Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban (12196 Views)

Lagos Threatens To Seize Trucks Between 6am And 9pm / Crisis: Lagos Threatens To Shut Ladipo Market. / Okada Ban: Motorcycle Dealers Nationwide To Cast Protest Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by segunn20(m): 9:40am On Oct 23, 2012
ACN bad government
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by alex406(m): 10:08am On Oct 23, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Good way to go.....

Atleast all those young hausas and their igbo counterparts will return to their village.
Why is it that fools like you dont have human mercy and sympathy,people like you nust not be God. Your ignorant acn government did not provide alternative means on livelihood to them. If all of them turn to robbery will your stinking life be safe? Think before you talk.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 23, 2012
alj harem: Heck Seun did not go to school and he made Nairaland, he does not have two heads. Everything in life requires prayer and deep thinking.

Seun did not go to school?
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by JOXY(f): 10:47am On Oct 23, 2012
odoguigbo: Fashola, you are really insane! Were you not the same that condenmed Jonathan's decision for sending the militry troops into the Lagos zones during when were protesting against the subsidy; by asking him to withdraw the sqaud from the state with a very immidiate effect that we are in a Democracy which we have every write to say "NO" to that which is not favourable to us? Now is your turn and you remember that militry still have to control your government. By the way, mr. Fash or Fake, those houses that you demolished had you the purpose of their demolision? Fashola, you are fake like your father Tinubu(Tinubu)!

WHY, don't you fear GOD. Must you curse the one that God has already blessed. INSANE? That was too much.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by delpee(f): 11:49am On Oct 23, 2012
When okadas and riders were loaded into trailers and taken out of Abuja to their respective states, commuters were badly hit. El Rufai then made a point that he couldnt be held responsible for bad governance in other states which pushed the young ones to poverty and okada business. A short while later everyone adjusted and the rate of accidents and robberies dropped sharply.

I dont see the need for a total ban though. They should be limited to smaller roads as stated in the new law.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by dabossman(m): 12:12pm On Oct 23, 2012
omosexy1: My Opinion - When people cry foul that the crime rate will increase, it then shows that okada riders are the criminals in Lagos. I choose not to believe this, criminals would be criminals (like the ones demolishing and burning social facilities in the state) and those who are not criminals will adjust to other occupations. We should consider our safety first. You put your life at risk by hopping on an okada regardless of the distance of your trip, you put your trust on a total stranger - his driving skills you are yet to ascertain, you increase your chances of being hospitalised because the chances of safety during a collusion is very low with okadas.

I couldn't agree with you more. A lot of people said Lagos should be ready for an increase in the crime rate if Fashola goes ahead with clearing traders from Oshodi, Mushin and some other highways. Today the traders are off the highway and the crime rate is not any high than it was before then. If armed robbery was that easy some of us won't be working o! We'd just be carrying guns and robbing people. Besides, these guys had a chance to pick armed robbery before and chose okada business instead. They should just try and modify their route instead of becoming a public nuisance. Stop making it seem like every okada man is an armed robber. Some of them have other skilled jobs if you don't know.

In truth, it is not the "poor" masses that ride Okadas on the highways, it is the working class. The average market woman or N18,00 minimum wage earner will never pay N400-500 to ride from Cele bus stop to Ikotun or Ijegun when she can take a bus at N100-150. They can't afford to take a bike from Abule-Egba to Oshodi or Ikeja Along every day of the week. Or ride from Ikeja to Obalande through third mainland bridge, or Ketu to Apongbon. They use danfo, molue and BRT.

It's the pseudo-middle class that do that. I used to be like that, spending about 20-25K monthly biking to and from work, until I found myself sprawling on the floor after the okada I was on lost control one faithful morning. Thankfully, my backpack broke my fall and there was no car coming behind us. That day I asked myself a simple question; "What if I had a car, wouldn't I drive it through this traffic I say I'm trying to avoid everyday?" From then on I started leaving home very early, like car owners in my estate, so I could ride the bus to work. That was when I discovered how much I was spending monthly on my very dangerous habit.

Today, I have a car and when okada men show me their "skills" on the road, I just wonder at the risk I was taking all those years before I saw the light. Entrusting my life to a total stranger who is most likely high on only God knows what. I shudder at the thought.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by dabossman(m): 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2012
Jarus: I am a regular okada patron, twice 'flew' it from VI to MMIA Ikeja to catch late flights, not to talk of the many times I had 'flown' it on Lekki-Ajah expressway to and from work.

But I fully endorse this action. There are too many reported okada accidents on highways, with its attendant fatalities. Banning will affect me too, but I am ready to take the sacrifice. It will also help me to be more time-conscious, and jettison my 'I go fly bike reach there in 20 minutes' mentality, rather than setting out early enough.

The cost is just too much. The ban on highways is in order. BRF has my support.

And therein lies the problem for most people. Do you know that this okada men that many are supporting here put a lot of taxi drivers and 'Kabukabus' out of business. I remember in the late 90's till early 2000's in my neighbourhood, you could get a kabukabu from the major highway into the inner streets. Today, those cabs don't exist anymore. Okadas took over because many people see them as a quick means of transportation. I used to leave home at about 7am to 'fly' a bike to work before. Now i leave an hour earlier to drive down. May this quick fix mentality not land people in Igbobi o!
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 23, 2012
ijigbamigb: In 2005, Okada riders in Lagos were about 21,000, and now there are more than 40,000 okada riders in Lagos with the tendency to surpass 100,000 in 2016.

I believe its better to do this now. I would even go for a total ban on Okadas in the State. Why? An Okada rider earns at least 4k daily in Lagos, and this juicy earnings attracts more unemployed youths from other parts of the country (someone once came to source for fund from me to get an okada and head to Lagos for business).

Statistics have proven that okada accidents commands a very high percentage of cases in the accident and emergency wards of the health centers and teaching hospitals in Lagos.

Though Lagos is creating more unemployed people, but they have to start to fight this now. I don't live in Lagos anymore and may not return in d nearest future, but I feel Lagos needs to save the future by starting now.

For those crying foul, head to bariga, ojuelegba to idi araba, mushin to itire-ikate, to ijeshatedo, to aguda, eric moore etc. You will find an alarming rate of okada riders performing risky stunts on the roads and these are not even major highways.

Fashola can just introduce an Okada for Cash policy for them, where he will offer them 100K naira for one okada. And will easily get the 40,000 bikes at less than a billion.

Is that a flawed statistic? The OKada in Lagos road should be well above 300,000 in numbers and that will cost the government =N=30,000,000,000.

The people will go to their villages importing barely working Okada just to get the money. There is no where in the world government will pay you for such thing. When you are caught with banned vehicle it will be impounded and crushed or you'll have to pay some money to get it back.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Homogeneositys(f): 1:23pm On Oct 23, 2012
This law will simply increase crime rate.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by rollystone(m): 1:43pm On Oct 23, 2012
ic regulations joining d trade wt severe consequences to those dat hv fallen victim. Government has a responsibility to protect d lives of its citizens n maintain law n order. I totally support d government on its position on okada in Lagos state.Any okada rider dat fails to comply shud face d consequences. Afteral some states hv placed an outright ban on them. Y is Lagos own different?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Smooyis(m): 1:48pm On Oct 23, 2012
At think the only mistake fashola is making is that there is no arrangement on ground to cushion d effects of all these policies. For me, banning okada in lagos is a welcome development. This will go a long way to bring sanity to our roads, and check unnecessary accidents on a daily basis. But in all these d people must be well carried along.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by jaso1(m): 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2012
I quiet understand that increment and avoidable unemployment has made vast number of our people an Okada rider. Here you have a graduate riding Okada to sustain leaving but one must not deviate from the truth that; 1- no One will ever want his children to inherit Okada riding as a legacy. 2- That Nigeria is gradually facing out apprentice, our mechanics, Furniture etc. are presently fading and no one to take up the job from them. What Fashola is doing is for our own benefit and we should be genue in our criticism. Is just been fear to us all and ensuring that our collective lives are important to him as a governor. In all righteousness if nothing is been done urgently we may end up sourcing for an ordinary car mechanic in Ghana or Niger. Therefore the need to prevent all explained and embracing this action is required for a better future for our people.

Stop criticizing without deep thinking.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by freeminded(m): 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Good way to go.....

Atleast all those young hausas and their igbo counterparts will return to their village.
. U no get sense at all.luk @ d rubbish u r saying.ode
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Jarus(m): 2:55pm On Oct 23, 2012
dabossman:

And therein lies the problem for most people. Do you know that this okada men that many are supporting here put a lot of taxi drivers and 'Kabukabus' out of business. I remember in the late 90's till early 2000's in my neighbourhood, you could get a kabukabu from the major highway into the inner streets. Today, those cabs don't exist anymore. Okadas took over because many people see them as a quick means of transportation. I used to leave home at about 7am to 'fly' a bike to work before. Now i leave an hour earlier to drive down. May this quick fix mentality not land people in Igbobi o!

If I want to drive to work I set out by 6am, but the fact that I can 'fly' bike by 7 and still get to work by 8 has made me abandon my car on weekdays. Now, the discipline of leaving early has to be re-awakened.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Jarus(m): 3:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
All these economic factors(unemployment etc) people are marshalling come no where near the fatality that is a risk with okada on highways. We are talking about death and injury here. No be person wey get life go think of employment.

In any case they can still make their income plying permissible roads and streets.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
Honestly..it still beat me to understand how a sane mind will fly bike on an highway...

Coupled of weeks ago..I was with a friend in one of these places that "set" broken bones...99% of the victims were from Okada accidents, with many permanently disabled.

Really the couple of hours in saving can lead to years of agonizing for any unfortunate patron.

You don't need to be highly intelligent to know that flying Okada on the highway is akin to putting rope on the neck..its suicidal!
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Jeff148(m): 4:41pm On Oct 23, 2012
[OYINBOGOJU]Good way to go.....

Am not surprised,as long as their is no age limit on who to comment...smh
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by hardbody: 6:31pm On Oct 23, 2012
pro01:

Maybe you should define who a "Lagosian" is. If by that, you mean 'indigenes' of Lagos State, then maybe you should know that you fools have not contributed even up to 1% of the wealth/revenues/commerce that makes Lagos what it is. What percentage of the properties and businesses in Lagos is owned by you lazy fools that think you 'own' Lagos?

Without the non-Indigenes, Lagos State would be as wretched as Ebonyi and Gombe et al. Some of you need to put on your thinking caps helmets. "Go back to your village" bla bla bla. . . Only dimwits would say stuff like that.

A case in point is Lagos between December 25 and January second week of each succeeding year. Bros i feel you die
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 23, 2012
hardbody:

A case in point is Lagos between December 25 and January second week of each succeeding year. Bros i feel you die

...and if you must know, that period of the year happens to be most peaceful..most enjoyable time to live in Lagos. After all you intruders must be in your erosion laden villages.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by aljharem(m): 6:59pm On Oct 23, 2012
So because crime rate would increase, we should keep condoling Okadas ? We should accept under development ?
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by lukkie(m): 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
pro01:

Maybe you should define who a "Lagosian" is. If by that, you mean 'indigenes' of Lagos State, then maybe you should know that you fools have not contributed even up to 1% of the wealth/revenues/commerce that makes Lagos what it is. What percentage of the properties and businesses in Lagos is owned by you lazy fools that think you 'own' Lagos?

Without the non-Indigenes, Lagos State would be as wretched as Ebonyi and Gombe et al. Some of you need to put on your thinking caps helmets. "Go back to your village" bla bla bla. . . Only dimwits would say stuff like that.

Story, story. If you don't have any meaningful thing doing in Lagos, go back to your village & farm. Lagos will not miss you. The last time I checked, Lagos has one of the smallest land masses in Nigeria. Anybody that earns less than 50k monthly in Lagos, abeg relocate.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by maskara01: 6:48am On Oct 24, 2012
Apparently some folks spend their useful time looking out for Fashola's car! Fair enuf.
To the issue, fashola said a lot of people have lost their lives due to okada abi? Of all the 1 chance stories we've heard, why dint they go on to ban Buses in Lagos? Of all the crashes we've had on Lagos Ibadan express way, why was the road not closed?
When u said that anybody should not just pull up a bike and start driving but rather should go for certification, which by the way its good who gets to pay? Hmm?
I know a graduate without work for 3 years, and finally he got a a bike and an additional 2 from Ajo contibution money. That brings in money for him and now 2 of those bikes have been collected. What do u expect him to resolve to? Armed robbery or begging?
When someone who has never ridden on Okada wakes up one morning to ban bikes, I'll call that insanity of the highest order.
In my own view, I'll propose that the Lasgos Govt looks into this ban issue all over again. Common december is here and they are just gonna let these guys do desperate things to survive.
For the records, I dint own a bike!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by maskara01: 6:52am On Oct 24, 2012
Abeg Lukkei? How much do u earn? N55k? U better keep quiet.
If your current job (that's if u have one) was well paying, u won't be using ur useful man hours surfing the web! Mumu! I wonder why administrators don't request for brain check certificates before some people open their Nairaland acct.
"If u earn less than N50k, go back to your village" rubbish talk.....when u no even know wetin be ur country's current minimum wage.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by lagbaja1: 9:27am On Oct 24, 2012
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by lukkie(m): 11:42am On Oct 24, 2012
maskara01: Abeg Lukkei? How much do u earn? N55k? U better keep quiet.
If your current job (that's if u have one) was well paying, u won't be using ur useful man hours surfing the web! Mumu! I wonder why administrators don't request for brain check certificates before some people open their Nairaland acct.
"If u earn less than N50k, go back to your village" rubbish talk.....when u no even know wetin be ur country's current minimum wage.

No, I don't earn anything - I'm a toddler. Ode! You guys talk as if you can hold Lagos to ransom with your miserable lives. I think people should stop threatening, follow it up with actions. Leave Lagos en-masse & watch it become a ghost city. She you're the ones that made it what it is. Go back home & turn your states to mega-cities too. Or is Mr. Fashola responsible for the joblessness in your home state?

Rivers, Akwa-Ibom & other states banned okadas long ago & the heavens have not fallen. Fashola has not banned it o. It's just a restriction & you're peeing in your pants, threatening increase in crime rates. Go carry gun & face police now.
Re: Lagos Threatens Total Okada Ban by maskara01: 7:40am On Oct 25, 2012
Lukkie: ThankGod u responded. I was hoping that u'll do this for me to assertain ur level of intelligence (which by the way I just did, judging from ur vage response).
I see that u are fan of quick and sharp policies been made without critically considering its ripple effects on the economy. For that singular reason u are Daft (with a capital letter D) but I won't just sit back and watch u corrupt ur brain settings so I'll lecture u.
In developed countries, before polices are made or passed surveys are taken from everywhere to get an estimated response from a large bunch of the population. In nigeria, the opposite is what we have. When last did ur representative (that's if u know him) ever come back to ur constituency to discuss polices they are about to delibrate on with u? Even if they do I doubt if u'll be able to understand what is been discussed.
Imagine the world without china? If its possible then imagine Lagos without okada! Before you ban okadas, what measures have you put in place to cushion its effects? Fashola said the okadas have killed people and I want to ask him that when roads are bad having portholes similar to boreholes is that not capable of killing people? He also said okadas are used for robbind abi? How many cases of one chance and kiddnapping have u heard the yellow buses carry out? A lot! Have they banned them? Not. Do u say because accidents happen u close a road? I see u don't see things from that point of view.
In the first term, he need their votes and gave them helmets abi? And now that he's not coming back he can affors to do with out them.
Does banning bikes in a state turn ur state into a mega city? Having a mega city starts from having a change in mind set of the citizenry first. Then we would have set our paths unto a mega city. Even in paris we have scooters!
What we are saying is don't ban them but u can regulate them. You can even make money from them.
I see that u don't go out because if u do and u see what people go tru outside eg lekki, sandfill, ozumba etc then u won't be sitting back vomitting nonsense.
You said people should go back to village abi? I won't banter words with u because I see that u are not that intelligent to understand what ever am gonna explain to u.
Am not gonna force my believe on u but I'll love to review ur thinking and reasoning before coming online to post messages.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hoodlums Attempt To Bomb APC's Office In Ebonyi, APGA’s Destroyed / Ojogbane Adegbe Sues EFCC For N100m / Abia Launches New Emergency Ambulances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.