Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,739 members, 7,820,544 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? (6479 Views)

Is It Allow For Muslims To Kiss On Walimatul Nikkai Ceremonial Day / Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony / A, B, C of the Hajj Rites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 20, 2012
I just witnessed an islamic wedding (nikkai) in my estate today saturday 20th Oct 2012 taking place at a hall within a mosque. All that took place apart from recitation of the quran and saying islamic prayers, the other activities are those that takes place in a normal christian and secular wedding. eg cutting of cake, bridal train, grooms men etc. u know what i mean. the usual things/activities common with social wedding.

This is not the first time im witnessing this 'mixed' marriage rites.

My question to muslims is this, are these activities permitted islamically or one can use their discretion in going about their wedding ceremonies?
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by maclatunji: 5:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
^Before I answer your question, tell me if you were disturbing my Muslim sisters- Yes or No? #LOL.

A wedding like the one you attended is called a Walimatul Nikah which is basically, a celebration. The real rites of marriage may have been performed before that day or early in the morning on that day.

As per your question. If nothing prohibited (Haram) is done during the ceremony, then leave the couple with their family and friends to enjoy their day.

Them invite you to wedding, na analysis you go dey do. tongue
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by joey4jo: 5:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
Its obvious that it is bidia(innovation)! Simple!
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by joey4jo: 6:03pm On Oct 20, 2012
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by joey4jo: 6:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
maclatunji: ^Before I answer your question, tell me if you were disturbing my Muslim sisters- Yes or No? #LOL.

A wedding like the one you attended is called a Walimatul Nikah which is basically, a celebration. The real rites of marriage may have been performed before that day or early in the morning on that day.

As per your question. If nothing prohibited (Haram) is done during the ceremony, then leave the couple with their family and friends to enjoy their day.

Them invite you to wedding, na analysis you go dey do. tongue
I think you need to read your reply again, how can you say if nothin wrong is done when everthing wrong is done.. The mixing of both sex there, the music, the cake, am sure she probably wore a gown, dancing etc. Haba!! (all this things have no origin from islam but borrowed from the western culture)..
If your getting married you should try to keep it as simple, lawful as possible to gain as much blessing from it.
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
good. meaning islam or some muslims have imported civilization into marriages. I remember that prior to now, it was simply straight to biz and no other extra activities.

since none of u has condemned it, i believe its allowed.

One thing for sure is that it may not be deeply rooted in islam doctrine. true or false? its purely modernization, which u guys must agree with me on.
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by maclatunji: 6:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
joey4jo:
I think you need to read your reply again, how can you say if nothin wrong is done when everthing wrong is done.. The mixing of both sex there, the music, the cake, am sure she probably wore a gown, dancing etc.. Haba!!
If your getting married you should try to keep it as simple, lawful as possible to gain as much blessing from it.

@bolded, he didn't mention any of those now. And like you saw, I put a provisor "If". At least, I have attended a few that don't break most Islamic codes. In a ceremony that non-Muslims attend, a few Islamic codes might be broken unfortunately because obviously they don't know Islamic rules.
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
joey4jo:
I think you need to read your reply again, how can you say if nothin wrong is done when everthing wrong is done.. The mixing of both sex there, the music, the cake, am sure she probably wore a gown, dancing etc. Haba!! (all this things have no origin from islam but borrowed from the western culture)..
Im not a muslim but i must say that its a borrowed culture. i was once a best man for my friend and we had grooms men in church and wedding reception. why should islamic wedding have them? why should u cut cakes in nikkai? why must u call musician to play and pple are spraying money?
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by maclatunji: 6:16pm On Oct 20, 2012
toba: good. meaning islam or some muslims have imported civilization into marriages. I remember that prior to now, it was simply straight to biz and no other extra activities.

since none of u has condemned it, i believe its allowed.

One thing for sure is that it may not be deeply rooted in islam doctrine. true or false? its purely modernization, which u guys must agree with me on.

You are just throwing words about. No two weddings are the same. The scope of what is lawful is wide such that you cannot exhaust all halal even if you wanted to.

So far, cutting or eating cake, having your friends dressing with you in matching attire as "groomsmen" or "bridesmaids" are not Haram by themselves. If there are other things you saw maybe you should let us know.
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by joey4jo: 6:19pm On Oct 20, 2012
toba: Im not a muslim but i must say that its a borrowed culture. i was once a best man for my friend and we had grooms men in church and wedding reception. why should islamic wedding have them? why should u cut cakes in nikkai? why must u call musician to play and pple are spraying money?
Exactly, an islamic wedding is best when it is done as simple as possible, the imam or who ever is suppose to join the couple, performes the the wedding rights, then a simple walimah, just for people to freshen up (guys only) ladies might have theirs seperately and that's it.. He takes his bride home!! Simple!
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by maclatunji: 6:24pm On Oct 20, 2012
toba: Im not a muslim but i must say that its a borrowed culture. i was once a best man for my friend and we had grooms men in church and wedding reception. why should islamic wedding have them? why should u cut cakes in nikkai? why must u call musician to play and pple are spraying money?

Of all the things you've listed, it is the bolded that is obviously Haram. The bridesmaid and Bestman have a functional value within a "big" Nigerian wedding context. For communication and liaison purposes. "My guy I need water", "could you tell my mother that woman that greated her just now stole her phone!" etc.

I know where you are going with all of this and the answer is still- No!
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by maclatunji: 6:28pm On Oct 20, 2012
joey4jo:
Exactly, an islamic wedding is best when it is done as simple as possible, the imam or who ever is suppose to join the couple, performes the the wedding rights, then a simple walimah, just for people to freshen up (guys only) ladies might have theirs seperately and that's it.. He takes his bride home!! Simple!

I agree with the bolded but you know some people can't escape big weddings even if they wanted to. We can only advice them not to exceed the boundaries of moderation.
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
maclatunji:

You are just throwing words about. No two weddings are the same. The scope of what is lawful is wide such that you cannot exhaust all halal even if you wanted to.

So far, cutting or eating cake, having your friends dressing with you in matching attire as "groomsmen" or "bridesmaids" are not Haram by themselves. If there are other things you saw maybe you should let us know.
even if no two weddings are the same, according to the dictates of religion must u deviate against its principle?

Im not a muslim but in christianity today, some churches would never join a man with a pregnant woman in marriage. some churches demand HIV test before marriage. thats their belief.

islam being a regimented religion have dictates as well. Im sure core muslims in this section would have different views to it. u might be a modernized muslim but im not sure those core hijabites would allow groomsmen and best lady/ cutting of cake
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 20, 2012
maclatunji:

Of all the things you've listed, it is the bolded that is obviously Haram. The bridesmaid and Bestman have a functional value within a "big" Nigerian wedding context. For communication and liaison purposes. "My guy I need water", "could you tell my mother that woman that greated her just now stole her phone!" etc.

I know where you are going with all of this and the answer is still- No!
with regards to best man, best lady etc i must agree with u on their roles as helpers. popular musicians that play at muslim weddings include yinka ayefele, kwam1 barrister, now late, pasuma etc. its on TV and not fabricated.

My point is that these days there are two classes of wedding in islam. One that is westernized and the other islamized
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by maclatunji: 10:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
toba: even if no two weddings are the same, according to the dictates of religion must u deviate against its principle?

Im not a muslim but in christianity today, some churches would never join a man with a pregnant woman in marriage. some churches demand HIV test before marriage. thats their belief.

islam being a regimented religion have dictates as well. Im sure core muslims in this section would have different views to it. u might be a modernized muslim but im not sure those core hijabites would allow groomsmen and best lady/ cutting of cake

Choice. Some won't, some will. Hijab doesn't determine your personality, I already addressed the musicians issue. Not allowed under Islamic dictates.
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by deols(f): 9:42pm On Oct 21, 2012
Funny enough op seems to be answering the questions he asked.

But my question is how are those things christian?
Were they in d bible? Practiced by jesus or his disciples?
His mother and her fiance?

1 Like

Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nike93(f): 12:54am On Oct 23, 2012
D op sounds like a naughty child who's excited to tell his mother that his fellow sibling had erred,gloating u see mum am nt d only bad öne. And 'civilised' what on earth does that mean.
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 23, 2012
deols: Funny enough op seems to be answering the questions he asked.

But my question is how are those things christian?
Were they in d bible? Practiced by jesus or his disciples?
His mother and her fiance?

quit the cruch abeg. @ emphasized texts

These activities are mostly common with western traditional marriages and Christian marriages. The Christian marriages are seen as a carnival like celebration of love. Not too much doctrination
Re: Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 23, 2012
Nike93: D op sounds like a naughty child who's excited to tell his mother that his fellow sibling had erred,gloating u see mum am nt d only bad öne. And 'civilised' what on earth does that mean.
Does this by any chance mean an indictment on the muslims or u're totally condemning such activities?

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of Seeking Knowledge In Islam / The True Muslims? / Story: The Reward For Abstaining From Harām

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.