Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Benin Coach Claims 'fix' Approach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Benin Coach Claims 'fix' Approach (833 Views)

See The Picture Of A Man Who Claims To Looks Much Like Mikel Obi / .:. Louis Van Gaal Is New Super Eagles Coach .:. / Benin Coach Claims 'fix' Approach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Benin Coach Claims 'fix' Approach by EKENEA(m): 11:01am On Jan 25, 2008
[FROM BBC REPORT.

Benin coach Reinhard Fabisch says he was asked if he would help fix the result of his side's Africa Cup of Nations match against Mali.

Benin lost the Group B match 1-0 after conceding a second-half penalty.

Fabisch is willing to give the Confederation of African Football the name and number of the man who claimed to be from a Singapore-based company.

"He wanted to find out from me if there was any possibility of manipulating the match," Fabisch told BBC Sport.

Interview: Benin coach Reinhard Fabisch

"I told him: 'Look, you have two minutes to leave the hotel or I will call the police'."

Fabisch added that the man - a black African - spoke to him at the team's hotel on Saturday, two days before the Mali defeat.

The man said the company he represented claimed to be able to fix matches across Africa and planned to win money in bets on the tournament's opening goal.

The first goal of the Africa Cup of Nations was Ghana's penalty against Guinea on Sunday 20 January, a game the tournament hosts won 2-1.

"I was astonished that he had the guts to approach a German to fix a football match," said Fabisch.

"I think that African players are vulnerable to this kind of approach, because many of them don't have money.

"This is why poor countries like Benin are targeted.

"I cut him short and told him to leave. It doesn't help football.

"I assume that if someone approaches you like that, then they have that (money) in mind."

Subsequently Fabisch warned his players to tell him if they were approached.

Benin next play Ivory Coast in Sekondi on Friday.

(1) (Reply)

(Ghana 2008) Africa Cup Of Nations Videos In Youtube! / C.ronaldo Gets The European Striker Of The Year 07/08 / 2009 MLB(USA) Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.