the SMALLEST yam'. WOW "Is it like KOKO?" (cocoyam)? I asked. ''Oh yes,'' he said. Did the Yoruba learn the syllable and application from bini? I dont think so.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 11:52pm On Dec 03, 2013
What I mean by Olowu story is this, there is a tradition that says 'Owu la koda,' he (Owu) was the first to wear crown among Yoruba princelings, Odua crown him as a crying todler (AKE, OWU) to pacify him as a child, then the name ake (or owu) ('wailer') stuck.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 12:22am On Dec 04, 2013
OKORODUA: OKORO ODUA? That would mean 'junior', 'midget' or 'small' Oduduwa. Obani-KORO would be 'a king right from crawling(where koro is adjective of ra).' Then IKORO-DU-OGA, would mean 'small (one from) ODU, the leader. FINALLY (i'm going to bed!) The Yoruba speaks of EjIGBO-OKORO. Why put the words that can trigger comparative studies together in one phrase?
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by olumidaie(m): 1:33am On Dec 04, 2013
ladionline: Obanikoro is Yoruba word, bini too is Yoruba word. The Aworis were not conquered by bini. The stories we were taught are amalgam. Don't we have Ikorodu in Yoruba? Do we have okorodua? IkorOdu-Oga. Let's stretch it a bit: IKORO-ODU-OGA. KORO in Yoruba always go like this: ATA-KORO-wonu-ADO. The keywords are present in cap. A friend once asked me: "please, what is 'IKO-KORO?'" I have no idea. So he said 'poor you, it is the SMALLEST yam'. WOW "Is it like KOKO?" (cocoyam)? I asked. ''Oh yes,'' he said. Did the Yoruba learn the syllable and application from bini? I dont think so.

sorry to say this but most of what you have being writing in this topic and others are crap.

you are trying to deduce the etymology of yoruba words/names and towns without concrete historiography: ikorodu is from "oko odu" or something like that. it means forest of something( i have forgottten but i will post the various 19th century maps of it. it is an ijebu town. this is not guess work, it is something taught in history.

again, about the fellow that stated that i was wrong on eko, i laugh at you:
in 1629, some bini traders en route modern ghana for trade in spice were attacked thrice by coastal awori people. bini responded by sending a 10 000 strong army to conquer it: at a eastern fortification, they were halted till they usd portugese sailors with their canons to bombard the fort. they were later WELCOMED PACEFULLY to awori to be their ruler(though some nowadays idejo-white cap chiefs disagree with this.

the link with dahomey is false because dahomey(abombey-meaning within the rampart) was just formed then: it never had any military history with bini.

for further enquiry: check wikipedia info on awori and dahomey. though wiki is usually wrong on african history, they got their fact well on this.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 6:51am On Dec 04, 2013
^^You are right to believe that I'm posting crap. But your historiograph is tainted with chauvinism and from that you wont see the thin line that seperate truth from falsehood. With chauvinism intact in you, all you will be seeing is 'scholarship of war', and none of peace. Please, did the war mark the beginning of Edo/Awori relations?
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 7:31am On Dec 04, 2013
The tradition of Lagos/Bini relation is what the old historians of Lagos gave us, that when there was crisis between Aina Elewure and people who killed her cat, (OLOGBO). She sent for Oba Ado, lest the crisis degenerate. Then Oba Ado send army to Lagos to rescue the situation, (please see John Losi work on this). It is this simple story you are inviting Portuguese and their canon to conquer a mythical place call awori, but that's megalomaniac fervour to the tradition at a very long stretch.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 7:55am On Dec 04, 2013
Well the guy that said you are wrong on eko was right, you are wrong. EKO IS YORUBA WORD, PLEASE! The word is Yoruba martial parlance that means 'unplunderable' this is ultimately from this expression: 'logun-leko' which mean 'infant terrible' or 'strongy' to the users. But word for word, the phrase mean 'have fighters [logun, ni omo ogun], hard to plunder' [leko, le lati KO ni eru]. More like it, okoo is Yoruba equivalent for 'score' or 20, which also mean Ogun. In Dahomeh, 'Ko' means 20. [E]ko is [E]gun, like this: egun le nimi, mii seni a gba loju...
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 8:47am On Dec 04, 2013
^^Well all i am trying to do here is simple, some root words have camourflag qualities. Today however, we pay attention to other flexible details like oral traditions build around them and neglet the word that has the root itself. You can do anything with the fruit, but you can't always shift the root. The best is to allow the root words to be exermine scientifically or independently, so we can learn something new from some 'crappy-thingz'. Tomorrow can be reserve for war.
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 9:46am On Dec 04, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 9:47am On Dec 04, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Baba meta, salute. You know too much, you are right in the heart of the story on Awori/Dahomey. The one that first was, happened at inception, before the one of Yoruba civil war of 19th century. The old one gave us the saying 'ija olowu pelu olubadan koni pare lailai' It was said to have been caused by Osun, over Nkan, that Olowu promised river Osun before his passage to go to war. Do you have the myth I'm talking about? Olowu had forgotten that he has a princess named nnkan, when he was promising Osun nnkan. Meanwhile nnkan was bethroted to Olowu by Olubadan. Osun claimed nnkan and fight ensued between Olowu and Olubadan. I wont break it, but you are capable of breaking the code, I trust you meta. What is nkan? clue: lesi ma bomo Alakese dule baba tie? O sewor!
Re: Obatala, King Of The Igbo Nation- Igbodefender.com by ladionline: 9:47am On Dec 04, 2013
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Tribe Is The Best At speaking English? / Exchange Rates: Euro 288Naira;Dollar 275 Naira; Pound 405Naira / 10 Signs You Are A Josite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.