Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,712 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character (76385 Views)

Lupita Nyong’o Welcomes David Oyelowo To Insta, Teaches Him How To Use The App / Ejiofor And Oyelowo To Be Honoured In Hollywood For Outstanding Philanthropy / Nigerian Actor, David Oyelowo To Play 'james Bond' Role In New Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by godfreyakpoguma(m): 12:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nigerian Actor Becomes First Black Man To Perform James Bond Character

David Oyelowo will play James Bond. Although his performance will be heard rather than seen – in an audiobook.

The announcement on Thursday follows long-standing rumours that Idris Elba is in line to replace Daniel Craig when the latter’s run playing James Bond on the big screen comes to an end, potentially in two movies’ time.

Oyelowo’s previous roles include Henry VI for the Royal Shakespeare Company – which made him the first black actor to play an English king in a major Shakespeare production. He also played the MI5 officer Danny Hunter in the BBC TV drama Spooks and was acclaimed for his performance as Martin Luther King in Selma.

Oyelowo will play Bond, and other characters, in the audiobook version of Trigger Mortis, written by Anthony Horowitz and commissioned by the Ian Fleming estate.

Describing himself as “very honoured”, Oyelowo said: “I am officially the only person on planet Earth who can legitimately say: ‘I am the new James Bond’ – even saying that name is the cinematic equivalent of doing the ‘to be or not to be’ speech.”

He added: “I was asked specifically by the Fleming estate, which is really special.”

Born in Oxford to Nigerian parents, his performance as Henry VI drew critical acclaim, but also “very real resistance”, particularly from one academic. Oyelowo said: “He said that we open ourselves to ridicule if we allow black people to play English kings when English kings have never been black. But I’ve never seen an Egyptian play Cleopatra ... so it’s a nonsensical statement.”

Oyelowo, centre, as Martin Luther King in Selma. Photograph: Paramount/Everett Collection
The actor received hate mail that came “in the guise of fan mail”. He said: “I had to have my agent filter mail ... it was hate mail. It was: ‘How dare you enter a realm that is not yours to enter?’ One slipped through the net … it’s upsetting ... I had letters coming through to the stage door.”

He added: “This was over 10 years ago -so you’d hope that wouldn’t be the case now.”

But Oyelowo believes black actors still have huge obstacles to overcome. He is not alone. The director Rufus Norris has said that the UK still lags behind the US in casting black actors, while the comedian Lenny Henry has spoken of work having “dried up” for home-grown black, Asian and minority actors. David Harewood, who stars in the hit drama Homeland, is among black actors who have left Britain to find work.

Oyelowo also left the UK – in 2007 – and lives in Los Angeles. He said: “Part of the reason I moved to America was I could feel my head bobbing against this glass ceiling that wasn’t going to break.” Yet when black actors are given the opportunity, some “great work” happens, he said, adding: “That should be rewarded with more opportunity.”

Part of the problem lies in the disproportionate number of negative roles that are offered to black actors. Oyelowo is disturbed by the focus on white protagonists within dramas. He said: “It’s how few times we get to be the protagonist ... and how few times the world is seen through our eyes.”

Oyelowo said things will change for the better when a “white kid in Birmingham” can watch a TV show or film through a black actor’s eyes and “feels as much like him as the next person”.

He added: “If that young boy is always seeing [black characters] as on the periphery ... that’s going to be his world view, that someone like [that] is always on the periphery – and, by virtue of that fact, less important.”

Oyelowo acknowledges the industry is aware of the need for change, but he said: “It is [aware] verbally, but not in action. There is a cerebral desire to do it, but that’s not worked its way down to the heart yet. Because, if it did, then things wouldn’t be regressing, which they are.”

Asked why there is a resistance to change, he said: “It’s the status quo. A lot of it is subconscious. Some of it I do think is racism.”

Elba, who rose to fame in The Wire, has been rumoured to be among the frontrunners to replace Craig, and would be the first black actor to play the spy on screen if he secured the role. Although Elba appeared to distance himself from the rumours, Oyelowo said he was “ripe” for the role.

He said: “A titan on screen, he has all the qualities that you’d want in a James Bond. Because films and TV affect culture, a black Bond would be a cultural event ... a statement ... beyond just entertainment.”

More than 100m Bond books have been sold worldwide. Fleming wrote 14 and his estate has since commissioned new adventures from various authors, including Kingsley Amis.

Horowitz has written more than 40 books and, as a television screenwriter, created the Bafta-winning Foyle’s War. Oyelowo described his Bond as “a man who is very self-assured” but not perfect.

In a statement, Horowitz said: “What an honour to have an actor as talented as David to read my take on Bond. He has a brilliant voice and talent for bringing out the nuances of dialogue and characters.”

This article was amended on Thursday 13 August 2015. The original article’s headline and opening paragraphs stated that David Oyelowo would be the first black actor to play James Bond, across any medium. In fact, Hugh Quarshie played the character when he read the audiobook version of Dr No in 2012. This article has been corrected accordingly.

www.theguardian.com/film/2015/aug/13/david-oyelowo-first-black-actor-james-bond-trigger-mortis-audiobook

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by BigJakie: 12:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
ok
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by powerfulsettingz: 12:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
In person of odunlade adekola

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Houseofglam7(f): 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
Bravo!
Nigerian men representing!!!

10 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by jammani(m): 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
James Oyelowo Bond grin

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by MrFlavvor(m): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
give me 60 likes! angry

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Omotayor123(f): 2:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nigeria my County tongue

We go still get person wey go act undertaker & hulk Hogan.

3 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Chestar5(f): 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
Hmmn, good

NO TRIBALISTIC COMMENTS IN CASE IT MAKES FP PLEASE cry

6 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by youngice(m): 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
Why didn't dey pick Mr ibru

22 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by DrayZee: 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
Correct guy. Make us proud man!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Georgekyrian(m): 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2015

3 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by ladyF(f): 3:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nigerians are representing.

Its [size=20pt]LadyBond[/size] again grin grin lol

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by kennydee05(m): 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
Naturally Nigerians are resourceful but our government can be frustrating sometimes

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by kobonaire(m): 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
Georgekyrian:
or maybe agent 419 grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by eleojo23: 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
Cool.
But it would have been way cooler to see him acting on the big screen rather than just doing the voicing for an audio book.

3 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
Audio what

So we will not be seeing him

1 Like

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by joystickextendr: 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
okay
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by johnwizey: 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nice one

Proudly Yoruba

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by dapsoneh: 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
Good to hear

1 Like

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by lovelyadeola(m): 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
Naija Representing...
Checkout my signature..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by ojemglo(m): 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
GREAT NIJA PEOPLE SINCE AGES.............I BEG I WANT ACT WAKA PASS FOR NIGERIA MOVIE ANY BODY GET THERE CONTACT??
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Emmafrancis: 3:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
Geg
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by doublewisdom: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2015
"play James Bond" keh?
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by donbugy(m): 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2015
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by OgidiOlu3(m): 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2015
What nonsense?! We want to see him on the big screen acting Bond not some damn audiobooks angry

6 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Brightology2(m): 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2015
K
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by davidihno1(m): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
Smh
Good to know
Half bread is better than biscuit
But i would have like to see him in the big screen rolling out with the big boys

3 Likes

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
That's Mrcork friend cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by ephi123(f): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
Nigerian or British man?
Just kidding.
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by Markieee(m): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
Lol OK.. Congrats
Re: David Oyelowo To Play James Bond Character by CharlieMaria(m): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
O

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"I Was Shot For Nothing In South Africa" - AY Says (Photo) / The Biography & Profile Of Efe (Big Brother Naija) / Gifty Shares Another Nude Picture On Instagram, Fans React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.