Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Linux where do I start? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Linux where do I start? (1553 Views)

How Do I Start Biz Of Importing Fairly Used Laptops / How Do I Start A Career In It / Blogging Gurus! How Do I Start A Blog Site? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Linux where do I start? by Weymola(m): 11:38am On Aug 05, 2005
Hello All,

I've noticed that several users of this forum are "pro" Linux.

I have never used Linux  grin, and have never really had the need to. From reading some post to this forum however, I can see that I need to be more opened minded to other or alternative OS's - after all Bill Gates is not my Dad...

I work in IT and have to provide MS solutions everyday. In my office I run SBS2003, and XP workstations. Being a MS partner I get the over £2000 worth of software at £200 which works fine for me. I was reading a post on this forum indicating why Linux was doing so well in Nigeria - and issues with licensing. These issues are things we face over here also, and I am forever advising some of my small business clients on there licensing problems.

Anyway I was looking at both Red hat, and SUSE which were the only names I could remember from back in the day as being good versions of Linux. But these both required payment and licenses.

So my questions for the forum, is which versions of Linux do you use, and is it free? Where is a good place to start, I need to experiment with the desktop / and server side if possible.

Thanks in advance
Re: Linux where do I start? by Bibi(m): 1:01pm On Aug 05, 2005
Check out http://www.linux.org/

For many linux dsitributions, its free. You only need to pay if you want support. The website Ive posted gives you all the details including all variants of Linux.
Re: Linux where do I start? by jogego(m): 1:32pm On Aug 05, 2005
Best distro i.e linux flavour for any newbie is simplymepis www.mepis.org;www.mepislovers.org. It is a live CD aand dont install on ur HD. You can pm me for more details.

Suse for me is a lot of hype.Installation is over an hour. Simplymepis or kanotix www.kanotix.org are live CDs that if you try and like,you can install in less than 20 minutes.

www.distrowatch.com,www.desktoplinux.com,www.tuxmagazine.com are very good resources.
Re: Linux where do I start? by Niggy(m): 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2005
welcome to linux, i've been writing on linux since i joined this forum. "linux or windows operating system".
There are two ways to learn linux:
1. Either to start with a distro that a friend or someone you know is using already. reason: for immediate assistance or attention to problems.
2. Go to www.distrowatch.com and sample the hundreds of distros there. but be ready to learn via
a. personal study
b. internet assess -for documentation and to join linux user forums for FAQs

I must tell u, all linux distros are good but it's a matter of choice.
i started with knoppix livecd, redhat9, mandrake10. i later started using and testing other distro like, ubunto, gentoo,berrylinux, amorak live, mepis, mandriva2006, clarkconnect, mandriva limited edition, berrylinux, knoppix 3.9,slax, klax, symphony, famelix.
now i'm based on fedora core 4 cos i love redhat. fedora is a sponsored development project by redhat.
i'm working on writing reviews on the distros i've laid my hands on.
Like a friend would say, linux distros are the same based on command line. That's what gave me upper hand to handle any distro. i just open the konsole and there i go!
With time u start mastering various differences in these distro and less i forget, be ready to learn. To be a good linux user and server administrator you have to read alot. i'm not saying it's difficult! i bet you would be able to navigate the graphical desktops easily be it KDE, GNOME,XFCE, FLUXBOX, BLACKBOX and other.
i hope to start an interractive tutorial on this site for linux newbies.
You can download the August release of TUX MAGAZINE free at www.tuxmagazine.com for more linux distro story.

Like i said,i'm with FEDORA CORE 4 now and if you don't mind can start with it. For further assistance, i'm here.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-487.224.html
Re: Linux where do I start? by Weymola(m): 2:09pm On Aug 05, 2005
Thank you all for your input and bits of advice.
There seems to be many ways one can go with Linux - I doubt I will be to keep up!!!

The idea of studying puts me off. Theres no way I can give this more than a week at most embarassed

I may have to just watch from the sidelines, dabble here and there when I can.

cheers
Re: Linux where do I start? by makdon: 11:37am On Aug 09, 2005
i have heard alot about linux os,
but i have no clue as to what it is or what it is
or what it is used for.i wnt to know if i can get a good book in
portharcourt and the address to buy it,on linux OS
So i can start on my own to learn linux.
Re: Linux where do I start? by kazey(m): 12:14am On Aug 13, 2005
Chai wetin be all this Linux Craze. Abeg windows ................Windows where do I start? grin
Re: Linux where do I start? by Niggy(m): 12:26pm On Aug 17, 2005
get a chalk and slate.
Re: Linux where do I start? by Deicide: 9:06pm On Dec 17, 2021
Op is probably an expert now?

(1) (Reply)

Softwares Discussion-types And Uses Of Software. / Discusion; "Laptops Are Better Than Tablets" / Hp Laptops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.