Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,632 members, 7,847,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 11:13 PM

Is It Bad To Be Regional? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Bad To Be Regional? (469 Views)

Anyaoku Urges Return To Regional Govt / It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo / It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo (fear Dey Catch Dem Small Small) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Bad To Be Regional? by PaulJohn1: 2:21am On Oct 26, 2012
I have followed the argument of those canvassing that President Jonathan should contest for the presidency in 2015 and some other groups who are making a case for their own persons or areas to take a shot at the highest office in Nigeria. Most of those for and against are actually repeating the same mistake of reducing the institution and office of president to a narrow regional representation.

Historically, no one has ever campaigned on a regional platform and succeeded in getting to the office of president. And anybody or group that does that now is only starting an idea that is dead on arrival. Let us go down memory lane to prove that it is bad to be regional.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo might have been the longest aspirant to the highest office in Nigeria. He was very disciplined, meticulous and hardworking. He had very good plans and maybe one of the most prepared for that office. But since his selection and recognition as leader of the Yoruba, he lost any pretention to national platform or national appeal.

Chief Awolowo couldn't get out of his ethno-regional cocoon and was so contemptuous of national dynamics, in 1979, he even chose his running mate from the same southern Nigeria, Chief Umeadi, ignoring the delicate balance to cater for sensitivities and engender confidence. He died without realizing this ambition. It is bad to be regional.

In contrast, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo started from one of the most national institutions in Nigeria: the Nigeria Army. He built enduring friendships and lasting relationships across the country and beyond. He has never identified himself as anybody but a proud Nigerian and a great African. His kinsmen, the Yoruba, even rejected him in 1999, the first time he contested for the office of president. That did not stop him from being overwhelmingly elected as the second executive president of Nigeria that year. It is bad to be regional.

Before him, there was the case of the late Chief MKO Abiola of blessed memory. Abiola never identified himself as a sectional, regional or ethnic champion. In fact, he got chieftaincy titles and awards from virtually every tribe or section of Nigeria. He built a great economic empire that was providing employment and means of livelihood for people all over the nation. His philanthropy and generosity was legendary.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201210250216.html
Re: Is It Bad To Be Regional? by ektbear: 2:23am On Oct 26, 2012
It depends on what your goals are.
Re: Is It Bad To Be Regional? by PaulJohn1: 2:27am On Oct 26, 2012
From where I qouted the write up, the topic says: "It Is Bad To Be Regional"
But I had to edit and put it in form of a question because I disagree with that heading.
How can someone just conclude it's bad to be regional?!
Re: Is It Bad To Be Regional? by PaulJohn1: 2:37am On Oct 26, 2012
It's not a crime for Awo been regional. He was the head of the old Western region then, definitely he has to show his pledge and concern for his people.
I think those who think it's bad to be regional should have that thought that a regional man had to regional since it was his assignment before hoping for the head of state, which he'll transfer to patriotism if higher assignment(of head of state) is given to him.
Re: Is It Bad To Be Regional? by kunlekunle: 11:30am On Oct 26, 2012
Nigeria was designed to be run down, a nationalist or regionalist cant save the nation.
Collective effort of nigerians by defining our objective and means of achieving it would save us.

my thought.
Re: Is It Bad To Be Regional? by PaulJohn1: 12:17pm On Oct 26, 2012
^^
You're correct.
We all know how much regionalism can save the nation, but the write-up is against been regional in person and not the practice of regionalism itself.

(1) (Reply)

Why I Invited Aki, Paw Paw To Meet Flood Victims – Uduaghan / U.S.$180 Million Halliburton Scandal - Two Ex-heads Of State Battle Jonathan / GEJ Is Not Weak,he Is Only Peaceful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.