Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

David Oyelowo Is Ballin Big Time In Hollywood! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / David Oyelowo Is Ballin Big Time In Hollywood! (1245 Views)

Omotola Looks Stunning In Ebony Event In Hollywood (photos) / Lepacious Bose Shares New Photos, Tucks Shirt In For The 1st Time In 15years / David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

David Oyelowo Is Ballin Big Time In Hollywood! by AfroBlue(m): 6:13pm On Oct 28, 2012
[b]David Oyelowo comes out of 'Nowhere' to become star

Andrea Mandell, USA

This month, David Oyelowo premieres two films back-to-back: romantic indie 'Middle of Nowhere' (in select theaters this weekend) and Lee Daniels' erotic noir 'The Paperboy,' which opened on Friday.

10:46AM EDT October 11. 2012 - STUDIO CITY, Calif. — David Oyelowo is in the middle of a moment.

Last year, the British actor broke out in two big roles, as a preacher in The Help and a nefarious biotech boss in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Both films dominated the box office in August 2011.

This month, he's premiering two films back-to-back: romantic indie Middle of Nowhere (in select theaters this weekend) and erotic noir The Paperboy, which opened Friday.

His résumé continues to expand over the holidays. It's Oyelowo's voice that intones the Gettysburg Address in the first Lincoln trailer; he plays a Union cavalryman in the film, out Nov. 9. And in December, Jack Reacher, in which he stars opposite Tom Cruise, will round out his year.

This moment feels "cumulative," he says as he settles into a booth at Ye Olde Kings Head Pub, not far from the home he shares with his wife, actress Jessica Oyelowo, and their four children, ages 10 months to 10 years.

Born in the United Kingdom and raised for part of his childhood in Nigeria, Oyelowo trained at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts. Five years ago, he moved from London to L.A. with his family, and he has since found friends in the right places. After meeting Lee Daniels (Precious), Oyelowo first signed on to play Martin Luther King Jr. in Selma, a Daniels project that lost funding mere months before it went into production.

When the director moved on to The Paperboy, he rewrote the character of Yardley, an aristocratic Miami Times journalist submerged in a racially charged investigation in 1960s-set Florida, as black for Oyelowo.

"He didn't want to play it at first," says Daniels. "He didn't understand it. I said, 'Look it, I told you I was working with you. My word is my word. You're working on my next film. This is my next film. You're with me.'"

"I literally remember saying to him, 'What are we doing?'" says Oyelowo, who led a prayer circle with Daniels, Nicole Kidman, Matthew Conaughey and John Cusack before one the The Paperboy's lurid sex scenes. "What we had been talking about for two years was Martin Luther King Jr. This is from heaven to hell right here. I had to really pray about it before I signed on to it."

The risk paid off. USA TODAY critic Claudia Puig lauded the film's ensemble cast, and Oyelowo has since wrapped Daniels' next film, The Butler, playing the increasingly radical son of Forest Whitaker's character, a White House butler, and Oprah Winfrey's.

On Friday, Oyelowo shows off a softer side in Middle of Nowhere, which won a tweet of praise from Winfrey on Tuesday, commending director Ava DuVernay on "an excellent job, especially with no money." In the indie, Oyelowo plays a romantic lead, a role akin to the characters he admired in Spike Lee films growing up: "black characters who have a voice who are the center of their own story, there's a poeticism and a lyricism to them, they're three-dimensional," he says. "I love getting to play an ordinary African American who was falling for a woman, and it wasn't about being a player. It was just boy meets girl."

But the best day of his career? That was being pulled from a hillside on the set of Lincoln at Cruise's request to film a last-minute car crash on Jack Reacher. "I had 24 hours where I was with Daniel Day-Lewis and Spielberg by day, (then) Tom sent a jet for me. He was like, 'We've got this stunt, and we need you.'"

"For me, that day kind of crystalized the epitome of what you could hope for as a young actor in Hollywood, because I got to be with, for me, the actor's actor in the shape of Daniel Day-Lewis (playing Lincoln) and the movie star's movie star in the shape of Tom Cruise. It was a moment, shall we say."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2012/10/10/david-oyelowo-the-paperboy-and-middle-of-nowhere/1620649/[/b]
Re: David Oyelowo Is Ballin Big Time In Hollywood! by AfroBlue(m): 7:15pm On Oct 28, 2012
British Thespian David Oyelowo Set to Play Sugar Ray Robinson in ‘Sweet Thunder’

by blackthespian on October 19, 2012

Actor David Oyelowo will putting on the boxing gloves to play iconic boxer Sugar Ray Robinson in a biopic based on the Wil Haygood biography, Sweet Thunder: The Life And Times Of Sugar Ray Robinson.

According to Deadline.com, Moneyball producer Rachael Horovitz and Game Change writer Danny Strong will produce, and Oyelowo will executive produce. Haygood has already written the first draft of the script but the project hasn’t attached a director yet.

The project came together on the set of the Lee Daniels-directed The Butler, the film that Oyelowo stars in with Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker.

Oyelowo is a thespian on the rise and is recognized for his work on the British spy series MI-5, and he recently starred in the critically-acclaimed film Middle Of Nowhere. He was also in the film The Paperboy, and this fall he stars opposite Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher.

The 36-year-old Brit also appears in a small role in Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln with Daniel Day-Lewis.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-HX1c6zqxMNs/T1u2y1MRqWI/AAAAAAAACyk/ThpAYqu5Z4M/s1600/MuhammadAli_SugarRayRobinson_JoeLouis.jpg[/img]

(1) (Reply)

Its Öluwaseun Osewa's Birthday. / Kim & Kanye REJECT Huge Amount For Baby Pics / Nigerian Girls Be Hating Toolz, Protest Against Her On Twittter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.