Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,997 members, 7,814,409 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

'God made man in his own image'? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'God made man in his own image'? (2423 Views)

God Made Man To Sin By Design Knowing He Will Sin And Fall / Man Made God In His Own Image? / God Created Man In His Own Image? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 10:49pm On Dec 23, 2005
What exactly does this mean, that God made man "in is own image"

Does this mean that man was once perfect, or that God is not faultless

Or is the Bible simply talking about physical attributes

OR; is it simply untrue, a mistake by the writer

Thanks for your time.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 9:48pm On Dec 27, 2005
I refuse to believe that no one here has any input on this topic...
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by Seun(m): 10:46pm On Dec 27, 2005
Perhaps it means that men are gods? I know that there are pastors - like Benny Hinn - who preach that.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 11:05pm On Dec 27, 2005
But i was under the understanding that there were/are no other gods but 'God'...or have Christians ditched that part of their doctrine

p.s.
thanks for your input Seun.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by hotangel2(f): 11:33pm On Dec 27, 2005
It means that God ... no it means that man... Infact rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes Why r u asking?
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 11:38pm On Dec 27, 2005
Why shouldn't I ask?
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 12:10am On Dec 28, 2005
exu dear, the word God or god means the ability and capacity to create and recreate, the Almighty God gave every one of his creation the ability to create and recreate his world, that is why science has made great leapts.that is in the physical. In the spiritual realm now, man by the life of God is able to achieve what man consider "impossible" hence the working of miracles and healings, well Benny Hinn may preach that we are gods.little gods because we cannot achieve any of these feats on our own aside the help of the Almighty God, but Jesus christ himself has quoted what David the patriach has said in the book of psalms that "is it not written in your law i said, ye are gods.....?" so the message is not orginal to Benny Hinn but God himself is glad to make us, his creatures, small gods........."be fruitful and multiply......" does not only imply biological procreation it implies fruitfulness in every word of it.

Ye are gods!!! that is the image and the likeness of God, ability to function in not just the five finite senses but also to be "limitless" as our God is limitless.......that is why nothing shall be impossible to all hat believe, because we are created in the image and the likeness of God
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 12:57am On Dec 28, 2005
exu dear, the word God or god means the ability and capacity to create and recreate

No.

It doesn't.

Try again.

p.s.

god

n 1: the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe; the object of worship in monotheistic religions [syn: God, Supreme Being] 2: any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force [syn: deity, divinity, immortal] 3: a man of such superior qualities that he seems like a deity to other people; "he was a god among men" 4: a material effigy that is worshipped as a god; "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"; "money was his god"
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 1:01am On Dec 28, 2005
are we talking of the dictionary meaning of God or what makes a god god........? even if the dictionary meaning; what are we looking at? the noun, verb or the adjective......?dont get your definitions mixed up exu, my submission on God and his creations whom he delight in to give God given god abilities stays!!!
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 1:03am On Dec 28, 2005
so now the word 'god' is a verb

wow.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 1:04am On Dec 28, 2005
just admit you don't know and let someone else have a go....
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 1:15am On Dec 28, 2005
how can a man who doesnt believe in the existence of God turn around to define God? its a paradox---you are the one that should let does who believe in God explain to you what the nature of their God is and not an atheist, as it is we are still on opposite sides of the river, yes exu the word God define a creative, and active power--and that is a verb--active...verb.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 1:20am On Dec 28, 2005
at no point have i said i'm an atheist...

you assume too much...
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 1:21am On Dec 28, 2005
once again, if you think the word 'god' is a verb then you should really consider the meaning of the word 'verb'...

can we get back on topic please...
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 1:24am On Dec 28, 2005
if that is the case then i withdraw that part of my statement, sometimes you need to make your stand on certain issues unequivocal and unambigous.....if you say youre not an atheist then i withdaw my statement, but whatever you believe in the term God as we know it implies the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost which is the active, creative force of God, that to me is a verb quality, god-like in essence would be adjective its all about which side of the quality youre looking at.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 1:27am On Dec 28, 2005
well God made us in his own image, so we are gods---when we see inconsistencies in the word of God, i repeat the inconsistencies reside in our unfruitful knowledge of God, and his word.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2005
God as we know it implies the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost

Again, untrue.

Even in the Bible this is not true; the Bible was written by Jews who did not hold the same ideas about God as Christians do...for them there is only God (singular).

Contrary to what you have claimed the term 'god' so as to avoid confusion has always been used in reference to a sole deity...

Also:
when we see inconsistencies in the word of God, i repeat the inconsistencies reside in our unfruitful knowledge of God, and his word.
What exactly is this 'unfruitful' knowledge of God and where did we gain our 'unfruitful' knowledge

p.s.
the word 'god' is never, ever used as a verb...ever.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 9:41pm On Dec 28, 2005
the word 'god' is never, ever used as a verb...ever

by who? you?

Again, untrue.

Even in the Bible this is not true; the Bible was written by Jews who did not hold the same ideas about God as Christians do...for them there is only God (singular).

Contrary to what you have claimed the term 'god' so as to avoid confusion has always been used in reference to a sole deity...

I "agree" with you
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by Seun(m): 10:08pm On Dec 28, 2005
Exu, let's calm down please. If you want people to explain something to you, you have to be willing to accept whatever they say!
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 10:11pm On Dec 28, 2005
True Seun, but the thing is i am always looking beyond what people say to "why" they say it, exu has an inquisitive mind and i hope he gets his explanation from someone who can explain better to him.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by Rolly: 8:39am On Dec 29, 2005
exu,u really need to calm down. seun and nicetohave have tried to explain it to you but its like u 've made up ur mind and hold ur own beliefs.

seriously, if u really wanted to get answers, u will fa ra bale (calm down) and listen to what they have to say and not argue.

FYI, i have nothing to say on the topic fow now.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2005
i apologise if i appear irritated but...

grin there are things being said that have nothing to do with this thread (see above).
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by chrisd(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2005
Ot means that Human beings are a special and unique creation of God created for a very special purpose in God's plan
The final creation of God was His most impressive. God created a living human being "in His image". No other creature of God was so created.

''So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." Genesis 26,27

Being made in the image of God separates human beings with certain abilities that no other creation has...such as the ability to love, to reason things out, to make plans and decisions. Man has the capacity to think, to feel and to make decisions, while the animal world functions only on instinct.

Humans were also given a living soul that will live forever. Humans were created as "eternal" beings who shall forever exist. This is a gift that no animal species has been given. The soul of man is the eternal part of our existence. It is that part of us that shall live forever even after the physical body is laid to rest at death.

Because of these special characteristics of being made in the image of God as an eternal being, every human being is distinguished to be a special creation. For this reason alone every single person on earth has infinite worth and equal value.

This is the Bible story of the creation. It reveals to us two important lessons.

It reveals from where all things have come, that God has made the entire universe and everything in it just as it currently exists.
It reveals to us that every human being is a unique and special creation of God, and that our lives have a special and important purpose.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by exu(m): 2:12pm On Dec 29, 2005
thank you for your very well thought out answer chrisd...

it's always good to see people think before they reply...

i have a few issues I'd like to raise with you on what you said, unfortunately I can't do that right now...

once again, thanks...

you wrote in depth AND answered my question...I commend you.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by chrisd(m): 2:32pm On Dec 29, 2005
Anytime you want. Good cheers to you.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 3:58pm On Dec 29, 2005
it's always good to see people think before they reply...

do you think before you make a response to what is being said on most thread on this site?..............i find it hard to believe that  lipsrsealed

If a response does not serve your purpose it doesnt serve your purpose, maybe because of the way you have aligned your midgety mind but that doesnt make the others response thoughtless
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by chrisd(m): 4:18pm On Dec 29, 2005
We have one mouth but two ears, to listen and think more than what we babble.
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 4:19pm On Dec 29, 2005
meaning......?
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by Rolly: 4:54pm On Dec 29, 2005
well i think that means that we have two ears to listen well and one mouth to talk carefully right undecided?
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by chrisd(m): 4:57pm On Dec 29, 2005
Yep, you got that right. Welcome
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by nicetohave(m): 5:13pm On Dec 29, 2005
indeed, indeed; please let's get back to the thread, anyone who can say something on what it means by God created us in his own image?
Re: 'God made man in his own image'? by Rolly: 5:14pm On Dec 29, 2005
thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Disappointing Love Story Of A Norwegian Non-muslim Girl And Pakistani Muslim Man / Ten Questions For Religious People. / Abomination? Pastor Undresses Female Church Member On Live TV (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.