Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (24987 Views)

Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. / Things That Can Make Or Mar A Brilliant Student. (with Examples) / Uniport 2011/2012 Newly Admitted Student And Aspirants Meet Here:: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2012
Richfella: One Word: Sorting! grin grin grin
WORD!!

Good one! cool
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Iaz93: 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
With over thirty years of teaching experience, i would love to point out that the ''smart student'' is one who is able to cheat in exams, class works without being caught, while the ''brilliant student'' is one that strives hard to pass. *big grin*
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Rooneyboy(m): 4:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
A smart student knows what is expected of him buy the society.
*A smart student will dewell in any field work given to him but the brilliant student would struggle.
In summary, A smart student is a blend of the corporate, the agbero , and the street chap, all in one package.
But the brilliant is only one programmed character which is the corporate.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by busybrain001(m): 4:29pm On Oct 17, 2012
i think its more preferable to have a little of both..............................i have seen a lot of brilliant students that ends up not being successful in life, and i think this as a result of their over reliance on just their ability to read and understand whereas they ought to also make plans for unforeseen situations.

...............in lieu of the above,i would say that i am a living example of what u can term a SMART student with an above average level of brilliancy. i was not necessarily the most BRILLIANT in my class, but i ended up being the best graduating student for my set..........and let me state it here, i was not favored in any way, i just applied the right principles, and with the help of God, i got the required results.

........SO IN MY OWN OPINION, I THINK WE ALL NEED TO HAVE A REASONABLE PERCENTAGE OF BOTH TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by idlaw2k3(m): 4:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
Brilliant students (people)
Can Understand and explain complex concepts.
Smart students (people)
Can understand and manage complex circumstances and people.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by busybrain001(m): 4:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
atbu1983: We should learn to differentiate between a smart student and a dubious student. Passing examination by mal practice is not a smart thing because almost evrybody can do it. These days most student do it and as such many student are dubious students. Most dubious student find it difficult getting a Job on thier own without external help from friends and families and as such most of them can only get average job. Smart students on the other hand are few. they dont rely on malparactice, but they know what to read, where to read and how to read to pass thier exam. Most smart student just go after the grade because they know whenever they need the concept after school, they can always sturdy the book again even five years after school. As a result they understand that passing thier exam is more important when they are in school. The brilliant ones spend much of thier energy reading and knowing what they dont need. Thus both the Smart and brilliant student get the big Jobs in multinationals where skilled and ability are the requirement. And also where who know man are minimal. But however the smart student are still more likely to succeed in difficult economy like nigeria.

WELL SAID.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Anvaller: 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
The problem remains that ppl will continue to have varying perspectives as per what smart and brilliant actually mean which will of course continue to generate diverse opinion as far as the topic is concerned.
The point is that BRILLIANT and SMART actually mean the same thing within the context of this topic. In some other context it may not but as far as the question by OP here is concerned, guys don't bother urselves trying to differentiate. It means the same.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by busybrain001(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
idlaw2k3: Brilliant students (people)
Can Understand and explain complex concepts.
Smart students (people)
Can understand and manage complex circumstances and people.

LOL, NICE POINT.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by IfyAwazie(f): 4:46pm On Oct 17, 2012
mayorme: Just for example, take 2 students who wrote an exam and passed. In few years later, one student was able to solve thesame problem effectively and the other was not, to me, i feel the one that was able to solve d problem was the the smart one cos most brilliant students i know, just study to pass and they can't reproduce what they just learnt in year to come. This thread is opened for meaningful suggestions. Thanks
Wat is 'In few years later?
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Shorbeeb: 4:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
Fact 1. Smartness is not same as dubious, cheating, etc. Whiteman go cry wen dem hear wetin naija turn smartness into... Crooks

Fact 2. You can be smart and brilliant. They are not mutually exclusive.

Fact 3. Where you end up is not a factor of your smartness or brilliance. I have seen "dunces" run and own company. Sheer will and determination matters more.

A brilliant student is naturally good without any defects whatsoever even if he doesn't study smartly. A smart student may study less and do more compare to how much he studied but does not mean he will ever do better than a brilliant student unless he combines brilliance with his smartness. Cheating is never smartness.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by mayorme(m): 4:48pm On Oct 17, 2012
In few year later, i mean 5 years and above
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by futurewise11(m): 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
@all
Smart student don't like professional examination like ican,cibn acca etc,
Instead they prefer master in some schools.....
Smart student don't like standardized exam like toefl,gmat,sat,ielts
They always look for school that waive it abroad.....
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by IfyAwazie(f): 4:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
Herbeeb11: For me you could have said gifted student nt smart student because smart student can only make all d neccessary material 2 pass exam, even if na wit malpractice{expo} nd brilliant student are the average one's that use their possible best 2 pass there examz and under probability if they can remember in future,so i tink u are clear nøw if any kindly add urz..<am out>
U mean, Best Possible.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by akpanbaba: 4:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
The smart ones enter exam hall with micro-chip in his or her pocket while the brilliant ones do not.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2012
There is nothing like a smart student. What exists is only ''a brilliant student''.

Brilliance and Smartness are two different attributes. A smart student can also be the one who spends a complete semester chasing after pot-bellied men in Abuja only to return at the end of the said semester to ''sort'' her way out with money.

Brilliance applies only to education, academics or training and has only a positive side while smartness could apply to any other endeavours of life and has a positive and negative side.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by chucky234(m): 5:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
What of we wey smart and at the same time brilliant,how you go come take divide us into two before you come compare to know which one better pass.
Abi person wey brilliant no dey smart again,abeg help clear dat place before I know wetin I go talk.
When comes to academics smart and brillliant means the same thing,in my 6-6-4 years in school I never heard a teacher or lecturer refers to a student as smart and another as brilliant.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by ositadima1(m): 5:15pm On Oct 17, 2012
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Digriz(m): 5:18pm On Oct 17, 2012
alfredo4u: 4 u to knw d d/f. Find out d meanin of smart and brillant. Smart guys uses runs to pass y brillant guys study and pass.
exactly,smart ones are d ones that wl like to make it anyhw.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by kpolli(m): 5:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
Brilliant cram, smart learn
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by zubbainno123: 5:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
LoaditeDOTcom: [b]briliant na to KNW BOOK, smart na to WISE

GOD bless ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊........
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by GAR3TH(m): 5:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
I personally believe that a smart person is one who is good at making hard, tasking decisions and A brilliant person is one who is very intelligent and has vast amount of knowledge.

Businessmen like billionaire Donald trump are smart but not intelligent ( though they could be).donald trump is Good at making business decisions but give him a complex physics problem and he will crack. On the other hand you have people who are very intelligent but constantly make bad decisions.

So the smart student makes the right decision to study so he can do well in school but the brilliant student actually learns the materials so he personally knows the material. The brilliant student does not care about doing well in school. They care about learning the material. And thus good grades come them naturally

This is just my opinion on what those two words mean, mind you that many people are both.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Emmy9ite(m): 5:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
Simple example: A smart student ends up owning an oil company, a brilliant one ends up working for the oil company. Employees are brilliant, employers are smart!
#My2Cents

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by ITbomb(m): 5:59pm On Oct 17, 2012
mayorme: Just for example, take 2 students who wrote an exam and passed. In few years later, one student was able to solve thesame problem effectively and the other was not, to me, i feel the one that was able to solve d problem was the the smart one cos most brilliant students i know, just study to pass and they can't reproduce what they just learnt in year to come. This thread is opened for meaningful suggestions. Thanks

From ur descriptions here , I'm sure u actually meant ' What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And An Intelligent Student'
Nigerian definition of Smartness is nothing like what u just wrote there.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by lovethsophia: 6:01pm On Oct 17, 2012
A Brilliant student is the one who follows up the teaching and learning process, he understands, study and pass his exams,
while a Smart student will like to make it anyhow, either by cramming or through expo. He is only after the pass but not after the knowledge acquired.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by billtommy(m): 6:03pm On Oct 17, 2012
Same as the difference between wisdom(smart) and knowledge(brilliant)
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by dpuzo: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2012
A smart student goes on to be Bill Gates. A brilliant student will be his doctor
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by yuzedo: 6:55pm On Oct 17, 2012
How would i know..? undecided
I was neither! grin wink cry
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by purpinkx(m): 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
A brilliant students must know the course to pass
A smart student knows somebody to pass
Shikena
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
Econometrics final year exam, i was a simply a smart student. I had crammed an equation proving for which i didn't understand even the whole econometrics itself was just something i had to pass if i wanted to graduate, the stakes were high and needed to insure myself. So being smart, had to permutate possible questions (based on previous years alongside some element of surprise), memorize their solutions, drilled my brain on how much i could remember and time taken to recollect. I had put myself in a position that i couldn't be shocked as worst case scenario I'd still have something to write.

I came out of the exam hall finished on time, cause i attempted the easier ones in terms of recollection as well as time taken to put down. Lots of folks didn't finish, but came out proud of myself.

Scenario two, 300 level CA i had the highest certainly not because i was the most brilliant, but i could remember drawing graphs for every little thing i had talk about. And in the final exam result just two people had an A, myself and one other guy. How i did it they still wonder.

Scenario three, two hundred level Statistics stabbed the class lots of time, as exams approached all i needed to do was sit for some few hours with a friend, he broke it down quite well, did the mental drill went into exams became second highest at 82, the guy had 84.

Moral: I had little or no interest in Economics, just had to pass it so i can easily move on with my life. Would you call me Brilliant, nah I'd rather be seen as smart, knowing what to do in order to get things done.

The really brilliant one might not necessarily have the good grades

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by sunny4life(m): 7:45pm On Oct 17, 2012
Rolling.:

I cram this particular stuff on Bismarck Alliance in Europe when I was on in year 1 and up till date,i can still explain what the concept is all about.I think being brilliant is the key thing here cuz you know more than a smart student who is just using his own ideas.It takes a brilliant student to be a first-class graduate !
Exactly wat i did in my year1.Somethings u can learn and put it in own words while some,u hav 2 cram.If u are studying law,u will understand wat i am talking about.currently on a firstclass...if being brilliant keeps me in that position,so be it...still smart though...luv the 2 combination
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by Clemzy16(m): 7:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
A smart student does not necessarily have to be intelligent, he just need to have what it takes to pass an examination. E.g A student that is capable of understanding and manipulating a particular formula even though he has no fore knowledge about the topic. And at the end of the day will still pass the exam.(even though the grade might be less impressive). While a brilliant student is the one who learn, reads and understands what he or she has been taught.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student by AdeniyiA(m): 7:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
the brilliant one 'mowe'-(knows book) while d smart one 'mo way'- (knows d way).
there's a brilliant smartness and also a smartness brilliance

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IELTS Increases Test Fee To ₦266,000 / Ui Pre Degree Form Is Out Again / Anambra Takes First Position In Schools Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.