Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria (5199 Views)

Married Woman Threatens To Sue Edo State Government Over Loss Of / Tinubu Blasts Party Leaders Over Loss To PDP / Cameroonian Gendarmes Force Bakassi Indigenes To Leave Their Homeland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
News / Africa

Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland in Nigeria

BAKASSI, NIGERIA — Nigeria’s Bakassi people are mourning the loss of their homeland after the Nigerian government declined to appeal 10-year-old ruling by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ceding the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon.

An appeal was the last glimmer of hope for the Bakassi people, who strongly opposed to the transfer of their ancestral home to Cameroon. Nigeria had 10 years to appeal the ICJ ruling but did not do so by the October 10, deadline. The nation’s minister of justice, Mohammed Bello Adoke, summed up the decision by saying “An application for a review is virtually bound to fail.”

Many, like Prince Edem Nsa, say they will not soon forget October 10. “I felt so bad. It was like the ground should open for me to go in and forget about this world,” he said. “It was the saddest day of my life.”

Following the ICJ’s ruling, Cameroon began a gradual takeover of the Bakassi Peninsula in 2006. The takeover caused an exodus of the Bakassi people from the peninsula to Nigeria. Many accused Cameroonian authorities of human rights abuses.

A United Nations brokered accord between Cameroon and Nigeria, specified that on taking over the peninsula, Cameroon should respect the rights of the Bakassi people, who should be free to remain in their homeland. The Bakassi were expected to either become Cameroonian citizens, or retain their Nigerian nationality and be treated as foreigners.

The Bakassi people live in small fishing settlements like this one. (VOA / S. Olukoya)
​​None of the options were attractive to most Bakassi people. Many said that as members of the Efik ethnic group of Nigeria, they had no affinity with any group in Cameroon.

“We can’t become a part of Cameroon, a country whose language we don’t understand," says Nsa. “We don’t know their culture; we are Efik people. I insist. I don’t want to be a Cameroonian.”

Other Bakassi said it was clear that the Cameroonian authorities wanted the Bakassi to leave their old homeland. The coast line around Bakassi Peninsular has petroleum deposits and a thriving fishing industry. The Bakassi say they were opposed because Cameroon wants to take over these resources.

Although Cameroon denies that Bakassi rights had been violated, at least one Nigerian official said there was evidence to the contrary.

David Akate of the Cross Rivers State Emergency Management Agency, a group responsible for rehabilitating Bakassi people fleeing into Nigeria, says there is evidence some of the Bakassi were tortured before leaving the peninsula.

“Some of them come with burns, knife cuts, bullet wounds and signs of beatings, Akate says. “Often they say the injuries were inflicted on them by Cameroonian gendarmes who harass and extort money from them.”

Though the Nigerian government had promised to resettle the Bakassi people fleeing into Nigeria, many of the refugees say very little was put in place for them.

The resettlement area set aside for the Bakassi by the government lacks basic facilities such as housing, water and health care facilities. And though the Bakassi have traditionally made their living through ocean fishing, the re-settlement area is in an inland region at Akpabuyo in Cross River State.

“Life is very difficult for me,” says Ekpeyong Esong, who used to be a fisherman in his homeland. “I no longer fish; there is no job here.”

As the Bakassi people mourn the loss of their homeland, many of them look back with regret at what they consider the failure of the U.N. arbitration mission to guarantee their rights in Cameroon.

“The U.N. is sleeping, because this problem is so alarming. On a daily basis, Nigerians are losing their souls,” says Aston Orung, a native Bakassi who is very unhappy about the plight of his people.

The Bakassi also complain that Nigeria did not do enough to prevent their homeland from being ceded to Cameroon. Many like Nsa, say they are haunted by Nigeria’s refusal to seek a review of the ICJ’s ruling during the 10-year appeal period.

“For the first time, the reality came on me that I have actually lost the grave of my grandfather, the grave of my father, all our deities and the houses we left behind,” says Nsa whose family is considered royalty. “It is like the whole world has been taken away from me. I feel alone in the world.”

Nigeria and Cameroon had been locked in a bitter legal dispute over the Bakassi Peninsula for decades before the court ruling. Nsa says that while peace was attained the Bakassi people were sacrificed in the process.

“We have not only lost our land, we have lost everything,” he said. “We have lost our heritage, our identity, our wealth, everything we had.

“I don’t know how to explain to my children when in future they ask me where they come from, “Nsa concludes.http://www.voanews.com/content/bakassi-people-bitter-over-loss-of-homeland-in-nigeria/1530408.html

Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by onila(f): 8:47pm On Oct 21, 2012
fuc-k cameroon, bantu as-sholes!
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:50pm On Oct 21, 2012
onila: fuc-k cameroon, bantu as-sholes!
lollz, so sad dis people story. cry
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:51pm On Oct 21, 2012
Nigeria became the first country in history to cede its territory and willingly agreed to displace its own citizens, in their home land in peace time, to honour its war time obligations and internationalist.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by onila(f): 9:05pm On Oct 21, 2012
Nigeria had no choice

imagine having to fight cameroonian mor-ons all the time till the world ends just because of that small land
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by MegaMan2020: 12:35am On Oct 22, 2012
Why didn't Jonathan fight this? Bakassi is NIGERIAN land not Camaroonian!!!
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by slimming: 5:16am On Oct 22, 2012
Justice belong to God. They reorganise themselves and start life again
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Callotti: 5:23am On Oct 22, 2012
*Super deleted*
Ewu thread!
Shiooooooooooor.
MILITIA EWU DI KA GI. . .you need to look at the ownerzzz of threads before you carry your azzze inside!
Shioooooooooooooor! angry
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!
NOW MOVE!
'Unfollow sharp-sharp'!
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by ikponma: 5:27am On Oct 22, 2012
God will never forgive Donald Duke $ OBJ for selling Bakassi to cameron. Jonathan is just afraid of OBJ, I know he would have intervene. Well my dear Bakassi brothers,since you have been given a place in Akpabuyo, manage it $ make good use of it. If you are waiting for GOVT to provide all the basic amenities , you will have to wait till forever, so wake up accept your fate $ do whatever your hands find to do $ GOD will bless you all.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by GentleNaaz(m): 6:04am On Oct 22, 2012
Ds hs taught Nigerians a vry big lesson. Dnt mk promise wneva u r excited, hapy or greatly bitterd, cos sumtim some how,u wl regret ova it. But y shud naija opt bakassi indigins 2 lv dia land n becum foriegners in dia own country? Ds is rediculous

1 Like

Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Wsdm: 6:13am On Oct 22, 2012
...... And you think the land of whom the government claim to give you now will ever see you as rightfull owners? Ask those who have spent more than 200 years on a particular land and are still refers to as "settlers". My advise to you is to stay in your ancestral home and start negotiating a peaceful coexistence with you new country. May God see you all through all this unimaginable predicament.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:18am On Oct 22, 2012
Wsdm: ...... And you think the land of whom the government claim to give you now will ever see you as rightfull owners? Ask those who have spent more than 200 years on a particular land and are still refers to as "settlers". My advise to you is to stay in your ancestral home and start negotiating a peaceful coexistence with you new country. May God see you all through all this unimaginable predicament.

Seconded.

"I am totally opposed to the issue of “resettlement” of Bakassi people in Nigeria. Nothing good will ever come of it. The land in which they are being “settled” already belongs to Akpabuyo people. Even before now, Bakassi castaways had been disenfranchised because they are foreigners. Now that the cession is complete, they will be no better treated than the Liberian refugees camped in Ogun State since 1991 when their civil war broke out. They are no longer under our flag. Why live the miserable life of refugees when you can go back to your homeland where you really belong and stay on ur land or territory?

"Those asking for “resettlement” of the Bakassi displaced persons only want to benefit from a post-amnesty look-alike racket. It is the same racket that those clamouring for amnesty for Boko Haram terrorists have been angling for. Therefore I say “No” to Bakassi indigenes “resettlement” in Nigeria just as I opposed a Federal government-funded amnesty deal for Boko Haram. Local elites angle for these “deals” for their own selfish interest.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:20am On Oct 22, 2012
onila: Nigeria had no choice

imagine having to fight cameroonian mor-ons all the time till the world ends just because of that small land

I see ur point but any of the major tribes in Nigeria would have opted for that rather than cede an inch of their territory. Really, can't see peace if that was igbo, yoruba or hausa territory. Dat is just the truth.

The Bakassi people and their surrounding kinsmen participated fully in the conspiracies that led to the confiscation of their land by Cameroon. For forty years they laid back supine and allowed buccaneers from other parts of the country to stomp all over them. In fact, the Igbos were more passionate and vocal for the return of Bakassi to Nigeria than the people who owned the land.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by dasparrow: 6:33am On Oct 22, 2012
@Post

I truly feel for them embarassed
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by eduson55(m): 6:44am On Oct 22, 2012
Too bad..
too bad..
this is bad..
too bad
too bad,
am bitter about this.
its paining me.
it hurts
what faith do we have in Nigeria who can one day sell us out.
ooooh no,my.
its is paining me**gaga
Idris should tell them this.
where are you fella cutie
oooo bakassi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by onila(f): 6:47am On Oct 22, 2012
lazy, greedy drunkards tryna steal some of our wealth. .thats what they are
fuc-king republic of caMoronians!

Truely Bakassi was neglected by Cameroon due to the swampy nature of the place. When Nigeria carried out feasibility studies and found out that there was a huge deposit of crude, they now started building administrative structures When it evetually reached the ears of Yaounde? Cameroon sent forces there and then the confrontation started.

2 Likes

Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by ichidodo: 7:19am On Oct 22, 2012
These people are so unfortunate,F**K GOWON,F**k Awo-ole for cedin their land.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:26am On Oct 22, 2012
I will take back the Land when I become the President......even if it means going to WAR.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by GEDUANI: 7:27am On Oct 22, 2012
Its disheartening that the nija govt can sacrifice the security and satisfaction of her people in the alter of international politics. Nevertheless, in as much as i share the plight and pains of the bakassi people, I still think that their fate lies in their hand. Firstly, the inhabitant of Bakassi can to referred to as stateless people until their right to self determination is recognised.I ll emplore the people of bakassi to see themselves as people capable of constituting themselves as an independent sovereign state alongside nigeria and cameroun. Nevertheless, the strugle for self determination has to commence early and with all intent and purposes.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by GEDUANI: 7:36am On Oct 22, 2012
Its disheartening that the nija govt can sacrifice the security and satisfaction of her people in the alter of international politics. Nevertheless, in as much as i share the plight and pains of the bakassi people, I still think that their fate lies in their hand. Firstly, the inhabitant of Bakassi can to referred to as stateless people until their right to self determination is recognised.I ll emplore the people of bakassi to see themselves as people capable of constituting themselves as an independent sovereign state alongside nigeria and cameroun. Nevertheless, the strugle for self determination has to commence early and with all intent and purposes.
LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC OF BAKASSI
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by AMvanquish: 7:45am On Oct 22, 2012
Its just a shame! Even if the appeal was bound to fail,
Did they even try. No effort whatsoever. Its like saying ur
Home state is now ceded to another country and there's nothing
U can do about it.. And the Federal Government are not doing enough
To aid them forgetting this unfortunate experience. Chei! Foreiner
In my homeland all of a sudden... Smh
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Turbocharged: 7:49am On Oct 22, 2012
This is the highest level of cowardice and stu.pidity. How can a "people" come together and decide to become "settlers" in another land rather than living in their ancestral land. I hv never seen so level stu.pidity in my whole life. Is there anything wrong in being a camerounian?
As for being cowards, what happened PROTEST? What happened to STRUGGLE? What happened to FIGHTING their own cause as a people?...
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by odoguigbo: 7:58am On Oct 22, 2012
hai! Where Gowon? Where is nigeria? You people will never see peace for my brothers into slavery. But come to be realistic of this noble betrayer to the south south region, I can say that this is a pay back fro God to you people for your deeds sabotagious charaters to Biafra during the civil. Just imagine a shameful slap to your and you didn't do any thing you couldn't even have such a defensive mind of brotherhood. Oh! My great homeland(Biafra) wonderful gbosa to you.... I love you somuch. I know that no man can touch the tail's of the lion's kid whether it is dead or alive. Oh! My great nation(biafra) where was born and be saved, my next world to come will be happily choosed to be you son. My fatherland, I'm soundfuly proud of you and the great worriors and men in land of Biafra, I respect all. I will also never forget to extend my humbled regards and total remeberance to the Biafra heroes and their heroins who were sacrificed their live for the sake of love to their fatherland, oh!my heart never ceased feeling the pain of your killings and departure during the war until we assasinate Gowon and regain our freedom. Long live my people!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by ceejay80s(m): 8:01am On Oct 22, 2012
If dis land belong to yoruba or hausa, u think say e go end like dis? one of the oil rich place wey dey east, dem give am to cameroon, the only reason wey dem no appeal is if nigeria splits in future and definitely will split, the east wont have any thing like oil to depend on.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by ichidodo: 8:04am On Oct 22, 2012
odoguigbo: hai! Where Gowon? Where is nigeria? You people will never see peace for my brothers into slavery. But come to be realistic of this noble betrayer to the south south region, I can say that this is a pay back fro God to you people for your deeds sabotagious charaters to Biafra during the civil. Just imagine a shameful slap to your and you didn't do any thing you couldn't even have such a defensive mind of brotherhood. Oh! My great homeland(Biafra) wonderful gbosa to you.... I love you somuch. I know that no man can touch the tail's of the lion's kid whether it is dead or alive. Oh! My great nation(biafra) where was born and be saved, my next world to come will be happily choosed to be you son. My fatherland, I'm soundfuly proud of you and the great worriors and men in land of Biafra, I respect all. I will also never forget to extend my humbled regards and total remeberance to the Biafra heroes and their heroins who were sacrificed their live for the sake of love to their fatherland, oh!my heart never ceased feeling the pain of your killings and departure during the war until we assasinate Gowon and regain our freedom. Long live my people!!!
THERE WAS ONCE A COUNTRY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by churchillfrank(m): 8:11am On Oct 22, 2012
They are just playing politics with these poeples homeland its too bad.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 8:47am On Oct 22, 2012
onila: Nigeria had no choice

Its not just a small land.

Nigeria's leadership has failed big time. I can't imagine the greatest injustice than driving the original owners of the land.
UN did a poor job. Obj and Gowon are failures.
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by killuminati(m): 9:13am On Oct 22, 2012
ichidodo: THERE WAS ONCE A COUNTRY.
you mean BIAFRA? Dem no born dem well
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Policewoman(f): 9:46am On Oct 22, 2012
People should get their facts right and stop blaming Gowon. Obasanjo and the British are to blame. Bakassi was ceded in 1913 in an agreement signed between the British and Germans. The Germans found it difficult to access their colony Cameroun and the seashore of old Calabar in bakassi was their only easy route through. So they signed an anglo-german agreement ceding that territory, up to Yola. However, Bakassi was still seen as a Nigerian territory even after southern camerouns Left Nigeria to join cameroun after the 1914 amalgamation. Now fastfoward to 1993. Cameroun suddenly discovered a huge deposit of oil and gas was present in Bakassi and because of that went to war with Nigeria. The conflict ended in 1994 and that same year, they took Nigeria to the ICJ, Hague. 8 years later in 2002 the court delivered their judgement ceding the territory to Cameroun based on the 1913 AngloGerman agreement. Obasanjo immediately complied with the court order without considering the fate of the indigenes whose anscestral land was being taken from them. Now from that time, Nigeria had options of still occupying Bakassi and asking for a referendum. That is exactly what Britain is doing in the falklands. Even after the ICJ ruled in favour of Argentina. Same as Israel occupying Gaza, even after the ICJ ruled against them. So Obasanjo for reaons well known t him, decided to cede the territory to cameroun. Another optionleft for Nigeria was to appeal the judgement based on some new findings not available at the time of the judgement. This was not done till just some few weeks ago, days to the expiry of the window of appeal. So President Jonathan was right in not appealing because it was just too late to do anything. Therefore, CrossRivers state should hold OBJ and U.K responsible for their woes.

1 Like

Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 22, 2012
killuminati: you mean BIAFRA? Dem no born dem well

Shattap.... Unfortunately BAKASSI was part of biafra thats why OBJ completed the selling but nemesis will catch up with him one day
Re: Bakassi People Bitter Over Loss Of Homeland In Nigeria by JoanJohnson(f): 11:05am On Oct 22, 2012
MegaMan2020: Why didn't Jonathan fight this? Bakassi is NIGERIAN land not Camaroonian!!!

Dnt just say tins u're not sure of or what u dont know of, go and read or ask about this whole saga before commenting. This whole tin have bin going on b4 Jonathan became the president.

(1) (2) (Reply)

North Korea Sends Serious Warning To Nigeria Over Inciting Movie…see / Adams Oshiomhole In Relaxation Mood After Dealing 4 APC Governors.see Pics / 2023: 600 Women Groups To Stage 1 Million Women March For Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.