Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars (13386 Views)

Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars / Nigeria Exports Power To Republic Of Benin: Why? / Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Sijo01(f): 3:26pm On Oct 23, 2012
*drowsy*..... Have to stop reading half way before I fall face down.
With the little I read, its so 100% truth. Smh for 'Nigeria'.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by frankcimc(m): 3:27pm On Oct 23, 2012
Like Gbawe said on another tread we need to begin to hold our leaders responsible for a lot of things seriously, They were suppose to provide directions as a leader but ...
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by ITbomb(m): 3:29pm On Oct 23, 2012
Truly a masterpiece
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by frankcimc(m): 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2012
jamace: Would it be economically wise for Nigeria to tax churches with branches abroad to get revenue? Just thinking aloud o.

Yes it will be very very wise.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by jawjaw1: 3:31pm On Oct 23, 2012
Permit me to bring another angle to this issue. As long as Nigeria refuses to let the best hands run every sensitive position in the country and instead continues to promote mediocrity there will never be change. Did you watch the US presidential debate held last nite/early this morning? Those were 2 highly intelligent men talking about issues that concern Americans. Just try and imagine GEJ in such a debate, lol. It is also a known fact that there are people in the national assembly who can even write their names.
So the question I ask is how do you expect Nigeria to make any form of progress with these kind of people? Believe me, you can't make intelligent progress with unintelligent people.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by ANALIST: 3:31pm On Oct 23, 2012
It' does border much on how we blame anyone for the bedeviling of our country, but we not hastily forget when and how it started; when women gave orders for the release of state funds to anyone she deemed favored, when our national income through oil was used to compensate some Ex-General for their meritorious service to the nation, when adjustment in standard of living of Nigerians was made by force on all vied government policy, when contracts of national development was sacrificed and diverted into electrol campaign and winning it by all means, when things fell apart because the centre can not hold its water, when Crusader where killed because they demanded for Fair play in the affairs of governance, not to mention the acceptance of fraud in the electrol system that brought them to power, to mention but a few. These are all CORRUTION, MAL-ADMINISTRATION AND NEGLECT OF RESPONSILITY IN GOVERNANCE.
All must be ready and put in their best to ensure that we roll back this demon called CORRUPTION which knoweth not the intention of men unless we, through our greed accept its thoughts and demands.
This is the time for TRANSFORMATION OF MIND AND APPROACH TO ISSUES SENSITIVE OR NOT.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2012
eduson55: Nigeria exports religion, India exports cars
BY AZUKA ONWUKA

The biggest country in Africa that the United Kingdom colonised is Nigeria. The biggest country that the United Kingdom colonised in Asia is India (which then comprised the present Pakistan and Bangladesh).

When the UK came into Nigeria and India, like all other countries they colonised, they brought along their technology, religion (Christianity), and culture: names, dressing, food, and language, among others. Try as hard as the British did, India rejected the British religion, names, dressing, food, and even language, but they did not reject the British technology. Today, 80.5 per cent of Indians are Hindus; 13.4 per cent Muslims; 2.3 per cent Christians; 1.9 per cent Sikhs; 0.8 per cent Buddhists, among others. Hindi is the official language of the government of India, but English is used extensively in business and administration and has the status of a “subsidiary official language.” Interestingly, it is rare to find an Indian with an English name or dressed in suit.

On the other hand, Nigeria embraced, to a large extent, the British religion, British culture – names, dressing, foods, and language – but, ironically, rejected the British technology. The difference between the Nigerian and the Indian experiences is that while India is proud of its heritage, Nigeria takes little pride in its own heritage, a situation that has affected the nationalism of Nigerians and our development as a nation.

Before the advent of Christianity, the Arabs had brought Islam into Nigeria through the North. Islam also wiped away much of the culture of Northern Nigeria. Today, the North has only Sharia courts but no Customary courts. So from the North to the South of Nigeria, the Western World and the Eastern World have shaped our lives to be like theirs and we have lost much or all of our identity.

Long after the Whites and Arabs left Nigeria, Nigeria has waxed strong in religion to the extent that Nigerians now set up branches of their home-grown churches in Europe, the Americas, Asia and other African countries. Just like the Whites brought the gospel to us, Nigerians now take the gospel back to the Whites. In Islam, we are also very vibrant to the extent that if there is a blasphemous comment against Islam in Denmark or the US, even if there is no violent reaction in Saudi Arabia, the Islamic headquarters of the world, there will be loss of lives and destruction of property in Nigeria. If the United Arab Emirates, a country with 75 per cent Muslims, is erecting the tallest building in the world and encouraging the world to come and invest in its territory by providing a friendly environment, Boko Haram ensures that the economy of the North (and by extension that of Nigeria) is crippled with bombs and bullets unless every Nigerian converts to Boko Haram’s brand of Islam. We are indeed a very religious people.

Meanwhile, as we are building the biggest churches and mosques, the Indians, South Africans, Chinese, Europeans and Americans have taken over our key markets: telecoms, satellite TV, multinationals, banking, oil and gas, automobile, aviation, and hospitality industries among others.

Ironically, despite our exploits in religion, we are a people with little godliness, a people without scruples. It is rare to do business with a Nigerian pastor, deacon, knight, elder, brother, sister, imam, mullah, mallam, alhaji or alhaja without the person laying landmines of bribes and deception on your path. We call it PR, facilitation fee, processing fee, transport money, financial engineering, deal, or whatever. But if it does not change hands, no show. And when it is amassed, we say it is “God’s blessings.” Some people assume that sleaze is a problem of public functionaries, but the private sector seems to be worse than the public sector these days.

One would have assumed that the more churches and mosques that spring up in every nook and cranny of Nigeria, the higher the morals in our society. But it is not so. The situation is that the more religious we get, the baser we become. Our land never knew the type of bloodshed experienced from religious extremists, political desperadoes, ritual killers, armed robbers, kidnappers, internet scammers, university cultists, and lynch mobs. Life has become so cheap and brutish that everyday seems to be a bonanza.

We import petrol even when we have crude oil in abundance. We also import rice and beans that our land can produce in abundance. We even import toothpicks that primary school children can produce with little or no effort. Yet, we drive the best of cars and live in the best of edifices, visit the best places in the world for holidays and use the most expensive electronic and telecoms gadgets. It is now a sign of poverty for a Nigerian to ride a saloon car. Four-wheel drive vehicles are the in thing. Even government officials, who were known to use only Peugeot products as official cars as a sign of modesty, have upgraded to Toyota Prado as official vehicle without any iota of shame, in a country where about 70 per cent live below poverty line. Private jets have become as common as cars. A nation that imports toothpicks and pins flaunts wealth and wallows in ostentation at a time its children are trooping to Ghana, South Africa and the UK for university education and its sick people are running to India for treatment.

India produces automobile and exports it to the world. India’s medical care is second to none, with even Americans and Europeans travelling to the country for medical treatment. India has joined the nuclear powers nations. India has launched a successful mission to the moon. Yet bicycles and tricycles are common sights in India. But in Nigeria, only the wretched of the earth ride bicycles.

I have intentionally chosen to compare Nigeria with India rather than China, South Korea, Brazil, Malaysia, or Singapore, because of the similarities between India and Nigeria. But these countries were not as promising as Nigeria at the time of our independence.

Some would say that our undoing is our size: the 2012 United Nations estimate puts Nigeria’s population at 166,000 million, while India has a population of 1.2 billion. Some would blame it on the multiplicity of ethnic groups: we have 250 ethnic groups, India has more than 2,000. Some would hang it on the diversity in religion: we have two major religions — Christianity and Islam; but India has many. Some would say it is because we are young as an independent nation: we have 52 years of independence; India has 65 years. Apartheid ended in South Africa only in 1994.

I am a Christian, and nothing can change me from Christianity. But I think that our country is daily sinking into religiosity to the detriment of godliness. Our land is sick and needs healing. “If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land” is still a saying that is germane to our current situation. We need more godliness than religion; more work and less of hope; and more action and less of words.

Let everyone tidy up his or her corner first and demand fervently that our leaders tidy their areas of governance. Our nation is degenerating at a fast pace and we need to save it now or it may be too late. via PUNCH

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/nigeria-exports-religion-india-exports-cars/
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Afam4eva(m): 3:33pm On Oct 23, 2012
HNosegbe:

Actually Belgium is roughly equally divided between Dutch-speaking Flemings and French-speaking Walloons. Comes close enough, doesn't it? Of course it doesn't.

Nigeria is one complex country, I tell ya.
In NIgeria we have 3 Major ethnic group(at least 30 million each) and so many minority group that are at least one million each. Plus the fact that Nigeria is a nation of 150 million people compared to Belgium's 11 million.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by OkwaIfugo(m): 3:33pm On Oct 23, 2012
haahhahaha this is so funny.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by buchibabe: 3:35pm On Oct 23, 2012
lepasharon: Seriously... stop making nigerians feel bad undecided

Its nt for nigerians to feel bad ,bt to sit up!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 23, 2012
Why are some people even quoting the whole topic? Shey dem no see am before? Why quoting the whole topic without giving solution? Na wa! angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by sweetaquifer(f): 3:40pm On Oct 23, 2012
eduson55: what is wrong with you?are you still a kid?
must you shout over your religion?
or you didn't see Christians mentioned there?
thats the problem with our muslim brothers....so hot-headed and mentally violent. If islam is not exalted above every other religion, they see a cause for violence or verbal confrontation.....take it easy, you didn't really choose to be a muslim, you jus discorvered u were born a muslim
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by plaetton: 3:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
Who says we are exporting religion?
Noooooooooooooo.
To say Nigeria is exporting religion is to say that we are exporting our own religions, like Ifa, etc. No No No.

What Nigeria is doing is that we are making sure that those Africans who have escaped to the Diaspora ,not be allowed to see the light of civilized thought processes.

So the so-called religion we are exporting are just successful attempts to extend and more importantly, to maintain the yolk of ignorance, superstition and fear to our brothers and sisters in the Diaspora. Nothing more.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Toktee(m): 3:46pm On Oct 23, 2012
jamace: Would it be economically wise for Nigeria to tax churches with branches abroad to get revenue? Just thinking aloud o.
I think that will be better since they focus on making money instead of winning souls 4 heaven,imagine what government will get frm oyedepo and adeboye alone
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
Pergrace:

My dear sister,pls profer one nah... cheesy cheesy cheesy
the one wey my forefathers don dey talk since,dem no hear.shey na my own dem go hear bah? I no get power for talk talk!
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by saintohia: 3:49pm On Oct 23, 2012
It's actually correct, I read it in today's Punch.

The aspect that is most annoying is that, when you evaluate how religious Nigerians are compared to what's obtainable, you would want say that any atom of religion should be forbidden in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Horus(m): 3:50pm On Oct 23, 2012
Nigerians should build cars instead of building churchs and mosques.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Jyde89: 3:50pm On Oct 23, 2012
Horus: Many indians who live in Europe bring back their skills and work experience from abroad to India to boost their economy.
Nigerians living abroad should do the same to create more economic grow in Nigeria.
i pray
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by ITbomb(m): 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2012
Jyde89: i pray
U pray so that Aluu community would burn them to death for stealing Iphone.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by obi123: 3:54pm On Oct 23, 2012
2 million: All u guys have said can just be summarized with one word...CORRUPTION...right from independence till date, from d public to d private sector, from churches to mosques, from govt to the masses....CORRUPTION....is our only problem. And if we wish to be greater than India or Brazil or China, we must do away with our corrupt leaders, we must spend our monies in Nigeria instead of going abroad...etc. As long as there is corruption, there must always be ethnic differences, forget the boko haram boys, if there where gainfully employed even eithout going to school they wouldn't have had the time to plot terrorism.

even these countries you have mentioned have corruption issues too but somehow they still manage to perform better than we do , the problem is that it pays a few people for us to remain where we are, for there not to be progress , in all honesty there is really no excuse for us to be where we are right now.
in fact scientists are closer to finding a cure for HIV than we are in terms of take for instance finding the solution to the electricity problem in the country, its a shame
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by obi123: 3:57pm On Oct 23, 2012
Horus: Many indians who live in Europe bring back their skills and work experience from abroad to India to boost their economy.
Nigerians living abroad should do the same to create more economic grow in Nigeria.
yes but what of the Nigerians living in Nigeria, are they not good enough ?
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by AjCityOne: 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2012
sweet-aquifer:

thats the problem with our muslim brothers....so hot-headed and mentally violent. If islam is not exalted above every other religion, they see a cause for violence or verbal confrontation.....take it easy, you didn't really choose to be a muslim, you jus discorvered u were born a muslim

Dude are u serious? Did you even read the article at all? Because if you did then you won't be writing about religion when the writer just pointed out that people like you are the source of Nigeria problems. Why can't we just focus on the real issues facing this country without being sentimental or tribalistic about it. Corruption, Religion, tribal sentiment and ego are all Nigerians problem if you asked me.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by saintohia: 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2012
The other part of it that is killing is:

When you visit any of the countries where each religion started, the believe of most of their highly educated and intelligent people is different from what we believe and practice here, or majority would be practicing the religion they are originally known for, not borrowed religion.

Sometimes I sincerely see it as part of conspiracy used and being implemented by the West to confuse and tie Africans down.

Please, NLers what you ppl think?
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2012
berem: Why are some people even quoting the whole topic? Shey dem no see am before? Why quoting the whole topic without giving solution? Na wa! angry

The solution is self evaluation. Each person must look inward and decide to be a better human being and hence a better Nigerian. This includes everything; don't litter the streets, don't give or accept bribes, don't jump cues, pay your tax , obey all the laws of the land, be humane to your employees, don't enployee underaged girls as maids....e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Nice2all: 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2012
Change is far from Nigeria. We are ruled by extremely greedy and wicked politician who care less about the masses. Each time i travelled abroad, I always ask myself one question "Can Nigeria attain this standard?" Honestly, we are far far far away and our attitude show no signs that we desire a change

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by adeara(m): 4:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
i dont like people who write vices aganst nigria, is it not all these dat we write dat give other people of d wold bad impresion abut us ? tink of wat u can do 4 ur contry is a well known saying, is writing vice articu against ones contry d way 2 do sometin 4 it? dis riter shud remove log frm his eyes bf he shud tel oders 2 remove mote fr dea eyes, i gues d riter flirt arond, he take sometins dat belong 2 d company and nigria 4 pesona use witout permision. tank u a lot

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Pergrace: 4:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
berem: the one wey my forefathers don dey talk since,dem no hear.shey na my own dem go hear bah? I no get power for talk talk!

There was no Nairaland then, but now there is,your voice will be heardgrin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Jyde89: 4:01pm On Oct 23, 2012
All i can say is, o God of creation; make our course a noble one, guide our leader's right and enlighten our youth's the more. May we grow in love and honesty and live in justice and truth, may the of wind reorientation sweep through this country and heal us all, may our flag once again be the toast of all. And may your peace and justice reign in my country...... Amen, i've vowed never to speak ill of my country again regardless of her many short coming's, so help me God.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 23, 2012
A very good article......... bang on point.....

We cant even supply ourselves basic electricity, and we say we are smart people? We need to do some soul searching as a Nation. There are too many stupid people in Nigeria....

The worst thing is that most of these stupid people in Nigeria won't even admit it, despite overwhelming evidence to suggest they are stupid......

Our culture of showing off is killing us.. What this culture does is that it initiates artificial envy. ' I want them to see me in the best cars, shoes, designer clothes, etc....'........

If John sees Paul wearing designers, soon John thinks he has to outdo Paul by also getting his own designers by all means.. In the process, he comes to Obo_man's house to burgle and rob...

So the cycle continues....

How do we break the cycle? We have to replace this showing off culture with simplicity and common sense....... Example of common sense in action ( A 100km pothole free good road has to take priority over 100 imported Government Range Rovers)
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Jyde89: 4:05pm On Oct 23, 2012
ITbomb:
U pray so that Aluu community would burn them to death for stealing Iphone.
my brother let the matter rest, thier'er worst thing's happening all around the world, even in God's own country. Let us not claim the monopoly of inhumanity.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by Horus(m): 4:07pm On Oct 23, 2012
obi123:
yes but what of the Nigerians living in Nigeria, are they not good enough ?

If they are good enough they are waiting for what to invest in Nigeria and build the Nigerian economy?
We want results. By now they should have started to build and export Nigerian cars.
Re: Nigeria Exports Religion, India Exports Cars by arm4u: 4:07pm On Oct 23, 2012
What is ARM?

ARM stands for African Revolutionary Movement!
Why is Africa so backward?
Why are we so poor in the midst of plenty?
Are we really inferior to other continents/races?
Is there hope for African and Africans?

We have been in the dark for ages but now is our time.
We need a revolution! I don’t mean arms struggle neither do we need arms struggle.

Yet welcome to ARM (African Revolutionary Movement).
Africa needs a Revolution! A Mental Revolution!
It is our mission to cause a Revolution. It is our vision to “light up” Africa.

Who said that we are the Dark Continent?
No! We are not a dark continent.
We just ignorantly refused to turn ON the Light!

It is time to light up of Africa!

follow us on
FB: http://www.facebook.com/arm4good
tweeter: @arm_tweetings
wordpress: http://arm4u.
email: info2.arm@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nkechi Nwogu: Abia State Is Rotten Under PDP / 2023: US Govt Threatens Visa Ban On Election Riggers, Backs Adoption Of BVAS / Any Policeman Who Extorts Nigerians Is An Armed Robber – Force PRO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.