Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,095 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church (2950 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / Without The Law There's No Foundation Of Rightness Or Wrong / The See Of Peter Is Vacant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2012
The Roman Catholic religion sinfully teaches that Jesus appointed the Apostle Peter as the foundation of the Church. Nothing could be further from the truth of God's Word.

Peter means Petros; NOT Petra
Many religious people have been misled to believe that the way to God is through the Church. However, nothing could be further from the truth of God's Word. Jesus clearly stated in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Some foolishly claim that the Church is representative of Christ, and that we should obey the church in order to follow Christ; however, no such demonic doctrine is found in the Bible. Jesus Christ is the ONLY foundation, the ONLY way to God the Father, and thus; is the ONLY One we should follow.

The name "Peter" in the Greek means "Petros" (i.e., a small stone or rock); BUT, Jesus is referred to as "Petra" (a large rock or mountain). In the original Greek Jesus said, “Thou art petros [a little piece of rock], and upon this Petra [bedrock] I will build my church.” Clearly, Jesus was NOT speaking about Peter, because Peter was only a small stone.

The only true and sure foundation is Jesus Christ, which is plainly stated in 1st Corinthians 3:11 ... "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

[url=http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/peter_not_foundation.htm]Source[/url]
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 24, 2012
I dont think so. Mattew 16:18.
And so I tell you, Peter: you are the rock, and on this foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 24, 2012
Reyginus: I dont think so. Mattew 16:18.
And so I tell you, Peter: you are the rock, and on this foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it.

The foundation is Jesus.

Isaiah 28:16 So this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed.

Acts 4:11 He is "'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.'

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone .
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 24, 2012
frosbel:

The foundation is Jesus.

Isaiah 28:16 So this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed.

Acts 4:11 He is "'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.'

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone .
The foundation of the christainity is Christ, and Peter is the foundation of the Church. They are not the same thing.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 24, 2012
Reyginus:
The foundation of the christainity is Christ, and Peter is the foundation of the Church. They are not the same thing.

The foundation of the CHURCH is the WORD of GOD which is Christ.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 24, 2012
frosbel:

The foundation of the CHURCH is the WORD of GOD which is Christ.
No. The foundation is the word of God.
The church is not the word. It's a congregation of believers of the word.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 24, 2012
Reyginus: No. The foundation is the word of God.

who is the head of the church ?
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by 2mch(m): 4:32pm On Oct 24, 2012

Gbam!
Catholic Church that is. This is why no frosbel nor other haters can prevail against it.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 24, 2012
2mch:

Gbam!
Catholic Church that is. This is why no frosbel nor other haters can prevail against it.

the church was built on the rock of Peter's statement that JESUS is the Messiah.

Besides , to compare Peter to those evil , wicked and Antichrist popes is an insult of the highest order.

The catholic church is a demon filled institution.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 24, 2012
[/quote]The name "Peter" in the Greek means "Petros" (i.e., a small stone or rock); BUT, Jesus is referred to as "Petra" (a large rock or mountain). In the original Greek Jesus said, “Thou art petros [a little piece of rock], and upon this Petra [bedrock] I will build my church.” Clearly, Jesus was NOT speaking about Peter, because Peter was only a small stone [quote]

Another use of semantics to try to obfuscate people.Have you forgotten that Jesus spoke in aramaic and not greek.In aramaic only one word is used for rock so this your infantile logic does not hold
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2012
frosbel:

who is the head of the church ?
The head of the congregation of the word.
The Pope.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 24, 2012
Reyginus: The head of the congregation of the word.
The Pope.

But the bible debunks this :

"For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior." - Ephesians 5:23

"And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church"- Ephesians 1:22

Is the POPE not an impostor ?

3 Likes

Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by ijawkid(m): 8:15pm On Oct 24, 2012
The Pope.

Oboy no do o.....
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 24, 2012
frosbel:

"For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior." - Ephesians 5:23

"And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church"- Ephesians 1:22

funny question.
Must we denounce everything because they are catholic.
Is it not clear that the verse is symbolic?
Two things are clear from the verse.
The church is the body of christ. The body is the meeting of the brethrens.
Christ is the head of the church. 'Head' here suggests that everything the church is doing, must be in accordance to the authority from christ.
It is does not tell us anything about the leadership of the church.
Is christ the leader of the christains?
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 11:22pm On Oct 24, 2012
frosbel: The Roman Catholic religion sinfully teaches that Jesus appointed the Apostle Peter as the foundation of the Church. Nothing could be further from the truth of God's Word.

Many religious people have been misled to believe that the way to God is through the Church. However, nothing could be further from the truth of God's Word. Jesus clearly stated in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Some foolishly claim that the Church is representative of Christ, and that we should obey the church in order to follow Christ; however, no such demonic doctrine is found in the Bible. Jesus Christ is the ONLY foundation, the ONLY way to God the Father, and thus; is the ONLY One we should follow.

The name "Peter" in the Greek means "Petros" (i.e., a small stone or rock); BUT, Jesus is referred to as "Petra" (a large rock or mountain). In the original Greek Jesus said, “Thou art petros [a little piece of rock], and upon this Petra [bedrock] I will build my church.” Clearly, Jesus was NOT speaking about Peter, because Peter was only a small stone.

The only true and sure foundation is Jesus Christ, which is plainly stated in 1st Corinthians 3:11 ... "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

[url=http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/peter_not_foundation.htm]Source[/url]

that is absolutely correct.

Though most people dont know, Jesus was refering to himself as the rock in which the congregation is built.

welldone Frosbel.

Know the truth and the truth will set you free.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 11:33pm On Oct 24, 2012

"also, i say to you, You are peter, and on this rock-mass i will build my congregation and the of Hedes will not overpower it"

note, " on this rock-mass i will build"

and this :

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. " (Matthew 16:18).

Where did you get that from?
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 11:35pm On Oct 24, 2012
Reyginus:

lies.

Christ is the head of the church.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 11:36pm On Oct 24, 2012
Reyginus: No. The foundation is the word of God.

of what use is peter today if not christ Jesus?
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 11:39pm On Oct 24, 2012
chukwudi44: The name "Peter" in the Greek means "Petros" (i.e., a small stone or rock); BUT, Jesus is referred to as "Petra" (a large rock or mountain). In the original Greek Jesus said, “Thou art petros [a little piece of rock], and upon this Petra [bedrock] I will build my church.” Clearly, Jesus was NOT speaking about Peter, because Peter was only a small stone

Another use of semantics to try to obfuscate people.Have you forgotten that Jesus spoke in aramaic and not greek.In aramaic only one word is used for rock so this your infantile logic does not hold

to you as an RCC member it is false, cause that is what you want to hear.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 11:40pm On Oct 24, 2012
The Pope.

very funny.

Take that to infant.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 11:58pm On Oct 24, 2012
Reyginus:
Is christ the leader of the christains?
yes, christian is the head of the church.
Reyginus:
Is it not clear that the verse is symbolic?
The head of the congregation of the word.
The Pope.
^^^

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4).
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 12:03am On Oct 25, 2012
frosbel:

Reyginus: Is it not clear that the verse is symbolic?
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 12:11am On Oct 25, 2012
truthislight:

"also, i say to you, You are peter, and on this rock-mass i will build my congregation and the of Hedes will not overpower it"

note, " on this rock-mass i will build"

and this :

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. " (Matthew 16:18).

Where did you get that from?
Lol.
What makes a congregation of the brethren different from the church?
Btw, The Good News Bible.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 25, 2012
truthislight:

of what use is peter today if not christ Jesus?
How does this relate to the quote you are responding to?I can also in the same light ask of what use is jesus christ today if not for christainity?
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 12:25am On Oct 25, 2012
truthislight:
yes, christian is the head of the church.

^^^

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4).
The church was established for the sake of christ. He was the reason for the church. The reason for any outcome can never be a part of that outcome.
I know the problem with you guys is trying not to be in same page with the catholics.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by debosky(m): 1:36pm On Oct 25, 2012
chukwudi44:

This is false - Petros/Peter is usually translated as Ke'pha (from which we derive Cephas) in Aramaic (a small stone) while Petra can be translated as Shu'a in Aramaic.

There is more than one word used for rock in Aramaic.

Secondly, while Jesus did speak Aramaic, the oldest available texts of Matthew are in Greek, not Aramaic.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 1:52pm On Oct 25, 2012
Reyginus: How does this relate to the quote you are responding to?I can also in the same light ask of what use is jesus christ today if not for christainity?

christianity is christ like or followers of christ and not peter.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by truthislight: 1:56pm On Oct 25, 2012
debosky:

This is false - Petros/Peter is usually translated as Ke'pha (from which we derive Cephas) in Aramaic (a small stone) while Petra can be translated as Shu'a in Aramaic.

There is more than one word used for rock in Aramaic.

Secondly, while Jesus did speak Aramaic, the oldest available texts of Matthew are in Greek, not Aramaic.

the NT is also called the christian greek scripture because it was FIRST written in greek language.
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 25, 2012
truthislight:

christianity is christ like or followers of christ and not peter.
ofcourse.
Lololol. Of what use is this post?
Commonsense should have told you that Peter being a christain, the followers cannot be his.
Na wa 4 dis thinking
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Truthabounds: 2:08pm On Oct 25, 2012
There could be no finer and surer foundation for the true church than Christ Jesus, could there? It is his own perfect human life given as a ransom that makes possible this divine arrangement. Yet, how can we harmonize this testimony by Jesus and the apostle Paul with what Jesus stated to Peter at Matthew 16:18? We may be sure that there is no contradiction.
Peter had just acknowledged Jesus to be the Christ (or, the Messiah), the Son of the living God. Jesus then said: “I say to thee: That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church.” (Dy) Some understand these words to mean that Jesus’ church is built on Peter as the foundation. This is the official position of the Roman Catholic Church. But it is of interest to note that Archbishop Kenrick, in the book An Inside View of the Vatican Council (1870), shows that of at least eighty-six early church “fathers,” only seventeen understood Jesus’ reference to the “rock” as applying to Peter. Were you aware of this?
But of far more importance—how did Peter himself understand Jesus’ words? Concerning the Lord Jesus, Peter said: “Unto whom coming, as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men but chosen and made honourable by God: Be you also as living stones built up, a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore it is said in the scripture: Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious. And he that shall believe in him shall not be confounded. To you therefore that believe, he is honour: but to them that believe not, the stone which the builders rejected, the same is made the head of the corner: and a stone of stumbling and a rock of scandal, to them who stumble at the word.” (1 Peter 2:4-8, Dy) These words of Peter show that he, like the apostle Paul, understood Jesus to be the “chief corner stone,” the “rock” on which the church is built. Peter is just one of the 144,000 “living stones” making up the true church.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 25, 2012
frosbel: The Roman Catholic religion sinfully teaches that Jesus appointed the Apostle Peter as the foundation of the Church. Nothing could be further from the truth of God's Word.

If X = Daft, This post is 4X
Re: Peter Is NOT The Foundation Of The Church by Ubenedictus(m): 5:27pm On Oct 25, 2012
frosbel:

the church was built on the rock of Peter's statement that JESUS is the Messiah.

Besides , to compare Peter to those evil , wicked and Antichrist popes is an insult of the highest order.

The catholic church is a demon filled institution.
keep quite!!! Did Jesus mention anything like statement there. U are dishonest.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Did God Make Himself / See Why Some Believers Don’t Accept The Theory Of Evolution / Atheists:Explain the Existence of Miracles!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.