Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban (12201 Views)

Lagos Threatens To Seize Trucks Between 6am And 9pm / Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / Okada Ban: Motorcycle Dealers Nationwide To Cast Protest Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by omosexy1: 10:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
The Lagos State House of Assembly on Monday threatened to ban commercial motorcycle popularly known as Okada out rightly from the State.

Some Okada riders protesting the ban on them from plying 475 roads in the metropolis.
The Speaker of the House, Adeyemi Ikuforiji made the threat following a report on the destruction of government properties by the protesting Okada riders along Ikorodu road.

The House frowned at the attitude of Okada riders in the metropolis, calling on the state government to further strengthen security agencies to protect lives and property.

Mr Ikuforiji, while reacting to the incident said the House would not hesitate to ban Okada out rightly if the riders continue to destroy government property and constitute nuisance in the State.

Some Okada riders went on the rampage in various parts of Lagos State on Monday to protest the ban on them from plying 475 roads in the metropolis.

At Onipanu, on Ikorodu Road, the protesters vandalised about 10 BRT buses during the violent protest against the Lagos State Government.

Armed with sticks, iron roads and other dangerous weapons, the Okada riders hauled stones at BRT buses on Ikorodu road at Onipanu and Palmgrove bus stops.

There was pandemonium in the area and a team of policemen from the Rapid Response Squad, RRS was deployed to the area to quell the protest.
It was gathered that some arrests were made by the police but the number of arrests is yet to be confirmed.

Similarly, the riders also protested in Ikorodu and Ejigbo areas of the state this morning over the ban on them by government. In Ejigbo, the riders blocked the road, causing traffic jam in the area while they carried leaves and chanted anti-government songs. They rejected the ban placed on them from plying 475 roads in Lagos, saying it would cripple their businesses.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, confirmed the protest, saying the police moved in on time to quell the protest.

Total war on Okada

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Government has declared a total war on commercial motorcycle riders plying the 475 prohibited routes in the Lagos metropolis.

Speaking at a forum to enlighten military officials in Lagos, the State governor, Babatunde Fashola solicited the assistance of the army in the implementation of the new traffic law.

“The military gave us this democracy, so there must be a continuing partnership to keep it going,” Mr Fashola said.

The governor however insisted that such partnership would happen “only where the rule of law prevails.”

He said: “About the Okada, for me, I understand the economics of the okada. But it also has the social effects. Many fathers have lost their children; many husbands have lost their wives; many children have lost both parents.

“All we are saying is don’t go on the highways. First because we must even understand, Okadas and vehicles are automobiles; they are not toys; they are mechanical devices and therefore for you to even use them you must go and train. That’s why you go to driving school to go and learn; then they certify you.

“Somebody just pulls okada from any parts of the country he likes, gets onto a truck, he’s going to Lagos and then you entrust your life to that man? As if that was not bad enough, he drives against traffic?

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/22/lagos-assembly-threatens-total-okada-ban/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Ariyke: 10:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
Hmm
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
Good way to go.....

Atleast all those young hausas and their igbo counterparts will return to their village.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Scarpon(m): 10:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
fashola take am easy n.a. man most wak
if u should grate good jobs for those guys and the ban would have not been bad tell me a man who has five kids and the only mins of In cone is okada.
how would such a man take care his of his family.
eko oni baje ooo

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by newmaonza: 10:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
ACN gra-gra is becoming too much cry......... 2015 is around the corner "e remain small!! grin"
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
“All we are saying is don’t go on the highways. First because we must even understand, Okadas and vehicles are automobiles; they are not toys; they are mechanical devices and therefore for you to even use them you must go and train. That’s why you go to driving school to go and learn; then they certify you".

“Somebody just pulls okada from any parts of the country he likes, gets onto a truck, he’s going to Lagos and then you entrust your life to that man? As if that was not bad enough, he drives against traffic"?

I can't put it any better.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by BedLam: 10:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
I just hope these people are weighing the side effects of this non-sense?
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:47pm On Oct 22, 2012
In as much as I m supporting some Lag laws, this one is a call for trouble. Lagos Lawmakers pls don't ban Okadas totally. Restrict them. These youths are jobless.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by PaulJohn1: 10:47pm On Oct 22, 2012
It won't be a surprise if majority of these okada riders are not Lagosians.
If this is the way they want to go(vandalization), Fashola needs to send them to whatever region/village they're from.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Youngzedd(m): 10:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Good way to go.....

Atleast all those young hausas and their igbo counterparts will return to their village.

Listen to yourself, while not write something reasonable.

Okay for ur mind na only hausas and Igbos do the job?

Must you comment.

13 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by PaulJohn1: 10:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: In as much as I m supporting some Lag laws, this one is a call for trouble. Lagos Lawmakers pls don't ban Okadas totally. Restrict them. These youths are jobless.

Enough jobs are awaiting them in the village.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by erniok(m): 10:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
I hope the police is ready to combat increase in crime that will definitely follow soon.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by damola1: 10:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
If you ban people's job, we will ban you from your rubbish house of corruption...

Laws are meant to protect people and lives not destroy them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Eifeh(m): 10:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Good way to go.....

i pity you, let them banned it lets know which tribe will suffer it ,EWU
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by SamMilla1(m): 10:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
I totally agree that Okadas should get out of highways.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by richjohn1(m): 10:56pm On Oct 22, 2012
Keeping my fingers crossed I cry for dis joke called Nigeria
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by newmaonza: 10:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
Sam Milla: I totally agree that Okadas should get out of highways.
Not in the Manner they are going about it.... mind u itz not FASHOLA that would suffer it( He is heavily Guarded by security men and He has a sirened Convoy to always clear the road for him in case of HEAVY TRAFFIC....)
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ban recklessness...ban carelessness...ban okada!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Youngzedd(m): 11:02pm On Oct 22, 2012
Paul John:

Enough jobs are awaiting them in the village.

Bross easy naa.
My village in particular don full as I dey tell ya, no space for others that traveled out.

Soon it will turn to Ikeja.

Did the government provide atleast the job half of this niggas will engage their selves into.

Sending them to the village isn't a better idea.
Make peoples yam and other food stuff no lost, b4 that unmentionable, drinkable and eatable thing that is ban from NL increase the more.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by franchizy(m): 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
The okada ban is a good omen for Lagosians. Tank you Fashola, tank you CAN the most performing party in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
Paul John: It won't be a surprise if majority of these okada riders are not Lagosians.
If this is the way they want to go(vandalization), Fashola needs to send them to whatever region/village they're from.

Maybe you should define who a "Lagosian" is. If by that, you mean 'indigenes' of Lagos State, then maybe you should know that you fools have not contributed even up to 1% of the wealth/revenues/commerce that makes Lagos what it is. What percentage of the properties and businesses in Lagos is owned by you lazy fools that think you 'own' Lagos?

Without the non-Indigenes, Lagos State would be as wretched as Ebonyi and Gombe et al. Some of you need to put on your thinking caps helmets. "Go back to your village" bla bla bla. . . Only dimwits would say stuff like that.

13 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by richjohn1(m): 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
Untold hardship and pains looming everywhere when will nigerians stop praying and start acting!!! Police and army are reluctantly carrying out dis assignment I pray nigerians know that the time to act right is NOW
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by aljharem(m): 11:06pm On Oct 22, 2012
I really really really HOPE LAGOS STATE BAN THOSE OKADAS.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by aljharem(m): 11:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
Somebody just pulls okada from any parts of the country he likes, gets onto a truck, he’s going to Lagos and then you entrust your life to that man? As if that was not bad enough, he drives against traffic?"

could not have put it better. Anyone that cares about his safety and that of lagosians would see reason of course myopic people would disagree because they only see what is right infront of them

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by aljharem(m): 11:10pm On Oct 22, 2012
new maonza: ACN gra-gra is becoming too much cry......... 2015 is around the corner "e remain small!! grin"

Even if PDP enters, it would be a continuation of this current laws so don't get your hopes high.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by omosexy1: 11:11pm On Oct 22, 2012
My Opinion - I think Okada should be outrightly banned from Lagos. We have many mad persons riding these motorcycles in the city. They don't obey traffic laws, many don't have licenses, some engage in criminal activities. The recent restriction placed on them has revealed the mental capacity of these thugs. Yet, people continue to patronise them and trust them with their lives. On several occasions, I have had to apply caution not to knock down okada riders and passengers on express roads who deliberately choose to ply one-way. Honestly, the State Govt cannot curb these okada menace rather an outright ban is the best way about it. When people cry foul that the crime rate will increase, it then shows that okada riders are the criminals in Lagos. I choose not to believe this, criminals would be criminals (like the ones demolishing and burning social facilities in the state) and those who are not criminals will adjust to other occupations. We should consider our safety first. You put your life at risk by hopping on an okada regardless of the distance of your trip, you put your trust on a total stranger - his driving skills you are yet to ascertain, you increase your chances of being hospitalised because the chances of safety during a collusion is very low with okadas. THINK SAFETY, DESIST FROM USING OKADAS. THERE ARE OTHER MODES OF ROAD TRANSPORT THAT CAN GET YOU TO YOUR LOCATION.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by aljharem(m): 11:15pm On Oct 22, 2012
omosexy1: My Opinion - I think Okada should be outrightly banned from Lagos. We have many mad persons riding these motorcycles in the city. They don't obey traffic laws, many don't have licenses, some engage in criminal activities. The recent restriction placed on them has revealed the mental capacity of these thugs. Yet, people continue to patronise them and trust them with their lives. On several occasions, I have had to apply caution not to knock down okada riders and passengers on express roads who deliberately choose to ply one-way. Honestly, the State Govt cannot curb these okada menace rather an outright ban is the best way about it.

well said, I don't even own a car but I know how bad this so called Okadas are. I also know how bad Keke napep are but they are a better alternative to okadas. I mostly use BRTs and Danfos.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by PaulJohn1: 11:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
Youngzedd:

Bross easy naa.
My village in particular don full as I dey tell ya, no space for others that traveled out.

Soon it will turn to Ikeja.

Did the government provide atleast the job half of this niggas will engage their selves into.

Sending them to the village isn't a better idea.
Make peoples yam and other food stuff no lost, b4 that unmentionable, drinkable and eatable thing that is ban from NL increase the more.

Egbon, no be by force to live in the city. Villages can never be full.
No one wants to farm again, especially S/Westerners.
What are those fertile lands doing? No one to cultivate on them.
If these okada riders are thinking well, farming in the village is going to make them richer than riding okada allover the city.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Jaideyone(m): 11:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
This is a very good development as far as i'm concerned. Though okada makes tranportation easier for Lagosians, the risks are too much. They drive against traffic and make life difficult for people walking on foot. Even when you're driving you have to keep watching out for them or they'll break your head lamp and run away. Come to luth and see the number of patients from Okada accident. They just have to go. We'll soon get used to the new development.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by aljharem(m): 11:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
Paul John:

Egbon, no be by force to live in the city. Villages can never be full.
No one wants to farm again, especially S/Westerners.
What are those fertile lands doing? No one to cultivate on them.
If these okada riders are thinking well, farming in the village is going to make them richer than riding okada allover the city.

gbam, really making the youths intellectually lazy. Okadas are simply not sustainable

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by PaulJohn1: 11:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
pro01:

Maybe you should define who a "Lagosian" is. If by that, you mean 'indigenes' of Lagos State, then maybe you should know that you fools have not contributed even up to 1% of the wealth/revenues/commerce that makes Lagos what it is. What percentage of the properties and businesses in Lagos is owned by you lazy fools that think you 'own' Lagos?

Without the non-Indigenes, Lagos State would be as wretched as Ebonyi and Gombe et al. Some of you need to put on your thinking caps helmets. "Go back to your village" bla bla bla. . . Only dimwits would say stuff like that.

Paul John: It won't be a surprise if majority of these okada riders are not Lagosians.
If this is the way they want to go( vandalization ), Fashola needs to send them to whatever region/village they're from.

Read through before you post.
By the way, I'm not a Lagosian.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Iolo(m): 11:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
new maonza: Not in the Manner they are going about it.... mind u itz not FASHOLA that would suffer it( He is heavily Guarded by security men and He has a sirened Convoy to always clear the road for him in case of HEAVY TRAFFIC....)

Contrary to what you think, Fashola doesn't use a siren, his convoy is quite small (4-5 cars max) and there's no road clearing. Seen his convoy atleast 5 times.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator Chris Ngige & JOHESU Meet Over Ongoing Strike(photos) / 2019: Tambuwal “under Pressure” To Run For President / Osun 2022: BVAS Not Used In 749 Polling Units – Witness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.