Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,401 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? (5266 Views)

Photos Of The Coffins Where 4 Nigerians To Be Killed In Indonesia Will Be Buried / Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by my2cents(m): 4:36pm On Apr 17, 2006
As usual, another topic from me that is bound to get some eye brows dancing grin

So, unless you just arrived from naija yesterday, I am sure that you have, when in company of your friends at one point or the other, either talked about what someone you know went through (loans, putting job in jeopardy, etc) in order to send a corpse home OR you have been thinking of whether or not you would want to burden your immediate family with sending your corpse home, especially for such families where the last time they went home was probably before/after the civil war (joke).

So, this begs the question: If you are in the diaspora, where do you want to be buried?

Me? Though I go home regularly, I still feel that sense of "sure you come, but you are no longer one of us" whenever I go. All the people I grew up with have grown up and moved on. Why put my family through the ordeal of people doing everything to get what they can while they can, etc? So, if they want to send my corpse home, that's up to them. Otherwise, I will be glad to buried in the states.

This topic should generate a lot of interesting answers grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by Seun(m): 1:47am On May 22, 2006
When you're dead, you're dead. What does it matter where you're buried?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by Hotstepper(f): 2:10am On May 22, 2006
my father's compound at Nnewi straight
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by IBBFan(m): 2:12am On May 22, 2006
lmao @Hotstepper

for me, LAGOS. no long thing!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by GUNNER(f): 2:15am On May 22, 2006
no shaking, e go be

ilishan-remo, ogun state 9ja
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by my2cents(m): 4:50am On May 22, 2006
Seun,

For me, it doesn't matter, but for especially those of us abroad of the previous generation, they seem to want to be buried at home. As a result, families go into debt big time to cover funeral home fees, plane fees, transport from lagos to destination. This does not include money for the actual burial. It kills me to see what pple are going through in the name of "taking someone home".

Personally, like u, I don't care. As you said, when u r dead, u r dead and as my neighbor once told me:

1st week after death: u r mourned

2nd " " " : u r buried

3rd " " " : ur relatives discuss who is going to get what

4th week: your spouse goes hunting for another spouse.

May sound ridiculous, but there is a lot of wisdom in the above grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by DaHitler(m): 5:04am On May 22, 2006
I want my corpse to be cremated. My family can do whatever they want with the ashes, but I refuse to have my body rot.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by 1ofall(f): 10:09am On May 22, 2006
Like Afeni,I also want to be cremated, which my family generally find offensive, my mum says it inhumane
I am very unlikely to move back to Nigeria, I think spending all that  money to carry a corpse home is ridiculous, neither do I like the idea of the possiblity of my "rest" or bones being disturbed,discovered or whatever down the line, when I'm gone ,I want to be GONE!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by IBBFan(m): 12:03pm On May 22, 2006
it's guaranteed that you're gonna die
and you might get missed
for maybe 2-3 hours
till they light their spliffs
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by dollypee1(f): 4:28am On Jul 10, 2006
i think i like in d church cemetry,so queit.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:37am On Jul 10, 2006
@ dolly i think de question was would you want ur body air lifter home or buried hear abroad

@ IBB ur rhyme was wack

I think i would prefer to be buried backhome in my village, after all i was born there
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by dollypee1(f): 4:44am On Jul 10, 2006
GOT THAT. HOME AT D CEMETRY.CLAFIRIED?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by IBBFan(m): 12:22am On Jul 12, 2006
@JosBoy

tell that to Jadakiss and maybe Ja Rule might just do a remix of the song New York.

perv!!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by Cathian: 9:36pm On Oct 15, 2006
I live in New Jersey, USA and my husband's best friend's wife passed away. It was decided that they would send the body back home to Niger. I don't really understand, because their children and grandchildren are all here. They never intend on moving back to Niger and only going home to visit. By the time they had a (1) night wake here, and then sent her body home, the whole cost of everything was just under $10,000.00. Everybody ended up contributing money to help him get her home. It was suggested that they cremate her and bring the ashes home but, the husband did not want to hear it. In his mind, he had to get her home in (1) piece to be buried.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:03pm On Oct 17, 2006
will you get angry if are not buried where u want? grin grin grin>dead<
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by CrazyMan(m): 6:30pm On Oct 17, 2006
Where you will be buried isn't the main issue.
the main issue is where you will spend you will spend your enternity.
either in heaven or in hell.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by babaibadan(m): 7:06pm On Oct 17, 2006
crazykid:

Where you will be buried isn't the main issue.
the main issue is where you will spend you will spend your enternity.
either in heaven or in hell.

that was thotful for a crazy kid
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by CrazyMan(m): 7:33pm On Oct 17, 2006
Thanks. smiley
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by babaibadan(m): 7:38pm On Oct 17, 2006
u welcome.

Thats the main point; where u spend your eternity .

But for me the physical resting place doesnt really matter
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by CrazyMan(m): 7:47pm On Oct 17, 2006
@Baba Ibadan
you are right. co's the body is flesh once you die, it's gets rotten.
and after a month or two, it's back to sand where it was once formed
so it's where you are spending your eternity that really matters.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by superman(m): 8:14pm On Oct 17, 2006
i think it matters where u are buried!

when soldiers die in iraq ! they flown back to US the same with british soldiers!

emm yea its time nigerians should value themselves if we have to shine ! till then no time for faking emmm ,
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by naija4life(f): 8:16pm On Oct 17, 2006
LoverBwoy:

will you get angry if are not buried where u want? grin grin grin>dead<

OMG LoverBwoy, you really hit the nail on the head as it doesnt matter to the dead body where its been buried. Its the living dats making a BIG fuss outta nothin, left  4 me, when i die, i should be buried in my place of domicile and nobody should even think about cremating/burning me as i hope to have a body to move around in the spirirt world, lol grin shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by BlackMamba(m): 9:53pm On Oct 17, 2006
I'll prefer to be cremated and my ash scattered. I detest the sight of valuable real estate converted into useless cemetery, especially for the dead who don't give a f*ck wether they're buried in a mausoleum or left on the street to rot.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by Shokoloko(f): 10:43pm On Oct 17, 2006
I CAN NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin (Yup i got u)
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by dennylove(m): 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2006
Shokoloko,you say you no go die? how ur own be angry grin grin? ABI YOU NA GOD
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by vickybabe(f): 11:17pm On Oct 17, 2006
come on y'all dis is not the right time
to be talking about death,
let's live life to da fullest b4
we talk about where we wanna be buried,
but sha i am undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by Ynot(m): 1:27am On Oct 18, 2006
vickybabe:

come on y'all this is not the right time
to be talking about death,
let's live life to da fullest before
we talk about where we want to be buried,
but sha i am undecided undecided

Thats not true. Since we all can't avoid death (old or young), we might as well talk about it. Infact, its in your best interest and that of your family to discuss death now. It will save lots of he said, she said (as regard the topic of discuss)when you're gone. As for me, let them bury me anywhere they want.

What do you guys think about people that still bury their loved ones at the back/front of their house in Nigerian villages? Is that tradition still necessary in a 21st century world?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:42am On Oct 18, 2006
Ynot, I like the tradition. I think it is actually getting more popular back home, at least with my people.
In my area it is mostly the muslim Hausa people who do that, but now our villagers are doing it aswell

Infact my Grandfather who just recently past away cry cry was buried in my fathers compound back home.
I too want to be buried back in my village. That is where I was born and that is where i want to rest in peace
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by Ynot(m): 2:22am On Oct 18, 2006
Ain't nothing wrong with that. wouldn't it be better to have a cemetery in villages for that? My point is, burying people in villages without control makes it easier for people to commit murder, bury the body and get away with it. In the event the police dug up a body, i can always say thats where my grand dad was buried.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:42am On Oct 18, 2006
They do have cemeteries in my village man. It remains a choice that the family takes upon themselves. Also my Grandpa while still alive, requested to be buried in my fathers compound.
Nigeria prior to popular belief is not that backwards
No one gets buried in Nigeria without other people knowing about it ie. Funeral, wake etc,
Now if you murdered someone and buried them this would be traceable because there is no record of this person being buried there
Therefore, there is infact a form of control
Furthermore they can do blood and dna analysis even in my village!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by dennylove(m): 6:34am On Oct 18, 2006
josboy4life,this ur analysis abt cemetry tooo much oooooooooo ABI YOU DON WORK 4 CEMETRY BEFORE grin grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora: Where Do You Want To Be Buried? by idiotsoul: 11:26am On Oct 18, 2006
I do not want to be buried. I do rather donate my lungs and body parts for research and medical purpose. My kidney goes to people without kidney. etc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Go To Bangladesh Without Visa / Immigration To Canada- The Winners / World's 10 Scariest Bridges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.