Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,683 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 (5650 Views)

Document Of Nigeria's Amalgamation In 1914 (picture) / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate / The Ekumeku War Of Western Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by nku5: 4:20pm On Oct 27, 2012
Memorial to the Ekumeku Guerilla resistance movement of Western Igboland or Anioma. One of the longest sustained resistance movements against British occupation- 17 years from 1897-1914. The Ekumeku resistance movement was one of the few centralised resistance movements of the disparate Igbo States. Comprising warriors from an area stretching from Onitsha through Asaba, all the way to Agbor.

The movement succeeded in sacking some of the Royal Niger Company's outposts in Western Igboland and was greatly feared by the British not just for for the sophistication/ferocity of their attacks (tactics including night-time raids and tactical alternation between guerilla and conventional warfare) but the resilience of the movement.

The Ekumeku suffered serious reprisals from the British, with their leaders captured and several killed in 1902, for which the Ekumeku reprised in 1904. In 1909 at Ogwashi Uku, which the Ekumeku repelled successfully. In 1911, the Ekumeku's leaders were once again rounded up, of which the Ekumeku unsuccessfully attempted reprisal.

The name Ekumeku or Ekwumekwu (meaning "be silent" or "do not speak about it") was sourced from the Cultist origins of the movement and the stealth with which the warriors operated. It is said that the Ekumeku movement inspired the Mau Mau of Kenya. The Ekwumekwu rivalled the Zulus in their resistance of British domination.

Some of the greatest Ekwumekwu warriors included Dunkwu Isus and Ochei Nwayazia of Onicha Olona, Mokobia Odiajo and Nwaiyogolo of Ogwashi-Uku, Monye Ukpe and Diei Nwobodo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 27, 2012
nku5: Memorial to the Ekumeku Guerilla resistance movement of Western Igboland or Anioma. One of the longest sustained resistance movements against British occupation- 17 years from 1897-1914. The Ekumeku resistance movement was one of the few centralised resistance movements of the disparate Igbo States. Comprising warriors from an area stretching from Onitsha through Asaba, all the way to Agbor.

The movement succeeded in sacking some of the Royal Niger Company's outposts in Western Igboland and was greatly feared by the British not just for for the sophistication/ferocity of their attacks (tactics including night-time raids and tactical alternation between guerilla and conventional warfare) but the resilience of the movement.

The Ekumeku suffered serious reprisals from the British, with their leaders captured and several killed in 1902, for which the Ekumeku reprised in 1904. In 1909 at Ogwashi Uku, which the Ekumeku repelled successfully. In 1911, the Ekumeku's leaders were once again rounded up, of which the Ekumeku unsuccessfully attempted reprisal.

The name Ekumeku or Ekwumekwu (meaning "be silent" or "do not speak about it"wink was sourced from the Cultist origins of the movement and the stealth with which the warriors operated. It is said that the Ekumeku movement inspired the Mau Mau of Kenya. The Ekwumekwu rivalled the Zulus in their resistance of British domination.

Some of the greatest Ekwumekwu warriors included Dunkwu Isus and Ochei Nwayazia of Onicha Olona, Mokobia Odiajo and Nwaiyogolo of Ogwashi-Uku, Monye Ukpe and Diei Nwobodo

Why don't we have monuments to these heroes in places like Enugu, Onitsha and Owerri?

Statues of them, with plaques and inscriptions?
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by ebere1712: 9:38am On Oct 28, 2012
Great post. ndi dike alaigbo. You have my respects cool This is when men were men.

1 Like

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by nku5: 1:06pm On Oct 28, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Why don't we have monuments to these heroes in places like Enugu, Onitsha and Owerri?

Statues of them, with plaques and inscriptions?

Yes we do in Asaba

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by nku5: 2:31pm On Oct 28, 2012
An Ekumeku sword. A very sturdy blade that is a joy for close quarter hand to hand fighting

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 2:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
Igbo language was used in the organisation of this war. The warriors all spoke Igbo and never saw each other as Ika or Ukwuani.
It's a pity some of the grand children of these warriors have brought division and denial into what held us together-Igbo.
TOO SAD.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by sheyguy: 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2012
Source
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2012
sheyguy: Source
What sort of source?. If I suggest that Afenifere or OPC members use yoruba language as a means of discussion, whould any sane person ask for a source?.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 28, 2012
How interesting. Is it only a statue that they have? They should be included in museums as well.

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by nku5: 3:52pm On Oct 28, 2012
Very sad but I'm happy to say that we are coming through the dark patch of our history and waking up at last. The younger generations are learning the hard way what their identity really is but at least they are learning.

Andre Uweh: Igbo language was used in the organisation of this war. The warriors all spoke Igbo and never saw each other as Ika or Ukwuani.
It's a pity some of the grand children of these warriors have brought division and denial into what held us together-Igbo.
TOO SAD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 4:02pm On Oct 28, 2012
nku5: Very sad but I'm happy to say that we are coming through the dark patch of our history and waking up at last. The younger generations are learning the hard way what their identity really is but at least they are learning.

It's so interesting seeing almost all the traditional rulers of Delta Igbo at the last Igbo day celebration in Asaba organised by Ohanaeze.
There is hope.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by sheyguy: 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2012
Andre Uweh:
What sort of source?. If I suggest that Afenifere or OPC members use yoruba language as a means of discussion, whould any sane person ask for a source?.
Yoruba is not the Opposite of Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by aljharem(m): 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
sheyguy: Yoruba is [size=18pt]not[/size] the Opposite of Igbo.

Let it ring in
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by UncleJJ(m): 4:30pm On Oct 28, 2012
alj harem:

Let it ring in

I think the ibo youth"s r hungry for blood. You guys better use this energy to build more factories.

So, your children...can rule this country manufacturing industries.of tommorow.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by Noiseless2: 6:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
No wonder the evil British hated everything Igbo,as there was never easy conquest and rule in the whole of alaigbo the land of ODOGWUS/DIKES. What a shame the Illegal British migrants into Alaigbo were so ashamed of the resistance that they would rather not talk about it, bunch of wankers!
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by redsun(m): 6:50pm On Oct 28, 2012
Our ancestors were very patriotic and organized.They had functional societies built on traditions and precedences.Though not the oyinbo way,but the african way,the way that was harmonious and compatible with nature and their lives.

The ways we lost as 21st century africans,caught up in limbo that is not defined.We are not africans,we are not oyinbos,therefore are nothing.That is why "blackman" is seen as scum and least respected human alive today.

2 Likes

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 7:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
sheyguy: Yoruba is not the Opposite of Igbo.
Did I say Yoruba is the opposite of Igbo.
If OPC or Afenifere are having a meeting, only an insane person will ask what language they use in their deliberation.
I don't really understand your logic here. Quit the thread if you have nothing useful to say. Are you suggesting that am wrong by claiming that these Igbo warriors saw one another as Igbo, spoke Igbo to one another and Igbo language used in their plan and execution of the war.
Do you need to buy a brain to understand what I mean?.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by sheyguy: 7:16pm On Oct 28, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Did I say Yoruba is the opposite of Igbo.
If OPC or Afenifere are having a meeting, only an insane person will ask what language they use in their deliberation.
I don't really understand your logic here. Quit the thread if you have nothing useful to say. Are you suggesting that am wrong by claiming that these Igbo warriors saw one another as Igbo, spoke Igbo to one another and Igbo language used in their plan and execution of the war.
Do you need to buy a brain to understand what I mean?.
Why didn't u use the North were hausa is more of an official language or use another example? As i said before, Source please? I am waiting.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 7:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
sheyguy:
Why didn't u use the North were hausa is more of an official language or use another example? As i said before, Source please? I am waiting.
Before I use the north, tell me if a sane person will require a source to prove that OPC and Afenifere use yoruba language for deliberations.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by sheyguy: 7:37pm On Oct 28, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Before I use the north, tell me if a sane person will require a source to prove that OPC and Afenifere use yoruba language for deliberations.
Must you make every thread a Yoruba vs Igbo thread? You did not have to mention Yoruba at all, atleast for the avoidance of trouble. Btw, my original question still remains . . . Source?
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2012
sheyguy: Must you make every thread a Yoruba vs Igbo thread? You did not have to mention Yoruba at all, atleast for the avoidance of trouble. Btw, my original question still remains . . . Source?
I couldn't use Hausa because I do not know any Hausa socio cultural group nor any Hausa militant group.
I have to use a place I grew up and have familiarity than a place I don't know.
In this case, you will get a source first that Afenifere or Opc do not use yoruba as a means of deliberation.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by sheyguy: 8:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
Scam thread! Scam thread!! Scam thread!!!
Give us source, a reference material, don't tell me it has been on the net or it suddenly jumped from no where in the public domain. Give us a source please.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 8:21pm On Oct 28, 2012
sheyguy: Scam thread! Scam thread!! Scam thread!!!
Give us source, a reference material, don't tell me it has been on the net or it suddenly jumped from no where in the public domain. Give us a source please.

http://www.articlesbase.com/culture-articles/ekumeku-war-of-the-anioma-people-2316537.html

Now forever keep calm.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by martinseme: 9:04pm On Oct 28, 2012
As a igbo man today am so glad and joyful that the resistance of those heathen igbo men were defeated back then. Am certain the demonic idols being worshiped back then were behind those resistance. I thank God for using those white missionaries to bring salvation to the whole igbo land the jews of Africa. God bless the souls of those courageous white men.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by sheyguy: 9:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
Andre Uweh:

http://www.articlesbase.com/culture-articles/ekumeku-war-of-the-anioma-people-2316537.html

Now forever keep calm.
Scam. A reliable source please? Not one hurriedly uploaded to a community site.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by macjive01: 9:33pm On Oct 28, 2012
Ohaneze really need to champion the building of majestic museum for the igbo nation.
Our noble culture and imperious bravado needs to be re-told and preserved for eternity .
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by nku5: 9:35pm On Oct 28, 2012
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by AndreUweh(m): 10:05pm On Oct 28, 2012
martinseme: As a igbo man today am so glad and joyful that the resistance of those heathen igbo men were defeated back then. Am certain the demonic idols being worshiped back then were behind those resistance. I thank God for using those white missionaries to bring salvation to the whole igbo land the jews of Africa. God bless the souls of those courageous white men.
Dude, stop chatting crap from your keyboard. Which Igboman worshipped demonic idol before the whiteman came?. The same same Jews you mentioned here worshipped the same God our Igbo ancestors worshipped. Why not say Jews worship demonic idols.
From day one, Ndigbo worshipped Chukwu but the concept of Jesus Christ was not known to them untill the missionaries came.
If you feel your grandparents worshipped demonic idols, then that should be exclusive to your family and not Ndigbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by redsun(m): 10:28pm On Oct 28, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Dude, stop chatting crap from your keyboard. Which Igboman worshipped demonic idol before the whiteman came?. The same same Jews you mentioned here worshipped the same God our Igbo ancestors worshipped. Why not say Jews worship demonic idols.
From day one, Ndigbo worshipped Chukwu but the concept of Jesus Christ was not known to them untill the missionaries came.
If you feel your grandparents worshipped demonic idols, then that should be exclusive to your family and not Ndigbo.

Maybe he as unfortunate to be of osu descendant,so oyinbos intervention was some kind of divine intervention to his lineage,which is understandable on his side.But the same intervention brought chaos and abomination on the side of established authorities and traditions of the time.The chaos and abominations that still lingers on till this day.

Osondi,owendi.
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by NegroNtns(m): 4:11am On Oct 29, 2012
@Post,

You ought to cover face in shame. What was the casualty on their side?
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by Chyz2: 5:28am On Oct 29, 2012
My history cool
Re: The Ekumeku Resistance 1897-1914 by macjive01: 10:51am On Oct 29, 2012
Igbo taught Egyptian pyramid building , doubt it try visiting Nsu pyramid in Enugu and see majestic igbo architecture still standing after millenniums

(1) (2) (Reply)

National Value, The Solution To Nigeria And Africa Problem / Ndoki Are Ijaw Only For Political purpose---Ijaw National Congress / 2019 Election Budget: Senate Debates N53.6bn Vote For Security Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.