Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,237 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? (5141 Views)

See The Kind Of School Bus Conveying These Pupils To School (Photo) / Lagos Pupils To Pay N10,000 For Admission Tests / Ebola: NUT Asks Teachers To Ignore Sept. 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by rosita112: 11:17am On Oct 24, 2012
Recently, I noticed my 4yr old Son saying the word SHAME to his yonger brother who is 18mths for peeing. My toddler is being potty trainned at the moment.

I was totally shocked and explaind to Him that there is nothing shameful for his brother peeing on himself that its only a potty accident and that sometimes other kids do the same too. I asked him were he learnt that and he told me his teaher in class asked everyone to say shame to a particular GIRL IN HIS CLASS AFTER SHE had a potty accident(probably peed or pooed on herself in class)

I find this rather disturbing and want to have a talk with the school authorities as this is a Church owned private school. I expect better from them. what are they instilling into the Children? Its never ok to shame a child for peeing on him or herself it may cause the child to have low self esteem and it may also encourage bullying.

I am thinking of changing his school at the moment but maybe next term.

Please what are other parents veiw on this issue?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 24, 2012
It's wrong. Accidents will happen with toddlers, young children and sometimes teenagers, for a myriad of reasons.

Getting children to shame others, regardless of what they've done is totally unacceptable. It can affect the child both physically and mentally. Such a child can become secretive, socially withdrawn and reclusive, feeling that what they've done is unnatural, and something to be ashamed of.

I would certainly have words with that "teacher"! angry

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2012
hmmm . . .

Hello Siena wink
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 24, 2012
Tgirl4real: hmmm . . .

Hello Siena wink

Hi! What's new?
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:12pm On Oct 24, 2012
Nufin much. Just getting my groove back. cheesy
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by feminineA: 1:33pm On Oct 24, 2012
Very wrong. That's how low self esteem starts. It starts with a little situation like that and blossom into something the little girl alone cannot handle
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by rosita112: 3:52pm On Oct 24, 2012
Siena: It's wrong. Accidents will happen with toddlers, young children and sometimes teenagers, for a myriad of reasons.

Getting children to shame others, regardless of what they've done is totally unacceptable. It can affect the child both physically and mentally. Such a child can become secretive, socially withdrawn and reclusive, feeling that what they've done is unnatural, and something to be ashamed of.

I would certainly have words with that "teacher"! angry

I agree with you. Definately having a word with the teacher and entire school board. Will even attend the next PTA and raise the issue and make sure they put a stop to such rubbish. This is because most teachers dont have proper training in Child development. which way Nigeria?
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Confilass: 4:23pm On Oct 24, 2012
I was about withdrawing my son dat just change School because of d teacher's behaviour. He's just 4yrs old, joined dem in Grade 1 but I was told he couldn't read and each time d teacher will say ur suppose to be in Nursery 2 instead of encouraging him dat he can make it.

At the end, I had to returned my son to Nursery 2. Most of dis teachers are not NCE holders or are not educationist.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 24, 2012
its unacceptable. a child might grow up with a low self-esteem becos of that. these are the little things a child carries into adulthood and it will affect them greatly
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 24, 2012
Confilass: I was about withdrawing my son dat just change School because of d teacher's behaviour. He's just 4yrs old, joined dem in Grade 1 but I was told he couldn't read and each time d teacher will say ur suppose to be in Nursery 2 instead of encouraging him dat he can make it.

At the end, I had to returned my son to Nursery 2. Most of dis teachers are not NCE holders or are not educationist.

A 4 yr old should be in preschool and not grader yet, as far as I'm concern, and shame on those unqualified teachers not the innocent kids.

OP should have a talk with the principal.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by slimyem: 5:57pm On Oct 24, 2012
Its an age-long practice at the elemntary level in Nigeria...
I remember it happening countless times in my class around that age..
We'd be asked to boo the word "shame"at someone who probably gets the answer to a question wrong...or one who sucks his thumb,or one who comes to school dirty.
It is very wrong..it is bullying..its effects on a child's psyche are lasting....but the question should be "how much can one do to stop it"?
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by greatgod2012(f): 8:15pm On Oct 24, 2012
Its wrong and main reason 4 this is dt, some teachers are actually CHEATERS, So,whatdo u expect from such pple, have a talk with d schl management.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by ndgfx(m): 12:03pm On Oct 25, 2012
I'm gonna talk from the perspective of a victim of such boo-ing since I was one myself. From my experience, it bent me for years. I kept to myself, didn't have friends, cudnt adjust or communicate socially.....and it gets worse especially when the teacher picks on u continuously. so do pretty much of my early primary school years, I suffered this treatment... until my mother had to remove me after a teacher (with issues of her own) decorated my skin with lashes.

its okay to encourage a competitive environment but not at the expense of a child's esteem or mental wellbeing.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by pecopeco: 12:07pm On Oct 25, 2012
rosita112: Recently, I noticed my 4yr old Son saying the word SHAME to his yonger brother who is 18mths for peeing. My toddler is being potty trainned at the moment.

I was totally shocked and explaind to Him that there is nothing shameful for his brother peeing on himself that its only a potty accident and that sometimes other kids do the same too. I asked him were he learnt that and he told me his teaher in class asked everyone to say shame to a particular GIRL IN HIS CLASS AFTER SHE had a potty accident(probably peed or pooed on herself in class)

I find this rather disturbing and want to have a talk with the school authorities as this is a Church owned private school. I expect better from them. what are they instilling into the Children? Its never ok to shame a child for peeing on him or herself it may cause the child to have low self esteem and it may also encourage bullying.

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by solelymade: 12:07pm On Oct 25, 2012
Dis practice has a long lasting negative effects on children and it transient in adulthood. It's 1 of d reason I don't answer question in class without been called by my tutor. It's very bad and must be stopped.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by madamebebe(f): 12:10pm On Oct 25, 2012
cry n'aaaaww that's wrong. It only teaches them to be bullies at such a young age and also LSE starts for the victims. You do need to speak to the teacher. ASAP
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by ssii: 12:23pm On Oct 25, 2012
Confilass: I was about withdrawing my son dat just change School because of d teacher's behaviour. He's just 4yrs old, joined dem in Grade 1 but I was told he couldn't read and each time d teacher will say ur suppose to be in Nursery 2 instead of encouraging him dat he can make it.

You can't really blame the teacher, a four year old is too young to be grade 1. It is definitely going to be difficult for the teacher,there is a whole lot of difference between a four year old and a six year old which is the ideal age for grade 1
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by MRMICKMEN: 12:27pm On Oct 25, 2012
it encourage BULLYING and America is fighting bullies;Dont be a bully be a star,in my opinion shaa
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by redsun(m): 12:27pm On Oct 25, 2012
Teachers seems to torment children physically and mentally in nigeria,like oyedepo.They subdue children's feelings,insticnts,intuitions,creativity and learning with their crude form of teaching,just like abusive parents.

Anybody that hurts a child in any form,mentally,physically and otherwise should be sacked and jailed,especially teachers who are one of the major players in shaping children's future.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Daresh(f): 12:51pm On Oct 25, 2012
rosita112: Recently, I noticed my 4yr old Son saying the word SHAME to his yonger brother who is 18mths for peeing. My toddler is being potty trainned at the moment.

Very wrong. One day I went to pick my son from school and he had wet his pants. He had just been potty trained and wasn't comfortable using the school toilet. Then a little girl said, said, 'He peed in class, Shame". The tin touched my spirit men. I was so upset but I just tried to laff it off cos I didnt want the children to feel bad. Please if you are a teacher in this forum dont do it. Its bad very very bad.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by gistme24(m): 1:11pm On Oct 25, 2012
Let me share a story with you guys. This happened to a mentor of mine and a friend of my eldest bro.
He attended CMS grammar school and was the object of relentless humiliations often led by a particular teacher, due to his academic performance and his prominant "baba ibadan" tribal mark. One day, towards the end of a term, the humiliation was extremely harsh that made him cry and he vowed never again will it happen. At the begining of the next term, everything, except from his tribal mark, was different. From his spoken English to his dressing.
He went on to study Met & Mat Engineering at UNILAG, then a Masters in the same course and another in Economics, he just completed his Doctorate.
He told me that that particular incidence changed his life.
Am not in support of this act mind you, but we need to let kids/youths know that they can rise above such,if they really want to.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Akbee(m): 1:16pm On Oct 25, 2012
I happen to be a victim of this evil practise back in the days.i thought it was one of those ways of telling a lazy student to sit up not knowing its uncalled for and totally against the provision of the National Policy on Education.as a practising teacher,im fully aware of its attendant evil especially on the victims.to this end,i try as much as possible to avoid using it in the classroom setting.
Government should try as much as possible to sentisize on this practise as it does not help mattters.this practise is quite common among privates schools.it should be discouragesd.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by agohavivi(f): 1:20pm On Oct 25, 2012
I don't know why some schools allow their students to be ridiculed this way. It's totally unacceptable to me. I wouldn't fail to withdraw my child from a school that practices such because most times such children end up developing low self esteem.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 25, 2012
You don't want the children to be flogged, you don't want them ridiculed to correction, when they become brats you still blame the school. I beg make una go sidon for one place.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by tevinsolt: 1:33pm On Oct 25, 2012
nope, totally wrong
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 25, 2012
Is there something wrong with my eyes, or this is another version of the same topic....on the frontpage??
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Omuha(m): 1:37pm On Oct 25, 2012
You may have to change your child's school every term. Talk it out with the teacher,but have this at the back of your mind,some children only wake up when they feel shame. Had I not failed,repeated a class in prim.sch. & felt as much shame as a child can feel seeing his colleagues leave him behind I would never have been good enough for any university. Today I thank God for my sense of shame.I stand tall! If encouragement does not work on a child,try shame!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by irecruit(m): 1:38pm On Oct 25, 2012
hahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahah, this reminds me of my days in school. i was shamed several times so i dont think it is wrong to shame those that neeeded to be shamed

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Siga: 1:39pm On Oct 25, 2012
blink182: You don't want the children to be flogged, you don't want them ridiculed to correction, when they become brats you still blame the school. I beg make una go sidon for one place.
...Baba...making fun of an accident a 4yr old had is not going to stop the child from being a brat....the action by the teacher is totally wrong....I am not sure you have a child, if u do, u will understand how it feels to have a mentally damaged kid....the right thing to do for the teacher is have a meeting with the parents and advise based on the school's principles and rules....I know people that were flogged all the time when I was young and they are worse than those that are barely flogged....of cos, u can discipline...but the flogging for naija that time na TORTURE....Im sure its different now...
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Bryan12(m): 1:39pm On Oct 25, 2012
I think its completely absurd embarassed
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by HellaBella(f): 1:41pm On Oct 25, 2012
blink182: You don't want the children to be flogged, you don't want them ridiculed to correction, when they become brats you still blame the school. I beg make una go sidon for one place.

And isn't teaching young children to shame their peers encouraging them to become disrespectful, self-righteous brats? Why is the teacher relying on other small kids to "correct" this child's behaviour? The fact that you don't see anything wrong in the teacher's behaviour speaks volumes.
The irony is that I bet when this teacher sees their work colleague or boss or "big man/big woman" doing wrong, he/she will keep their mouth zipped. I swear, talk about misplaced priorities.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Godpickin: 1:47pm On Oct 25, 2012
Its so sad to note dt most our teachers r nt
Trained. Just like d police dey r all d same.
I knw wat I suffered in pry sch n. Secondary school
And vowed never to go to skool, if nt dt my dad of
Blessed memory encouraged me. I wud ve bin a failure to myself
Nd my country. Traning programms, seminars shud b held for
Ds teachers. Nigeria I hail.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If You Have Gas At Home, Please Don't Do This While Cooking / Until the End (Story of an Open University graduate) / What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.