Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,792 members, 7,810,061 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:46 PM

Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa (2164 Views)

Governor Amosun Of Ogun Stoned By TASUED Students As He Ran For Cover [PIC] / Defection: Bianca Ojukwu Lambasts Peter Obi, Shuns Ex-gov In Netherlands / Pat Utomi To Run As Delta State Gov In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by emiye(m): 3:12am On Oct 26, 2012
Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, was Saturday in Accra, Ghana, honoured as the “Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa” by Security Watch Africa.
Security Watch Africa is an organisation that sets security agenda for African leaders and is at the forefront of celebrating Security and Safety Excellence in Africa.

The governor, while receiving the award at La Palm Royal Beach Hotel in Accra, described Ogun State as the “economic and business destination of Nigeria,” a statement made available to THISDAY yesterday said.

He said his government placed a high premium on security, hence its massive investment in security equipment like the state-of-the-art Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and Hilux vans fitted with modern communication gadgets, among others.

“Today in Nigeria, Ogun State is ranked among the first three most secure states,” Amosun declared. This achievement, according to the governor, has been made possible by the support of our security agencies, the cooperation of the good people of Ogun State and their determination to rid our environment of all forms of criminality. Senator Amosun, ably supported by his wife, Mrs. Olufunso Amosun, added that the honour was in recognition of the successes recorded in the state.

He noted the challenge posed by the proximity of Ogun to Lagos and its land border with the Republic of Benin.

“These pose challenges to us. To make sure that our state is secure for the good people of Ogun State, investors and all Nigerians who daily throng our state to do business, we had to go on this offensive. Lagos State government has succeeded in driving criminals from the city and I believe we have a duty to make Ogun State an uncomfortable zone for them,” he said.

The governor used the opportunity of the award ceremony to invite the people of Ghana to come to Ogun State to invest their money, “because the state holds the future economic and industrial base of Nigeria.”

Speaking earlier at the event, the Chairperson, Board of Trustees, Security Watch Africa, Dr Theresa Oppory Beeko, said the awards were instituted to encourage governments across West Africa to confront headlong the challenge posed by insecurity, as businesses could only thrive in a peaceful environment.

She reminded governments in the sub-region of their constitutional responsibility to ensure security and welfare of their peoples.

She singled out Governor Amosun for deserving the prestigious “Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa” because of his achievements in the security sub-sector since May, 2011 when he assumed the leadership of Ogun State.

Among those that received other awards by Security Watch Africa included the governor of Abia State and three Police Commissioners from Nigeria.

It will be recalled that the administration of Senator Ibikunle Amosun inherited a serious security problem which sometimes led to banks closing business because of fear of armed robbers.
During the launch of the Armoured Personnel Carriers, the very latest technology of APCs in the world and first of such in Nigeria, in Abeokuta, the capital of Ogun State, on April 22nd, 2012, the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Muhammed Abubakar, said: “I have served in all six geographical zones of this country, I have never seen the kind of equipment you are donating to security agents today. This is the first of such maximum donation I have ever seen since I have been serving as Police officer.”

The era of banks closing business because of insecurity has since ended in Ogun State and many foreign and local investors are now taking advantage of its business-friendly environment such as sticking to international best practices in the interface of the public with government officials and respect for due process and sanctity of the rule of law.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/amosun-emerges-best-security-conscious-gov-in-w-africa/128298/
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by PaulJohn1: 3:19am On Oct 26, 2012
Great achievement, I think Ajumobi of Oyo is aswell commendable for the drastic improvement in the security of the state, compared to how it was some years back

It's a thumb up for Amosun
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by bashr8: 3:22am On Oct 26, 2012
really tongue
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by onatisi(m): 5:54am On Oct 26, 2012
"Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa” dumb awards like this are only given to nigerian public officials, these organizations know that nigerian government officials will pay hard currency for such awards . i wonder how much he paid after he was told he is the award recipient
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by PaulJohn1: 7:10am On Oct 26, 2012
Why are some of us just so bitter on worthless things?
Rather than displaying our hatred, isn't it better we stay mute?

E go better undecided
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by k2039: 7:19am On Oct 26, 2012
*laughable*
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by Gbawe: 8:18am On Oct 26, 2012
onatisi: "Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa” dumb awards like this are only given to nigerian public officials, these organizations know that nigerian government officials will pay hard currency for such awards . i wonder how much he paid after he was told he is the award recipient

I really don't know why some are so routinely negative and destructive with their utterance. When Amosun proactively took on the role of the FG, at great cost, to buy APC and equip the police, in response to spiralling crime, did you not think that sort of responsive action would come to the notice of others? This was always coming starting from when top cops were waxing lyrical and praising Amosun in Nigeria. Whether you know it or not, African administrators rarely do this. I.e go beyond the call of duty to raise funds and tackle problems that is the financial responsibility of others. That is what Amosun did.

If it is now paying off, then rest assured others who are not steeped in negativity will simply give credit where due. "Don't hate appreciate". Amosun is being appreciated and it is insulting you come here insinuating he paid for an award concerning the whole West Africa. Why can you not be proud of our leaders and would rather suggest to the world that they are buying awards? Are you not wise enough to see you only encourage others to mock us? That is why it is the opinion of many that Nigerians are their own worst enemies. Follow events more and you will know why Amosun won this award instead of coming here to ignorantly suggest he 'bought' it. What Amosun did was very impressive and others are simply acknowledging that.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/opinion/49836-amosun-a-honour-well-deserved

Amosun: A honour well deserved

“The whole world step aside for the man that knows where he is heading”—Johnnie Walker

It didn’t come out of the blues. For those versed with developments in Ogun State, the recent award to Governor Ibikunle Amosun as the “Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa” by Security Watch Africa, was not unexpected. The award was recognition for excellence and commitment to a strongly held ideal.

The chairperson, Board of Trustees, Security Watch Africa, Dr. Theresa Oppory Beeko, had earlier disclosed that the awards were instituted to encourage governments across West Africa to confront the challenge posed by insecurity, as businesses could only thrive in a peaceful environment.

She reminded governments in the sub-region of their constitutional responsibility to ensure security and welfare of their peoples, said the group beeko.

Singled out Governor Amosun for deserving the “Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa” because of what she identified as his achievements in the security sub-sector since May, 2011 when he assumed the leadership of Ogun State.

It will be recalled that the administration of Senator Amosun inherited serious security challenges where armed robbers operated with effortless ease which many times forced banks operating in the state to lock their gates against customers for fear of attacks. But the governor responded positively, importing 13 Armoured Personnel Carriers (APC’s) from the United States; bought 125 patrol vans fitted with communication gadgets, purchased 1000 Ak-47 rifles, 500 bullet proof vests,500 bullet proof helmets as well as 2 million rounds of ammunition for security operatives to be able to combat the hoodlums.

The state government also instituted a Security Trust Fund headed by former Director-General of the State Security Service,Col. Kayode Are as well as secured approval from the Presidency to raise a joint military police patrol team code-named ‘Operation Mesa’

At the launch of the security equipment, the governor had told the gathering that the state government had to airlift six of the APC’s from the United States because of the urgent security challenges the state was facing. Governor Amosun, who explained how the state came about the state-of –the art APC’s said, “we spotted the APC on internet at a security trade fair in US and we immediately contacted the manufacturers who were very elated that immediate order was being placed for their product. We ordered 10, but the manufacturers told us they can only get six immediately. So we decided to fly them in because of the urgency involved.”

The Inspector-General of Police, Muhammed Abubakar was dazed by the quantum of the security equipment on display at the formal flag off of the state security initiative. He told the gathering that included the Awujale of Ijebuland,Oba Sikiru Adetona,Olu of Ilaro, Oba Kehinde Olugbenle that “this is the first time in the history of this state and Nigeria that this kind of donation would take place. I have done police job in every length of this country, I have served in the six political zones of this country, so I can say there is no state in this country that has donated what you have donated in a single form”.

The police chief then added that with the donation, the state government has demonstrated the commitment, willingness and capacity to safeguard life and property of those living in the state.

He recounted the hassles he had passed through when he was an Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Lagos/Ogun zone, due to non-availability of security equipment. “I was opportune to be here as Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of this zone. I know what I went through without this equipment, I want to thank you (Governor Amosun) and the people of the state for this gesture and I want to use this opportunity to invite both foreign and Nigeria investors to come to Ogun State because Ogun State government by this donation has taken giant strides in the area of security.”

Interestingly, since the intervention, crime statistics in the state has crashed significantly and fatality among policemen have equally reduced.
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by onatisi(m): 8:34am On Oct 26, 2012
@gbawe ,so you think this is good award abi"Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa”?who is the cheif sucurity officer of the state ?isnt that why he was elected ?if he likes let him buy helicopters for the police he is simply doing his job.so you think such a dumb award can be given to govs in more civilised countries,i think it is right time we nigerians differntiates rights from priviledges ,and duties from achievements,
you might as well say he is the best gov for paying his workers salary sine we should also count that as n achievement too
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by Gbawe: 9:05am On Oct 26, 2012
onatisi: @gbawe ,so you think this is good award abi"Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa”?who is the cheif sucurity officer of the state ?isnt that why he was elected ?if he likes let him buy helicopters for the police he is simply doing his job.so you think such a dumb award can be given to govs in more civilised countries,i think it is right time we nigerians differntiates rights from priviledges ,and duties from achievements,
you might as well say he is the best gov for paying his workers salary sine we should also count that as n achievement too

Amosun was "elected" to buy APC, Helicopters and equip the Nigerian Police force? What crass ignorance !!! Arming and equipping the Police is, first and foremost, the duty of the FG. 100% fact. If you don't know that and can utter the totally empty "Chief security officer" argument, then it is obvious why you would ignorantly think Amosun is only doing "His job". From that first position of ignorance, it is then glaring why you wrongly think he deserves no praise for "doing his job". It is not his job to buy APC's and equip the Police. Governors are not really "Chief security officers" in an official sense.

The Federal Government controls the Police completely and has the duty of supplying our force with whatever it is they need to fight crime. There is no provision in any State budget for the acquisition of APC's, Patrol vans or bullet proof vests for the NPF. That is why everyone is impressed Amosun has gone beyond his responsibility to assume the duty of the FG and supply these things with funds he raised proactively. Nigerian leaders are just fond of empty rhetoric and meaningless superlative tags hence the empty "Chief security officer" jargon confusing you as per the duty or responsibility of Governors. Read what is written below and stop wallowing in ignorance. Most importantly, give credit where due so those performing are encouraged to do more. Amosun is being praised because he took on the role and responsibilities of the FG to arrest spiralling crime . Even your negative persona should not leave you blind to why such effort deserves commendation.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/oct/17/816.html

Governors not chief security officers - Aregbesola

by Tunde Odesola

Osun State Governor, Mr. Rauf Argbesola, has said state governors are not chief security officers of their respective states.

Aregbesola, who spoke on Tuesday, in Osogbo said governors were not chief security officers in the true sense of the word, stressing that “no commissioner of police will listen to the directive or instruction of any governor.”

Aregbesola also made a case for the need to establish state police in the country, saying the idea remained the panacea for ensuring effective security nationwide.

A statement by the Director, Bureau of Communication and Strategy, Mr. Semiu Okanlawon, said Aregbesola made the call when he signed state Security Trust Fund Law at the Governor's Office, Abere.

He said, “The bogus appellation given to the governors as Chief Security Officers of their respective states is a mere expression.

“Those who say Nigeria is not ripe for state police are not sincere. I don't know where they get their own reasoning from. Even school campuses have their own police to ensure that criminal activities are curbed in their institutions.”
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by emiye(m): 5:22pm On Oct 26, 2012
onatisi: @gbawe ,so you think this is good award abi"Best Security Conscious State Governor in West Africa”?who is the cheif sucurity officer of the state ?isnt that why he was elected ?if he likes let him buy helicopters for the police he is simply doing his job.so you think such a dumb award can be given to govs in more civilised countries,i think it is right time we nigerians differntiates rights from priviledges ,and duties from achievements,
Mr PDP-oyo state., your post is painted with color ignorance. I hope you learn from Gbawe's enlightenment.
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by Aderostock(m): 6:23pm On Oct 26, 2012
Thank God for giving us someone like Tinubu who let us have Fashola, Aregbesola, Fayemi, Ajimobi, Amosun and Oshiomole.
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by GARRIx7(m): 8:58pm On Oct 26, 2012
@Gbawe: On a serious note what do you do for a living??

Here on NL you sound like one of those Profs in UI who enjoy imparting knowledge to others (though I can't fail to notice ur obsession with ACN)

Pls keep educating ignorant folks like Onatisi. Don't give up on them, they need ur fatherly enlightenment....

You are one of the few persons whose posts are always mature ‎​Άnd laced with gems of knowledge.

More grease 2 ur elbow....
And
More Amala to ur plate... grin grin
Re: Ogun State Governor, Amosun Emerges Best Security Conscious Gov In W’africa by Gbawe: 10:44pm On Oct 26, 2012
GARRI (x7):
@Gbawe: On a serious note what do you do for a living??

Here on NL you sound like one of those Profs in UI who enjoy imparting knowledge to others (though I can't fail to notice ur obsession with ACN)

Pls keep educating ignorant folks like Onatisi. Don't give up on them, they need ur fatherly enlightenment....

You are one of the few persons whose posts are always mature ‎​Άnd laced with gems of knowledge.

More grease 2 ur elbow....
And
More Amala to ur plate... grin grin

My brother, I enjoy reading from amicable and witty Nairalanders like you. You make this place a little enjoyable in the midst of all the ethnic hatred and e-fights. As per what I do, suffice to say I have absolutely nothing to do with politics in real life. I am just someone interested in Nigerians getting a 'better deal'.

The ACN thing is because I am a pragmatist who believe in the notion of the lesser devil till evolution delivers the "beautiful ones". We all have to make choices, however tough it is to do so, and pitch our tent somewhere. Apathy is really not an option. Mind you, this has never stopped me supporting Nigerian administrators who are performing - wherever they are in Nigeria and whatever Party they belong to. The amala prayer I say amen to. With obe ewedu grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Was Only Joking When He Said He Won't Run In 2015 - Abati / Amaechi Is A Beneficiary Of The ‘missing’ $5 Billion ECA Fund-fg / ROAD TO 2015 Presidential Election: Who Is Best For The Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.