Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 (8692 Views)

Benue Militant Who Submitted 84 Guns To The State Govt / British Arms Dealer Arrested For Selling Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria / President Of Nigeria In 2007: Who? <Poll> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by IleIfe2(m): 1:11pm On Oct 18, 2012
A 42-year-old British arms dealer who is accused of smuggling 80,000 guns and 32 million rounds of ammunition worth £840,000 from China to Nigeria has dismissed the allegations as ‘ludicrous’.

Gary Hyde, of Newton on Derwent, East Yorkshire, allegedly smuggled 40,000 AK47 assault rifles, 30,000 other rifles, 10,000 9mm pistols and the ammunition across the world in 2007.

The York-based businessman - a former director of UK companies York Guns and Jago Ltd - is said to have organised the trade and transportation of the weapons in contravention of UK arms laws.

But this is the second time Hyde has faced the accusations and he continues to refute the charges, with his barrister telling Southwark Crown Court that the allegations are ‘completely ridiculous’.

‘The idea Mr Hyde sat down and made a decision to breach this law willy-nilly, knowing full well the consequences, is, we suggest, ludicrous’, Stephen Solley QC, defending, told the court.

‘Mr Hyde is a legitimate businessman, and to suggest he had a cavalier, couldn’t care less approach and is going to go ahead regardless we suggest that was simply not the picture.

‘The idea you could be sure this man put two fingers up to the criminal law knowingly is completely ridiculous.’

However, prosecutors say Hyde failed to obtain the correct export licence, and a record of flights in 2006 and 2007 to China when the sales allegedly happened has been put before the jury.

But Mr Solley said prosecutors had not given a complete picture of Hyde’s travel, missing out several overseas trips not seen as relevant but gave a fuller picture of his working life.

Some people think there is a glamour to international travel,’ he told the court.

‘But the glamour wears off pretty quickly. What a struggle it must have been to keep up all the various components of his life, his English business, and his international business.’

Mr Solley told the court Hyde was working for one of the largest arms-dealing firms in the north east of England, juggling international deals, a domestic business, and his family life.

He also pointed to 38 other potential deals with China which were being negotiated at the time the alleged crimes took place.

Hyde, who has been trading in arms and dealing regularly with government departments for 20 years, gave a prepared statement protesting his innocence when brought in for questioning.

‘I do not believe that I engaged in any activity in the UK which I understood to require a licence but where instead I decided to ignore that obligation,' he said. ‘Apart from a couple of administration errors, I have always been compliant.’

Mr Solley also warned the jury not to think badly of Hyde because of his profession.

‘There’s nothing wrong with arms dealing’, he said. ‘This was nation state to nation state sale and purchase, between the government of China and the government of Nigeria.

It was not to some ramshackle gang somewhere - it was government to government arms sales.’

Hyde has pleaded not guilty to smuggling the 80,000 guns and 32million rounds of ammunition.

A previous trial into the charges against Hyde was abandoned, the jury was told.

Hyde denied two counts of becoming knowingly concerned in the movement of controlled goods between March 2006, and December 2007. He also denied one count of concealing criminal property between March 2006, and December 2008.

The trial continues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219189/British-arms-dealer-smuggled-80-000-guns-32million-ammunition-rounds-China-Nigeria.html

This man (Gary Hyde) is denying allegations he transported (80,000) thousand guns from China to Nigeria under shady circumstances. He is being charged for deliberately ignoring U.K law, concerning such transactions and he is claiming it was a legal transaction between the Nigerian and Chinese government. Though he is withholding information about his exact location as at the time the transaction took place, under the guise of being too busy. My concern is this, is he trying to avoid being taxed or he brokered a deal between criminal elements within the Nigerian and Chinese government? This transaction took place in an election year, 2007. Who was the Chief of defence staff in 2007? Who was the chief of army staff in 2007? why were these weapons bought and for what purpose?
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by jigawatts(m): 1:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked 80,000 Guns ....... Allahu Akbar cry

Once again I'm first to comment grin grin grin grin
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Where did those END up in? shocked shocked

This needs to be looked into, very thoroughly too. shocked
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by gbadexy(m): 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
Is the case in court, how was the detail gotten? Is there a picture?
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by Abujafood: 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
Good Job UK government!
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by gegee(m): 1:57pm On Oct 18, 2012
dem want us to carry d guns finish ourselves..... and like the stupid Africans that we are we use dem to cause all kinds of problems for ourselves wasting lives. SMH embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by TRACK: 1:58pm On Oct 18, 2012
The guns were bought perhaps to rig election and after election they were resold to criminals who now use them to kill innocent people. God save us.
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by gabriel212: 2:00pm On Oct 18, 2012
For Election as we all know. remember when som1 said it is a do or die in Abeokuta also remember ''KOSI KORO KOSI BOO in Lagos''

1 Like

Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by DeGrace01(m): 2:00pm On Oct 18, 2012
And who was the President then? Is also very important.
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by free2ryhme: 2:03pm On Oct 18, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by Default01: 2:07pm On Oct 18, 2012
Sorry o d den president is dead wuna fit ask am 4 him grave.ah i 4get him vp as in president gudluk stil de
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by babaowo: 2:26pm On Oct 18, 2012
jigawatts: shocked shocked shocked shocked 80,000 Guns ....... Allahu Akbar cry

... may be u should go to Gtbank or Barclays to use ur 1st comment to withdraw some ### or $$$ dude of highest order.
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by pingo(m): 2:30pm On Oct 18, 2012
shocked shocked shocked who are the beneficiaries/clients! Boko Haram or Niger Delta Militants? If Boko Haram, he shoould be charged for MURDER! but if Niger delta Militants, he should be charged for smuggling!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by zangbah: 2:53pm On Oct 18, 2012
We know BH are contract arms of mis5, mis6,cia and mosaad which are driver through there activities in naija

2 Likes

Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by jigawatts(m): 2:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
babaowo: ... may be u should go to Gtbank or Barclays to use ur 1st comment to withdraw some ### or $$$ dude of highest order.

ok I'll do dat wink grin grin grin
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by fitzmayowa: 3:06pm On Oct 18, 2012
Could this be how BH got themselves armed May God save naija
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by Hotdiamond(m): 3:18pm On Oct 18, 2012
jigawatts: shocked shocked shocked shocked 80,000 Guns ....... Allahu Akbar cry

hey dude. Grow up.
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by mu2sa2: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2012
Want to know where the guns are? Ask the thugs politicians like to hav around them - ALL politicians, north, east west or south.
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 18, 2012
MI6 + CIA = Boko Haram. If they usa wan deny let them start by recoganizing BH as a terrorist group rather than rattling nonsense about it because is there creation

1 Like

Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by flexya: 3:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
Like the guy said, its government 2 government sales. He merely acted as an agent. How and where do u think our military guys get their weapon from? For an army the size of Nigerias, this is hardly enough ammo for the shootin range. I seriously doubt individuals (includin politicians) would be that interested in pistols. They r more for the Police. Whoever it belongs 2 or was delivered 2, would come out in the course of the trial. Even the prosecutor are only alleging that he(accused) did not obtain the appropriate licence for this export not that he was supplyin militias or some mafia. If he was, the British government knew about it before it happend cause their interest in Nigeria goes beyond "hello". Ditto the Americans who won't really sit down and watch this volume of weapon go into non-governmental hands, who could in turn use it 2 train terrorist!

So let's wait and see. Interesting though

1 Like

Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by Policewoman(f): 3:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
Na wah o. So this is how these politicians arm these robbers and thugs.
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by jigawatts(m): 4:30pm On Oct 18, 2012
Hotdiamond:
hey dude. Grow up.

u dont need to attack me na, drop ur own comment too na tongue
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by maclatunji: 4:58pm On Oct 18, 2012
Policewoman: Na wah o. So this is how these politicians arm these robbers and thugs.

See Police officer saying: "Na wah O". Na real wah when those that should act are also lamenting. #Jagajagathings
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by phemieojelabi: 5:52pm On Oct 18, 2012
[size=15pt]I wonda wot they re turnin dis country to,House of H coolRR coolR/C coolMM coolTI coolN.But 1 tin is sure Peace shall be far frm "DEM",dat love 2 create Trobu in dis country [/size]
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by cap28: 6:13pm On Oct 18, 2012
the destabilisation of nigeria by external forces continues. this is how libya and syria's destabilisation started.

1 Like

Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by JideOje: 6:52pm On Oct 18, 2012
flexya: Like the guy said, its government 2 government sales. He merely acted as an agent. How and where do u think our military guys get their weapon from? For an army the size of Nigerias, this is hardly enough ammo for the shootin range. I seriously doubt individuals (includin politicians) would be that interested in pistols. They r more for the Police. Whoever it belongs 2 or was delivered 2, would come out in the course of the trial. Even the prosecutor are only alleging that he(accused) did not obtain the appropriate licence for this export not that he was supplyin militias or some mafia. If he was, the British government knew about it before it happend cause their interest in Nigeria goes beyond "hello". Ditto the Americans who won't really sit down and watch this volume of weapon go into non-governmental hands, who could in turn use it 2 train terrorist!

So let's wait and see. Interesting though
[color=#000099][/color]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
undecided Seriously wishing you'd know the number of boys (both blended and unblended) who are currently in possession of 9mm pieces undecided
God have mercy on us all.................
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by ibrash600: 7:42pm On Oct 18, 2012
jigawatts: Once again I'm first to comment

C'mon guy, u aint kid
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by okuya: 9:53pm On Oct 18, 2012
80,000 guns worth £840,000!!, were those plastic or toy AK47's and guns?!....mtcheeeeew! Abeg free me!!
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by xandy84: 10:00pm On Oct 18, 2012
oya get me one gun now ooo... i need am for security ooooo
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by dartsidius7(m): 10:16pm On Oct 18, 2012
ehmmm, can i have 6 AKs, 4 twelve gauges, 17 nina berettas and one alombo please......... selling guns like tom tom.
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by muktarmtt(m): 12:26am On Oct 19, 2012
pingo: shocked shocked shocked who are the beneficiaries/clients! Boko Haram or Niger Delta Militants? If Boko Haram, he shoould be charged for MURDER! but if Niger delta Militants, he should be charged for smuggling!! grin grin grin
ok mumu we hard u, wat of if it's ur papa
Re: British Arms Dealer Charged For Smuggling 80,000 Guns To Nigeria In 2007 by Candybob(m): 10:10am On Oct 19, 2012
okuya: 80,000 guns worth £840,000!!, were those plastic or toy AK47's and guns?!....mtcheeeeew! Abeg free me!!
Meehn, that means a gun went for about 2700 Naira only.. Do u still wonder why our country is a haven of crime

(1) (Reply)

Fayose In Certificate Mess.. EFCC Writes INEC / Tinubu Launches Student Loan Thursday, Foreign Scholars Seek Inclusion / Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.