Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God (1353 Views)

Man Made God In His Own Image? / God Created Man In His Own Image? / 'God made man in his own image'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 21, 2012
Many religions, including Christianity, state that God made the statement "Let 'us' make man in 'our' own image. 'Us' and 'our' indicate that God did not create man alone. So, there fore, I can only deduce that there were other beings, in religious terms, that 'co-created' man. Forget the simple dismissal tactics by religion, by always using the word 'angels' were there. We need to really talk about creation; What/Who are those co-creators with God ? And are we the embodiments of the so-called co-creators ? Lets talk, atheists and theists are all welcomed.
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 21, 2012
Simples.
1. It's a reflective pronoun.
2. The Godhead and the angels.
3. How do you mean?
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 21, 2012
Billyonaire: Many religions, including Christianity, state that God made the statement "Let 'us' make man in 'our' own image. 'Us' and 'our' indicate that God did not create man alone. So, there fore, I can only deduce that there were other beings, in religious terms, that 'co-created' man. Forget the simple dismissal tactics by religion, by always using the word 'angels' were there. We need to really talk about creation; What/Who are those co-creators with God ? And are we the embodiments of the so-called co-creators ? Lets talk, atheists and theists are all welcomed.

A very good question! Though you are not a religious person. Asking questions like this ( The kind that my fellow Christians think is heretic) has helped in strengthening my faith! The 'us' and 'our' image explains a lot. I think God was referring to the angels that were with Him when He wanted to create man!

Job 38:4-7 explains it better : Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me if you have understanding!

v7 as the morning star sang together and all the angels shouted for joy!

IMO, God didn't create man with the help of the angels but they were with Him when He was doing it!
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 21, 2012
Reyginus: Simples.
1. It's a reflective pronoun.
2. The Godhead and the angels.
3. How do you mean?

Oga Reyginus, the Godhead? Care to elucidate more? I hope no be trinity level sha grin
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 21, 2012
seriallink:

Oga Reyginus, the Godhead? Care to elucidate more? I hope no be trinity level sha grin
No. I dont care to derail
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by pastormustwacc: 9:56am On Oct 21, 2012
For the Gnostics, the creator of this world wasn’t the true prime creator, but a demiurge, a “craftsman”, a fallen angel, who also has an evil side. While the real God, the true prime creator (who Jesus calls “father”) is unrestrictedly good, an imperfect demiurge created an imperfect world. It has been shown that the Gnostics identified this imperfect demiurge-“god” with the god of the Old Testament, who they also called Yaldabaoth, who wants to keep humans in a state of ignorance in a material world and who punishes their attempts to achieve knowledge and insight (to “eat from the tree of knowledge”). The demiurge is a lesser god who wants to be the only one [6]. The text The Apokryphon of John (or The Secret Book of John) states: “He is impious in his madness that dwells in him. For he said, ‘I am God and no other god exists except me’, since he is ignorant of the place from which his strength had come” [7]. (Cf. Ex 20:23 and Deut 5:7). Could this be the explanation of all the abominable cruelties, which after all are literally described in the Old Testament (see below)?
Take a look at this
and
The Apocalypse of Adam

Those should be interesting reads.
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 21, 2012
Reyginus: No. I dont care to derail

Derailing na yawa. So, stay on the topic! You be my broda in Christ nah! No wahala, what you gave billy correct sha! I hail
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
There are no indications that the co-creators were smaller than God, there are no clues as to what they were. If we may question ourselves truly, we could as well say, is there something bigger than God, that created God ? Cos it occurs to me that God can not live within his creation and the creator did not exist in a vacuum. Something created where they were, while creating their own creations called man. Ponder people. The floor is still open. Are we alien (Gods) experiments ? Were they learning craft ? Are we products of their craftmanship? Did they advance to create better species (aliens)? ponder.
Re: Let 'us' Make Man In 'our' Own Image - God by pastormustwacc: 3:53pm On Oct 21, 2012
If you go through the gnostic christian beliefs, this is how they see it:

In the begining, the Holy Spirit proceeded from the Father, the father and the spirit together formed the son. Other spirits were formed in the process.

The Father created the gods (creator angels) and the heaven and cosmics (earth and other planetory bodies). One of the lesser gods (Yaldabaoth) was the one that formed man in the likeness of the Father, and mistakenly brought man to life by breathing wisdom (a higher god) into man.

You need to have read a lot to be able to summarize it like that: anyway, this is what i intended to post before, the link below about the origins of men as seen by the gnostic christians:
http://gnosis.org/naghamm/origin.html

(1) (Reply)

Is There Any Relationship Between Success And Religion? / Communist Goals: The De-moralization Of America / Pastor That Publishes Daily Manner Gets Dragged To Court By His Wife Of 14 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.