Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets (14224 Views)

BlackBerry Q5 For Emerging Markets Announced / How Can I Download 2go On My Nokia Lumia 510 / Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by kokoye(m): 8:25pm On Oct 24, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

Keep talking and see if FBI no go find tht black market.
All these Mexicans sha grin

whatever cheesy
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by Abbott(m): 10:43pm On Oct 24, 2012
Peeps, is Nigeria an emerging market?
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by viruz007(m): 11:14pm On Oct 24, 2012
D only thing I can say is that Nokia shld gaan sleep. Dey shld lemme knw wen dey take on Android OS. Dey have d best hardware in d phone market. Best Hardware + Best Software = Game over for samsung & apple...

So if dey want glory days back, do what is necessary. 4 nw ama stick wiv my Android cheesy
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by blackweaver(m): 11:15pm On Oct 24, 2012
Abbott: Peeps, is Nigeria an emerging market?

Guy, even India is an emerging market and they have a much larger global market presence than nigeria

jmaine: If this device berths in Nigeria between the 20 - 30K range, it will be a big hit here . . .

Peeps love the window phone user experience at first touch, though certain functionality still has to be incorporated to make the experience wholesome and more fulfilling. Prolly the upcoming 7.8 update should take good care of that . .

How many of these "peeps" are Nigerians based in Nigeria? My point is most nigerians know zilch about windows phones. Maybe if i get to try one out i may decide i like it's look but till then no can do for me

1 Like

Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jmaine: 11:23pm On Oct 24, 2012
blackweaver:

How many of these "peeps" are Nigerians based in Nigeria? My point is most nigerians know zilch about windows phones. Maybe if i get to try one out i may decide i like it's look but till then no can do for me

Gee, Am based in Nigeria . . .In just a day, i witnessed 3 converts . .The UI experience was awe binding to them and they couldn't help but play with the device exhaustively . .And surprisingly, they are tech savvy peeps with high end devices to booth. . .

When you handle one yourself . . The message will be clear . .Though like i said, Nokia needs to patch some minor deficiencies of the OS
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by Abbott(m): 1:01am On Oct 25, 2012
blackweaver:

I know about WP and I've been patiently waiting for WP8 and Win 8 Pro for Lumia 820 and Surface Pro. My grouse is that Nigeria wont be kept waiting before these products hit Nigeria. Surface shuld be in Nigeria by the first week of Dec or early next year @ d latest. WP8 is IT.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by Neoluv(m): 1:32am On Oct 25, 2012
Sup with all these phones nowadays?,...where did all the physical keypads go?...after people would start bashing blackberry nd its users :-/
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by otodeluxe(m): 2:26am On Oct 25, 2012
"For Emerging markets" I beg your pardon?
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jedisco(m): 3:33am On Oct 25, 2012
4llerbuntu:

80% of mobile phone users are not interested in updates. its you pesky pseudo-geeks that are always shouting about updates online grin grin grin grin grin

by capable and diverse i mean real world capabilities like tethering, file sharing, even hacking if u are into that sort of thing.

im sure there will be a few things a budget android fone can do that a budget nokia Windows fone wont, primarily because nokia knows well enough not to over stretch their meager hardware whilst android is simply a do it all platform.

heck u find budget androids with USB-On-The-Go and other such exotic features. even if its not there somebody is working to bring it up. there are fones that shipped with donut that run ICS AND jb!!! CRAZY.

i hope Nokia WP 8 fones will be hackable sha. that will actually get crazy pple interested

Yes just as 80% of people are not bothered about some stuff that exist just for the purpose of them existing.

WP supports tethering, side loading of apps, Nokia has released an app for file sharing.
Funny enough, all those things you listed are available on Asha phones including USB OTG

I don't know what you mean by meagre hardware. I would choose this phone over any android phone within its range. I've come across alot of low-end droids and and they were just a pain in the arse.

Iphones didn't have a long list of hardware stuff but their advantage has always been ease and speed of use. Thats a place where this phone clearly excels above androids.

So rather than getting a buggy and annoying and slow low-end android, I would rather have a smooth and relatively fast windows phone.

How many low-end androids shipped with donut and now run JB officially? Or better put how many people are using JB compared to donut. Hope you've not forgotten that almost 100% of android users are between 1-3 years behind the current iteration of the OS
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jedisco(m): 3:41am On Oct 25, 2012
Abbott: My problem with Nokia is that instead of releasing their products in all their major markets @ once, they will release in UK/USA and other countries in January and release in Nigeria and co in December.
If I was given Nokia Lumia 900 free of charge I wont collect it @ all. If they like when Lumia 920/820 is released, they should not bring it to Nigeria. Will just abandon them and chill for BB Aristo. smiley

Man stop dreaming cos nobody is going to give you lumia 900.
What percentage do you think Nigeria contributes to smartphone usage.

FYI, there are about 4 million smartphones in Nigeria over 50% of which are BBs. An overwhelming majority of whats left are symbian phones. Even when you come to androids, the common ones are the very cheap ones.
So Nokia is better off releasing the 510 here now and the higher ends when its feasible.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jedisco(m): 3:45am On Oct 25, 2012
viruz007: D only thing I can say is that Nokia shld gaan sleep. Dey shld lemme knw wen dey take on Android OS. Dey have d best hardware in d phone market. Best Hardware + Best Software = Game over for samsung & apple...

So if dey want glory days back, do what is necessary. 4 nw ama stick wiv my Android cheesy

And who told you android is the best software?
How many android OEMs apart from Samsung are making tangible profit.
Go and look at how Sony, HTC, LG, Motorolla and the rest are doing with your so called android.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by Ignatio(m): 6:37am On Oct 25, 2012
Can this device stream videos without buffering?
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by ITbomb(m): 6:59am On Oct 25, 2012
Ignatio: Can this device stream videos without buffering?
All nokia devices stream videos seamlessly but only on Airtel 3.75g network for now in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by LordReed(m): 7:58am On Oct 25, 2012
jmaine: If this device berths in Nigeria between the 20 - 30K range, it will be a big hit here . . .

Peeps love the window phone user experience at first touch, though certain functionality still has to be incorporated to make the experience wholesome and more fulfilling. Prolly the upcoming 7.8 update should take good care of that . .

Ehhh I don't quite agree. A colleague of mine was given a HTC Windows phone and she said she was gonna return it because she didn't like it meanwhile my colleagues with Galaxy pocket are quite satisfied with it.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jmaine: 8:23am On Oct 25, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Ehhh I don't quite agree. A colleague of mine was given a HTC Windows phone and she said she was gonna return it because she didn't like it meanwhile my colleagues with Galaxy pocket are quite satisfied with it.

No one has ever played with my Lumia 9 and wasn't love struck with the entire experience . . .I repeat again, no one
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by mikron(m): 3:27pm On Oct 25, 2012
NO WINDOWS PHONE BEAT THE HTC HD2, I LOVE NOKIA THOUGH BUT I BELIEVE THE HTC HD2 TAKES THE CAKE

Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by Ogetogeo(m): 5:55pm On Oct 25, 2012
ITbomb:
All nokia devices stream videos seamlessly but only on Airtel 3.75g network for now in Nigeria.

I tell ya. Even nokia x2-01, a java phone streams youtube videos seamlessly only on airtel network.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by Abbott(m): 6:31pm On Oct 25, 2012
jedisco:

Man stop dreaming cos nobody is going to give you lumia 900.
What percentage do you think Nigeria contributes to smartphone usage.

FYI, there are about 4 million smartphones in Nigeria over 50% of which are BBs. An overwhelming majority of whats left are symbian phones. Even when you come to androids, the common ones are the very cheap ones.
So Nokia is better off releasing the 510 here now and the higher ends when its feasible.

Of course I will collect it, sell it, add money and buy Lumia 920 which I wont change for the next 4 years.
Remember samsung Galaxy S3, released in Naija, two/three weeks after it had gone public. Expect same from Nokia, if they like, they shuld say we r emerging markets.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by tonym1(m): 8:49pm On Oct 25, 2012
THE MARKET HAS MOVED ON IN TECHNOLOGY TERMS AND NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN NOKIA PRODUCTS

MAJOR PLAYERS LIKE APPLE, SAMSUNG, BLACKBERRY, SONY ARE ALL CONTROLLING THE MARKET
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by sigmundfreud(m): 10:06pm On Oct 25, 2012
kokoye: I'm currently working with a Lumia 510 at the moment. .
In your mind abi?!
Except if ur name is Nokia or u travelled to November!
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jmaine: 11:18pm On Oct 25, 2012
tony_m1: THE MARKET HAS MOVED ON IN TECHNOLOGY TERMS AND NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN NOKIA PRODUCTS

MAJOR PLAYERS LIKE APPLE, SAMSUNG, BLACKBERRY, SONY ARE ALL CONTROLLING THE MARKET

It shows how extremely naive you are . . .
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by BodyKiss(m): 1:07pm On Oct 26, 2012
jmaine:

It shows how extremely naive you are . . .

No be small.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:20am On Oct 27, 2012
This is an example of a budget android phone. Just to buttress my point. Galaxy pocket is not d only budget android in d world, nor techno t1

Pantech FLEX

Pricing $50 with two-year contract; $400

outright Dimensions 5.1 x 2.6 x 0.32 inches (130 x 66 x 8mm) Weight 4.66 oz. (132g)

Screen size 4.3 inches (109mm)
Screen resolution 960 x 540 pixels (256ppi)
Screen type Super AMOLED (PenTile) display
Battery 1,830mAh
Internal storage 8GB (5.5GB available)
External storage MicroSD, none included
Rear camera 8MP, AF, LED flash
Front-facing cam 2MP Video capture 1080p NFC No
Radios LTE 700/850/1700/1900; HSPA+ 850/1900/2100; GSM / EDGE 850/1700/1900/2100
Bluetooth v4.0
SoC Qualcomm MSM8960 (Snapdragon S4) CPU 1.5GHz dual-core Krait
GPU Adreno 225
RAM 1GB
MHL Yes
WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n with WiFi Direct
Operating system Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
Supported multimedia formats AAC LC/LTP, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, FLAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG Vorbis, PCM/WAVE, WMA

Spot d difference btw wat qualifies as budget on android and budget on wp?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/pantech-flex-review/
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 27, 2012
kokoye: I'm currently working with a Lumia 510 at the moment.

It is just OK....can never catch on like an android or IOS device.
Ha! This one don f*ckup. The phone is not out yet, how come you are using it? This shows how people lie on nairaland embarassed
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jedisco(m): 11:08am On Oct 27, 2012
4llerbuntu: This is an example of a budget android phone. Just to buttress my point. Galaxy pocket is not d only budget android in d world, nor techno t1

Pantech burst

outright Dimensions 5.1 x 2.6 x 0.32 inches (130 x 66 x 8mm) Weight 4.66 oz. (132g)

Battery 1,830mAh
Radios LTE 700/850/1700/1900; HSPA+ 850/1900/2100; GSM / EDGE 850/1700/1900/2100
Bluetooth v4.0
GPU Adreno 225
RAM 1GB
MHL Yes
Supported multimedia formats AAC LC/LTP, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, FLAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG Vorbis, PCM/WAVE, WMA

Man I don't know your limits for 'budget' but a $400 (N60,000) device is certainly not a budget phone. Infact its at the upper limit of mid-range and might even be classified as high-end in some cases.

How can you be comparing an unreleased device whose announced price is less than $200 to a device which has been out for sometime and whose price is $400 considering the fact that it may have dropped from something higher.

Mind you, the device you put up there can be regarded as a cheap high-end android device. It may not be top notch but its still high-end.

Also, I don't get it with you posting seemingly unknown OEMs. You may like to tell us how many devices they sold cos I would rather buy a higher priced but similar speced Sony, LG or Samsung device than this thing you put up here.
Mind you, if you're looking for cheap (but unknown) android devices, I know where you could get a quad core 4.3 incher with 2GB RAM for under $150. ( http://www.everbuying.com/ )

Lastly, you might want to re-check the specs of the device you put up there cos what I got for 'Pantech burst' differs significantly from what you have there. ( http://www.gsmarena.com/pantech_burst-4429.php )
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:33am On Oct 27, 2012
Sorry its the pantech flex not burst.

Incidentally there is a review on engadget posted yesterday.

It IS a budget phone by every definition. Pantech makes only budget android phones.

Forget about converting the prices into naira. Nigeria is not a market by which phone prices are judged. The cheapest phones are around 200 dollars which is over 30thousand naira excluding shipping and profit margins

Budget phones abroad are generally classified from $300 downwards or $100 on contract downwards which is the overwhelming way to
buy abroad and not outright purchases

uThe.pocket thats sold for 19k here costs more in dollars abroad in retail.stores.

The general trend im trying to point out is that a budget android most times packs more in than the budget wp fones like the 510 , moreover Im sure this 510 will sell for around 50k or more here sef.

If those wp phones are hackable they will bee aninteresting buy
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by jedisco(m): 12:32pm On Oct 27, 2012
4llerbuntu: Sorry its the pantech flex not burst.

Incidentally there is a review on engadget posted yesterday.

It IS a budget phone by every definition. Pantech makes only budget android phones.

Forget about converting the prices into naira. Nigeria is not a market by which phone prices are judged. The cheapest phones are around 200 dollars which is over 30thousand naira excluding shipping and profit margins

Budget phones abroad are generally classified from $300 downwards or $100 on contract downwards which is the overwhelming way to
buy abroad and not outright purchases

uThe.pocket thats sold for 19k here costs more in dollars abroad in retail.stores.

The general trend im trying to point out is that a budget android most times packs more in than the budget wp fones like the 510 , moreover Im sure this 510 will sell for around 50k or more here sef.

If those wp phones are hackable they will bee aninteresting buy

Man THERE IS NO WAY THIS IS A BUDGET PHONE SPEC-WISE OR PRICE-WISE.

Budget phones abroad are usually free on contract and below $200 unlocked.
The lumia 710 was free from launch and was soon joined by lumia 800 and currently I think lumia 900.

I've followed the price of many phones from their release abroad to their release here. What I can say is that for phones which are released (officially) at almost thesame time in both countries, the price in the US (not Europe) is usually a little higher than the price here in Nigeria.

The 510 won't sell for 50k or anything near it. Remember it was made for developing markets and would be available there first (maybe even before lumia 920 and 820).
Currently, lumia 710 (just launched) goes for 33k, lumia 610 is lower so this should be much lower when it arrives.
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by kokoye(m): 4:39pm On Oct 29, 2012
Highbros:
Ha! This one don f*ckup. The phone is not out yet, how come you are using it? This shows how people lie on nairaland embarassed

I'm sure you can read...i hope

look at my subsequent posts on the thread...hope it'll help you
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by blackweaver(m): 6:02am On Oct 30, 2012
kokoye:

I'm sure you can read...i hope

look at my subsequent posts on the thread...hope it'll help you

bros there is a way to silence the doubting thomases, show picture of the phone with your hand in it
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:40am On Oct 30, 2012
Maybe now that data compression has landed on wp and always existed on other; platforms via apps maybe these blackberry sufferers will give it a rest
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:42am On Oct 30, 2012
blackweaver:

bros there is a way to silence the doubting thomases, show picture of the phone with your hand in it

I'm sure that will be against the terms of his employment. He has to leak anonymously
Re: Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets by ciphoenix: 7:27am On Oct 30, 2012
4llerbuntu: This is an example of a budget android phone. Just to buttress my point. Galaxy pocket is not d only budget android in d world, nor techno t1

Pantech FLEX

Battery 1,830mAh
Bluetooth v4.0
GPU Adreno 225
RAM 1GB
MHL Yes

that's a beast by wp standards cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Techno Spark K7 OTG Issue / Solution To Stop Mtn From Deducting Your Airtime / How To Protect Your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & Snapchat Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.